Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I give my swampert a ground gem instead of a choice band and use earthquake at the beginning? His set right now is

Swampert@Choice Band
Torrent
172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

@Flarecolo Not much of a quick question, plus they just check the pokemon you are using when they hack check. Just to see if they are not abnormal in any way.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Should I give my swampert a ground gem instead of a choice band and use earthquake at the beginning? His set right now is

Swampert@Choice Band
Torrent
172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
Choiced Earthquake could be a very bad thing unless your whole team is immune to it, and Choice items in general don't usually work well in doubles, so I'd definitely go with the gem.

Also, not related to your question, but I'd recommend dropping Superpower for Protect. It's almost completely redundant with your other moves (the main target of Fighting moves, Tyranitar, isn't going to be hit any harder than by Waterfall due to pretty much always having a Chople Berry), and Ludicolo and Abomasnow are both common enough that not having Protect would be a good way to get it KO'd a lot.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hidden Power Ice would be optimal if you're looking for an Ice-type move. Ice Punch is physical and with Gengar's high Special Attack stat you're going to want to be using special moves.

Should i use an Excadrill with mold breaker, since I don't plan on running a sandstorm team? Is it worth using without the sand ability boosts?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Should i use an Excadrill with mold breaker, since I don't plan on running a sandstorm team? Is it worth using without the sand ability boosts?
Mold Breaker Excadrill is an unreleased Dream World ability. If you use one in VGC tournaments, you are going to be disqualified by hack check.

To members of VGC C&C: THIS is why VGC analyses should not list unreleased Dream World abilities, especially in such a way that implies they are legal.

Plus, 5th Gen Pokemon like Excadrill are virtually guaranteed not to have any DW releases during the VGC '12 season aside from Musharna\Darmanitan. The sprites needed for them to show up in the Entralink are not in the game, so there is zero chance of catching them in the Dream World until Grey or whatever they call the 3rd game is released.

k, in this case is it worth using with sand force/rush without sandstorm?
I would use Rush just in-case your opponent is using sand, but really, you should use some other Ground type if you aren't running Sand. Excadrill is too dependent on it. I would recommend Garchomp or Mamoswine.

Mold Breaker Excadrill is an unreleased Dream World ability. If you use one in VGC tournaments, you are going to be disqualified by hack check.

To members of VGC C&C: THIS is why VGC analyses should not list unreleased Dream World abilities, especially in such a way that implies they are legal.

Plus, 5th Gen Pokemon like Excadrill are virtually guaranteed not to have any DW releases during the VGC '12 season aside from Musharna\Darmanitan. The sprites needed for them to show up in the Entralink are not in the game, so there is zero chance of catching them in the Dream World until Grey or whatever they call the 3rd game is released.
I agree with you, but as of now the format for analyses includes the dream world section for all unreleased pokemon (I was confused at first too). Seeing as how you are a member of site staff, I think people would consider your point if you brought it to their attention in a formal manner (instead of just mentioning how nonsensical it is in this thread).

for a TR Setter chandy, what item should i run? Currently I have a focus sash to stop those nasty OHKO's but would a diff item be smarter?

for a TR Setter chandy, what item should i run? Currently I have a focus sash to stop those nasty OHKO's but would a diff item be smarter?
Generally, Focus Sash is the best choice. Along side a Fake out user, you will set up TR safely in most situations when Chandelure is holding a Focus Sash.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Only other good options would be stuff for doing lots of damage after you've set up, Life Orb/Fire Gem/etc. But a sash is definitely the safest choice.

Wolfey

VGC 2016 Masters Champion
Is there a good website to read up on what the Japanese are doing, and whats popular over there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)