Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - NU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Most Golem aren't max Speed so as long as you outrun the standard set you'll be fine. And to be fair Golem has lost a lot of popularity with Skill Link Cinccino being so popular at the moment.

I'm breeding an Analytic Beeheeyem at the moment. I plan to use it as a defensive Calm Mind set. The question I have is, should I breed for a Relaxed nature with minimum speed (it will give Beeheeyem 78 speed, maintaining the Analytic boost for base 30 pokemon and Musharna) or a Bold nature to outspeed those specific pokemon?

Edit: Decided to go for Relaxed 2 Spe (HP Fighting), so I can more or less guarantee the Analytic boost on anything pertinent, including slower pokemon. I may even try this in RU if I can get the right support for it.

I have a question.

Anybody?

Sandslash, Hitmonlee, and Hitmonchan all have NU worthy stats, worse than Armaldo, and not even as good as Wartortle with Eviolite, they could fit well in NU and would fix the problem of all these hazards with nothing to stop them.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
The Smogon tiers are based on usage, not "hey I think this mon is NU worthy."

Also, stat distributions, typing, and movepool are just as important in judging a Pokemon so BST really isn't a fair way to judge those two Pokemon, I think. Hitmonlee has high attack and speed, while Hitmonchan has all-around bulk. All of them resist SR. Armaldo has lots of weaknesses, and its high attack and low speed don't mesh.

Trust me, if Armaldo were "better" they'd be using Armaldo in RU.

slow shnen

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Smogon tiers are based on usage stats solely, not by people choosing where each Pokemon goes, and so if they are used enough in RU to become RU ( as these spinners are) then they are RU and cannot be NU until they are used less.

I am aware that tiers are based on usage, it just seems a bit unbalanced to have a tier with lots of Pokemon that can set up hazards, but just about none that can take them down. More expressing a wish than anything else. Crossing my fingers that at least one of those guys can get a drop, Kabutops and Hitmonlee only need about 3% less usage, about 300 battles less, you kin do it guys.

Looking back this seemed like a bit of an inappropriate place to post this, and I apologize. As you can see from my post count, I do not do much foruming.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I am aware that tiers are based on usage, it just seems a bit unbalanced to have a tier with lots of Pokemon that can set up hazards
Unless you're talking solely about Stealth Rock, I'd have to disagree. I, for one, don't want to rely on a grand total of four fully-evolved users of Spikes and three fully-evolved users of Toxic Spikes, none of whom are particularly bulky and have access to reliable recovery.

Unless you're talking solely about Stealth Rock, I'd have to disagree. I, for one, don't want to rely on a grand total of four fully-evolved users of Spikes and three fully-evolved users of Toxic Spikes, none of whom are particularly bulky and have access to reliable recovery.
Well Garbador has 80/82/82, a decent defensive typing, the ability to absorb Toxic Spikes, and access to moves like Gunk Shot, Clear Smog, Rock Blast with a 95 attack to back it up, and with BW2 he also gained Pain Split(a reliable healing move early in the game, when you'll be laying your hazards down), don't cut him short. Every single other layer is awful though, I do agree.

Also with all of the great Ice, Fire, and Flying types in NU, spinning away Stealth Rocks could be important on many teams. And there are some awesome Stealth Rock users in NU, both offensively and defensively, so just about every team can fit one in. Having more than one (barely) viable Rapid Spinner who is not weak to the Rocks would be nice, that's all. Especially since NU is supposed to be the tier where the widest variety of strategies are viable.

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
I don't think anyone is cutting him short. Zeb was just saying that we have some sub-par Spikes users such as Maractus and he wouldn't mind having a few more and I agree with him. But thats neither here, nor there as we don't have much control over when we get certain Pokemon as thats all RU.

No one said NU was supposed to be the tier with the widest variety of strategy available. If anything its the tier where you can use things like Garbodor effectively. And if you have such a problem with SR, don't use SR weak Pokemon. Or use CB Rampardos or keep enough pressure on the opponent to where they can't set up SR. There are a lot of ways to keep hazards in check that don't involved Rapid Spinners.

see not all zebras are fast :P

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Well Garbador has 80/82/82, a decent defensive typing, the ability to absorb Toxic Spikes, and access to moves like Gunk Shot, Clear Smog, Rock Blast with a 95 attack to back it up, and with BW2 he also gained Pain Split(a reliable healing move early in the game, when you'll be laying your hazards down), don't cut him short. Every single other layer is awful though, I do agree.

