Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What 'mons/sets can best use Red Card? I thought I've seen Skarmory or Forretress sets with it, but I can't seem to find them.

Hi guys, how do i go about asking for recommendation to fight against a team ? that friend of mine kept on winning me with this OU team

Depends on the team your friend is using. If it's a standard team (like Rain or HO or Trick Room), then there are lots of articles on smogon already which document the strategies and counters to each playstyle. Inluded in those are the pokemon analyses, which also have a checks and counters section on how to beat those pokemon.

If it's a radically different team, then perhaps post a short (very short) team description with members (and any particular moves of note) in this thread. Otherwise, take the cheap and immoral route, rip a team straight off the RMT forum and beat your friends pokemon to death with it.

Hi guys, how do i go about asking for recommendation to fight against a team ? that friend of mine kept on winning me with this OU team

Welll, if you're friend didn't say not to...

STUFF YOUR TEAM WITH UBERS!

If it's OU, tell us about it

My friend got this Team. The main problem is both liligant and cloyster. One will quiver dance while the other shell smash. Weather is drought. I understand from above that stealing one team from OU sections works. But then, i still lose to him consistently but with some occassion wins here and there. Hope i can get some opinions on fighting against him.

Victini
Fusion Bolt
Uturn
Brick Break
Vcreate

Heatran
Magma Storm
Earth Power
Will-o-Wisp
Taunt

Liligant
Quiver Dance
Giga Drain
Sleep powder
Hidden power rock

Ninetales
Solarbeam
Sunny day
Protect
FlameThrower

Cloyster
Shell Smash
Rock Blast
Icicle Spear
Rapid Spin

Dugtrio
EarthQuake
SuckerPunch
Reversal
Stealth Rock

Ah, a basic boosting Sun team. Well, the easy way to beat that is simply to add a DrizzleToad or a Tyranitar to your team. No kidding. Take away the weather and suddenly the team is no longer as dangerous. I would also go for Stealth Rock to make Ninetales think twice about switching in, which a TTar can also do.

It seems to me the two biggest threats on his team are Ninetales and Cloyster, as the others all rely on these two for support and thus are useless without them. As such, a decent fighting type would be very helpful, especially if it has access to rock type moves as well (Stone Edge anyone?). I'd argue LO Mienshao could knock a good chunk of that team out with a set of Stone Edge/U-Turn/HJK/HP Ice, running a Naive/Hasty nature. The good ting about Mienshao is that your opponent has no Ghost pokemon or Protect users, meaning aside from a WoW from Heatran, there is nothing to stop Mienshao from just spamming HJK all day long. Regenerator means LO won't take a huge toll, and HJK means Cloyster with think a lot before coming in, while Stone Edge keeps that blasted Ninetales at bay, and HP Ice scores SE damage against Lilligant. You could opt to run Fake Out in place of Stone Edge, but you lose out on the SE damage against Ninetales. Oh, and watch out for Victini, as its Psychic Typing resists HJK, so make sure to hit it with a Stone Edge on the way in. That thing (like all pixies) has deceptively good bulk.

So...yeah...Politoed + LO Mienshao would be my choice, maybe with a few more pokemon who can take advantage of rain (Hurricane Dragonite anyone?). Alternatively, run Kingdra with Politoed and Mienshao (note: use Sniper not Swift Swim on Kingdra due to Aldaron's Proposal) and abuse that 4x resist to fire and neutrality to grass, while hitting hard with Outrage/Draco Meteor/Waterfall/whatever you feel like. Hell, ChestoRest Kingdra could rip through half that team (assuming anyone still uses ChestoRest anything anymore these days).

Ah, a basic boosting Sun team. Well, the easy way to beat that is simply to add a DrizzleToad or a Tyranitar to your team. No kidding. Take away the weather and suddenly the team is no longer as dangerous. I would also go for Stealth Rock to make Ninetales think twice about switching in, which a TTar can also do.

It seems to me the two biggest threats on his team are Ninetales and Cloyster, as the others all rely on these two for support and thus are useless without them. As such, a decent fighting type would be very helpful, especially if it has access to rock type moves as well (Stone Edge anyone?). I'd argue LO Mienshao could knock a good chunk of that team out with a set of Stone Edge/U-Turn/HJK/HP Ice, running a Naive/Hasty nature. The good ting about Mienshao is that your opponent has no Ghost pokemon or Protect users, meaning aside from a WoW from Heatran, there is nothing to stop Mienshao from just spamming HJK all day long. Regenerator means LO won't take a huge toll, and HJK means Cloyster with think a lot before coming in, while Stone Edge keeps that blasted Ninetales at bay, and HP Ice scores SE damage against Lilligant. You could opt to run Fake Out in place of Stone Edge, but you lose out on the SE damage against Ninetales. Oh, and watch out for Victini, as its Psychic Typing resists HJK, so make sure to hit it with a Stone Edge on the way in. That thing (like all pixies) has deceptively good bulk.

