Battle Tree Discussion and Records

Thought I'd ask here seeing as my questions is Battle Tree related but please let me know if I should post elsewhere.

Realised today that the next but one Global Mission is getting BP at the Battle Tree so thought I'd ask for some recommendations for a team(s) to use that is total Battle Tree noob friendly to pick up and understand how to play it to best effect so I can get some practice in advance of the mission starting. I tend to like VGC/doubles format on the rare times I do battle but I'm open to suggestions for singles as well. Don't have many Legendaries/Ultra Beasts in my boxes so QR code team suggestions would be great but I'm open to breeding teams as well.

I know about the QR code links earlier in this thread but I have no idea where to start choosing one given my overall lack of knowledge. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thought I'd ask here seeing as my questions is Battle Tree related but please let me know if I should post elsewhere.

Realised today that the next but one Global Mission is getting BP at the Battle Tree so thought I'd ask for some recommendations for a team(s) to use that is total Battle Tree noob friendly to pick up and understand how to play it to best effect so I can get some practice in advance of the mission starting. I tend to like VGC/doubles format on the rare times I do battle but I'm open to suggestions for singles as well. Don't have many Legendaries/Ultra Beasts in my boxes so QR code team suggestions would be great but I'm open to breeding teams as well.

I know about the QR code links earlier in this thread but I have no idea where to start choosing one given my overall lack of knowledge. Thanks in advance for any help.
The USUM QR team compilation unfortunately has far fewer teams than the Sun and Moon one, I would suggest the Pheromosa/Tapu Lele/Salamence/Aegislash team posted by Level 51 as it's probably the easiest team to use if you don't have much knowledge of the Tree. Good Luck!

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I was going to wait until this streak finished before posting this team, but so far, it's looking like that may take a while. So, with that said, I'm using this in Super Doubles right now:

->
slowbro-mega.png
(F) @
, Sassy, Oblivious -> Shell Armor ** Slowsis

EVs: 252|0|0|4|252|0 / IVs: 31|0|30|31|31|0
Scald | Psychic | Slack Off | Trick Room

(M) @
, Mild, Sturdy ** Pikaseven

Lv.1 Stats: 12|7|5|6|6|6
Endeavor | Fake Out | Toxic | Spiky Shield

(M) @
, Quiet, Pixilate ** Just Fab
EVs: 252|0|4|252|0|0 / IVs: HT|0|31|HT|HT|0
Hyper Voice | Psyshock | Hidden Power Fire | Swift

(F) @
, Brave, Intimidate ** Butch

EVs: 252|252|0|0|4|0 / IVs: 31|31|31|xx|31|0
Fake Out | Flare Blitz | Darkest Lariat | Low Kick

So yeah, I finally got up off my lazy butt and bred the Aron Replacement™. Let me just say I don't regret it. Using Dusclops, I could get away with using Aron because Dusclops really has no issues setting Trick Room thanks to its insane bulk. However, I have one issue with using Dusclops: It doesn't deal any damage to anything ever. I got the idea to use Mega Slowbro as the Trick Room setter instead after someone brought it up on the Battle Tree Discord (I don't remember who it was, but whoever it was, thanks for planting that idea). With its 130 base Special Attack, Mega Slowbro can at least deal something resembling damage; plus, with its 180 base Defense, its uninvested Defense stat without a +Def nature is equivalent to Timid Tapu Koko's fully invested Speed stat. Needless to say, it has no issues taking physical hits. Plus, it has a Trick/Switcheroo immunity (no getting Choice Scarf tricked onto it), Taunt immunity (before Mega Evolution), and critical hit immunity (after Mega Evolution). Also, another minor thing that I like is that Scald allows Slowbrosis to thaw itself if it gets frozen; I haven't had to take advantage of this yet, but it's still nice to have that option. Also, since Intimidate Incineroar got released, of course I had to use it instead of Scrafty, especially due to improving the Steel matchup, giving the team an effective Grass resist (I shouldn't need to say why Togedemaru doesn't count), and a stronger Z-Move. (RIP Scrafty though, will be missed)

Of course, Slowbro still has one major problem: Even with maximum investment and a Sassy nature, 95/80 Special bulk is nothing to write home about. I have never seen a super effective STAB special attack get anything less than a 2HKO, and several super effective STAB special moves can even OHKO (Leaf Storm from Serperior4 is a textbook example). This is what makes Togedemaru such an effective replacement; this team would not be able to go old-school with Aron. If you see Serperior, Togedemaru can just use Fake Out to prevent the OHKO on Mega Slowbro, allowing it to get Trick Room set up safely. Togedemaru will drop earlier, but it's much better than losing Slowbro before it can set up Trick Room.

