Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II - Read the FAQ in the Opening Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotom-W should ALWAYS run hp fire! without it all grass types will laugh at you as they set up/kill you

EDIT modest scarf Rotom hits 407 spe, more than enough to outspeed what you need to if you run timid you will be able to outspeed certain scarfed threats though
Thanks for the info about the nature, is that with max speed investment?
In my opinion choiced Rotom-W is best at the hit-and-run tactic. Chances are if a grass type comes in for the counter, I'm already choice-locked to something, so simply switching out would be best. I only see HP fire as valuable if you're coming in with Rotom-w as a counter, or if your opponent predicts your switch in. Does that justify the move slot in your opinion?

I guess a more general question I have is, what are the most effective EV spreads for choice specs and choice scarf Rotom-w? I feel like the OU analysis that has already been done conflated their EV spreads, so I'd like to know what is truly the most beneficial spread for each.

So I am trying to fill in the 2 spots on a Team Magma "Themed" team only using Gen 5 pokemon. So far I have this...

Volcarona, Haxours, Scrafty(maybe), Hydregion.

Its a dark and fire type team but as you can see, I only have 1 fire type from Gen 5. Any ideas on who else I should add so I can start testing?
Zoroark, Darmanitan, Krookodile. Btw Haxorus is dragon type, not fire or dark. Not sure if you intended that

RockinX

My goal in life is to make everyone cringe with my puns
is a Contributor Alumnus
Are stat buffs taken into account when a critical hit lands on an Unaware user?

I ask because when calculating a critical hit, it also ignores defense buffs (when against a non-Unaware pokémon, of course). There is stuff that makes no sense in Pokémon, and that's the reason I'm asking this, because it should ignore any of the attacker's boosts, but you never know .-.

Thanks for the info about the nature, is that with max speed investment?
In my opinion choiced Rotom-W is best at the hit-and-run tactic. Chances are if a grass type comes in for the counter, I'm already choice-locked to something, so simply switching out would be best. I only see HP fire as valuable if you're coming in with Rotom-w as a counter, or if your opponent predicts your switch in. Does that justify the move slot in your opinion?
i think u should go for hp ice since a sub protect gliscor can easily stall out hydro pump until it misse or runs out of pp. as you said, u are running hp fire on latios, so u dont really need something to hit ferrothorn with. besides. i just trick the scarf onto incoming gastrodons and ferothorns. works great.

i think u should go for hp ice since a sub protect gliscor can easily stall out hydro pump until it misse or runs out of pp. as you said, u are running hp fire on latios, so u dont really need something to hit ferrothorn with. besides. i just trick the scarf onto incoming gastrodons and ferothorns. works great.
Great advice, thanks a bunch!

What is a good set for Far'fetched? Making a gag RU team, with he and delibird as the stars. Any good sets for them?
CH Abuse
Farfetch'd @ Stick
Adamant/Jolly 252 Atk/252 Spe
Agility/Swords Dance
Slash
Night Slash
Leaf Blade/Revenge

Run Adamant for Agility and Jolly for SD. You get walled by Steel types so there's always Revenge. Normal/Dark/Grass is walled by Steel's (only), while Normal/Dark/Fighting gets perfect coverage, but you lose out on more CH abuse.

So I haven't been on Smogon in quite a long time and I haven't seen a lot of the action that's gone on. Can someone please link me to all the bans and voting results that have occurred since about late june? In all categories (UU, RU, OU, and LC)
Thanks

Are stat buffs taken into account when a critical hit lands on an Unaware user?

I ask because when calculating a critical hit, it also ignores defense buffs (when against a non-Unaware pokémon, of course). There is stuff that makes no sense in Pokémon, and that's the reason I'm asking this, because it should ignore any of the attacker's boosts, but you never know .-.
Unaware still ignores stat changes of the attacker, but the critical hit ignores defensive buffs on the Unaware user. So, for example, a +3 Dragonite hitting a +2 Quagsire with a critical hit would be equivalent to a +0 Dragonite hitting a +0 Quagsire with 2x damage.

