Baton Pass - its role in the metagame and possible solutions to nerf full Baton Pass chains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not when adapting means screwing yourself against literally any other viable playstyle by packing some ridiculous shit to counter BP. So instead of "adapting" by using some random unviable bullshit and playing man down against DeoSharp Offense, or whatever, we want to nerf the mindless strategy that turns laddering into Rock Papper Scissors. Sorry.
Thundurus, mega pinsir, trace mega gardevoir, talonflame, crobat, sturdy, red card, and prankster are all viable and easy to fit into a team... Some of the other moves maybe less viable, but those all are perfectly valid things to use that can easily support your team against other teams as well.

Phasing moves fit well into stall teams so I don't know what's wrong with using those too.

The meta simply needs to adjust...

Thundurus, mega pinsir, trace mega gardevoir, talonflame, crobat, sturdy, red card, and prankster are all viable and easy to fit into a team... Some of the other moves maybe less viable, but those all are perfectly valid things to use that can easily support your team against other teams as well.
The meta simply needs to adjust...
Gardevoir can't break BP by itself due to Mr. Mime and Sylveon, Talonflame is neutered after an Acid Armor or Iron Defense, Sturdy is irrelevant since it cannot stop Stored Power Espeon at all, and Red Card doesn't activate if the Pokemon holding it dies, which will happen if hit by a hard Stored Power. Crobat is subpar at best in the metagame, and there are almost no viable Prankster users outside of the aforementioned Thundurus that are not completely dead weight against other teams, so this is irrelevant as well. There reall'y arent many answers to Baton Pass that aren't obscure choices that put one at a major disadvantage against other teams.

Question if everyone starts to run baton pass counters, then everyone is supposedly held back and wouldn't the game become even again. Those who don't adjust probably aren't very good and with the supposed disadvantage they still will be beaten.

Mr. Mime is sub par bp now so by the sub par argument, gardevoir is still a viable option considering it only doesn't work against a sub par poke.

Question if everyone starts to run baton pass counters, then everyone is supposedly held back and the game becomes even again. Those who don't adjust probably aren't very good and with the supposed disadvantage they still will be beaten.
So wait you're admitting BP counters hold a team back and your justification for keeping them is "if a team ISN'T running a BP counter, the the player sucks, therefore you should be able to beat that shitty, stupid player even at a disadvantage"? So all "good" players are supposed to pledge to run BP counters so the game is "fair" instead of exploiting the weak BP counters people are using?? Am I getting this right?

That anti-ban comments almost have nonsense because

Baton pass is a very ocassional team on the ladder, almost a 10% , and if it is like a rock,paper,scizors you will lose agains that 90% of the times only to beat a 10% that is so unhealty to the metagame

Almost all the people that is posting anti-ban comments is because them uses BP as main team

You can call something that gives you an autowin 90% of the times that is not broken? doing that all the game will be around BP, stall and HO will dissapear, that's what the people wants?

BP counters are unhealthy, why don't understand it?

Honestly this thread reached an absurd amount of pages and the fact that after all this people still CANNOT find any reliable counters, something is wrong. I don't care if you think people are lacking creativity and they should just adapt (w/e the fuck it means in this context). We should not HAVE to run Haze on every team we make just to counter a broken as fuck playstyle as this.

I can't believe people are still suggesting phazing moves to deal with them... just why are you even posting?

BP teams have pretty much everything to deal with it's counters, and it definitely needs a nerf in some way.

And what the fuck is even a Trace Mega Gardevoir?

Alright name me five other pokemon Infiltrator Spiritomb beats
Latios (depending on EVs), many decent physical attackers not of the Fairy type that hate getting burned and then Foul Played, Blissey if she's not packing Toxic (if you're not packing Rest), slow support pokemon like Chansey that obviously hate getting Trick Scarfed, then statused (Scarf Tomb gets 159 Spd, faster than base 60s with no investment), Tomb could also run a Trick CM set with Dark Pulse that could give stuff like Alakazam problems as long as it has some SDef investment, Gengar with Dark move with SDef investment or Sucker Punch, Slow CMers (lol Musharna).

Spiritomb has a lot of potential. I think like I said though you guys should walk the walk if you're gonna talk the talk and show us how well you can do on ladder with a "broken" BP team.

