Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got 2 questions.
1. Is reckless ability affected by life orb recoil?
2. Does king's rock affect moves that already have a flinch rate?

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Keldeo is easily the best abuser of choice scarf on a rain team. It doesnt need the added power of LO or Specs because of rain boosted STAB moves. It has great speed to abuse scarf, outspeeding every (common) pokemon outside of + 2 sand rush/chloro pokes and scarf latios. It doesnt handle sun as well as another great scarf user as latios, but it does the job pretty well.

One thing I would suggest for your team is if you want to really use it competitively, is to get rid of Sceptile. It's really not that effective in the meta right now and is easily walled.

Are there Pokemon that could be classified as 'anti-priority'?

For example, Jellicent lols at every priority move except Sucker Punch; as well as a predicted grass attack from Breloom.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are there Pokemon that could be classified as 'anti-priority'?

For example, Jellicent lols at every priority move except Sucker Punch; as well as a predicted grass attack from Breloom.
Ghosts, Steels, and Waters do a nice job. Empoleon resists all but Mach Punch. Suicune can take Shards and BP's. Gengar walls Breloom all day. However, Jellicent is probably the best one

Huh. I've never thought of that before.

I guess most physically defensive Steel-types could count, given they resist all but a few priority attacks, and Vacuum Wave is the only special priority attack. Metagross is a possible example, being neutral to half of the priority moves and resisting the rest. Ferrothorn might be a better example, as it has Iron Barbs to discourage contact moves, though it doesn't like taking a +2 Mach Punch from Techniloom.

Dammit, I was about to go to sleep when I read this and it got me going.

Thanks for the replies. I do pride myself in asking intelligent questions...sometimes.

I'm still looking for something that synergises well with SubSD Terrakion, i.e things that can check priority and actually do something that helps Terry sweep.

Landorus-T is pretty good too, since it has Intimidate, and very few priority moves are special. The only ones it can't take are Ice Shard and Aqua Jet.

Thanks for the replies. I do pride myself in asking intelligent questions...sometimes.

I'm still looking for something that synergises well with SubSD Terrakion, i.e things that can check priority and actually do something that helps Terry sweep.

Landorus-T is pretty good too, since it has Intimidate, and very few priority moves are special. The only ones it can't take are Ice Shard and Aqua Jet.
If you're using SubSD Terrakion, then it is likely you're running some sort of offensive team, meaning that synergy is not your top priority, moreso being able to break through walls to allow Terrakion to sweep. I used Specs Keldeo alongside SubSD Terrakion pretty extensively and as a pair they are amazing, as they both eliminate eachother's counters while Keldeo has the bulk and typing to deal with most common priority in the tier (resists Bullet Punch, Sucker Punch + Ice Shard, while both Extremespeed and Mach Punch need multiple boosts to beat Keldeo). Pretty much any variant of Keldeo will work well alongside Terrakion as Terrakion needs boosts to break through Skarm, Gliscor, etc. all of which Keldeo beats. It's also worth mentioning that Keldeo as a special sweeper is not beaten by Chansey either, one of the few Pokemon in the game to do so.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Amoonguss would be an issue if Keldeo doesn't have any HP/Icy Wind to hit him as that shroom also wall some Terrakion versions, but I think your Keldeo was supposed to carry it anyway.

For another Terrakion partner, Celebi works fine, he can tank what Terrakion hates with his decent bulk like EQ and Fighting moves, hit hard with Psychic/Leaf Storm the classical Terrakion counters, U-Turn to lure Dark atack to Terrakion and deal some extra damage against the Psy pokemons.
And there are many other options such as T-Wave, screens, SR, etc.

Hope it helped a bit!

Idk if I should post this but....
I am thinking about ROM hacking FireRed to make some tweaks to improve gameplay,
but can I place the ROM back onto the real cartridge at all rather than some crappy
flashcart? Btw I haven't got any ROMs/emulators yet cuz i'm still thinking about legality issues-The stuff about owning the cart/console is a myth-Its still illegal.

Idk if I should post this but....
I am thinking about ROM hacking FireRed to make some tweaks to improve gameplay,
but can I place the ROM back onto the real cartridge at all rather than some crappy
flashcart? Btw I haven't got any ROMs/emulators yet cuz i'm still thinking about legality issues-The stuff about owning the cart/console is a myth-Its still illegal.
I don't think you can but this isn't the best place to ask, Smogon doesn't support ROMs (anti-piracy).

My question:
Which 6 Pokémon have the largest and smallest sprites (as in occupying the most pixels)

Its confusing. Pokesav edits data on the cart, so Idk whether the same applies to hacked ROM
and FireRed version. I really want to put Maxie and Archie in the game...And play it on my GBA
Zaccheus. I know of one hideously giant sprite:
MAMOSWINE-Might take the most pixels

I don't think you can but this isn't the best place to ask, Smogon doesn't support ROMs (anti-piracy).