Here's a replay that demonstrates how Togedemaru helps this team against special attacking leads: FHFW-WWWW-WWWJ-PEEC

It's not quite the same scenario as a lead Serperior4, but it's similar; seeing the opponent leading with Thundurus and Zapdos, I know Slowbro can take a hit from Zapdos, but not Zapdos and Thundurus simultaneously. With that said, I was able to Fake Out the Thundurus (which I picked because I wasn't sure if this trainer could have the Electrium Z one or not) and ensure that Trick Room got up safely.

Another problematic matchup is Sina (which is to be expected, given how Hail-centric her team is). Kiawe can be similarly annoying given all the priority. For this reason, I use this team on Ultra Moon instead of Ultra Sun; the matchups against Dexio and Mallow are comparatively easy. When I was using this team on Ultra Sun, I false started against Sina at 59 wins, but have never struggled against Dexio (whom I have faced twice so far).

I am quite entertained that Adamant Zoroark actually had same idea of mine of using lvl 1 bait + setter/abuser at same time.

I'm also entertained you did settle for the same one (aka M-slowbro).

I had come to the conclusion that the only viable options would have been M-Slowbro, (air baloon) Stakataka, and A-Exeggutor.

At some point that'll be tried, now I want to see how far I go with wannabepherolele first....

Also, everyone hates Sina, so no worries.

I recently bore witness to a Doubles battle that contradicted what was widely regarded as consistent AI behaviour - if both Pokemon are capable of Mega Evolution, this should occur on the first left-hand side slot (my right).

My side: Focus Sash Pheromosa in Slot 1, Psychium Z Tapu Lele in Slot 2 (it's true, I've been using PheroLele!)
AI's side: Manectric34 in Slot 1, Scizor34 in Slot 2

Original battle: RHCW-WWWW-WWWJ-QV76

Contrary to what I was expecting, it was Scizor that Mega Evolved in the second slot. At the time I wasn't sure which set Manectric was, given that both sets utilize Overheat and Pheromosa Protected. Cue conducting 10 mock battles for science, except this time attacking with Pheromosa to determine the Manectric set.

#1: M-Scizor, Scarf Overheat
#2: M-Scizor, Scarf Overheat
#3: M-Scizor, Scarf Thunder into Lele
#4: M-Scizor, Scarf Overheat
#5: M-Scizor, Scarf Overheat
#6: M-Scizor, Scarf Overheat
#7: M-Scizor, Scarf Overheat
#8: M-Scizor, Scarf Overheat
#9: M-Scizor, Scarf Overheat
#10: M-Scizor, Scarf Overheat

I'm unsure where this "contraddicts" though.
It's scarf Manectric, how can it megaevolve?

The "always megas right" is something that happens if both mons are holding a megastone, which in this case is not true.

If that was Mega-Manectric and not scarf version, it'd have megad Manectric.

Last edited:
I might've misunderstood part of it, so mock battling wasn't necessary, but Manectric and Scizor both have Mega sets; was I wrong to expect Manectric in the first slot to receive the Mega Evolution, and not be the Scarfed set?

I think the assumption goes this way: RNG choses a Manectric and a Scizor set. If both sets carry a mega stone, the set in the first slot mega evolves.
So if the Manectric you faced would have carried a mega stone, it would have mega evolved since it is slot 1, and prevented Scizor from doing so. But it wasnt, and so Scizor could go mega.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I was going to wait until this streak finished before posting this team, but so far, it's looking like that may take a while. So, with that said, I'm using this in Super Doubles right now:

->View attachment 106636(F) @
, Sassy, Oblivious -> Shell Armor ** Slowsis
EVs: 252|0|0|4|252|0 / IVs: 31|0|30|31|31|0
Scald | Psychic | Slack Off | Trick Room

