Battle Tree Discussion and Records

Naganadel has one big issue on tree... it's squishy and weak to Ground.

I've ran a few hundred matches and even got it on 90+ once: it desperately requires support to not die against certain matchups, and also actually lacks raw power. Dragon/Poison is not as amazing as it seems as stabs.

Naganadel has one big issue on tree... it's squishy and weak to Ground.

I've ran a few hundred matches and even got it on 90+ once: it desperately requires support to not die against certain matchups, and also actually lacks raw power. Dragon/Poison is not as amazing as it seems as stabs.
This may be true. I only tried a few battles with Naga so far. He is frail, but so is latios. The ground immunity is more of an issue for me, not to mention opposing psychics. I think with smart play and support though, he can hold his own in doubles.

Also, with latios I kept running into issues with fairies. Naga should have no problem nuking them.

I certainly think he has power.
Have you tried him with Draco meteor’s devastating drake? It’s crazy strong.

The set i used was Z-Dragon Pulse, Sludge Bomb, Flamethrower, Protect, it was timid EVd to get spatk boost, so actually only had 111 or so as speed tier all around. Fast, not as fast as you'd want for tree though.
Z-draco meteor as I experienced picks up a few extra notable KOs unboosted, but the spatk drop / accuracy is a notable drawback.

You can find the writeup here if you are bored:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ion-and-records.3587215/page-127#post-7627255

The set i used was Z-Dragon Pulse, Sludge Bomb, Flamethrower, Protect, it was timid EVd to get spatk boost, so actually only had 111 or so as speed tier all around. Fast, not as fast as you'd want for tree though.
Z-draco meteor as I experienced picks up a few extra notable KOs unboosted, but the spatk drop / accuracy is a notable drawback.

You can find the writeup here if you are bored:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ion-and-records.3587215/page-127#post-7627255
Thanks, I’ll take a look.

On another note, I’m wondering what speed tier I should aim for with my adamant gyarados in doubles. I already rebred him from jolly because I figured he doesn’t need the extra speed.

Ideally you should check what you can reach at +1 and +0.
I think the best speed tier to aim at would be outspeed everything at 130 base or lower at +1

Well with adamant, lvl 50 gyarados at +1 reaches 199.5 speed (that rounds up correct?) and Jolteon is at 200. So at best it’s a tie.

300 - Aerodactyl-1
258 - Manectric-4
253 - Garchomp-3
250 - Entei-3
240 - Terrakion-2
229 - Landorus (Incarnate Forme)-2
228 - Staraptor-2
228 - Typhlosion-3
226 - Rotom (Wash Rotom)-2
226 - Rotom (Fan Rotom)-4
225 - Pinsir-4
222 - Electrode-2
222 - Electrode-3
222 - Alakazam-3
222 - Electrode-4
220 - Darmanitan-4

216 - Beedrill-3
216 - Accelgor-1
216 - Accelgor-3
216 - Sceptile-4
216 - Accelgor-4
211 - Heatran-4
205 - Manectric-3
205 - Lopunny-3
205 - Lopunny-4
204 - Tsareena-4
201 - Skarmory-3
200 - Jolteon-1
200 - Crobat-1
200 - Aerodactyl-2
200 - Jolteon-2
200 - Crobat-2
200 - Jolteon-3
200 - Crobat-3
200 - Gengar-4
200 - Aerodactyl-4
200 - Jolteon-4
200 - Crobat-4

This is what you are missing to outspeed with adamant over jolly, pmuch. The big threat you are missing on are Jolteon sets, M-Lopunny, M-Manectric. and M-Beedrill if caught mega evolved before +1. I don't think you can realistically aim higher than 220 speed even with jolly

Well with adamant, lvl 50 gyarados at +1 reaches 199.5 speed (that rounds up correct?) and Jolteon is at 200. So at best it’s a tie.
Everything in Pokemon rounds down, except for the recoil from Mind Blown (so it really can only be used twice).

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Kind of a more low-key update today: turskain has introduced me to a team he created last year, trying to make Mat Block Greninja more of a thing in Tree Doubles, and bringing back some of the glory it had in Maison Doubles/Triples. This was also an attempt to get some more value out of Hitmontop, who has kind of been MIA on this thread. However, he's out of space to share QR teams on his PGL account, so the team is technically being brought to you all by Worldie. I have added it to the QR3, check it~!

