Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does Download include SpDef Sandstorm boosts / Screens / Soul Dew? In other words, would a Genesect receive an attack boost when it comes in on a 4 HP Terrakion in the sand, even though it's stats are the same?

Everwhere I've looked, it says that it is based off of the CURRENT defensive stats, so these boosts would likely be included in Download's calculation.

Screens half your special/pshysical damages, instead of doubling opponent's defenses, so download is not affected by them. For the other things, yeah, it calculates every boost to the defenses and chooses accordingly.
For example, coming in a Scarftar boosts your attack because of the SpDef boost from sandstorm. It's to be noted that in case of same defenses (like terrakion w/o sandstorm) download boosts always your special attack

I sincerely apologize is this is not the correct area to post this. I PM'd a mod but he wasn't much help, being extremely general with me and what not.

My name, story, and everything else doesn't matter much. Just know that I used to be a somewhat decent competitor on Shoddy battle, and I had a huge passion for the game (which slowly whittled away as the metagame shifted, becoming somewhat Scizor centered). I lost my fire and just quit cold turkey, but now I am back!

I've lurked for awhile and I really still am very puzzled. BW2 must've just been released roughly 1-2 months prior to me joining? Tornadus T looks broken. Etc.

So really I guess I just want to know what's really going on at this point. Maybe that's too general a statement. Who are the standard pokemon? Has team preview killed off leads for good? Also, maybe if I am allowed to ask a quick ? about this team comp I have come up with lol.

-Dragonite sweep

Dragonite, Rotom-W, Skarmory, Blissey, Terrakion, Azelf

Basically Skarmory and Blissey set up hazards while Blissey tosses status around to further dissect teams and forcing switches. Whenever Terrakion has an opening, i'll send him up (CB) and put a hole in the opponent. Azelf is (psychic, trick, flamethrower, tbolt) @ choice scarf and deals damage as well. Rotom W works to rid Dnite of some of his checks (scarved with trick as well) and finally DD nite comes in late game and sweeps with +1/2 dance extremespeed. Not sure if Azelf fits so well. Possible replacement? Any suggestions?

I really hope I don't sound like a complete idiot. I promise you, I used to know what I was doing! The new meta game is like a whole new game literally!

Once again thank you for the help, it's really appreciated!

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well to be honest, you've walked right in to a weather dominated metagame. The fact that Rain, Sand, Sun and Hail now all have a permanent weather inducer leads to a lot of matches where half the battle is a fight to control the weather.

Most of the commonly used pokemon either abuser a weather or counter a weather abuser. If you really want to see which pokes are the most common you can see the usage statistics here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3470331

If you have questions about any of the individual sets or their purpose I'm sure anybody would be happy to answer them in this thread.

As for the team you've suggested:

The standard SkarmBliss core isn't as effective as it used to be not to say its bad but BW introduced so many new mixed attackers that the core can effectively be dismantled by the many new threats such as Mixmence and Mixed Hydreigon. The idea of hazards racking up damage is also a viable strategy but I feel like if passive damage is your goal then a spin blocker would work wonders for your team. A rapid spin user might be good for you to insure Dragonite comes in with multiscale intact so he's guaranteed at least one turn of set-up. Over it seems like a solid team but it looks like you're definitely still teambuilding for DPP OU. The idea of building a team around a sweeper is still viable but much tougher to pull off in the BW meta, and you don't necessarily have a back up strategy. Other than that your team seems very unprepared for a weather oriented metagame.

I'm sure you'll regain your battling and teambuilding skills with time and practice, but if you really want a crash course you could try signing up for the next round of battling 101, the tutors are now doing BW2 OU so you can learn from the best.

Hope I could be of some help, if you want to know more just ask I'll do my best

Hey, everyone. I was thinking of building a team with Tornadus T. Here is the rough draft.

