All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

In ADV OU, if im running sd heracross with 3 attacks, is it viable to run jolly? Ive seen there are lots of pokemon that try to speed creep adamant heracross, and thus would get outsped by jolly.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
In ADV OU, if im running sd heracross with 3 attacks, is it viable to run jolly? Ive seen there are lots of pokemon that try to speed creep adamant heracross, and thus would get outsped by jolly.
Yes, absolutely. It's great for DD Mence that doesnt max speed, Modest Moltres, and Zaps, Rachis and Celes that sometimes sit in the 270s. The power loss also doesn't feel that significant.

it is viable, but you have to keep in mind that its not something you can consistently bank on working. the mence/zap that run 270 for ada hera/modest cune can easily max speed. they do it all the time and outspeed jolly hera without any great sacrifice on their part. they dont even need a +spe nature, which they can also run. same goes for several cele variants. also molt primarily runs timid these days to get the jump on those neutral 100s.

that said, it is potentially gamebreaking and the power loss realistically doesnt make too much of a difference given how strong it already is. ddmence will rue running spdef like it does so often nowadays when it faces jolly hera. sand tells you if youre faster than your target, so that reduces the gamble. youll want to poke it on the switch first though, since even 0/0 mence only dies to +1 rs around 19% of the time (+ miss chance + flinch chance + if you flinch and it doesnt die to sand, you have to hit it with another 90% move unless your fighting move is brick break). however this works since sding on the switch doesnt do anything if theyre faster, whereas throwing out that megahorn/rs will at least damage them if they are.

Last edited:

Deleted User 108547

Banned deucer.
Absolutely viable. Heracross could run both natures depending on what you're looking for and your team. If you run a sub/dry pass pokémon or you have para support (i.e. T-Wave Gyara) maybe an adamant nature is prefered over jolly but as Triangles and BKC said jolly Heracross is totally ok.

Floss

never forgotten
is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributor
Monotype Leader
Is Murk banned from DPP ZU? Thought it'd have a niche as immune to tangela sleep powder + pursuit for gastly

Floss

never forgotten
is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributor
Monotype Leader
Also, is Garchomp any good in DPP Ubers? Was interested in trying it out while getting more into Gen 4 tiers

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Also, is Garchomp any good in DPP Ubers? Was interested in trying it out while getting more into Gen 4 tiers
Yeah. It’s probably just outside the top 10 mons. Primarily used as a scarfer due to its great speed tier and great typing. Other sets are usable too though, probably most often Lum or Haban Berry (dragon attacks muuuuch more common than ice ones in ubers) or SubSalac. It can use Stealth Rock effectively too.

So I have an ADV mechanics question concerning the start/end of turns. Relevant turns from this game https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3uubl-970068776 are shown below.
Turn 7

Breloom used Spore!
The opposing Weezing fell asleep!

The opposing Weezing is fast asleep.

The opposing Weezing restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
Breloom was hurt by poison!

Breloom fainted!

Go! Slaking!

Turn 8

Slaking is tightening its focus!

KajiKon withdrew Weezing!
KajiKon sent out Registeel!

[Slaking's Truant]
Slaking is loafing around!

Turn 9
Slaking used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
(The opposing Registeel lost 78% of its health!)

The opposing Registeel used Hidden Power!
A critical hit!
(Slaking lost 34% of its health!)

The opposing Registeel restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
I admit that it's been a while since I've played ADV and I may have forgotten some of the nuances, but I can't seem to wrap my head around what's happening here. I've always played under the assumption that Leftovers and poison/burn damage happens at the beginning of a turn. For example, if a faster mon explodes, the slower mon doesn't move because the turn is over. Leftovers only happens once the next mon is sent in, at the beginning of the next turn. (As an aside, why does PS show Leftovers happening at the end of the turn in GSC/ADV?)

Anyway, in the match in question, at the end of turn 7 (or is it the beginning of turn 8?) Weezing gets Leftovers and Breloom dies to poison. Slaking is then sent out to replace the fainted Breloom. And then on turn 8 (presumably Slaking's first turn on the field), Slaking is loafing around. Where did Slaking's active turn go? It seems like it magically disappeared into some no man's land limbo between turn 7 and 8.