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/sm/BT-86FF-4102

I’m just constantly bashing my head against a wall trying to get Shuckle on the leaderboard. I know it’s possible, I’ve gotten 10+ runs ending in the 80s. I just have to keep trying and hope I get some RNG on the trainers to make it past 90. Please no Taunt leads...

I have a question:
I finally setup ACE on my Pokemon Red and can make every Gen 1 Pokemon, so I wanted to know if I could build a really good Level 100 Team, give them the right nature and atleast get to 50 wins in Ultra Sun.
AN EXAMPLE :

Mega-Kanga(no egg moves needed, HA doesn't matter), Starmie(no egg moves), Zapdos(got one Timid with HP Ice)

Now the above team is just an example, if you had access to every HA mon from Gen 1 with perfect nature but no egg moves, what would you do?

You might want to know that you cannot transfer them at level 100 as the nature will be fixed to Hardy.

A mono gen 1 team is quite unrealistic though. Most need egg moves to be relevant or are not good with their HA.

For example, Kangaskhan wants Scrappy to be strong on tree.

3-stage evolution lines other than Butterfree, Beedrill, and Dragonite all get L100 to correspond to Timid instead of Hardy, which is at least convenient for Alakazam and Gengar (this doesn't apply to lines that only became 3 stages in later generations, like Golbat or Electabuzz).

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, we're going HAM at the Discord today coming up with ideas for these starters.

All of these ideas, sadly, revolve around Trick Room. If anyone attacks these from any other angles, please share! We're paupers creatively.

You might want to know that you cannot transfer them at level 100 as the nature will be fixed to Hardy.

A mono gen 1 team is quite unrealistic though. Most need egg moves to be relevant or are not good with their HA.

For example, Kangaskhan wants Scrappy to be strong on tree.
Why does Kanga needs Scrappy?
Anyways I trade them over at Level 99 with the correct amount of EXP to fulfill the EXP%Modulo blabla formula
And I level them up with Rare Candies

Welcome to the battle tree Wrassle Cat

I plan on running an AV set with Fake Out, Flare Blitz, Darkest Lariat, and Drain Punch. Wanted some sustain in the last set, and chose Drain Punch over Leech Life due to redundant coverage and ability to hit Normal-types and Tyranitar harder. Thought about a Z-set with protect, but I really want him to be fat.

Adamant since I don't really mind being outspeed in TR by a lot of things since he is so bulky (and I can deal with them out of Trick Room first if need be). 44 speed EVs to bring my speed to 86, which creeps the bane of my existence Glaceon at 85. Haven't decided the rest of the spread yet (or his team for that matter), but the day of Spicy Garfield is finally here.

Last edited:
Didn’t think I’d be playing the Tree again for awhile but I got bored and made a new team. This isn’t a serious team and was made purely for fun but it’s been doing surprisingly well. Currently at 63 wins.

Primarina (フィローネ Firone (Faron), M) @ Primarium-Z
Nature: Modest
Ability: Torrent
IVs: 31/0/31/31/31/17(HT)
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp. Attack, 6 Speed
Moves:
- Perish Song
- Ice Beam
- Moon Blast
- Sparkling Aria (Oceanic Operetta)

My left hand lead and the main reason I made this team. I enjoy shiny hunting when I’m not playing the Tree and I bred this shiny Primarina about a week ago (right before the HA starters were released). After taking all day to level him to Hyper Train his Speed IV (something I could have done in under an hour in ORAS (seriously screw levelling this generation)) I decided to give him a go in the Tree. Max special attack for maximum power, max HP for increased survivability and 6 speed EVs to outspeed other Primarina. Ice Beam and Moon Blast for coverage and STAB for the latter. Perish Song is very handy for dealing with annoying stally Pokemon the team struggles with like Ferrothorn, and for using against the last 2 Pokemon in case I potentially have a bad matchup that I’d lose against otherwise. A lot of my victories have been due to Perish Song KOs. Sparkling Aria for Z-Nuking stuff and hitting through subs. I could have gone for something else but I really just wanted to use Primarina’s unique Z-Move as I never did it in Moon and I just like watching the animation. Nicknamed after Faron, the water dragon from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Cacturne (ハーリー Harley, M) @ Focus Sash
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Water Absorb
IVs: 31/31/31/X/31/31
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 6 Defence
Moves:
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Spiky Shield
- Seed Bomb

