BH Balanced Hackmons

orichalcum pulse actually boosts fire moves' damage by more. both create sunlight (which both have the same damage multiplier of 1.5x to fire moves), however orichalcum pulse has the additional effect of raising the user's attack by 33% in sun, meaning opulse is better for physical fire moves like v-create.
Huh it says 30% on showdown, is that a mistake?

Edit: also I'm not sure how damage calculation works but it seems like you would do 1.5 × 1.33333 to get the overall multiplier, which would be 2. So a 50% boost and a 33% boost should translate to a net ×2, right?

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
hi, hello, yes, small announcement. i've been working on a setpedia for the early stages of the meta, which you can find here. it's a little barebones for the minute, but i'm planning to expand it as the meta develops, and use it as a sort of gateway for the smogdex (which I will be keeping on top of too, at least when it's updated to include unreleased mons). XxLazzerpenguinxX if you can put this in the OP that'd be calm too

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
:calyrex-shadow::ting-lu::chansey::dondozo::arceus-grass::zacian-crowned:

ill just stick this here, caly's getting banned anyway. really i want to talk about grassceus. grass has always been that oddball type that creams like 4 mons in the tier and gets owned by everything else, but dexit has kindly removed most of the mons problematic for grass-types and made the rest physically defensive, which means grass/ground is surprisingly effective. the meta also made mons like dozo, ting, and don on just about every team. wisp helps you selfproof and get more opportunities and just be more of a pain in the ass because burns are good, though you could also defo use leech seed or sap or whatever.

grass as a type in general looks pretty nice, which how much everybody is relying on ting/dozo/don to check stuff.

i still find it funny that caly just creams all of its supposed "checks" after a fairy tera. lumina into terad fleur cannon koes rv meloetta and probably kills scales too after slight chip. i think flutter will be pretty nice after the bans, because ghost/fairy is still a godly stab combo. the sheer stat difference is massive tho.

zacian will be the undisputed best mon as soon as the bans are implemented, no questioned asked. it does fucking everything. im sure you can even make defensive sets work, just take your weird mage sets from back then and turn them into weird zac sets, though the opportunity cost of not using a more offensive (normal) version can be pretty significant. idk how much i like it in the tier, though i do believe letting it go will allow a whole slew of other mons, like bundle, flutter, base zac/zama, tina-o (good mon use it just trust me), and the bikes to shine so much brighter. and id seriously like that.

Storm Eagle

Banned deucer.
Gonna toss some early thoughts on the metagame again.

Zacian-C is honestly fairly balanced all in all. I haven't had too much trouble with it. However Gorilla Tactics is a set that's clearly broken well beyond reason. GT Zac-C is broken as shit, but Zac-C is rather inoffensive overall. It's intimidating to new players, but its offensive typing isn't the best for this meta, frequently dropping one of its STABs for coverage. It's flexible, but its improof isn't, leading it to be somewhat inflexible in a team structure.

Dire Claw should be banned, end of story. This shit reeks of Chatter-style hax fishing plays. I've seen several people attempt to bypass the Sleep Clause with this move and even if this move isn't inherently broken on its own, RNG is too strongly involved in what's an extremely low risk and frankly spammable move. One thing that should also not be understated is its ability to cause multiple statuses, which eliminates any form of strategic gameplan around it beyond letting one mon tank the status and praying they don't get put to sleep.

Keep in mind that Chatter wasn't inherently broken, it was people being uncompetitive with it that got it banned from BH in the past.

Moody is an ability that I believe is fundamentally unhealthy in any meta it appears in. Unfortunately I have seen a rather significant amount of people build around Moody. There are people who will even go as far as to make it their wincon. It's easily checked by Haze, but gets too unpredictable against most other strats including Imposter. Spectral Thief not being in also makes these setups rather annoying to deal with and frankly causes matchups to be lopsided since the only other choices would be Whirlwind, Circle Throw, and to bring in something to break the mon before it gets out of control.

In theory it isn't uncompetitive any more due to not boosting Evasion, but I'd still call it unhealthy and its presence encourages teams built around Baton Passing. While most teams I've seen haven't been great, we are going to see another Klang-style team soon enough.

Miraidon is a mon which I'd keep an eye on. Specs Hadron is stronger than Specs Dragon's Maw Eternatus in Gen 8 and Electric is objectively a better type than Dragon offensively. Grass types don't exist, Dragon types can't switch in on Miraidon, and the only two Ground types worth mentioning are Regenvest Ting-Lu and Ice Scales Groudon. Hisuian Goodra is an honorable mention.
252 SpA Choice Specs Miraidon Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 182-216 (47.3 - 56.2%) -- 83.6% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Miraidon Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Ting-Lu: 280-330 (54.4 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Miraidon Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ice Scales Groudon: 194-229 (48 - 56.6%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO

Don't think your special wall is safe from Miraidon, however. This does not account for Terastal, which Miraidon can use Water Terastal to beat them easily while receiving a good defensive typing (Imposter beats regular Miraidon anyways so no loss there).
One last thing to note about Miraidon is of course that it isn't limited to Specs sets and can actually be quite creative, such as Quiver Dance with Draco/Icicle Plate Judgment. Miraidon is versatile offensively and can be extremely difficult to handle. It is extremely common on ladder because of the Calyrex ban right now.

Suppose it would be ignorant of me to not address the elephant in the room. To be honest, if I had to decide which action to take here, it'd definitely be to ban Victory Dance and Quiver Dance. I think banning Poison Heal is far too precarious in a metagame where Nuzzle, Wisp, Scald, Infernal Parade and many other moves are frequently used. Is it an issue? Probably. But I don't like such powerful setup moves in a meta without Spectral Thief, and even with Spectral Thief I'd still dislike Victory Dance since it's way better than Shift Gear and Dragon Dance for Normal-types, which aren't affected by Spectral Thief.

Ceaseless Edge is not blocked by Covert Cloak, which is problematic. Remember theorymonning about those LGPE attacks? Yeah Ceaseless Edge is pretty much like one of those moves. Stone Axe is too, but is significantly less prominent. Both go past Magic Bounce, and both are runnable on Regenvest setups. Ceaseless Edge may need to be suspected in the future; all of the stuff I brought up above should be quickbanned instead.

Dialga died. RIP beloved Diamond mascot 2013-2022. Shit was good while it lasted. Got a cool new form only to be outclassed by Hisuian Shitra. At least Goodra is decent for once instead of being a competitive meme. Still, what no good STAB moves does to a mf.

Palkia on the other hand seems to be very mediocre. I have rarely seen it, and when I did, it wasn't hard to check. Although I do think Palkia may have some use as an anti-meta mon overall, being able to take care of Goodra, Groudon, and Ting-Lu respectively with a Quiver Dance setup.

This thing is an unmon compared to Miraidon and I find that horribly disappointing. Even PH VD sets don't save it.