So I haven't been on Smogon in quite a long time and I haven't seen a lot of the action that's gone on. Can someone please link me to all the bans and voting results that have occurred since about late june? In all categories (UU, RU, OU, and LC)
Thanks
Looking through the various locked Suspect Voting Threads, it appears the current ban lists are

OU

Items
All items that increase Evasion (BrightPowder, Lax Incense)

Moves
All moves that increase Evasion only (Double Team, Minimize)
All instant OHKO moves (Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, Sheer Cold)

Abilities
Moody
Drizzle + Swift Swim on the same team

Species
Arceus
Blaziken
Darkrai
Deoxys-A
Deoxys
Dialga
Garchomp
Giratina
Giratina-O
Groudon
Ho-Oh
Kyogre
Lugia
Manaphy
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Shaymin-S
Zekrom

UU

Abilities:
Drought

Pokemon:
Kyurem
Wobbuffet
Staraptor
Espeon

RU

None, as Suspect Testing hasn't started yet

LC

Abilities
Moody

Pokemon:
Murkrow
Vulpix
Carvanha
Gligar
Meditite
Misdreavus

You can find all the voting results in this part of the forum: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155

I was considering trying out a U-Turn/Volt Switch team, to keep momentum on my side.
I know they were viable in Gen 4, but are they still viable in Gen 5?

How long does it take to learn a new metagame? I'm bored of BW OU, so I'm planning on trying BW UU, so I was wondering how long it would take.

A question about Choice Scarf Hydreigon. I want to use this set on a team I am building and the preferred nature listen in the analysis is Timid; but I have already bred a Modest natured Hydreigon that I would like to use if possible. So my question: What does a Timid Choice Scarf Hydreigon outspeed that a Modest one will not? Is a Modest Choice Scarf set viable?

A question about Choice Scarf Hydreigon. I want to use this set on a team I am building and the preferred nature listen in the analysis is Timid; but I have already bred a Modest natured Hydreigon that I would like to use if possible. So my question: What does a Timid Choice Scarf Hydreigon outspeed that a Modest one will not? Is a Modest Choice Scarf set viable?
With Modest you don't outspeed +nature base 86 to 97 and speed tie with +nature base 85. Among those, I think the most common users of Choice Scarf are Haxorus, Primeape, Darmanitan, Kyurem, Krookodile, Porygon-Z, Rotom formes, Nidoking, and Heracross. However, out of those, only Haxorus, Darmanitan, and some of the Rotom formes are used particularly often at all.

You also will no longer outspeed neutral nature base 99 to 112. In OU that's Thundurus, Gengar, Espeon, Lati@s, Infernape, Terrakion, Mienshao, Landorus, Salamence, Jirachi, and Volcarona I believe (not sure this is the full list/doesn't include one or two it shouldn't). I'm not sure who amongst these are usually scarfed though.

Hey

I made a thread about speed tiers yesterday

You might want to check it out

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3453734

But to answer your question, among 'standard' OU sets, Modest Scarf Hydreigon loses out on Jolly Scarf Haxorus (obviously), Timid Jolly Dragonite after a DD, neutral-natured Deoxys-S, Scarf Lucario, Naughty Salamence after a DD, and Scarf Rotom-W. Timid Scarf Hydreigon outspeeds them all.

Well, Scarf Haxorous is uncommon, and literally no one runs Jolly on it. By Timid I assume you mean Jolly, and pretty much all the Dragonites I've faced are Adamant. Scarf Lucario....the thing I haven't seen ever. Outspeeding Deo-S, Scarf Rotom-W, and DD Mence is very helpful though; although Modest provides you with much more power. I suppose if you're weak to DD Mence and/or Scarf R-W use Timid; otherwise, imo, Modest is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)