My right hand lead. Cacturne is one of my favourite grass types but he does have several flaws in the Tree. While he has decent power he’s extremely slow and frail so he’s almost always guaranteed to go last and be brought down to his Sash if not KOd, and his coverage isn’t the best with his only good physical STAB moves being Sucker Punch and Seed Bomb. I originally chose him because I needed something that wouldn’t take damage from Primarina’s Sparkling Aria and, thanks to Water Absorb, he was the only Pokemon I had that could do so without having to use Protect. I wasn’t expecting him to do as well as he’s been doing but he’s been pulling his weight and getting a surprising amount of KOs. In the battle against Blue he was the only Pokemon left standing at the end. Spiky Shield for obvious reasons which I use turn 1 99% of the time, and Drain Punch (originally Low Kick) for coverage although I’ve been considering changing it to Brick Break as Screeners have been an issue. Nicknamed after Harley, my favourite character from the Pokemon anime whose signature Pokemon was Cacturne.

Lopunny (バージニア Virginia, F) @ Lopunnite
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Limber > Scrappy
IVs: 31/31/31/X/31/31
EVs: 0/252/6/0/0/252
Moves:
- Low Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

The same Lopunny set I used in my Moon 110 win team. Kind of standard Mega Lopunny set with Return and Low Kick for STAB and Ice Punch for coverage. Fake Out for obvious flinching with max attack and speed for maximum killing power. I really didn’t have any other Mega to use for this team so I picked Lopunny as she’s done well for me in the past and she’s been doing well again. Nicknamed Virginia purely because I like the name and use it for all my Lopunny. My old team Lopunny was nicknamed Pleinair however she was actually the second Lopunny I bred on Moon as my first didn’t have Low Kick. That first Lopunny was named Virginia and was on that team for 92 wins. This Lopunny is number 3.

Tapu Koko (カプ・コケコ Kapu Kokeko) @ Choice Specs
Nature: Timid
Ability: Electric Surge
IVs: 31/0/HT/HT/31/31
EVs: 0/0/0/252/6/252
Moves:
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch

Another returning face from my first team. Standard Specs-Koko. Again I don’t really have a lot of Pokemon I can use that don’t require Z-Moves or Trick Room so I picked Tapu Koko. Thunderbolt and Dazzling Gleam for STAB with Volt Switch for switching (which is very rarely used as Koko isn’t a lead this time) and Grass Knot for coverage. I might switch Specs for Life Orb as being locked into a move is what caused me to lose my original streak. No nickname as it’s the shiny event one.

Before Tapu Koko was added to the team I had Sableye in its place.

Oh Arceus, where do I start here? This team has had a lot of problems and has been plagued by bad hax. A lot. This is actually the team’s third attempt at a decent streak. The first ended pretty poorly as a result of 3 Will-O-Wisp misses in a row which resulted in the surviving Pokemon being too strong to take hits from. I can’t remember what it was but I lost at a streak of 37. After this streak I changed Cacturne’s Low Kick to Drain Punch as Low Kick wasn’t KOing a lot from him and Lopunny has it anyway.

The ending to streak 2 was more hilarious than anything else. At battle 40 I faced off against Kukui who IIRC used Magnezone, Incineroar, Primarina and either Lycanroc or Decidueye (I can’t remember which). I brought him down to 2 Pokemon and used Perish Song on them, one of which was Primarina. I had 3 Pokemon left by 2 turns left of Perish Song. Mega Lopunny finished off whatever the other Pokemon was before fainting to Primarina while my Primarina was still on the field at low HP. My last Pokemon was Sableye who wasn’t affected by Perish Song so I though the win was in the bag as I thought Kukui would definitely KO my Primarina. Alas, this was not the case and Kukui’s Primarina OHKOd my Sableye instead. Because of the 6 Speed EVs I have on my Primarina specifically for avoiding speed ties with other Primarina, mine fainted first thus resulting in the loss. I honestly wish I’d saved this one as I still find it pretty hilarious. Anyway, that was the end of that streak and Sableye was subsequently replaced by Tapu Koko.

This streak has been going a lot better. Nothing too horrible has happened so far and Tapu Koko is a lot more useful than Sableye.

During one of the first two streaks I faced off against a Serperior that used Gastro Acid on Cacturne when I used Sparkling Aria with Primarina resulting in Cacturne losing his Sash and being KOd by whatever Serperior’s partner was. This battle was early on and I won but it was pretty funny when it happened.

