Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 24 (READ THE OP)

I have 2 questions.

1)what is the best steel lure in OU?
I see Roselia luring a lot of steels. My personal setup with her is a utility sweeper:

Roselia @Life Orb/Black Sludge (Life Orb more often)
~Natural Cure~
Toxic Spikes
Sleep Powder
Leaf Storm
Shadow Ball

Timid
4 HP
252 SpAtk
252 Spe

So, since steel completely walls my Roselia (as well as any variant that isn't carrying HP Fire), steel switch-ins are common. Leaf Storm as well as the second attacking option, in my case Shadow Ball, and in other cases Sludge Bomb or Extrasensory, all are resisted by Steel.

So, the way to do it is to switch in Roselia on a weak type (Swampert always runs from Roselia unless they predict you well), drop Sleep Powder on the switch (added benefit of stopping Swampert if he counter-predicted your prediction of him switching and is trying to Ice Beam you), and start setting up Toxic Spikes. If you got yourself a Steel Type on the switch, you now have a sleeping opponent and Toxic Spikes up, and can switch in your Steel counter, I assume Magnezone. Even if Sleep Power misses or they wake up early you can bail and switch in your counter at any time.

If Hitmontop has Triple Kick + Technician. how strong is it?

Triple Kick is a 10 Base Power move.

and more than that.. is it worth the moveslot?

First kick would have 15 BP.
Second kick would have 30 BP.
Third kick would have 45 BP.

So it essentially adds up to 90 BP with technician, somewhere around 135 BP combined with STAB (a little off since STAB is calculated each hit, but close enough). It's not really worth a moveslot though, as Close Combat is the better offensive option. Mach Punch also isn't bad, having 90 BP and priority to back it up. Triple Kick has to pass 3 accuracy checks every turn as well, which can be off putting.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
since hitmon top gets stab + technician its 22.5 x 3 base power wich is a total of 67.5 and still pretty weak factoring in 90% acc and criticals will do less damage :/
it could be useful for breaking through subs but thats way to situational to be more than a gimmick.
Sadly he doesnt gets double kick because that could be useful.

€dit: failed to understand what triple kick does lol.
still wouldnt recommend it since passing three times a 90% acc check will make you cry often
And double kick would still be better, but he doesnt gets it sadly

Will Mesprit re release in Platinum, if you beat the Elite 4, and will it rerelease in its cave (interaction) or will it automatically rerelease?
I need to finish my Sinnoh Pokedex quick!

Not really, considering your team should have a counter to Celebi since Scizor is probably your main sweeper, and you should build a team around it, but if for some reason Scizor isn't your main sweeper for some reason, I'd just go with Adamant, and if Scizor dies, at least you did damage to Celebi, I guess, or just switch out and let Celebi get hurt enough from entry hazard and stuff to kill it with Bullet Punch.
I agree with what you said, but Jolly does have a good merit for a late game sweeping. Usually when I use an SD Scizor I run Jolly nature and it saved me several matches when my Scizor outruns standard Celebi and Steel Killer Magnezone. After that it goes on to Bullet Punch the rest of the opponent's team and win the match. It's similar concept to Jolly Lucario. Sometimes the speed difference can net me more sweep since by the end of the game most of everything will be fairly or very weaken. That extra damage doesn't always help if your Pokemon can't deliver the hit first. I suppose it depends on the team and individual's play style. I just happen to prefer speed for higher chance of sweeping and surprises.

Have a few stupid questions.

1. What does STAB stand for?
2. What are all the hidden stats? (I know of evasion, crit hit, accuracy)
3. I have heard all hidden stats have a maximum of 4 units, is this true?
4. How are they calculated? (with no crit hits boost I know that I have hit a crit hit, what is the math behind all of them)
5. I have heard that with the max of 4 on any hidden stat it is 50% ie. evasion stat raised to 4 will bring a 100% move down to 50%. Is this true?

I have tried to research all of these, hence some of the "is it true questions". I have 3 children who love this game and I want to understand it better so I can help them and also join them in their "Battles". They keep asking me to play and I want to be a little more then a cream puff.

Thanks for your time and any response is appreciated.

4. How are they calculated? (with no crit hits boost I know that I have hit a crit hit, what is the math behind all of them)
5. I have heard that with the max of 4 on any hidden stat it is 50% ie. evasion stat raised to 4 will bring a 100% move down to 50%. Is this true?

I have tried to research all of these, hence some of the "is it true questions". I have 3 children who love this game and I want to understand it better so I can help them and also join them in their "Battles". They keep asking me to play and I want to be a little more then a cream puff.

Trent covered the first question. As for the remaining questions, I'm not sure what you're asking, since "hidden stats" is not a term that we use normally.

You can try reading here for a bit more pertinent information for stats.

Critical hits can be brushed up on here.