Later in the game, we have this turn:
Turn 22

The opposing Articuno used Ice Beam!
A critical hit!
(Steelix lost 85% of its health!)

Steelix fainted!

Go! Slaking!

The opposing Articuno restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Turn 23

Slaking used Frustration!
(The opposing Articuno lost 57% of its health!)

The opposing Articuno fainted!

KajiKon sent out Chansey!
Steelix dies, Slaking is sent in to replace it, and Slaking attacks on its first turn out. In this scenario, Slaking is sent out before Articuno gets Leftovers recovery. Previously, Slaking was sent out after Weezing's Leftovers. This seems to indicate that the game sees Slaking as entering the field on a different turn vs. Weezing compared to vs. Articuno. The only way I'm able to make sense of this is if a) a new mon replaces a fainted mon at the very end of a turn in ADV and Leftovers is the first thing that happens on the next turn, and b) Slaking's Truant is active on the first turn it comes into play. Both of these assumptions are counter to my initial beliefs, but I'm open to the possibility that I'm wrong and also an idiot. Lol

Is this a glitch or am I just too stupid to comprehend what's going on? It's entirely possible I just answered my own question. But I'd like to hear from someone else.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
So I have an ADV mechanics question concerning the start/end of turns. Relevant turns from this game https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3uubl-970068776 are shown below.

I admit that it's been a while since I've played ADV and I may have forgotten some of the nuances, but I can't seem to wrap my head around what's happening here. I've always played under the assumption that Leftovers and poison/burn damage happens at the beginning of a turn. For example, if a faster mon explodes, the slower mon doesn't move because the turn is over. Leftovers only happens once the next mon is sent in, at the beginning of the next turn. (As an aside, why does PS show Leftovers happening at the end of the turn in GSC/ADV?)

Anyway, in the match in question, at the end of turn 7 (or is it the beginning of turn 8?) Weezing gets Leftovers and Breloom dies to poison. Slaking is then sent out to replace the fainted Breloom. And then on turn 8 (presumably Slaking's first turn on the field), Slaking is loafing around. Where did Slaking's active turn go? It seems like it magically disappeared into some no man's land limbo between turn 7 and 8.

Later in the game, we have this turn:

Steelix dies, Slaking is sent in to replace it, and Slaking attacks on its first turn out. In this scenario, Slaking is sent out before Articuno gets Leftovers recovery. Previously, Slaking was sent out after Weezing's Leftovers. This seems to indicate that the game sees Slaking as entering the field on a different turn vs. Weezing compared to vs. Articuno. The only way I'm able to make sense of this is if a) a new mon replaces a fainted mon at the very end of a turn in ADV and Leftovers is the first thing that happens on the next turn, and b) Slaking's Truant is active on the first turn it comes into play. Both of these assumptions are counter to my initial beliefs, but I'm open to the possibility that I'm wrong and also an idiot. Lol

Is this a glitch or am I just too stupid to comprehend what's going on? It's entirely possible I just answered my own question. But I'd like to hear from someone else.
See this post for a full explanation. This is the correct behavior, though it is strange.

I got an interesting RBY conundrum. Unfortunately I didn't save the replay, but here's a series of events that happened and I'm not sure why:

1. Opponent sends out Mew
2. I send out my own (paralyzed)
3. During the turns opponent spends maximizing out attack, I paralyze his and set up Reflect
4. Use Transform to see his set and copy his stats
5. I can barely hit him, as if I have no boosts. So, here are the damage calcs for a +6 Mew Hyper Beam on an opposing mew with no buffs: 361-425 (89.5 - 105.4%) -- 35.9% chance to OHKO

The actual amount of damage I was doing was around 27%, which is like having no attack boosts:
Mew Hyper Beam vs. Mew: 108-128 (26.7 - 31.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

How does that happen?