Spiritomb has a lot of potential. I think like I said though you guys should walk the walk if you're gonna talk the talk and show us how well you can do on ladder with a "broken" BP team.

Maybe you should have a gander at the top of the ladder yourself (lets say 1700+). If you did you'd know that it is littered with baton pass spam to the point that it's sickening and people resorting to using haze quagsire on stall

Honestly this thread reached an absurd amount of pages and the fact that after all this people still CANNOT find any reliable counters, something is wrong. I don't care if you think people are lacking creativity and they should just adapt (w/e the fuck it means in this context). We should not HAVE to run Haze on every team we make just to counter a broken as fuck playstyle as this.
^Stop needlessly swearing so much please.

First off, Haze IS reliable in the sense that it breaks the Baton Pass chain- through Subs, regardless of Soundproof/Magic Bounce/Mental Herb- and is therefore reliable in countering the strategy. If you can force the Baton Passer to have to continually regroup and try to boost again, you can wear them down.

Next, I seem to recall that Espeon, one of the main debating points here, was not OU until it received Magic Bounce as a Hidden Ability. Suddenly players had to consider running a counter to it. Pretend that the new tools Baton Pass received are the same way. This should be easy since the counter has existed since Gen1.

Finally, nobody is forcing you to run anything on a team that you don't want to. The way the ladder is supposed to work, in my understanding, is that it can determine your skill over a period of results. Since full Baton Pass is not a majority of teams used on the ladder, over time, you can establish your skill rating regardless of a few "cheap" losses to Baton Pass. But frankly, if anyone is using an argument on how ladder ratings are unfairly being manipulated by Baton Pass users... just stop. Please. Ladder ranks are not part of the metagame or this discussion. Remember that there are hundreds of players on Showdown that are not anywhere near the top of the ladder, yet any decision or ban that is made affects them as well.

So wait you're admitting BP counters hold a team back and your justification for keeping them is "if a team ISN'T running a BP counter, the the player sucks, therefore you should be able to beat that shitty, stupid player even at a disadvantage"? So all "good" players are supposed to pledge to run BP counters so the game is "fair" instead of exploiting the weak BP counters people are using?? Am I getting this right?
No I'm saying that if you guys think that even the viable counters hold a team back then everyone who ran them would be on even ground. I personally don't see how a lot of these counters aren't viable.

First off, Haze IS reliable in the sense that it breaks the Baton Pass chain- through Subs, regardless of Soundproof/Magic Bounce/Mental Herb- and is therefore reliable in countering the strategy. If you can force the Baton Passer to have to continually regroup and try to boost again, you can wear them down.

Next, I seem to recall that Espeon, one of the main debating points here, was not OU until it received Magic Bounce as a Hidden Ability. Suddenly players had to consider running a counter to it. Pretend that the new tools Baton Pass received are the same way. This should be easy since the counter has existed since Gen1.

Finally, nobody is forcing you to run anything on a team that you don't want to. The way the ladder is supposed to work, in my understanding, is that it can determine your skill over a period of results. Since full Baton Pass is not a majority of teams used on the ladder, over time, you can establish your skill rating regardless of a few "cheap" losses to Baton Pass. But frankly, if anyone is using an argument on how ladder ratings are unfairly being manipulated by Baton Pass users... just stop. Please. Ladder ranks are not part of the metagame or this discussion.
But guy, at a point 1800+ so many people uses BP, that comment have really nonsense, we are trying doing something against that 90% autowins, maybe is not majority but baton pass full teams still are broken, only 1 counter, and that counter is useless against 80% of the teams

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Take it from me, a stall player and heavy Quagsire user,QUagsire isn't niche. Quagsire can counter many pokemon in this metagame that are dangerous because of their set up such as lum DDnite, SD chomp and the biggest one: DD Zard X. It is a great defensive glue to many teams, often used in stall but it can be effective in other playstyles if used correctly. Quagsire is a great pokemon and is almost mandatory on current serious stall teams such as my very own Goldfish or previously mentioned TFL 's teh fgts that nevr die.

Unaware in general is a great check/counter to end of chain BP sweepers. I do think however that the real threatening thing is that offense is getting damage instead of stall unlike every other suspect and that is what causes such an upset. So far my stall team often beats baton pass due to unexpected roar on mons like Mega Venu and use of high packed defenses, and unaware.