To be honest I'm highly unopinionated on Ursaluna in general. Like it obviously seems like a good replacement to Slaking, but it's horrendously slow and needs to get multiple Speed boosts before outspeeding most mons. At +1 it only barely outspeeds base 90s assuming they aren't Jolly/Timid. Even at +2 it doesn't outspeed Miraidon without Jolly nature. Tough shit for Ursaluna and as a result I don't see it being fantastic as a sweeper. Especially if PH gets banned.

Good legendary so far, but may end up falling out of meta if the meta shifts as its many weaknesses do not help it in a lot of cases. For now, it's been very helpful in my games. Besides this, the other minor legendaries introduced are all unmons.
That's all I have to say for now. I do not have any comments on Terastal. I think the meta is pretty fun so far, but obviously unbalanced still.

Last edited:
Hello fellow "Balanced" Hackmon enjoyers, I just created an ultra cringe stall set and climbed with my alt named Kekura to 1.4k MMR with it.

1670534264157.png

Here is the team: https://pokepast.es/d6e52f0c48d9d26f

As you can see I am very fond of not running Prankster in my teams because I believe that Ice Scales, Fur Coat, and Unaware (even tho I am not using it on this team) are the new meta. However I am running 2 Imposters because I felt like doing cringe. That's also where I got my team name from (Identity Crisis). Anyways, all you have to do is lead Imposter Chansey and then watch as your opponent will switch into its improof or do "help I don't know what to do" stuff. Then after that you switch to either DonBOZO or Goodra-Hisui and then trap them and watch them cry. If you don't know if the mon your opponent brought to the battlefield is a special or physical attacker, just switch to Ting-Lu and then switch to either of the two after. If they have too much pivot moves switch to Darkceus and watch them panic as you set up like a madman because Poison Heal is ultra mega broken. Don't forget to click Imprison so that their Imposter cannot copy you, you can't be hazed, and you continue to slay like a girlboss. The team is yet to be optimized, but so far it's making my opponents tell my lifestory that they made up a.k.a. how I'm so miserable. They are half correct either way. Use this team while you can.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
Gorilla tactics Zacian-C has to go.

Fairy + ground is a one of the best dual attacking types this gen. Add v-create and GT+CB+terra, and there's nearly nothing that can tank it. Not only does ground cover nearly everythingthat resists fairy, but in this gen, nearly everything that resits ground with a decent defense also happens to have a secondary typing that makes it weak to fairy.

Gorilla tactics seems like a smarter quick ban than banning zacian-C (or both), but I feel in the long run Zacian-C will probably get the axe too. Right now it's pretty predictable because it's such a no brainer how GT + CB is broken, but even if GT gets banned, the predicatability will become problematic. The fact fire types are so shit this gen also makes Zacian-C even more dominant.

Last edited:

DuGuo

Just say love me.
is a Tiering Contributor
Some gimmicks from a player who has left.
Arceus-Electric @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Victory Dance
- Substitute
- Double Shock
- Glacial Lance
Double Shock will not lose the electric type of Arceus. This may be useful in a Dondozo traversing meta.
Ting-Lu @ Toxic Orb
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Victory Dance
- Precipice Blades

Ting-Lu @ Toxic Orb
Careful Nature
- Jaw Lock
- Taunt
- Victory Dance
- Precipice Blades
The first set looks boring. I'd like to talk about the second set. Jaw Lock can effectively counter the imposter. Unfortunately, this set is useless without it.
Zacian-Crowned @ Leftovers
Ability: Merciless
Jolly Nature
- Substitute / Taunt
- Swords Dance
- Magical Torque
- Headlong Rush
I tried it on the param team to fight against a large number of PH mons.
Koraidon @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Victory Dance
- Taunt
- Glaive Rush
- Low Kick
Unexpected excellence.

Paraspam

It's a good idea to break through Dondozo and other checks through para and Magic Torque Zacian. In particular, this generation of hazard settings and state enforcement are very easy.

Since I have already quit Pokemon, I don't want to talk too much about it. I only reached 1500 on the ladder and tested a lot with Nihilslave in a short time. So here are just some gimmicks. I built many teams around these and tested them with Nihilslave. If I had the chance, I would post after his game. Thanks.

Tea Guzzler

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
couple things:
  • Zacian should probably use gorilla tactics - in terms of choice band breaking, gorilla tactics is simply better than adaptability, since instead of a 33% boost to STAB you get 50% to everything. Move selection is a little awkward, I would consider dropping Gigaton Hammer for U-turn or Headlong Rush, as Behemoth Bash has higher damage output and can actually threaten things that don't get OHKOed by it (unlike Gigaton, where if they live the hit you are forced to struggle or switch).
  • Arceus is a bit awkward, mostly on the merit of no-protective-pads population bomb (especially since you have no Knock Off on the team to remove helmets). If you wanted to keep population bomb, I would probably say a Coil set with either Magic Guard + Life Orb or Pads + Another ability might be better suited. ESpeed might also be worth dropping for Precipice Blades, however I can see Scales here not being terrible so you can boost and remove opposing Miraidon trying to kill you with Rising Voltage.
  • Shed Shell imp is alright. Stops stuff like Spirit Shackle but I think in most cases this team wants Eviolite Imp.
  • Etern is pretty standard, I would probably go Modest over Timid since the majority of Miraidon's are Timid anyway, meaning you don't speed creep them.
  • Scarf Miraidon is a bit weird, partially because it's Timid Scarf and partially because it doesn't actually OHKO much. You have a Zacian for speed control, I would personally just drop this.
  • One Regen mon being your anti-setup, which can't stop Steel-type setup at all, probably can't sit.
  • This team has basically no imposter-proofing and the hazard removal option (Tidy Up Zama-C) is very sketchy.
https://pokepast.es/ed5a5a2f4e0bf74b This is something I threw together, tried to keep the core idea of the team the same whilst accounting for threats like Imposter, Miraidon, Zacian, Poison Healers and the like, as well as some small optimisations. Aecrus sorely misses Thousand Waves on this type of team, as Imposter has decent odds to just 1v1 Arceus thanks to not being trapped, however running mono-normal Arceus probably isn't the shout - if you wanted to change any mon on the team, Arceus would probably be the first to go.

Tea Guzzler

I feel that discussion on this issue isn't prevalent enough relative to the problem posed on the metagame. Whilst there is discussion, it is largely limited to Discord and doesn't impact many actions or adaptions within the current meta.

The Set-Up Problem

What is the problem?
In short, the set-up problem revolves around bulky boosters and the inability to beat them long-term in a meaningful capacity. Most commonly, this takes the form of Poison Heal or Moody stacking, with the goal of overwhelming counterplay methods in the long term and breaking through the opposing defences. Usually, this setup is in the form of Victory Dance or Quiver Dance (henceforth VQD), and can often by supplimented by Terastallizing.

What causes the problem?
In my opinion, the problem has 3 root causes - the amount of options available for bulky boosters, lack of options for counterplay methods (particularly in the long term), and the lacking ability to force them out via raw damage. A large amount of Pokemon are able to viably run bulky boosting sets, which throws off counterplay as blanket checks become significantly less effective and reliable - there are some bulky boosters that are more common than others, such as Poison Heal Arceus forms, however the sheer variety of options means that you are never truly safe. Gen 9 took away many key counterplay options in Topsy-Turvy, Spectral Thief, and Core Enforcer, making setup more threatening and harder to punish - in the same vein, the new Victory Dance (when conbined with Quiver Dance) means that these wincons are incredibly difficult to force out through raw damage, as anything that can do meaningful damage to a boosted threat likely dies in 1 or 2 hits.