EB0LA

Banned deucer.
I got an interesting RBY conundrum. Unfortunately I didn't save the replay, but here's a series of events that happened and I'm not sure why:

1. Opponent sends out Mew
2. I send out my own (paralyzed)
3. During the turns opponent spends maximizing out attack, I paralyze his and set up Reflect
4. Use Transform to see his set and copy his stats
5. I can barely hit him, as if I have no boosts. So, here are the damage calcs for a +6 Mew Hyper Beam on an opposing mew with no buffs: 361-425 (89.5 - 105.4%) -- 35.9% chance to OHKO

The actual amount of damage I was doing was around 27%, which is like having no attack boosts:
Mew Hyper Beam vs. Mew: 108-128 (26.7 - 31.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

How does that happen?
I believe this is just not set-up right on PS. If your opponent set's up to +6 and you transform into it, it is impossible for you to boost... and you do not get the affects of the boosts you transformed into. as...
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ubers-984930920
if it not yet +6, you can transform into it, then you must boost your stats 1x to get the full effects of the boosts you transformed into + the additional one you just boosted, else no boost is applied.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ubers-984932841

Last edited:
Trying to find RBY probabilities for pokemon waking on each turn. (e.g. 20% chance first turn, 25% 2nd turn)
Can anyone help me?

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Trying to find RBY probabilities for pokemon waking on each turn. (e.g. 20% chance first turn, 25% 2nd turn)
Can anyone help me?
I'm fairly sure that just like every other generation the probability of waking up is constant each turn. Considering sleep lasts between 0 and 6 turns in RBY, the probability of waking up is 1/7 or 14.3% each turn.

Since it is a set listed in the analysis on the site, maybe someone can help me out with this. Why did JAA Mewtwo (ADV) run Mild/Lonely rather than Hasty? Is it because it's naturally very fast and can survive an attack from the few things that can outspeed it when it runs a neutral nature (then it just Selfdestructs)?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Since it is a set listed in the analysis on the site, maybe someone can help me out with this. Why did JAA Mewtwo (ADV) run Mild/Lonely rather than Hasty? Is it because it's naturally very fast and can survive an attack from the few things that can outspeed it when it runs a neutral nature (then it just Selfdestructs)?
It's virtually never to one's advantage to run a neutral nature, as you will get more raw stats out of plussing a higher value and negging a lower value. Since you know what matchups you're targetting, you'll get more advantage from hitting the specific attack/speed breakpoints to improve those matchups while the lowered defense often will not matter.

Also, while it's not applicable in this case, -SpD is also usually preferred over -Def because most priority moves are physical.

It's virtually never to one's advantage to run a neutral nature, as you will get more raw stats out of plussing a higher value and negging a lower value. Since you know what matchups you're targetting, you'll get more advantage from hitting the specific attack/speed breakpoints to improve those matchups while the lowered defense often will not matter.

Also, while it's not applicable in this case, -SpD is also usually preferred over -Def because most priority moves are physical.
Oops, by "neutral" I meant neutral to Speed (Mild), not neutral as in Bashful/Docile/Hardy/Quirky/Serious. I know the latter are not competitively viable.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Probably has to do with certain damage thresholds in specific matchups, and/or nothing else common outspeeds Mewtwo so there's little reason to bother maxing Speed other than the mirror where they don't really threaten each other anyway. I dunno, I didn't play in JAA.

In RSE, is it viable to have a choice band set on Metagross but use a Lum berry instead of the choice band? I like being able to explode on Suicunes that think I'm locked into meteor mash.

In RSE, is it viable to have a choice band set on Metagross but use a Lum berry instead of the choice band? I like being able to explode on Suicunes that think I'm locked into meteor mash.
For starters, if you’re not banded it will be pretty obvious due to the damage. So you won’t really be able to bluff that against anyone who’s paying attention. And Lum on Metagross isn’t a great item choice imo, since it’s already immune to Toxic (the most common status in ADV) and being para’d isn’t the worst thing ever. The longevity provided by Leftovers is much more useful over the course of a game. It's an interesting idea but in practice I think you'll find yourself wishing that you had used a different set.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You’re forgetting that Lum Metagross can take wisp or hypnosis from Gengar and mash has a good chance to OHKO most Gengar. So it does have a niche. That said, you could also just run lefties Metagross with Psychic to punish wisp Gengar.

if you really want to “bluff” CB, you’ll need to use Metagross pretty sparingly since one attack on anything that lives ruins the bluff. If I were picking a non-cb and non-lefties item though I might go for Brightpowder or Salac Berry over Lum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)