Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a good website to read up on what the Japanese are doing, and whats popular over there?
You can't currently until JP/Asia Vgc starts were video's will be released of winning teams, but the best you can do is Random matchup. You'll get quite a lot of jp players there.

Following up on that question, does anyone know of any East Asian online VGC communities? Of course it would be difficult to navigate due to the language barrier but I think it'd be interesting to explore.

I'm sure there are a few blogs going around in a similar vein to Deagle's, but that'll be it. And it'll be about double cup specifically, not VGC, which makes it difficult to find.

There's no Japanese Smogon or anything similar really, just a lot of like... hobby blogs usually run by say a group of friends who meet up to play pokémon at an after school club or something. Japanese competitive tends to be more between smaller groups of guys who all know how to play very well, which is probably why you get a lot of varying strategies.

I know me and Ray and probably some other people were scoping out a few Japanese blogs for 2010 season, so they do exist. Just think of them as being a bit like Deagle's blog but Japanese and without walls of text. They're easy enough to work out if you can read Japanese, but there's always google translate too.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A while back I found a Japanese double battle wiki by searching for ポケモン WCS 2012 on google. It seems to have a pretty decent amount of information on it if you are able to navagate it, though I'm not exactly sure whether the stuff is for bring 6 choose 4, or 6 vs 6 double battles.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Is TerraCott still viable this year?
In a way, it's always been viable, but it's stopped very well by Rage Powder/Follow Me users. With this year around you can even try out Whimiscott+DW Lucario combo. It sounds better because you get stronger priority moves with Lucario.

Terracott just has more things to stop it; some very good things of note are Rain, Latios and Latias, and Cresselia.

You can try Beat Up with different pokemon but that has a varying range of success. Terrakion works because of its 1) high base speed and attack 2) STAB rock slide 3) very hard-hitting SS or CC. Whimsicott works because it can set up Tailwind first before hitting Terrakion most of the time.

I wouldn't make a team that relies on Beat Up to win, this year.

Will the regional events be played like they were last year as single elimination? I hear that they are going to be played as "Swiss". I'm vaguely aware of what that is, but not completely sure. So my question is: Are the regional events going to be played as "Swiss", and if so, what exactly is "Swiss"?

As far as I can tell you will battle a set amount of people with a similar rank to you and will be ranked by win/loss percentages.

That's how Nats and Worlds work. The way they're doing regionals this year, winners are determined entirely by W/L and tiebreakers.

Ohh, that's kinda a shame, because I really enjoyed how regionals was last year. It had a more competitive feel to it. Oh well, It'll still be a blast anyway, I can't wait to see you there voodoo.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ohh, that's kinda a shame, because I really enjoyed how regionals was last year. It had a more competitive feel to it. Oh well, It'll still be a blast anyway, I can't wait to see you there voodoo.
Yeah, it's not quite as exciting. On the other hand, you don't have to worry as much about being haxed to death in the first round or whatever.

Yeah, it's not quite as exciting. On the other hand, you don't have to worry as much about being haxed to death in the first round or whatever.
Actually you do. Me and... I want to say soul survivor? Anyway, me and soul survivor both lost in the 2nd round, and won every single match after that. We both went X-1 and didn't make top 4.

My point is, losing early can be just as bad as last year. You still get to play until the tournys over though, which is nice.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Actually you do. Me and... I want to say soul survivor? Anyway, me and soul survivor both lost in the 2nd round, and won every single match after that. We both went X-1 and didn't make top 4.

My point is, losing early can be just as bad as last year. You still get to play until the tournys over though, which is nice.
Hence "as much." You might have still had a chance depending on your opponents, whereas in single elimination you're out no matter what.

Yah and at least people wouldnt come all the way out there to lose one round and go home, I would've hated to be like that last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)