What counterplay exists to these threats?
Counterplay is mostly similar across threats, with some of the most common options being Unaware, Haze, Phazing, Entrainment/Worry Seed, Imposter, and winning faster.
  • Unaware aims to blanket check set-up users by ignoring their boosts and brawling with them through raw damage. Both their offensive boosts are ignored, meaning that the Unaware user has an easier time surviving and doesn't need Haze, and their defensive boosts are ignored, meaning that the Unaware user can deal meaningful damage back.
  • Haze removes the boosts of any set-up threat, opening a small window where the threat is spending turns accumulating boosts again. It can also be used to feasibly PP stall Victory Dance (which has 16 PP unlike Quiver Dance's 32).
  • Phazing aims to force the target to switch, removing any boosts they carry in the process. Both attacking phazing (Dragon Tail / Circle Throw) and status phazing (Roar / Whirlwind) are used.
  • Entrainment/Worry Seed encourage the target to switch by removing their ability, which is often crucial to their attempts to set up - this means Poison Heal users are forced to switch to not die to Toxic, and Moody users aren't able to accumulate boosts anymore.
  • Imposter aims to force the target out by dealing more damage than it takes, meaning the set-up user has to switch out to stay alive. Eviolite Imposter packs higher raw bulk to take hits with, but Toxic Orb Imposter takes advantage of the defensive boosts and Poison Heal better.
  • Winning faster (usually with dangerous offensive threats) means set-up sweepers are largely denied the opportunity to start setting up in the first place. In this vein, the set-up users are never given a chance to be a problem.
If this counterplay exists, why are bulky users still a problem?
To put it bluntly, this counterplay is largely flawed - either it's passive, it's exploitable, or it loses long-term. Additionally, a large majority of teams are only able to pack 2 of these at most, essentially creating a lottery where the opponent might have a hard counter to your counter, or they don't and now it's a fairer playing field (but, often, far from a guaranteed win).
  • Unaware suffers from the issue of threat coverage - it's not possible for an Unaware user to both feasibly live every set-up threat, and also to feasibly counter-attack against every threat. These suffer from passivity issues and a limited health pool, which coverage like Precipice Blades eats through very quickly, and also do not appreciate Taunt or Substitute in any capacity.
  • As mentioned above, Haze can feasibly PP stall Victory Dance and also goes through Substitite. However, whilst Haze might PP stall setup, the user's limited health pool with 8 Recovers likely can't. This, similarly to the above, can also lead to issues with set-up threats fishing for a good matchup into your Prankster mon (the main Haze user on your team), meaning it can be relied on for a much shorter time. Taunt also forces Haze users to switch, meaning something on the team is forced to take hits in order to get the Haze user back in safely.
  • Phazing largely has issues with Substitute and Taunt, blocking attacking phazing and status phazing respectively. These aren't particularly reliable in the first place, since the user is forced to take a hit in order to use the moves, and set-up Pokemon often cary Tera Ghost or Tera Fairy which can completely blank Circle Throw or Dragon Tail.
  • Entrainment/Worry Seed, commonly used by Prankster Pokemon, excel at forcing set-up users out in the short term as with Prankster (or Bounce) they bypass Taunt. However, the aforementioned Substitute is used specifically because it blocks these from working (and it can be incredibly difficult to both break the substitute and get the Entrainment user in with the sub still down), and the Prankster user has to take a boosted attack if they want to force the opponent out before they simply switch after the Haze. Also has issues with Dark-types fishing for the immunity to these.
  • Imposter, whilst it can abuse the booster's defensive boosts, also suffers from this problem in reverse - the defensive boosts mean that the Imposter user often struggles to damage the opponent meaningfully, especially after Poison Heal. Toxic Orb Imposter loses less quickly than Eviolite but often still loses long-term due to the PP disadvantage and simply not being able to kill the opponent. Substitute existing also makes this less reliable than would be hoped.
  • Winning faster is often the most reliable option since you largely don't have to deal with the variation in set-up users and can attack before the boosts get out of hand. With these sorts of teams, however, getting off of the back foot is incredibly difficult unless you have a golden matchup, and random variation in Tera or coverage can be mortally damaging.
What can be done about it?
There's a few tiering decisions that can be made to ease the problem.
  • :lilligant: Banning VQD is likely the option that has the highest impact. A VQD ban would mean that set-up users become significantly more vulnerable to raw damage, both from offensive threats and from Imposter, fixing one of the current issues of set-up (largely PH) in that it's incredibly difficult to actually kill the threats - the easiest and most splashable options simply delay the problem by forcing the threat out.
  • :breloom: Banning Poison Heal would kick out one of the key crutches that these set-up threats have, which is infinite & passive longevity. This would largely solve the problem (especially in combination with a Moody ban), however the after-effects of no PH would significantly change the meta in a way that may not be desirable (chiefly, if Pokemon can no longer have easy infinite longevity, why bother going for longevity at all - likely leading to an offense fest). This also creates the issue of set-up mons simply shifting over to other abilities like FurScales, meaning the core problem still exists but to a slightly lesser degree.
  • :arceus: Banning the set-up mons is likely not the play. This would serve to remove a large amount of healthy Pokemon as collateral, and people will simply innovate and move over to new users, creating a continuing cycle and an inflating banlist. This would be a net negative outcome in pretty much every aspect.
  • :gengar: Banning the status moves that can snuff counterplay methods (Substitute and Taunt) is an odd but interesting option. Theoretically, by removing the ability for set-up threats to reliably block stuff like Entrainment, Haze or Dragon Tail, blanket checking these threats becomes easier to use and fit. However, I don't think this would work in practice and it also doesn't address the primary issue of these teams being oppressive in the long-term.
  • :dragonite: A Tera ban can be considered, which would mean that sudden Terastallizing to invalidate counterplay no longer exists, on top of making other offensive threats easier to handle. The issue here is that removing Tera doesn't change the issue of the set-up users being a matchup fish, and if anything worsens the problem of them being unkillable as offensive Pokemon can no longer Terastallize to boost damage and force switches. Therefore, I don't think a Tera ban will solve the problem here.
  • :smeargle: Moody should be considered separately from other abilities and in my opinion should be banned. By nature it's an uncompetitive ability as it forces binary and monotone counterplay, and also means counterplay can randomly fail based on timely boosts to the right stat. There is zero justifiable reason why this should stay legal, and it seems easiest to get rid of it now rather than having another Klang situation.
I hope that this is able to spart discussion about the issue. I've also got a survey on the current BH meta coming out at some point tomorrow where we're hoping to gauge the community's views on the current situation, so we can make more informed decisions.