Also with all of the great Ice, Fire, and Flying types in NU, spinning away Stealth Rocks could be important on many teams. And there are some awesome Stealth Rock users in NU, both offensively and defensively, so just about every team can fit one in. Having more than one (barely) viable Rapid Spinner who is not weak to the Rocks would be nice, that's all. Especially since NU is supposed to be the tier where the widest variety of strategies are viable.
What's really interesting is that even without Rapid Spin, you have the ability to utilize other strategies to keep SR away. For example, CB Rampardos had a great deal of popularity a while back to power through the Sturdy SR setters thanks to Mold Breaker. You could run Taunt and flat-out stop them. You could run Magic Bounce Natu and reflect all their hazards back. Many, many Pokemon get Magic Coat, too, so you can work that around somewhere if you really wanted. Even without too many "excellent" spinners, you can certainly get around still. Plus, you could always use SD Lum Armaldo with Stone Edge and Aqua Tail to power through Golurk and Misdreavus, if spinning were that important to you. :O

GOD DAMNIT MMF NINJA

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
This'll sound nooby, but whatever. Is there a NU threatlist anywhere?

Serious question this time.

Does Ditto get to use the boost from Quickpowder after it transforms using Imposter? It doesn't get the boost when you use Transform, but does it at differently with Imposter?

Serious question this time.

Does Ditto get to use the boost from Quickpowder after it transforms using Imposter? It doesn't get the boost when you use Transform, but does it at differently with Imposter?
To add a little bit to what FLCL said, the ability Imposter functions exactly like using the move Transform, meaning that the mechanics post transformation are all the same. It's like how Shadow Tag functions exactly like Mean Look, Block, and Spider Web.

Adding in even further, the most effective way to use Imposter Ditto is to set it up with a Choice Scarf, that way it can come in on something that has set up, outpace it, and then take it out (which could even progress to a sweep).

Adding in even further, the most effective way to use Imposter Ditto is to set it up with a Choice Scarf, that way it can come in on something that has set up, outpace it, and then take it out (which could even progress to a sweep).
Yeah, that works pretty well against setup sweepers. Unfortunately, Imposter does not work through subs, and it seems like there aren't as many Pokemon in NU that are good counters to themselves like in OU. I've been experimenting with a Quick Claw set, that way you can rip off support Pokemon early in the game as well, but then it makes Ditto pretty much useless as a revenge killer. I was just hoping I could use Quick Powder to do both things, never so easy though.

Probably a Stupid Question

As someone who is new here and is confused where to start, I'm curious; is there a page that lists all the usable Pokemon in the tier, and would they sorted by game generations? An example of this would be HG/SS NU or BW RU.

Hopefully it's just that I'm blind and haven't stumbled across it yet. If someone could point me in a direction that'd be great.

Cheers mates!!

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/nu

This is the list of all (or most) NU-available Pokemon. This list ignores first-stage evolutions that are NU-legal but is mostly unviable.

As you can see instead of 'bw' and 'nu' you can insert the game generation and tiers, like 'dp' and 'ru' etc. A little clarification: we do not keep separate tiers for DP and HG/SS. So "HG/SS NU" doesn't technically exist, but only a general "Gen 4 NU." (Which encompasses DP, Platinum, and HGSS.)

http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/nu

This is the list of all (or most) NU-available Pokemon. This list ignores first-stage evolutions that are NU-legal but is mostly unviable.

As you can see instead of 'bw' and 'nu' you can insert the game generation and tiers, like 'dp' and 'ru' etc. A little clarification: we do not keep separate tiers for DP and HG/SS. So "HG/SS NU" doesn't technically exist, but only a general "Gen 4 NU." (Which encompasses DP, Platinum, and HGSS.)
Cheers Amarillo, I feel kinda silly now :P

Prepare for my awesome to hit the field in the near future, a new challenger appears Smogon.

jake

underdog of the year
Anyone know a good offensive core in NU that has good type coverage and not easily walled?
There are a ton of them, just experiment with different Pokemon that break through one another's counters. Try stuff like Samurott + Emboar, Cinccino + Golurk, Absol + Sawk, Swellow + Gorebyss...

Deleted User 149239

Banned deucer.
I'm a newbie in Competitive battling, played up until third gen in the GBA. played in Pokemon showdown random battles only.

my question is: I want to create a team in NU tier in PS this means I can only pick pokemon in the Smogon B/W NU tier list yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)