I think that Mega Venusaur is one of the best pokemon to combat this playstyle along with Quagsire. Mega Venusaur laughs at BPs highest regarded win condition and can unexpectidely roar out things like scolipede. I tihnk the best thing to do when seenig BP is to lead with a roar user as even if they pivot into espeon they don't really have any boosts yet, mold breaker taunt is another great way to break these chains. Here are some users of MB Taunt:
Basculin, Basculin-Blue-Striped, Druddigon, Fraxure, Gyarados-Mega, Hawlucha, Haxorus, Pangoro, Sawk(possibly, it's like C or + rank in OU but baton pass stopping and knock off give it a niche over things like megacham and terrak), Throh

In Bold are the most viable ones. I actually used tauntDD Gyarados in my older RMT Adventure melodyand it wans't only niche to beat BP, heck I barely faced BP on the alt, it was mainly to break through heavier walls from recovering, and it worked great.
just bringing back up mold breaker taunt again to check opinions.

Mega gyarados especially since it beats espeon due to dark type >stored power

Honestly this thread reached an absurd amount of pages and the fact that after all this people still CANNOT find any reliable counters, something is wrong.
Tbh, Shedinja is probably the best hard counter which is both 100% reliable at beating standard BP and that isn't also complete junk against the rest of the meta. Yes, it's still mediocre against other playstyles, but it's not unusable rubbish unlike Haze Murkrow and most of the other bad suggestions. That by no means is to say BP shouldn't be nerfed, but the fact is that reliable hard counters do exist, contrary to what some are saying. It still has Will-O-Wisp to cripple things like Bisharp who try to switch in on it, and it can hard wall things like Thundurus-I, Keldeo, and a bunch of other things provided they don't have a SE coverage move, and it can be a great pivot and momentum generator with Baton Pass. Needing hazards gone obviously restricts it a lot, but it's not the end of the world for it either. Keep in mind too that this is just looking at counters on a per pokemon basis, whereas there are also general tactics which can help overcome BP like constant offensive pressure from the likes of powerful hitters etc. Baton Pass is indeed being overrated slightly because people are acting as though it's completely invincible, but I've been watching a lot of games recently, including many of those from DenisSsS, and it's definitely beatable without having to resort to specific hard counters and there are many things which do give BP its own share of 'auto-losses' so to speak. The 'health of the metagame' is one very understandable thing, but being realistic in terms of how strong these teams are in relation to the other high-end teams is another, and we need to start being more realistic in our discussions about this.

Last edited:

Finally, nobody is forcing you to run anything on a team that you don't want to. The way the ladder is supposed to work, in my understanding, is that it can determine your skill over a period of results. Since full Baton Pass is not a majority of teams used on the ladder, over time, you can establish your skill rating regardless of a few "cheap" losses to Baton Pass. But frankly, if anyone is using an argument on how ladder ratings are unfairly being manipulated by Baton Pass users... just stop. Please. Ladder ranks are not part of the metagame or this discussion. Remember that there are hundreds of players on Showdown that are not anywhere near the top of the ladder, yet any decision or ban that is made affects them as well.
Sorry about the swearing, it's just that this is just ridiculous, I'm seeing people bring up stuff that's already been posted million of times in this same thread (or even in the first like 5 pages for God's sake).

Again with the Haze thing that has been discussed tirelessly already. The problem is that Haze is (at least in the current Meta) ONLY useful for this finality, to stop BP chains, and it's not reliable because they can just boost up again, or Sleep your Haze user. Besides, the only team archetype that effectively can use Haze is stall or maybe Balanced, and then how exactly will you wear them down?

That isn't that simple, they have switch initiative. Espeon can just BP to Sylveon or Vaporeon to deal with it's counters.

Some are actually, lol. In the first pages around 10 idek, people bring up Haze Murkrow as I way to counter them and that is just laughable. I mean, of course we can ''adapt'' to BP and then everyone starts using Haze Murkrow JUST to stop this ridiculous team, and then have to face every other team with one less mon, do we really want that? We have to take into account that even if changes made to this playstyle affects low-ladder players, it's for balance sake. Btw, why are you saying that it'll affect them in the ladder if the ladder is not important? How is (hypothetically) banning 2-3 Pokemon with Baton Pass on a team negatively affecting anyone BUT those using teams like this just to get high on the ladder anyway?