Last edited:
I feel that discussion on this issue isn't prevalent enough relative to the problem posed on the metagame. Whilst there is discussion, it is largely limited to Discord and doesn't impact many actions or adaptions within the current meta.

The Set-Up Problem

What is the problem?
In short, the set-up problem revolves around bulky boosters and the inability to beat them long-term in a meaningful capacity. Most commonly, this takes the form of Poison Heal or Moody stacking, with the goal of overwhelming counterplay methods in the long term and breaking through the opposing defences. Usually, this setup is in the form of Victory Dance or Quiver Dance (henceforth VQD), and can often by supplimented by Terastallizing.

What causes the problem?
In my opinion, the problem has 3 root causes - the amount of options available for bulky boosters, lack of options for counterplay methods (particularly in the long term), and the lacking ability to force them out via raw damage. A large amount of Pokemon are able to viably run bulky boosting sets, which throws off counterplay as blanket checks become significantly less effective and reliable - there are some bulky boosters that are more common than others, such as Poison Heal Arceus forms, however the sheer variety of options means that you are never truly safe. Gen 9 took away many key counterplay options in Topsy-Turvy, Spectral Thief, and Core Enforcer, making setup more threatening and harder to punish - in the same vein, the new Victory Dance (when conbined with Quiver Dance) means that these wincons are incredibly difficult to force out through raw damage, as anything that can do meaningful damage to a boosted threat likely dies in 1 or 2 hits.

What counterplay exists to these threats?
Counterplay is mostly similar across threats, with some of the most common options being Unaware, Haze, Phazing, Entrainment/Worry Seed, Imposter, and winning faster.
  • Unaware aims to blanket check set-up users by ignoring their boosts and brawling with them through raw damage. Both their offensive boosts are ignored, meaning that the Unaware user has an easier time surviving and doesn't need Haze, and their defensive boosts are ignored, meaning that the Unaware user can deal meaningful damage back.
  • Haze removes the boosts of any set-up threat, opening a small window where the threat is spending turns accumulating boosts again. It can also be used to feasibly PP stall Victory Dance (which has 16 PP unlike Quiver Dance's 32).
  • Phazing aims to force the target to switch, removing any boosts they carry in the process. Both attacking phazing (Dragon Tail / Circle Throw) and status phazing (Roar / Whirlwind) are used.
  • Entrainment/Worry Seed encourage the target to switch by removing their ability, which is often crucial to their attempts to set up - this means Poison Heal users are forced to switch to not die to Toxic, and Moody users aren't able to accumulate boosts anymore.
  • Imposter aims to force the target out by dealing more damage than it takes, meaning the set-up user has to switch out to stay alive. Eviolite Imposter packs higher raw bulk to take hits with, but Toxic Orb Imposter takes advantage of the defensive boosts and Poison Heal better.
  • Winning faster (usually with dangerous offensive threats) means set-up sweepers are largely denied the opportunity to start setting up in the first place. In this vein, the set-up users are never given a chance to be a problem.
If this counterplay exists, why are bulky users still a problem?
To put it bluntly, this counterplay is largely flawed - either it's passive, it's exploitable, or it loses long-term. Additionally, a large majority of teams are only able to pack 2 of these at most, essentially creating a lottery where the opponent might have a hard counter to your counter, or they don't and now it's a fairer playing field (but, often, far from a guaranteed win).
  • Unaware suffers from the issue of threat coverage - it's not possible for an Unaware user to both feasibly live every set-up threat, and also to feasibly counter-attack against every threat. These suffer from passivity issues and a limited health pool, which coverage like Precipice Blades eats through very quickly, and also do not appreciate Taunt or Substitute in any capacity.
  • As mentioned above, Haze can feasibly PP stall Victory Dance and also goes through Substitite. However, whilst Haze might PP stall setup, the user's limited health pool with 8 Recovers likely can't. This, similarly to the above, can also lead to issues with set-up threats fishing for a good matchup into your Prankster mon (the main Haze user on your team), meaning it can be relied on for a much shorter time. Taunt also forces Haze users to switch, meaning something on the team is forced to take hits in order to get the Haze user back in safely.
  • Phazing largely has issues with Substitute and Taunt, blocking attacking phazing and status phazing respectively. These aren't particularly reliable in the first place, since the user is forced to take a hit in order to use the moves, and set-up Pokemon often cary Tera Ghost or Tera Fairy which can completely blank Circle Throw or Dragon Tail.
  • Entrainment/Worry Seed, commonly used by Prankster Pokemon, excel at forcing set-up users out in the short term as with Prankster (or Bounce) they bypass Taunt. However, the aforementioned Substitute is used specifically because it blocks these from working (and it can be incredibly difficult to both break the substitute and get the Entrainment user in with the sub still down), and the Prankster user has to take a boosted attack if they want to force the opponent out before they simply switch after the Haze. Also has issues with Dark-types fishing for the immunity to these.
  • Imposter, whilst it can abuse the booster's defensive boosts, also suffers from this problem in reverse - the defensive boosts mean that the Imposter user often struggles to damage the opponent meaningfully, especially after Poison Heal. Toxic Orb Imposter loses less quickly than Eviolite but often still loses long-term due to the PP disadvantage and simply not being able to kill the opponent. Substitute existing also makes this less reliable than would be hoped.
  • Winning faster is often the most reliable option since you largely don't have to deal with the variation in set-up users and can attack before the boosts get out of hand. With these sorts of teams, however, getting off of the back foot is incredibly difficult unless you have a golden matchup, and random variation in Tera or coverage can be mortally damaging.
What can be done about it?
There's a few tiering decisions that can be made to ease the problem.
  • :lilligant: Banning VQD is likely the option that has the highest impact. A VQD ban would mean that set-up users become significantly more vulnerable to raw damage, both from offensive threats and from Imposter, fixing one of the current issues of set-up (largely PH) in that it's incredibly difficult to actually kill the threats - the easiest and most splashable options simply delay the problem by forcing the threat out.
  • :breloom: Banning Poison Heal would kick out one of the key crutches that these set-up threats have, which is infinite & passive longevity. This would largely solve the problem (especially in combination with a Moody ban), however the after-effects of no PH would significantly change the meta in a way that may not be desirable (chiefly, if Pokemon can no longer have easy infinite longevity, why bother going for longevity at all - likely leading to an offense fest). This also creates the issue of set-up mons simply shifting over to other abilities like FurScales, meaning the core problem still exists but to a slightly lesser degree.
  • :arceus: Banning the set-up mons is likely not the play. This would serve to remove a large amount of healthy Pokemon as collateral, and people will simply innovate and move over to new users, creating a continuing cycle and an inflating banlist. This would be a net negative outcome in pretty every aspect.
  • :gengar: Banning the status moves that can snuff counterplay methods (Substitute and Taunt) is an odd but interesting option. Theoretically, by removing the ability for set-up threats to reliably block stuff like Entrainment, Haze or Dragon Tail, blanket checking these threats becomes easier to use and fit. However, I don't think this would work in practice and it also doesn't address the primary issue of these teams being oppressive in the long-term.
  • :dragonite: A Tera ban can be considered, which would mean that sudden Terastallizing to invalidate counterplay no longer exists, on top of making other offensive threats easier to handle. The issue here is that removing Tera doesn't change the issue of the set-up users being a matchup fish, and if anything worsens the problem of them being unkillable as offensive Pokemon can no longer Terastallize to boost damage and force switches. Therefore, I don't think a Tera ban will solve the problem here.
  • :smeargle: Moody should be considered separately from other abilities and in my opinion should be banned. By nature it's an uncompetitive ability as it forces binary and monotone counterplay, and also means counterplay can randomly fail based on timely boosts to the right stat. There is zero justifiable reason why this should stay legal, and it seems easiest to get rid of it now rather than having another Klang situation.
I hope that this is able to spart discussion about the issue. I've also got a survey on the current BH meta coming out at some point tomorrow where we're hoping to gauge the community's views on the current situation, so we can make more informed decisions.
I'm glad a discussion was sparked regarding this issue. This alone took all the words out right of my mouth, and I couldn't agree more. Not to mention that Unaware is unable to tank setup sweepers that are equipped with Power Trip / Stored Power. What I found most effective in dealing with setup sweepers was cheese-trapping them (i.e. ImpForm or Perish Song) since most of them do not carry a pivot move. But even that is stopped by Substitute or Ghost-type (Tera or not) setup sweepers. The only good thing here is that Perish Song guarantees their pressure will be gone after 3 turns, but that doesn't mean they can't just setup again (assuming they didn't let their setup mon die to Perish Song). Even with the stall team I shared, I had a Darkceus Poison Heal setup sweeper. Setup is just very strong in this current meta. With that being said, I would personally be careful with the bans because one wrong ban can turn the meta into either a hyper-offensive one, or a stall meta. I agree with banning VQD but more of like a temporary ban and then re-open the case once Pokemon Home arrives.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
I agree set up sweepers are somewhat problematic and I don't really see how to solve it without banning stuff I don't think should be banned (except moody, no point in keeping that). Spectral thief really was a great balancing force that will be missed. I've always loved using whirlwind to counter set up sweepers, and I still think it's one of the best things to carry right now, but it does require some form of timing to make sure you don't end up with a passive mon on the field once your opponent sends in his set up sweeper as a last mon. Perish song is an alternative that counters this problem, but it's pretty annoying your opponent still gets a free hit or 2 in before being forced to switch out.