(M) @
, Mild, Sturdy ** Pikaseven
Lv.1 Stats: 12|7|5|6|6|6
Endeavor | Fake Out | Toxic | Spiky Shield

(M) @
, Quiet, Pixilate ** Just Fab
EVs: 252|0|4|252|0|0 / IVs: HT|0|31|HT|HT|0
Hyper Voice | Psyshock | Hidden Power Fire | Swift

(F) @
, Brave, Intimidate ** Butch
EVs: 252|252|0|0|4|0 / IVs: 31|31|31|xx|31|0
Fake Out | Flare Blitz | Darkest Lariat | Low Kick

So yeah, I finally got up off my lazy butt and bred the Aron Replacement™. Let me just say I don't regret it. Using Dusclops, I could get away with using Aron because Dusclops really has no issues setting Trick Room thanks to its insane bulk. However, I have one issue with using Dusclops: It doesn't deal any damage to anything ever. I got the idea to use Mega Slowbro as the Trick Room setter instead after someone brought it up on the Battle Tree Discord (I don't remember who it was, but whoever it was, thanks for planting that idea). With its 130 base Special Attack, Mega Slowbro can at least deal something resembling damage; plus, with its 180 base Defense, its uninvested Defense stat without a +Def nature is equivalent to Timid Tapu Koko's fully invested Speed stat. Needless to say, it has no issues taking physical hits. Plus, it has a Trick/Switcheroo immunity (no getting Choice Scarf tricked onto it), Taunt immunity (before Mega Evolution), and critical hit immunity (after Mega Evolution). Also, another minor thing that I like is that Scald allows Slowbrosis to thaw itself if it gets frozen; I haven't had to take advantage of this yet, but it's still nice to have that option. Also, since Intimidate Incineroar got released, of course I had to use it instead of Scrafty, especially due to improving the Steel matchup, giving the team an effective Grass resist (I shouldn't need to say why Togedemaru doesn't count), and a stronger Z-Move. (RIP Scrafty though, will be missed)

Of course, Slowbro still has one major problem: Even with maximum investment and a Sassy nature, 95/80 Special bulk is nothing to write home about. I have never seen a super effective STAB special attack get anything less than a 2HKO, and several super effective STAB special moves can even OHKO (Leaf Storm from Serperior4 is a textbook example). This is what makes Togedemaru such an effective replacement; this team would not be able to go old-school with Aron. If you see Serperior, Togedemaru can just use Fake Out to prevent the OHKO on Mega Slowbro, allowing it to get Trick Room set up safely. Togedemaru will drop earlier, but it's much better than losing Slowbro before it can set up Trick Room.

Here's a replay that demonstrates how Togedemaru helps this team against special attacking leads: FHFW-WWWW-WWWJ-PEEC

It's not quite the same scenario as a lead Serperior4, but it's similar; seeing the opponent leading with Thundurus and Zapdos, I know Slowbro can take a hit from Zapdos, but not Zapdos and Thundurus simultaneously. With that said, I was able to Fake Out the Thundurus (which I picked because I wasn't sure if this trainer could have the Electrium Z one or not) and ensure that Trick Room got up safely.

Another problematic matchup is Sina (which is to be expected, given how Hail-centric her team is). Kiawe can be similarly annoying given all the priority. For this reason, I use this team on Ultra Moon instead of Ultra Sun; the matchups against Dexio and Mallow are comparatively easy. When I was using this team on Ultra Sun, I false started against Sina at 59 wins, but have never struggled against Dexio (whom I have faced twice so far).
Lost, oops: HCHW-WWWW-WWWJ-SMZ8 (215 wins)

Also, I made a QR rental for this team: https://3ds-sp.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/usum/BT-402B-A979

Anyway, I didn’t play this well, but I’m probably going to invest in a Sylveon replacement soon (preferably a spread attacker that doesn’t need to carry a Choice item). But first, I have a third VGC Landorus to train up.

Also, while I’m here, I’m still listed twice on the Doubles leaderboard, both as Silver Alli and Adamant Zoroark. The old entry is from before I had my username changed back to this one.