Somebody ask for a counter? This is the first thing that came to my mind, though in hindsight it's more of a check.
+2 252Atk Adamant Mega-Mawile vs. 4HP/0Def +6 Timid Espeon: 91.9% - 108.8% -- Guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock.
If you think you can't predict that baton pass and set up a swords dance, maybe you need some more practice.
Does it use your mega-evo? Yes it does. It also happens to be (arguably) the best mega evo in OU right now, running the set almost everyone already runs, and it can check it well AFTER it's fully set up. Alternatively you could do this: use specs noivern, something that is good on its own and will take care of the common lead to baton pass teams, Scolipede. With good prediction, you win.

252 Timid Noivern Specs Boomburst vs. 252 HP Scolipede -
78% - 91.9%
252 Timid Noivern Specs Flamethrower vs. 252 HP Scolipede - 100.6% - 118.5%
If they used sub and you picked boomburst, congratulations, you just basically destroyed the entire team. If they didn't and you picked flamethrower, you also win.

There's also Cloyster, who can break subs and sashes, but he's UU for some reason.

To be fair it is insane after it has set up, but the problem is setting up. I probably don't know enough as I've only fought two baton pass teams at about the 1500 mark on the ladder, but I didn't have trouble stopping the setup.

Last edited:
I don't understand how Mega Pinsir is being overlooked? It's one of the best in OU right now. It can 1hko the entire team after a sword dance. Not even Zapdos can switch in freely. YOU MUST LEAD ZAPDOS OR SMEARGLE TO WIN AGAINST MEGA PINSIR. Any smart player will lead their anti-smeargle / zapdos and easily win.

Talonflame destroys Baton Pass as well:
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 231-273 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- 71.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Lead electric type and volt-turn into talonflame. Scolipede is forced to switch to Vaporeon, who then dies in 2 hits... Zapdos can be worn down just the same, just hit it, switch to ground type to immune thunderbolt, repeat. Zapdos doesn't run roost in most BP teams.

Thundurus with Nasty Plot and Taunt? Kills Espeon even if it leads!

So we are at 3 competitively viable counters there.

Mega Gyarados? Kills Sylveon first.

4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 218-260 (65.6 - 78.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 232-274 (58.8 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 194-229 (49.2 - 58.1%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Obviously Baton Pass is insanely good if you let them get stat boosts. Stop trying to argue sylveon can kill mega gyarados with hypervoice. This is doesn't start the game at +2...

+1 to the post above me for mentioning three other solid counters. Stop saying no counters exist just because they aren't standard in the OU meta right now. They are viable and they can be built into viable teams. This isn't rock paper scissors! Just people are too unwilling to change their team a bit for something they deem as ' not viable.'

Where is the evidence (replays and calcs) where baton pass is used to get a win that the regular player should have won but lost because of something that isn't hax. Also red card fortress.

Somebody ask for a counter? This is the first thing that came to my mind, though in hindsight it's more of a check.
+2 252Atk Adamant Mega-Mawile vs. 4HP/0Def +6 Timid Espeon: 91.9% - 108.8% -- Guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock.
If you think you can't predict that baton pass and set up a swords dance, maybe you need some more practice.
Does it use your mega-evo? Yes it does. It also happens to be (arguably) the best mega evo in OU right now, running the set almost everyone already runs, and it can check it well AFTER it's fully set up. Alternatively you could do this: use specs noivern, something that is good on its own and will take care of the common lead to baton pass teams, Scolipede. With good prediction, you win.

252 Timid Noivern Specs Boomburst vs. 252 HP Scolipede -
78% - 91.9%
252 Timid Noivern Specs Flamethrower vs. 252 HP Scolipede - 100.6% - 118.5%
If they used sub and you picked boomburst, congratulations, you just basically destroyed the entire team. If they didn't and you picked flamethrower, you also win.

There's also Cloyster, who can break subs and sashes, but he's UU for some reason.
Why on earth would a) Mawile be attacking Espeon when it could simply BP to Vaporeon and b) why would Espeon have no HP or Defense investment on a BP team? This calc is entirely meaningless.

Mr. Mime is immune to Boomburst and Draco Meteor. It also takes very little from Noivern's coverage moves. Nice try.

