B&W Research Thread

Breludicolo:

My description for Cloud Nine and Air Lock both read:

"While bearer is active, no effects due to the weather are applied."

This simply means that the weather simply has no effect on any active Pokemon while a Pokemon with Cloud Nine or Air Lock is active. The weather will still run and end as usual, however. It's therefore incorrect to say that these abilities "eliminate" weather.

Zebstrika:

Maybe this would have been better:

"Unlike the previous generation, the items Focus Sash and Focus Band and the Ability Sturdy treat each hit of a multi-hit attack as a separate attack. Thus, if Focus Sash and Sturdy activate before the last hit is dealt, the following hit will cause the defending Pokémon to faint, since its HP will not have been full by then."

Okay...so in the last generation against a multi-hit attack Focus Band would be guaranteed to activate for every hit if it activated on the first one? That's where that funny statement came from?

One more question: Does Mummy activate before Eject Button? So if the opponent uses a contact move, will the ability be changed to Mummy before it gets out?

Zebstrika:

As for Focus Band, yes it would. My description for Focus Band (in generation 4) reads, in part:

"As the first hit of an attack against the holder begins, there is a 10% chance that if any damage during that attack would reduce holder's HP to less than 1, instead that damage reduces holder's HP to 1 and this item is consumed ... after the last hit of that attack."

As for your second question, yes. In general, ability effects, like Mummy, resolve before item effects, such as Eject Button.

I just read this in the sqsa thread, and I've also had the same "issue", but I had 2 eggs in my party once, and 1 step after the first one hatched, the second one hatched as well. I tried looking it up on the first page, but it seems to haven't been researched about. Was there already some study on it? I didn't have any problems with it, though. Just curious on what makes this happen and its "effects" (if it happens to have any.)

Chieliee:

No Guard affects only attacks by its bearer and against its bearer:

"Attacks by and against bearer hit without fail in accuracy checks."

No Guard doesn't work the following way, for example:

"While bearer is active, attacks by each active Pokemon hit without fail in accuracy checks."

Thus, for example, if a Pokemon with No Guard is active, attacks by other Pokemon, where neither attacker nor opponent has No Guard, can miss.
Just looking at this...

What about multi-target moves EG earthquake...

is it
Machamp - 100% hit
all other pokes - dependant on acc/evasion

or does it hit all with 100%

Just experienced a battle with a Zoark with the illusion ability going against a chansey. The Zoark was poisoned but never showed it's Zoark form even when Ko'ed due to Toxic. I looked to see if this is on here but it's not. So I guess you will have to explain to your opponet after the match that one is a Zoark if this happens?

Just experienced a battle with a Zoark with the illusion ability going against a chansey. The Zoark was poisoned but never showed it's Zoark form even when Ko'ed due to Toxic. I looked to see if this is on here but it's not. So I guess you will have to explain to your opponet after the match that one is a Zoark if this happens?
It's mentioned right at the start. "Damaging attacks ... not indirect"

I doubt you'd need to explain it. I imagine your opponent would be smart enough to put two and two together.

Dark Pulse:

An attack that targets multiple opponents affects each opponent separately. Thus, for example, if the user of Earthquake has No Guard, it will hit without fail against all its opponents ("Attacks by ... bearer hit without fail in accuracy checks"). However, if a Pokemon without No Guard uses Earthquake against two or more opponents, at least one of whom has No Guard, the attack will hit without fail only against those with No Guard ("Attacks ... against bearer hit without fail") and is not guaranteed to hit against the other opponents.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just something doubles related which isn't explicitly stated in the OP. I'd try and test myself but am really busy this weekend :\, so if noone else does I'll try it eventually.

Firstly, are Fast/Wide Guard on the same counter as Protect/Detect/Endure? Secondly, does Feint break Endure and Wide Guard (it's blocked by Quick Guard)?
Well, I found out today in a match against a Japanese Beat Up/Justified team that Feint does indeed break Wide Guard. It doesn't just break it for the target, either. It breaks it for your entire team. And you don't have to hit the Wide Guard user with Feint to break it.

Does camouflage work the same way this gen? I remember nature power is now EQ so I figured camouflage might be different as well

They must have changed the catchmechanics behind Transform.

In Gen 4 if Ditto transformed into a Magikarp, all it would take is 1 or 2 Ultra Balls to catch it, since Ditto would use Magikarp's catch rate.

In Gen 5, I've about had a Ditto that transformed into a Magikarp Struggle to death while I throw Repeat Balls at it.
Same thing happened to me, I had a Ditto transform into a Sewaddle (255 catch rate), it broke out of 17 Ultra Balls, then my Flame Body activated and I caught it with the 18th. Normally at full HP a Sewaddle would have a 67% chance of being caught with an Ultra Ball.

Well, I found out today in a match against a Japanese Beat Up/Justified team that Feint does indeed break Wide Guard. It doesn't just break it for the target, either. It breaks it for your entire team. And you don't have to hit the Wide Guard user with Feint to break it.
That's awesome, thanks for finding it out (I feel like I should so some research myself but can't get on wifi :\). Yet another facet in the Doubles/Triples metagame.

I don't think it was like this in previous generations but you now can't use a Pokeball if the target is in the semi-invulnerable state of Fly.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
No, "But it missed" is gone, thank goodness. "X avoided the attack" gives information about which Pokemon the move was targeting in a Double or Triple Battle.

Another question I'm afraid - does Storm Drain/LightningRod draw in all of any move of the appropriate type used, or will it only absorb the part of said move that would hit your own mons (in Triples mostly) and let the rest hit your opponents?

Presumably it's just any move altogether, but thought I may as well check.

An NPC in the games states that using Flash twice against an enemy will reduce the accuracy of its moves to "about half" of what they usually are. According to the accuracy formula of previous games, using Flash twice should reduce the opponent's moves' accuracy to 60%, which might or might not be possible to consider "about half", depending on how strict the "about" is meant to be.

However, as I'm sure we're all aware, for most other stats, such as Attack, using a move resulting in a one-stage reduction twice would cause the stat to be exactly half of the original, which also could be referred to as "about half" if an NPC was supposed to not be going into the technical details of the mechanics by making an exact statement.

So, based on this, I raise the question: Has anyone tested to verify whether or not Accuracy and Evasion change by the same amounts as a result of stat boosts and drops in Gen 5 as they did in previous generations?
Has anyone looked into this?

Benlisted:

Only moves that could potentially target the Pokemon with Storm Drain or Lightningrod.
Sorry to ask again, but just to clarify - by moves that can target do you mean a move like say Hydro Pump that targets, or also spread moves which you could concievably click on your teammate to use, thereby "targeting them" with it? I think what you mean is that if the SD/LR mon is in one of the spots which could be hit by any attack of the corresponding type, no matter which side of the field, it will absorb it totally and noone else will be hit by it. Correct me if that's wrong, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)