My favourite way to deal with set up sweepers right now and probably my favourite set over all this gen has been this one however.

Arceus-Electric @ Icicle Plate
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Cage
- Judgment
- Encore
- Milk Drink

Electric has always been one of if not the best defensive typing, but there's never really been any great abusers because electric types are usualy frail or carry a secondary typing that adds weaknesses. Arceus is really the only pure electric type to pack some bulk and becomes a great candidate for an unaware anti set up sweeper that also packs an immunity to paralysis and knock off/trick. Unlike other unaware mons however, he actually has a very effective kill set up very few mons can counter and usualy manges to deal decent damage on the switch to the rare mons that do counter him and force a switch.
Thunder cage + ice judgment offers great coverage as well as a form of passive damage and trapping to compensate for the fact you don't carry a set up move yourself. Judment also happens to hit hard giratina and ground types which resist your main killing option. Encore + trapping is such a great combination this gen with all recovery moves being lowered to 8 pp and everyone expecting to be set up swept rather than trapped. Once you've landed a thunder cage, your opponent is unkowingly forced to use a 2HKO move, toxic, pivot or to use a healing move, but the latter will only work once, since after the second 4-5 turn trap, he'll be out of healing PP (unless it's strength sap or jungle healing which are likely to be inadequate forms of healing to escape a 4 turn KO. An encore'd strength sap + trapping can also be used to heal your own magic bouncer). If your opponent uses any other move, you can simply encore him and with arceus' decent strength and coverage, you're nearly assured to get the kill before thunder cage trap ends.

Unless your opponent packs a set up mon with a strong ground move that kills arceus before arceus kills it, he likely can only kill arceus through traditional non set up wallbreaking, regenvest+pivot, a magic bouncer that escapes the 2hko or toxic.

Last edited:
Ban Moody.

I tried laddering with this ability and it's so braindead omg.

I got to 9th on ladder despite multiple people building counter teams :)
1670784844425.png

https://pokepast.es/63c2e4e2a3536d83

take this team and watch as 90% of the time everything just folds instantly.
Bad matchup? Scary Miraidon gonna 2hko your whole team? Click protect and just get a spdef or speed boost.

It's shocking how many times moody can pull wins out of nowhere, sometimes you can just get the right boosts at the right time and nothing can stop you.

This team is built in order to handle most moody counterplay and follows an extremely dumb gameplan.
:groudon: Lead with this guy, he's the best at breaking teams open and should usually be your tera because you can easily let imposter believe it's checking you while accruing crucial boosts.
:arceus: :zacian: If they have a prankster not weak to groudon, try using these guys to beat it up, if it's not weak to groudon that means zacian can likely poison it, and if you can do neither, it's probably weak enough for arceus to power through, don't tera arc if they have an imp.
:mewtwo: use this guy to clean up against stall teams once the prank is gone, it also baits ting lu which is passive as shit and you can usually boost up against.
:zarude: this guy improofs groudon and mewtwo and can whirlwind out opposing boosters
:chansey: imposter is imposter use it to check offensive threats if your moody mons don't get the right boosts, it basically acts to give you more chances to proc moody properly

Anyways I hope if people on ladder use this team people will get annoyed enough to take tiering action.

Tea Guzzler

Hi! We have the first survey of the generation. This is to see what people think of the current metagame, to help us identify how problematic people think stuff is and what they'd prefer to be done about it. Responses are anonymous unless you choose to give us your PS name (optional).
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/18ynDsEnWK3VOhHC_EYkIIu3A7KRP6TpVONukn_-yhKE/
Thanks for your time!

Time to talk about the meta. For me, the council needs to rid off 3 things : Moody, Poison Heal and Gorilla Tactics.

Like it was said the previous post, Moody still Moody. Spamming Sub + protect move could offer you the opportunity to win a game without effort if you got the right boost. Even if I think the Moody spam team isn't optimal, it is so hard to counter it and don't have a real counter play. Also don't need specially to spam this ability to win a game.

It just need to disappear to the BH meta... Please QB that.
Poison Heal gives you Statut immunity, passive recover. In return, you must wear a Toxic Orb. Once you have the Toxic Orb triggers, your Poison Heal become a Knock off Folder. Without Core Enforcer, you don't have a lot of conterplay. Entrainment/Worry Seed/Gastro Acid are all blocked by Taunt or Sub and a lot of Wallbreaker PH will run Taunt because all defensive pokemon will not be able to haze or heal. PH are well self-improof so Imposter isn't counter it (often the only way to counter it is to try to taunt you before you taunt it...). You don't need to run a healing move so you could run a movepool like -> Set up move / Taunt / STAB spam / what do you want. Even if you don't run Taunt, PH still hard to deal with it because it is hard to stop the passive healing + the set-up + the offensive move.