My question:
Which 6 Pokémon have the largest and smallest sprites (as in occupying the most pixels)
IIRC the 6 smallest are Shaymin, Joltik, Diglett, Natu, Pichu and Tynamo

EDIT: Not too sure on Tynamo now.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll try Latios and Keldeo out. Regarding this
One thing I would suggest for your team is if you want to really use it competitively, is to get rid of Sceptile. It's really not that effective in the meta right now and is easily walled.
On the contrary, I've found it to be surprisingly useful. A SubPetaya set with Unburden is capable of plowing through offensive teams lacking priority (Rain offense for example - the only common wall is Ferrothorn, which Focus Blast destroys, and revenging with Tornadus-T or Genesect is out of the question once Unburden is activated)when it manages to get a Substitute up. In addition, many of the walls that are effective at defeating it are becoming less common, or, like Heatran, easily handled by Rain.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

My question:
Many of the legendaries are gigantic- Reshiram is huge, as is Dialga, Palkia, Zekrom, and Groudon. Arceus, Kyogre, Kyurem-B&W, Rayquaza, Lugia, and Ho-Oh probably top the list as well. IIRC Reshiram is definitely the most pixel hogging pokemon though.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
the gist of it is that a massive offensive movepool makes it almost uncounterable if it can get in safely. also has uturn, levitate and roost both of which are quite useful on dragons just in general. not so great in this offensive metagame though, since it's easily checked and speed tiers right now are so far over its head. it would give stall a bad day if there was any stall around lol, seeing as chansey is the only real solution to it and it can be worn down without too much difficulty

as a choiced dragon, hydreigon is generally outclassed by latios (its speed tier is so much worse and its broad movepool heavily rewards being able to switch moves). its only real advantage is uturn as a choice user. LO/ebelt is the way to go

Hey guys, quick question. I have 2 Virizion, both Timid.

Virizion 1 has
28/x/15/24/29/27

Virizion 2 has
31/x/27/21/6/29 IVs.

Which one is better? How well will they do in PWT/Subway? (only using them for this) Should I try and get a better one?

How good is Swords Dance, Adamant with Quick Attack for surprise/speed factors or is Jolly still better?

Sorry for all the questions, I just really like this legendary.

@JKickit

The second will be better, mostly due to the better speed stat.

If you are looking to get as far as possible in the Super Subway Trains, you will need perfect IV'd and EV'd pokemon. Both of the Virizion will do fine in the Normal Subway trains and most likely the PWT too.

Jolly will almost always be better than Adamant as you are otherwise outsped by a lot more pokemon.

@JKickit

The second will be better, mostly due to the better speed stat.

If you are looking to get as far as possible in the Super Subway Trains, you will need perfect IV'd and EV'd pokemon. Both of the Virizion will do fine in the Normal Subway trains and most likely the PWT too.

Jolly will almost always be better than Adamant as you are otherwise outsped by a lot more pokemon.
Thanks! I thought I wouldn't get an answer.

It's absolutely necessary for it to be perfect in IVs, not even decent/great whilst being EV trained too?

Eh, I was trying to be a bit original with it. Adamant, Life Orb, Swords Dance for power. Hell, maybe even Max HP/Atk and Quick Attack for speed.

If you say Jolly's better, then I guess you're right. I was just trying to change it up a bit.

Also, do you prefer Timid (Powerful) or Jolly (reliable because no Focus Miss)?

There is no "surprise factor" against an AI. Quick Attack would prove to be laughably weak unless you are at +6 and only serve to finish off opponents at 5% health or less usually. It's always helpful to have flawless IVs in any area of Pokémon, but it's never truly necessary, just highly recommended. Also, as a general rule of thumb, when playing in the Battle Subway, avoid using low accuracy moves at all costs so I would say don't use Focus Blast

Alright, cool.
So a Virizion with OR without Focus Blast is rather useless in Subway. I don't see any use besides Calm Mind, Giga Drain, and like 2 non-attacking moves or something since that's all it has.

I may have to rethink this and go Jolly or Dual Screen if I still want Timid.

Alright, cool.
So a Virizion with OR without Focus Blast is rather useless in Subway. I don't see any use besides Calm Mind, Giga Drain, and like 2 non-attacking moves or something since that's all it has.

I may have to rethink this and go Jolly or Dual Screen if I still want Timid.
If you still need help with the Battle Subway, this thread is dedicated to it and full of people who will be able to help you: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102593

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so I make a lot of RMT's and I try to make them look as professional as possible, so one thing that drives me crazy is sub titles on the hide/show option instead of the ......

Nipple

How do you make it so instead of .... it says like Team Building or something of that nature? Thanks. This has been driving me nuts for 2 years lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)