Lead Leafeon. This is the worst Pokemon to face against as it can OHKO Primarina with Leaf Blade and bring Cacturne down to 1 HP with X-Scissor. I have no choice but to Spiky Shield with Cacturne and hope it goes for him so Primarina can OHKO it with Ice Beam. 90% of the time however I lose Primarina. Eeveelution teams in general are a problem with Espeon being the only one that isn’t a problem in some way as Sucker Punch OHKOs it and the Sashed one only has Dream Eater which Cacturne is immune to.
- Sylveon is too bulky to OHKO even with Oceanic Operetta and Cacturne can’t hit it very hard either.
- Jolteon can hit Primarina hard with electric moves and can’t be OHKOd without Oceanic Operetta.
- Flareon can do the same to Cacturne and doesn’t get OHKOd by Sparkling Aria but can be revenge killed with Sucker Punch.
- Vaporeon is too bulky to OHKO and can threaten Cacturne with Ice Beam.
- Umbreon is less threatening but can have Swagger which is just a pain in the ass.
- Glaceon has Blizzard which has frozen me on a few occasions.
They might not seem threatening on their own but they are when there’s two of them.

Dual grass leads. Primarina is very slow and a lot of grass types outspeed him so he can’t hit them with Ice Beam. Due to lack of STAB a lot of them still survive and can revenge kill him as a result. If one is Leafeon it’s a whole lot worse.

Dual bug type leads. Primarina can’t OHKO many of these outside of Z-nuking them which leaves Cacturne at their mercy.

Rotom. All of them. Except the Oven one who gets immediately Z-Nuked.

These aren’t the only ones that cause problems but they’re the main ones. Most of the issues are because of the slow leads with the only means of outspeeding most of them being Sucker Punch which isn’t guaranteed to work.

As I mentioned at the start this isn’t a serious team, it’s just one I made for fun. I don’t expect it to be leaderboard eligible but I thought I’d post what I’ve been doing anyway because I’ve been having a lot of fun with it. And trying to get Cacturne on the leaderboard can be a goal I can work towards until the next games come out. Whenever that is.

I’m not sure if this is the area to post this but I need someone high level for the Battle Agency. I’m rank 47 and would love someone close to that.

Posting an updated streak of 69 wins in Super-Multis. I got Wally Scarfchomp/Mega Galade on my Ultra Sun version so I ran Thundurus/Mega Gyarados again. Same team as I used before. Lost to Mega Abomasnow’s Blizzard and Salazzle Fake Out front line. Not going to post a write up because it’s the exact same team I used for my other run.
Shoutout to Eisenherz for his Thundurus and Blueforce for his Gyarados
QU6W-WWWW-WWWY-VC53

I’m not sure if this is the area to post this but I need someone high level for the Battle Agency. I’m rank 47 and would love someone close to that.

Posting an updated streak of 69 wins in Super-Multis. I got Wally Scarfchomp/Mega Galade on my Ultra Sun version so I ran Thundurus/Mega Gyarados again. Same team as I used before. Lost to Mega Abomasnow’s Blizzard and Salazzle Fake Out front line. Not going to post a write up because it’s the exact same team I used for my other run.
Shoutout to Eisenherz for his Thundurus and Blueforce for his Gyarados
QU6W-WWWW-WWWY-VC53
Visit the discord intermittently and pester whoever is present for their FC, and since you're both (hopefully) online at the moment, you can arrange your plaza date and VIP right there. It's worked out well for some and it's easier than just adding someone and idling online for a designated time.

I'm climbing the Super Multi's tree (58 wins so far), but before I post my write up, how do I format my posts like the previous posts in this thread? That is, Pokemon sprites, collapsible/expandable headers, etc. Sorry for the silly questions - been lurking for a while, but just joined the forums today.

I'm climbing the Super Multi's tree (58 wins so far), but before I post my write up, how do I format my posts like the previous posts in this thread? That is, Pokemon sprites, collapsible/expandable headers, etc. Sorry for the silly questions - been lurking for a while, but just joined the forums today.
Hey, nice that you are joining us after lurking around the Battle Facilities!
You can see the seperate / all commands regarding posting right here:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/help/bb-codes/
Good luck with the write-up and with Tree-climbing ;)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)