The current question is "Was PH broken? or QDVD? or even Taunt or Sub?

I don't think set-up move are actually the problem. without taunt an unaware, a prankster or simply a FC/IS could tank the set-up sweeper.
Also your PH wallbreaking set don't need QDVD. Just Tidy up is efficient if you improof by tera (like arceus Ground who becaume fly and imposter don't have the def boost and couldn't touch the other arceus...).
Taunt/Sub is nice but hard to run in a movepool for a set-up wallbreaker... You need Taunt / a healing move / a set-up move and it gives you one offensive move? If the offensive move got walled because resist or immunity... Maybe 2 offensives moves and no recover? Could work but you will be chipped damage easily and a Salt Cure move will annoy you... and also if you get Prankster Glare/wow or just nuzzle your pokemon will have trouble to do his job. Substitute could be played around (Sound-move, Encore,

Poison Heal is broken because it gives you a lot of advantage (Passive recovery/ Immunity to statut/ No need of a healing move on your wallbreaking set so could run Taunt easily / Self-improof/ Hard to break this ability because Taunt) and all this advantages gives you the opportunity to Wallbreak/sweep your opponent without real counterplay.
So some people talk about Zac-C Gorilla Tactics, and the poll propose something against Zac-C and nothing on Gorilla Tactics. I think the council didn't take that seriously so I will...
Gorilla Tactics isn't healthy for the meta. it could destroys defensive core pretty easily. This kind of set (contrary to Sword of Ruins) choice lock the imposter and is easy to improof that because Imposter don't run Choice Band. Actually, you need a good Fur Coat like Dondozo because Zacian-C with this ability is quite popular but you forgot one thing... Zac-C isn't the only user...

Groudon @ Choice Band
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
Adamant Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Earthquake/v-create/Bitter Blade
- Mortal Spin
- Extreme Speed/First Impression

I present MY version of Wallbreaking. Improof by Corviknight Psea, this set breaks a lot of defensive core once you have tera with him. Basically, Headlong Rush OHKO nearly all non Fur Coat user and 2HKO nearly all FC user and if you don't outspeed it you are just dead (and yes 150BS in attack is A LOT)... Ting-lu/Dondozo/Giratina/Groudon/Arceus... All of them could be easily killed and your groudon have enough bulk to take passive hit. If you don't have ground immunity/resist, you are weak to that (and Flying-type aren't that current and Bug/Grass is nearly never see).With some pivot, you just need to obtain some tempo, and place groudon at the right timing and the opponent must sacrifice a pokemon. I add some priority to revengekill. You could also run Scarf version for surprise outspeed but you will lack a bit of power.

Some Replays:
Gorilla breaks / PH sweep
0 switch-in
IT HURTS
And an another one

So now I talked about the 3 main problem, i will talk about some underated set.

Groudon @ Choice Band
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
Adamant Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Earthquake/v-create/Bitter Blade
- Mortal Spin
- Extreme Speed/First Impression

Yes, I have already talked about it, but this guy is a BIG wallbreaker and people often forget Iit could also run offensive set. Also I publish in case of you don't read the spoiler called "Gorilla Tactics". Actually it 2HKO some popular FC set like Dodonzo and OHKO some popular defensive set like Regevest Ting-lu without +def nature for exemple. Improofed by Corviknight Psea, an underated pokemon too... Try it if Orichalcum Pulse is hard to deal for you.

Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Fur Coat
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Strength Sap / Clear Smog
- Parting Shot
- Recover

I wanted to test that, and it was quite good. Ghost/Fire doesn't seem to be a great defensive typing but you have a lot of useful resist like Fairy/Fighting/Fire/Steel. With Fur Coat it have got some a good defensive bulk and with all with resistances he could act as a Ghost Fur Coat without using your Arceus slot and without be weak to fairy like Giratina. The Water Tera is for Palafin-Hero who could be really scary if you don't run Dodonzo FC...

Last edited:
couple things:
  • Zacian should probably use gorilla tactics - in terms of choice band breaking, gorilla tactics is simply better than adaptability, since instead of a 33% boost to STAB you get 50% to everything. Move selection is a little awkward, I would consider dropping Gigaton Hammer for U-turn or Headlong Rush, as Behemoth Bash has higher damage output and can actually threaten things that don't get OHKOed by it (unlike Gigaton, where if they live the hit you are forced to struggle or switch).
  • Arceus is a bit awkward, mostly on the merit of no-protective-pads population bomb (especially since you have no Knock Off on the team to remove helmets). If you wanted to keep population bomb, I would probably say a Coil set with either Magic Guard + Life Orb or Pads + Another ability might be better suited. ESpeed might also be worth dropping for Precipice Blades, however I can see Scales here not being terrible so you can boost and remove opposing Miraidon trying to kill you with Rising Voltage.
  • Shed Shell imp is alright. Stops stuff like Spirit Shackle but I think in most cases this team wants Eviolite Imp.
  • Etern is pretty standard, I would probably go Modest over Timid since the majority of Miraidon's are Timid anyway, meaning you don't speed creep them.
  • Scarf Miraidon is a bit weird, partially because it's Timid Scarf and partially because it doesn't actually OHKO much. You have a Zacian for speed control, I would personally just drop this.
  • One Regen mon being your anti-setup, which can't stop Steel-type setup at all, probably can't sit.
  • This team has basically no imposter-proofing and the hazard removal option (Tidy Up Zama-C) is very sketchy.
https://pokepast.es/ed5a5a2f4e0bf74b This is something I threw together, tried to keep the core idea of the team the same whilst accounting for threats like Imposter, Miraidon, Zacian, Poison Healers and the like, as well as some small optimisations. Aecrus sorely misses Thousand Waves on this type of team, as Imposter has decent odds to just 1v1 Arceus thanks to not being trapped, however running mono-normal Arceus probably isn't the shout - if you wanted to change any mon on the team, Arceus would probably be the first to go.
Ty I just learned g tactics isn’t banned lol

Storm Eagle

Banned deucer.
So some people talk about Zac-C Gorilla Tactics, and the poll propose something against Zac-C and nothing on Gorilla Tactics. I think the council didn't take that seriously so I will...
Gorilla Tactics isn't healthy for the meta. it could destroys defensive core pretty easily. This kind of set (contrary to Sword of Ruins) choice lock the imposter and is easy to improof that because Imposter don't run Choice Band. Actually, you need a good Fur Coat like Dondozo because Zacian-C with this ability is quite popular but you forgot one thing... Zac-C isn't the only user...
I don't think it's that the council didn't take Gorilla Tactics seriously, it's that GT is likely already going to be quickbanned but the council hasn't shared that action yet because they want to get more feedback on other stuff first so multiple votes can be held. I doubt feedback would have mattered regarding Gorilla Tactics which is why it wasn't mentioned.