Also, Cloyster is UU because it is utter trash in OU.

Seriously, it would be helpful if you actually brought up good or at least decent mons when you claim that there are things that beat BP. It doesn't take a genius to know that Murkrow, Shedinja, Spiritomb, and Forretress are not OU viable.

Last edited:
Tbh, Shedinja is probably the best hard counter which is both 100% reliable at beating standard BP and that isn't also complete junk against the rest of the meta. Yes, it's still mediocre against other playstyles, but it's not unusable rubbish unlike Haze Murkrow and most of the other bad suggestions. That by no means is to say BP shouldn't be nerfed, but the fact is that reliable hard counters do exist, contrary to what some are saying. It still has Will-O-Wisp to cripple things like Bisharp who try to switch in on it, and it can hard wall things like Thundurus-I, Keldeo, and a bunch of other things provided they don't have a SE coverage move, and it can be a great pivot and momentum generator with Baton Pass. Needing hazards gone obviously restricts it a lot, but it's not the end of the world for it either. Keep in mind too that this is just looking at counters on a per pokemon basis, whereas there are also general tactics which can help overcome BP like constant offensive pressure from the likes of powerful hitters etc. Baton Pass is indeed being overrated slightly because people are acting as though it's completely invincible, but I've been watching a lot of games recently, including many of those from DenisSsS, and it's definitely beatable without having to resort to specific hard counters and there are many things which do give BP its own share of 'auto-losses' so to speak. The 'health of the metagame' is one very understandable thing, but being realistic in terms of how strong these teams are in relation to the other high-end teams is another, and we need to start being more realistic in our discussions about this.
Look, this is cute and all, but are we really bringing up SHEDINJA as a counter of all things now? --'
I'm sorry but Shedinja requires a huge amount of support to work, at which point it's just NOT viable and people can't just slap it onto their teams and call it a day.
Shedinja sucks, and BP needs a nerf, there really isn't anything else to it.

I don't understand how Mega Pinsir is being overlooked? It's one of the best in OU right now. It can 1hko the entire team after a sword dance. Not even Zapdos can switch in freely. YOU MUST LEAD ZAPDOS OR SMEARGLE TO WIN AGAINST MEGA PINSIR. Any smart player will lead their anti-smeargle / zapdos and easily win.

Talonflame destroys Baton Pass as well:
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 231-273 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- 71.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Lead electric type and volt-turn into talonflame. Scolipede is forced to switch to Vaporeon, who then dies in 2 hits... Zapdos can be worn down just the same, just hit it, switch to ground type to immune thunderbolt, repeat. Zapdos doesn't run roost in most BP teams.

Thundurus with Nasty Plot and Taunt? Kills Espeon even if it leads!

So we are at 3 competitively viable counters there.

Mega Gyarados? Kills Sylveon first.

4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 218-260 (65.6 - 78.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 232-274 (58.8 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 194-229 (49.2 - 58.1%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Obviously Baton Pass is insanely good if you let them get stat boosts. Stop trying to argue sylveon can kill mega gyarados with hypervoice. This is doesn't start the game at +2...

+1 to the post above me for mentioning three other solid counters. Stop saying no counters exist just because they aren't standard in the OU meta right now. They are viable and they can be built into viable teams. This isn't rock paper scissors! Just people are too unwilling to change their team a bit for something they deem as ' not viable.'
Sylveon is not the BP leader you know that, and if sylveon should beat gyarados he can got a acid armor from vaporeon and easily kill gyarados, stop from posting anti-ban comments,Baton pass don't have enought counters , understand it , 40 pages thread with almost 10 pages with the same anti-ban coments of almost the same people, is just so ridiculous

So basically any team lacking Zapdos loses to Talonflame and Mega Pinsir. Any team lacking Mr. Mime loses to Perish Song, Noivern, and Gardevior.

Cloyster, Deoxys, Sturdy + Red Card, and Thundurus are all hard counters no matter what.

Sylveon is not the BP leader you know that, and if sylveon should beat gyarados he can got a acid armor from vaporeon and easily kill gyarados, stop from posting anti-ban comments,Baton pass don't have enought counters , understand it , 40 pages thread with almost 10 pages with the same anti-ban coments of almost the same people, is just so ridiculous
How exactly does Vaporeon pass acid armor against a Taunting Gyarados? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)