These two pages can answer all of your questions. Good luck!

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm thinking of a team with SubWave Jirachi, a somewhat defensive Dragonite set with Roost, Fire Blast, EQ, and Outrage, Tinkerbell Celebi, SubHeatran, Cleric Blissey, and Flame Orb Heracross. What do you think the ideal lead for this team would be, out of the given pokemon? I'm open to changing sets and maybe pokemon, but the general idea of each pokemon should be kept. I've thought of substituting Machamp for Heracross, but then I lose FlameCross' amazing wallbreaking ability. I've also considered changing Jirachi to a lead version, but it loses the epic tanking ability that the subwave set has. Dragonite, if given ES, can be a great anti-lead, but then it loses the raw power that STAB Outrage has. DNite's idea is to deal damage and Roost of it, while using its great bulk and resistances to complement Jirachi. Giving it ES instead of Outrage doesn't let it accomplish that goal very easily. Celebi could begin by TWaving the opponent, then responding appropriately, but it loses to so many common leads that I find it difficult to use. This team doesn't require SR to work effectively, so that's not really necessary for this lead. What do you think would be the best for this team?

EDIT: This should probably be in the RMT forum, sorry.

you could just lead with jirachi. No one will taunt it, so just t-wave then sub up and do whatever. Your team doesnt care for SR, so it may work

I see that you did read up some, but I'm going to reply just to make sure it's clear to you.

First, a nitpick on what Trent said, apparently I'm the only one to say this but it makes much more sense, STAB means Same Type AttackING Bonus, not Attack Bonus, as Special Attack can also be used with STAB.

The only "hidden stat" I know of would be critical hits. Accuracy and evasion follow the same +-6 boost rules and percentages as Attack, Speed, etcetera. And regularly, a critical hit ratio is 6.25%, and each stage up doubles the percentage. So it would look like:
+-0 = 6.25%
+1 = 12.5%
+2 = 25%
+3 = 50%

And I'm not sure how to calculate accuracy and evasion, but they do follow the same levels as normal stats, so you could probably just multiply from there

(This is all to the best of my knowledge, I didn't look any of it up and I could be wrong.)

Alright, just straight out of the blocks I realise these are probably fairly stupid question, but hey, i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed (:

I was just wondering how I get Metang and Gible in Heart Gold? And in detail, how do I get Toxic Spikes on a Pineco/Forretress? Thanks (:

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Alright, just straight out of the blocks I realise these are probably fairly stupid question, but hey, i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed (:

I was just wondering how I get Metang and Gible in Heart Gold? And in detail, how do I get Toxic Spikes on a Pineco/Forretress? Thanks (:
http://veekun.com/ is a great resource for questions like this. Just click the locations link to find locations for each pokemon. You can't get Metang or Gible in HeartGold or SoulSilver, and Forretress gets Toxic Spikes at level 0, so you'll need to use the Move Relearner to get it.

EDIT:
you could just lead with jirachi. No one will taunt it, so just t-wave then sub up and do whatever. Your team doesnt care for SR, so it may work
Thanks.

Just reading there, it says you can get Metang by trading a Foretress to Steven at Silph Co. so, are you sure you can't get him? or is that site correct?

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
I checked on Serebii, and it says nothing about a trade, although it does point out that you can get Metang in the Safari Zone, and as with Bagon & Shelgon.

EDIT: oops, meant Gible, but the same holds

And:

I have just been looking at the Spiritomb page, and I noticed that no mention is made of OU strategies. Why is this? It has awesome typing, decent defences and a great STAB pursuit that I was looking at. Is there some reason I am overlooking about why it would not be viable in OU?
Bump.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
I checked on Serebii, and it says nothing about a trade, although it does point out that you can get Metang in the Safari Zone, and as with Bagon & Shelgon.

And:

Bump.
Spiritomb isn't really viable in OU because it has very few resistances and much lower defenses than other possible mixed walls in the tier, like Rotom formes.

EDIT: ninja'd

I would like to ask how is the weather judged if 2 inducers were sent out in the same turn. For example, Abomasnow and Kyogre were sent out in the first turn, whose weather will remain?

Just reading there, it says you can get Metang by trading a Foretress to Steven at Silph Co. so, are you sure you can't get him? or is that site correct?
you have to receive the hoenn starter from him, and then talk to him somewhere in the pewter museum if i recall correctly. then he will be in the silph Co. where he will trade a Beldum with a dawn stone attached for the foretress.

And:

Bump.
The only reason I can think of using Spiritomb in OU is if you're in a wifi battle and you don't have AR code to have Rotom formes on wifi...

Hey guys, I'm wondering, since we're apparently going to implement and allow the acidweather glitch on shoddy 2, is the same going to happen to rage+transform glitch (e.g. any pokemon with mimic can have pretty much whatever moveset it desires + one 'normal' move)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)