Although I genuinely do find it strange that Zac-C was asked about, but I consider it a healthy presence in the metagame currently.
Poison Heal is broken because it gives you a lot of advantage (Passive recovery/ Immunity to statut/ No need of a healing move on your wallbreaking set so could run Taunt easily / Self-improof/ Hard to break this ability because Taunt) and all this advantages gives you the opportunity to Wallbreak/sweep your opponent without real counterplay.
Honestly I think that Victory Dance and Quiver Dance boosting defense makes PH too hard to break offensively. I've always looked at move bans having much less of an impact on a meta than ability bans, although I'm sure some people will disagree. Tidy Up is the exact same as Dragon Dance, which isn't normally an issue.

But having read your post, you do bring up good points. PH sweepers are the main issue here, and VD/QD isn't typically a problem on other sets. There's also the point that Taunt and Substitute make something already oppressive even worse. Honestly to an extent I think PH is healthy because it serves as a wincon with longevity, and no one has ever really complained about defensive PH. Not to mention that PH blocking status is something that's very healthy for the meta given Gen 8 BH had a shit ton of paralysis spam and status spam is something that I definitely don't want to see return, especially if PH gets banned from BH9.

I feel like any action taken on this is a Catch-22. I don't realistically expect tools used by offense such as Taunt/Substitute to get banned. Although I'd agree with those two getting banned to curb offense teams. So in practice it's exclusively a question of whether PH or VD/QD is going to get banned. I hope we don't go full on nuclear here and risk causing fundamental changes to the meta that end up making it way less fun long term.

BH POST !! BH POST !! BH POST !!

First off, I'd like to announce that MAMP has decided to step down from the BH council. His wealth of experience with tiering BH was extremely helpful for the first month of gen9bh, and I'd just like to publicly thank him for it. Secondly, the very awesome TTTech will be coming in to replace him! Congrats on joining council! TTTech has been a mainstay in the BH community for quite some time, going back all the way to gen6bh. He's played at the highest level, and was a key innovator in gen8bh. His experience, and keen understanding of the BH metagame will be very helpful, and council is very excited to work with him!

Secondly, just an update on the discussions that have been had regarding poison heal, quiver dance / victory dance, terrastalize, Zacian-C, and Moody. Council is currently keeping a very close eye on them. We're very interested in seeing the resolts of the community survey in tea's post above, and how it compares to the current discussions in forums, and in discord, along with council's view in general. We'll most likely give the meta another week to settle down, and then expect some stuff, at the end of this week!

Below you can find a table outlining the general thoughts that council is currently sitting on.
XxLazzerpenguinxXquojovacityscapesTea GuzzlerTTTechResult (ban - sus - dnb)
Poison Healdo not bando not bando not bando not bando not ban0 - 0 - 5
Quiver / Victory Dancedo not bansuspectdo not bansuspectsuspect0 - 3 - 2
Terrastalizesuspectdo not bando not bansuspectdo not ban0 - 2 - 3
Zacian-Crowneddo not bansuspectsuspectsuspectsuspect0 - 4 - 1
Orichalcum Pulsedo not bando not bando not bando not bando not ban0 - 0 - 5
Moodydo not bando not bansuspectbansuspect1 - 2 - 2
Miraidondo not bando not bando not bando not bando not ban0 - 0 - 5

What's interesting here, is that it seems like in general, council hasn't really agreed on banning anything, with overall, only one vote coming in to ban Moody. However, there seemed to be more of a consensus that the next tiering decision would most likely be a suspect - which will most probably be heavily effected by the community survey results. I think also it seems to be agreed upon that to some extent or another Poison Heal sweepers are potentially too strong, but other factors such as Quiver Dance / Victory Dance or Terrastalize are being looked at, as to what's enabling the brokeness of Poison Heal.

Lastly, I'd like to say as well is that sample submissions are now open! We feel as if now is a good time to do it, with the meta begging to ever so slightly start taking shape. Below you can find a general format that would be nice for sample submissions:
Team Name: Name of Team
Description: A brief description of the team style (i.e. Double Poison Heal Bulky offense)
Pokepaste:
How to use:
How do I use my wincons, rough game-plan
Weaknesses: What the team might be weak against, what you can do vs. these weaknesses
Effectiveness: Record with team, how good have you found it, tour performance, etc.

I'd like to briefly put in my thoughts here. I'm not yet fully set on really banning anything. I haven't found Zacian-Crowned, Orichalcum Pulse, or Gorilla Tactics for that matter to be too overbearing or uncompetitive per say - yet. I feel as if the current way the BH metagame has developed is quite nice. I enjoy the aspects of long term Poison Heal wincons that can really force their way vs. shorten term wincons such as Orichalcum Pulse, Zac-c, and Gorilla Tactics. Occasionally to me, Terrastalize has felt uncompetitive, with last minute games being flippedon their head, and no great way to predict it, but I think the mechanic itself can be fun. I think Poison Heal sweepers with Quiver Dance and Victory Dance, are most likely the best pokemon in BH currently, but I'm not yet sure whether the way they do operate is uncompetitive yet, and how to tier it to me is still unclear. I'm not set on looking at Quiver Dance / Victory Dance, because they haven't seemed uncompetitive / overbearing on non-Poison Heal users. Terrastalize on the other hand, has occasionally shown brokennes on both Poison Heal and other offensive mons, which is why it raises a slightly larger red flag for me. While I'm currently not really looking at Moody too much either, I think we can start seeing its brokenness / uncompetitiveness taking shape, so it's slowly beggining to move up my own watchlist. That's all I've got to say!

Tea Guzzler

I am submitting my recent RMT as a sample too
Name: Hell on Earth
Synopsis: Tough Claws Hoopa-U Offense
Paste: https://pokepast.es/3001f15f7c4e1355
How to use: Hoopa is your main sweeping threat and you should aim to get it in as much as possible. Zacian-C and Groudon both aim to help soften physical walls that Hoopa struggles with, such as opposing Arceus-Fire, with both helping limit offensive threats in the process. Arceus-Fire, Dondozo and Groudon fill the defensive slots, with Enamorus in the back as secondary hazard control and additional wallbreaking potential.
Other options:
  • :hoopa-unbound: Lonely ensures you can outspeed +1 neutral-natured Arceus after Shift Gear, but if this isn't a concern then Brave works.
  • :arceus: Circle Throw Arceus-Fire can help deal with Poison Heal users. Likely slot to replace is Heal Bell.
  • :zacian-crowned: If Gorilla Tactics isn't your thing, other damaging sets like Sword of Ruin or Ruination/Taunt can also work.
Weaknesses:
  • :arceus: Poison Heal Arceus is annoying, particularly Arceus-Dark as it's immune to Entrainment. Keeping Enamorus healthy is your best form of counterplay.
  • :groudon: Ground-types are naturally trouble since the Fur Coat wall is a Fire-type, so using Dondozo as a semi-replacement can work.
  • :palkia: Tera your Groudon and cope with Water Spout, or try to out-offense it with Zacian.
How Effective: See the RMT here. Has been brought to BH No Johns 3 times and hasn't lost, also beats good players.