Politoed/Jirachi/Mamoswine/Tornadus T/

I'm stuck on the last two mons. I was thinking another steel, and a gastrodon. I need something that can absorb rain boosted attacks, and counter other weather. Need some help here?

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, everyone. I was thinking of building a team with Tornadus T. Here is the rough draft.

Politoed/Jirachi/Mamoswine/Tornadus T/

I'm stuck on the last two mons. I was thinking another steel, and a gastrodon. I need something that can absorb rain boosted attacks, and counter other weather. Need some help here?
Well as a counter for other weathers Dugtrio fits quite nicely with Tornadus, basically Tornadus baits a weather inducer with Hurricane and instead U-turns out into Dugtrio to trap and KO with EQ or Reversal. A set would look like this:
[pimg]51[/pimg]
Dugtrio(F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge / Sucker Punch
- Reversal

It also acts a SR setter which can be handy. However you can't exactly handle Hippowdon with this Dugtrio and hazards can make things problematic as Dugtrio needs a focus sash intact to do its job properly. So if you decide to go with Dugtrio as a team member I highly suggest Tentacruel

[pimg]73[/pimg]
Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic / Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Protect

This allows you to spin away any hazards that might be plaguing your team, SR switches on Tornadus-T can add up even with Regenerator. Scald is handy to burn opposing physical attackers who otherwise scare Tentacruel. You could also run an alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe To be a better physical wall. Or you could even run an offensive Rapid Spinning set with MAx Spe and SAtk if you find that Hippowdon is causing you troubles.

Hope I could help a bit!

Hey guys. I was just wondering, Battling 101 aside, is there anywhere else I can get help on team building? RMT doesn't really fit if one doesn't have a solid 'team' yet. And I highly doubt it warrants making a whole new thread on its own.

Been trying out heaps of cores and think I may have found something potentially useful (probably been done before, though), but have no idea how to proceed. It'll be great if I can find a place/someone experienced to have a discussion.

Hey guys. I was just wondering, Battling 101 aside, is there anywhere else I can get help on team building? RMT doesn't really fit if one doesn't have a solid 'team' yet. And I highly doubt it warrants making a whole new thread on its own.

Been trying out heaps of cores and think I may have found something potentially useful (probably been done before, though), but have no idea how to proceed. It'll be great if I can find a place/someone experienced to have a discussion.
If you want to PM me your team, I'll take a look and get back to you.

Is rapid spin always worth it?

Is Rapid spin always worth it or does it just depend on the team? I'm using a standard Starmie set with Life Orb although it really can put holes in the opposing players team early on I always feel Starmie is taken down to quickly.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Rapid Spin is only really necessary if you feel that your team can deal with hazards. Maybe you use multiple Levitate Pokemon, maybe you have several Pokemon that can heal themselves, maybe you have Magic Guard Pokemon, etc. Rapid Spin is never a bad choice, although it is an utter loss of all momentum you might have had. Only use it if you think your team really needs it.

Is Rapid spin always worth it or does it just depend on the team? I'm using a standard Starmie set with Life Orb although it really can put holes in the opposing players team early on I always feel Starmie is taken down to quickly.
Additionally your playstyle has a lot to do with it as well. If you're like me and switch constantly then you pretty much need a spinner because otherwise that hazard damage is going to wrack up fast. If your team and your playstyle doesn't require as much switching or has a lot of Pokemon resistant to hazards, or your team simply doesn't allow hazards to get set up due to the pressure it puts on the opponent, then you can probably pass on it.

In my personal experience though I've almost always found a spinner worthwhile, simply because otherwise if someone sets up loads of spikes on you and your team isn't one of the few that never switches and/or has a bunch of levitating Pokemon, you're pretty much screwed.

And if you're finding Starmie to be too frail, simply change its set a little. Life Orb isn't really very good at rapid spinning more than once, so if you need it to have a little more reliability you can replace life orb with leftovers. If you want even more survivability it can sacrifice one of its attacking moves for recover. I think you'll find it much more effective at spinning if you do that.