So...yeah...Politoed + LO Mienshao would be my choice, maybe with a few more pokemon who can take advantage of rain (Hurricane Dragonite anyone?). Alternatively, run Kingdra with Politoed and Mienshao (note: use Sniper not Swift Swim on Kingdra due to Aldaron's Proposal) and abuse that 4x resist to fire and neutrality to grass, while hitting hard with Outrage/Draco Meteor/Waterfall/whatever you feel like. Hell, ChestoRest Kingdra could rip through half that team (assuming anyone still uses ChestoRest anything anymore these days).
If this is ingame, Aldaron's proposal isn't enforced

In the PO usage stats, what is the difference between "Usage" and "RealUse"? How is each calculated?
"Usage" is the percentage of teams that a Pokemon appears on during the month. So if there are 5000 games in a month, that's 10000 teams, and if a Pokemon is on 1000 of those teams it has 10% usage. "RealUse" only counts Pokemon that actually hit the field in a match, so if that same Pokemon only actually hits the field in 800 of those matches then it has a lower real use. I'm not exactly sure if the percentage for real use only includes the Pokemon that hit the field in the 100% or not so I'm not sure if it'd be 8% or some other percent in this case but whatever. Point is, we use Usage not RealUse to calculate teirs and RealUse is mostly a curiosity.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone know that if I've already activated the Arceus event and it's queued up to be downloaded, that if it'll be deleted if I don't send it to my game by tomorrow? (Should go in Orange Islands, but there's no simple question thread there.)

Does anyone know that if I've already activated the Arceus event and it's queued up to be downloaded, that if it'll be deleted if I don't send it to my game by tomorrow? (Should go in Orange Islands, but there's no simple question thread there.)
No it should still be there I think. Still don't wait too long. After you download it to your game though you can leave it languishing on the Entralink for as long as you want though, so if you have to time get to it.

Also, you can send Arceus to your game alongside 1 other Pokemon from the Isle of Dreams (I'm pretty sure all the DW event Pokemon work like this) so you don't have to worry about skipping a day.

I want to build a competitive Pokemon team of the OU tier. Not really sure which to pick though, SandStorm, Stall or any others that i havent heard of.

Anyone got any ideas?

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In all honesty, try all of them out, and see what you enjoy best. Maybe pick a few Sandstorm teams from the RMT forum, play with them a bit, try some stall etc etc. When you find a particular style that you like, building a team is so much easier. Its kind of hard for us to build a team for you, when we are not entirely sure what team style you want to play. Basically, try a few teams out, see what you like, and then we can prolly give you more concentrated advice.

ginganinja

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What 'mons/sets can best use Red Card? I thought I've seen Skarmory or Forretress sets with it, but I can't seem to find them.
Missed this. Red Card is often seen as a rather gimmicky item which is why you don't see it too often in analysis lists. Personally, the best pokemon using Red Card that I have seen, and used! was a Deoxys D with Red Card / Recycle, Spikes, Recover and Ice Beam. The Basic premise was to spike up spikes, and when you get hit Red Card activates and they get phased out, hopefully into something less threatening. Then you simply Recycle your Red Card, can heal up to full health, and you are ready to go again!

Personally I wouldn't use Red Card Skarmory, since it has Whirlwind to phase and their are better items to use on it

Are there any defensive pokemon other than slowbro that can handle SD terrakion (rock gem mostly, but hopefully sub as well)?

ginganinja

Nidoqueen.

Trouble is, not much actually beats Rock Gem Sub SD so your best bet is bringing in Gliscor, and then double switching into something like Tentacruel to take the Rock Gem Stone Edge, and then send in something that can handle normal Swords Dance. Skarmory does o.k but in general, your going to need to prevent it getting an easy sub / SD or have a revenge killer on standby

Are there any defensive pokemon other than slowbro that can handle SD terrakion (rock gem mostly, but hopefully sub as well)?
Believe it or not, Intimdate Hitmontop gets the job done against all but CB Terrakion. It takes a pittance from unboosted CC, resists Terrakion's Rock STAB and even lowers its attack as it comes in. If the jerkass tries to put up a sub switch to a Phazer, as at -1 Attack it's sure to be able to handle whatever it tries to do to you. If it doesn't sub, you OHKO with CC most of the time or at least get it within 2% of dieing at worst (any priority then fixes your problem).

But yeah, Sub SD Terrakion is one nasty piece of work, there aren't any solid counters except maybe Nidoqueen (who has a lot of drawbacks), only checks. Even Slowbro will get fucked over by a +2 X-Scissor. It requires careful play to work around.

Skarm gets 2hko'd by CB variants as well

I'll give nidoqueen a try but the lack of recovery may prove undesirable. Similar things apply for hitmontop, but that can be KO'd by a +1 cc with life orb (and comes pretty close without it anyway).

I might try max defense gliscor as it has an extremely good chance of surviving the rock gem boosted stone edge after a protect and SR. Additionally, unlike most things that can "counter" SD terrakion, gliscor actually has a chance of recovering its HP back at some point of the match.

I generally tend to play stallish teams so revenge killing is really a last resort and not letting it get an easy SD/sub can often be quite difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)