TTTech

My fate is a haunted curse!
is a Pre-Contributor
My sample submission
Team Name: Sound of The Beast

Description: Double PH Semi-Stall

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/9a5cd1a74d17f219

How to use: Kyogre and Ting Lu is your main offensive presence on the team with both having set up moves and knock off. Arceus-Steel is your special wall being AvRegen, as well as being a reliable hazard setter for the team. Giratina and Dondozo are your physical walls that can keep hazards off the field and Giratina improofs both. Chansey is your emergency switchin because it can tank just about any hit reliably, or you can simply use it for scouting.

Weakness: Even at +1/+2 Ting Lu still can't outspeed majority of the fastest threats in the tier, Magic Bounce can be iffy if your strength sap mons are low, Good as Gold (same issues with magic bounce), Pixilate Zacian-C with pop bomb, Toxic orb Imposter, Self improofed Miraidon if Arceus-Steel or Ting Lu is low on HP

Effectiveness: Got me to 1550s with no effort, pretty easy to use once you understand matchups and the structure

On Poison Heal
Why Poison Heal Set-up Taunt are broken?
Heavily agree with this. We all agree that there is something broken about Poison Heal rn, and while council (and several others in discord) are leaning towards VQD being more troublesome, I strongly disagree with it, as banning VQD is not only a worse option than banning PH, but it also doesn't solve the problem.
Tera is a completely different issue, it enhances the already busted Poison Heal but Poison Heal without it is still broken. I have a long Tera discussion post planned but its too long so I'll post it separately probably after tour ends.

Why is Poison Heal broken and suspect worthy?
Tea does an excellent job of going into detail on this subject in this post, but basically, PH is incredibly splashable, super hard to punish, and very difficult to defensively check. What Tea didn't get into is the number of viable Poison Heal users. Almost every single Pokemon that is not a Steel- or Poison-type can viably run Poison Heal, and when one considers how many distinctly different Pokemon that is, it is easy to realize how its very very difficult, arguably near impossible, to prepare for all of these.

The many different Poison Heal abusers:
While the most common Poison Heal users we see are stuff like Groudon, Fairyceus, etc. There are so many different viable options, and each with their unique typings and stats demands different checks. Even users that would be weak to meta threats/revenge killers like Zacian-C and Miraidon are completely viable, not even considering Tera. For specific examples of viable users we have:
Giratina-O, Mewtwo, Palkia-O, Rayquaza, Koraidon, Miraidon, Groudon, Kyogre, Palafin-H, Ursaluna, Arceus-[Not Steel or Poison], and more.
Not only do the types not share checks, but even for the same type the Poison Heal Pokemon can be physical or special. e.g. You switch-in an Ice Scales into PH Fairyceus only for it to reveal VD Torque.
Thus the only "universal" PH check is Toxic Orb Imposter (and Misty Terrain to delay orb proccing entirely). And even for Imposter, several Poison Heal sets have the ability to bypass it, especially with Tera.
What this means for the meta is that its an incredibly matchup based meta. If you brought a Poison Heal user that your opponent did not prepare for, then you straight up have an enormous advantage. Note that this is different from previous metas because Poison Heal as a whole is very difficult to soft check, and all of these sets are viable. Previously, say you brought a MMY that has a good matchup, your opponent can still play around that MMY by trying to inflict status, play with predicts, using Imposter effectively, etc.

On why VQD is only problematic on Poison Heal:
We have established that Poison Heal as a whole is an issue (and that banning individual mons does literally nothing). Now, Tea mentioned in his post that banning PH could lead to other setup sets like bulky FurScales setup that also abuse VQD, and thus PH ban would not completely solve the core problem.
However, as DF-Shock mentioned in his post already, these alternate setup sets have big disadvantages compared to Poison Heal: They are vulnerable to status, they need recovery since they do not have the passive, infinite recovery that PH offers.
Being vulnerable to status is a big deal. Burn completely cripples physical sets, Paralysis is annoying for all sets, and (assuming a PH ban), poison sets a timer on all these sets. As a minor note, lack of immunity to status also means some status utility moves like Wisp and Glare are less desirable because of potential Magic Bounce.
Needing to run a moveslot for recovery is also significant. Currently PH users only need a setup move and a STAB move, with two free slots for coverage and utility. For non-PH setup, they need to add a recovery move, meaning they either have to forgo coverage or utility. Forgoing coverage means it struggles a lot more against resists, while forgoing utility like status inflicting moves or Taunt means defensive mons have a lot easier time checking it through status moves, recovery, or counter setup.
Also, by running recovery, these sets are also more vulnerable to Imposter. Physical setup sets would be forced to either have trapping or run leech seed (or some other non-orthodox option) to deal with Imposter, while special sets need ways to significantly damage Imposter without getting PP stalled (Judgment).
So overall, non-PH bulky setup, while can definitely be good (we already see this in Ghostceus and QD Miraidon), is overall less threatening, less splashable, and easier to answer.

On why Poison Heal is still busted without VQD
One reason why people propose to ban VQD instead of PH is that PH will be hurt significantly without it, but I disagree with this. Outside of VQD, we still have CM, BU, Tidy Up, DD, SG, etc. Since the latter 3 don't boost defenses and will have more limited users, we'll just consider CM and BU as direct replacements.
The main difference here is obviously the speed boost, but how significant is this speed boost in the first place? Poison Heal Pokemon, due to the lack of a boosting item and ability, as well as general reliance on slightly weaker moves for PP, are significantly weaker than wallbreaking sets. Not even boosted moves will generally OHKO foes, especially notable in a full EV meta. Thus, if the opponent brings in a Pokemon that can OHKO said PH user, then the speed boost really doesn't matter that much, you still would not stay in unless you have a specific status move to survive or you decide you want to fish for a Scald burn or something.
If the opponent cannot OHKO you (so 2HKO), then the speed boost matters here if you can 2HKO them, but even without the speed boost this is still a winning matchup. You simply trade hits, and then switch out, because through Poison Heal you can heal off the damage taken easily, while the opponent likely cannot (revenge-killers are typically choiced or sets without good longevity). Slow pivot into revenge-killer is also punished by Substitute, a completely valid move on multiple Poison Heal users.
Also, if we consider the specific PH users, we notice that they are all quite fast. Most have minimum 120 speed, so being outsped is limited to a small pool of Pokemon.
Finally, the speed boost does not even matter for defensive counterplay. Unless a VQD ban suddenly leads to a surge of popularity for fast defensive mons like Eternatus, the bulky boosts from CM and BU still means that the defensive counterplay against PH is the same as before (nonexistent). So its still going to be matchup fish just like rn, except theres an extra layer on if there is an offensive revenge-killer to provide a soft check for a few turns.

TLDR
Poison Heal is busted and makes game not fun, VQD is not busted on non PH sets, PH without VQD is still busted, suspect PH

Other stuff
Already talked about Tera; Moody is pretty uncompetitive and just luck cheese, bringing nothing competitive to the game, might as well get rid of it; Gorilla Tactics is strong for sure but I haven't seen that many good abusers; Zacian-C is incredible and definitely worth suspecting after PH and Tera, Band sets are not the only sets, go check out quojova's latest series in the no johns tour, that set is just one of many Zacian-C can viably run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)