Adamant Zoroark Are you just talking of HA primarina there? ;)

If you're looking for spread offense in TR scenario, the main ones you can look for are
- HA Primarina (Hyper voice, potential to use Dazzling gleam as secondary spread stab but it's very weak even with life orb)
- Water Spout Jellicent (and M-Blastoise)
- Eruptran (gen 4 event, we have a couple of those available if you desire)
- Torkoal (also Eruption, comes with its own Drought)
- M-Camerupt (also Eruption)
- M-Abomasnow (Blizzard, can run HP Ground to have near perfect coverage with stabs)
- Most strong EQ and Rock Slide users (bearing in mind Rock Slide accuracy), notably Stakataka and Rhyperior provide massively strong Rock Slides

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Last edited:
I encountered some interesting AI behavior when playing multis yesterday (still aiming for that stamp...).
My AI partner was a Mega Salamence, who used double-edge on one of the opponent’s pokemon, whose identity I can’t remember.

It survived the hit with maybe 20% left.

Well, the very next turn, the AI switched that weakened Pokémon out for a Sableye.

I’m pretty sure it did this because sableye is a ghost type and double-edge is normal-typed.
However, thanks to aerilate, mega salamence’s double edge is flying typed, and sableye was hit on the switch for neutral damage.

So, what gives? The game doesn’t take into account abilities like aerilate or pixelate when they decide to switch? That seems like a pretty glaring flaw.
Or it could be a coincidence, and the AI switched out for no reason. I doubt it though.

I encountered some interesting AI behavior when playing multis yesterday (still aiming for that stamp...).
My AI partner was a Mega Salamence, who used double-edge on one of the opponent’s pokemon, whose identity I can’t remember.

It survived the hit with maybe 20% left.

Well, the very next turn, the AI switched that weakened Pokémon out for a Sableye.

I’m pretty sure it did this because sableye is a ghost type and double-edge is normal-typed.
However, thanks to aerilate, mega salamence’s double edge is flying typed, and sableye was hit on the switch for neutral damage.

So, what gives? The game doesn’t take into account abilities like aerilate or pixelate when they decide to switch? That seems like a pretty glaring flaw.
Or it could be a coincidence, and the AI switched out for no reason. I doubt it though.
Maybe since when Double Edge is selected it still is Normal-type the AI remembered that instead of checking again in the second turn?

Nope, the AI always mega evolves right away. So the double-edge was flying-typed to start with.
What I meant is that D-Edge is selected as a normal-type, and although later on in the same turn Aerilate takes effec and changes the typing the AI has already checked and remembered the normal-type

That might be a problem given that...
Fair point, but it's kinda needed.

My best guess, assuming only Salamence attacked the slot that swapped out, is that it was a Fairy type on Turn 1, since the AI doesn't seem to know about abilities that change the type of attacks when it comes up when they Mega. Or the allied Pokemon hit that slot with something Sableye resists.

I think the question should be, what was the Pokemon you attacked first, was it turn 1, and what did your Pokemon do the turn before the switch?
Unfortunately I don’t recall the opponent’s first pokemon, and I didn’t save the video. I do remember though that I attacked the other opposing mon with my kartana. So the AI and I chose different targets.

That probably won’t help us solve this though. Oh well, I’ll make sure to save a video if something like it happens again.

I don't think it's so much checking "again" but that the AI just doesn't see Normal moves as anything other than Normal even when on the receiving end of altered attacks. I have a few Weather Ball users and should check to see if it baits switches into rock/steel/ghost types even though the attack is changed to water. There's not many ways to interpret the switch to Sableye with what we've been given.

Adding to that, while I'm reasonably confident the AI acknowledges Aerilate when picking Double Edge, it definitely doesn't on its evolution turn, because it never selects it as its first move. I've fought tons of Mega Mence and eventually learned that anticipating DE right off the bat is a waste of time. It'll always Crunch or Dragon Rush off the bat and, if Araquanid is still around afterward, will go for the DE.

What I meant is that D-Edge is selected as a normal-type, and although later on in the same turn Aerilate takes effec and changes the typing the AI has already checked and remembered the normal-type
Correct, this is what happens. The AI does not take stat/typing/ability changes into account the turn it Mega Evolves. The most practical application is that you're not going to see an -ate boosted move or new STAB (e.g. Dragon Pulse from Ampharos) turn 1, but I've seen stuff like Kangaskhan Mega Evolving and using Fake Out on Mimikyu.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)