Hey, I haven't logged on in two years but I came back today to find my trade shop has been deleted. Is there some way to get it back? Opening another isn't what I want because I need the records I had on that thread to find out who I got certain Pokemon from (lost my Diamond version and want to see if I could salvage some of the old pokemon I got through there).

haunter

Banned deucer.
I tried to access that thread but apparently it has either been hard deleted or merged with some other. So no, I don't think you can get your trade thread back.

Well as a counter for other weathers Dugtrio fits quite nicely with Tornadus, basically Tornadus baits a weather inducer with Hurricane and instead U-turns out into Dugtrio to trap and KO with EQ or Reversal. A set would look like this:
[pimg]51[/pimg]
Dugtrio(F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge / Sucker Punch
- Reversal

It also acts a SR setter which can be handy. However you can't exactly handle Hippowdon with this Dugtrio and hazards can make things problematic as Dugtrio needs a focus sash intact to do its job properly. So if you decide to go with Dugtrio as a team member I highly suggest Tentacruel

[pimg]73[/pimg]
Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic / Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Protect

This allows you to spin away any hazards that might be plaguing your team, SR switches on Tornadus-T can add up even with Regenerator. Scald is handy to burn opposing physical attackers who otherwise scare Tentacruel. You could also run an alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe To be a better physical wall. Or you could even run an offensive Rapid Spinning set with MAx Spe and SAtk if you find that Hippowdon is causing you troubles.

Hope I could help a bit!
Thanks man! I'll try these out.

Another question, are there playstyles that doesn't make you predict as much? With certain teams, you have to predict well or you're screwed. Can you make a team, that can afford mispredicting? Sorry for being confusing.

Also, what would be the "perfect," politoed set that can counter other weather inducers and still survive?

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
Thanks man! I'll try these out.

Another question, are there playstyles that doesn't make you predict as much? With certain teams, you have to predict well or you're screwed. Can you make a team, that can afford mispredicting? Sorry for being confusing.

Also, what would be the "perfect," politoed set that can counter other weather inducers and still survive?
To be honest there are teams you can make that don't require a lot of prediction, however most of these teams are inferior play styles (i.e. baton pass) That being said if you want a team that can just put itself on "autopilot" then I might suggest a Volt-Turn team because you're really the one keeping the opponent on their toes, and you essentially get to adjust your switches catering to their moves.

In regards to a perfect politoed set to deal with other weather starters, it really depends on your playstyle. If you want Politoed to stay around longer and win the weather war late game you might try the standard physically defensive politoed. However on more hyper offensive teams I've found Choice Specs Politoed to be extremely useful as it 2HKOs specially defensive Tyranitar and specially defensive Hippowdon even in Sand, It also deals about 68% max to ninetales in Sun, which limits it to one more switch in if you have rocks up. (All those calcs are with Max SAtk Modest Hydro Pump.

@chaosnebula:
If there was a politoed set that could beat every other weather starter, rain would on almost every team (kinda like kyogre in ubers). However, I like Choice Scarf Politoed w/ Perish Song/Toxic/Scald or Hydro Pump/Filler, as it can combat pokemon that can accumulate too many boosts, such as SubCM Jirachi and last mon stat-uppers. The Scarf means that it will almost always get off an attack.

(plez Dont ban me anyone)I just want to know how to get people to exchange codes with me. Is it by posting threads like this (this is a thread right?) sorry if i broke a rule or somthing I Dont mean to. Just joined you know. Thanks

Plez Help me

(plez Dont ban me anyone)I just want to know how to get people to exchange codes with me. Is it by posting threads like this (this is a thread right?) sorry if i broke a rule or somthing I Dont mean to. Just joined you know. Thanks

Yes this is a thread. You accidentally double posted, try to avoid doing that in the future. Friend codes and other Wi-Fi stuff can be found here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Also, when you look at a user's profile, it shows you their friend code if they have any listed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)