Pokémon Bisharp

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATED: New breakdown courtesy of Upstart

Name
: Bisharp
Type: Dark / Steel
Ability: Defiant / Inner Focus / Pressure (DW)
Base Stats: 65 / 125 / 100 / 60 / 70 / 70

Notable Move Pool:
Iron Head
Swords Dance
Substitute
Low Kick
Knock Off
Night Slash
Thunder Wave
Power Up Punch
Stealth Rocks
Sucker Punch

Notable Movesets:

It's Morph'n Time
Ability:
Defiant
Nature: Adamant
Evs: 200 Hp / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Item: Life Orb / Leftovers
Moveset:
Swords Dance / Power Up Punch
Sucker Punch
Iron Head
Knock Off

With the introduction of the new type chart Bisharp is truly blessed endowed with 11 resistances and only 3 weaknesses. If that was not enough the new knock off mechanics allow him to neuter opposing pokemon while hitting with a STAB base 98 power move. Additionally he can now use his dark type attacks to punish steel types that had previously given him trouble. He maintains the same sets as he did last generation but has become inherently better. The boost set seeks to do what Bisharp does best punish pokemon if they attack with Sucker Punch or maim them with knock off if they try to prolong their demise. Power Up punch could be used for coverage although Sword Dance is probably better to get more power while Steel and Dark provide pretty neutral coverage. Knock Off is superior to Night Slash in almost every single case.

Feel free to copy and paste into the OP!

Choice Band variant
It might have a strong use as no one wants to switch into a STAB Choice Banded 97.5 BP move that ALSO removes that item. Pursuit would be excellent on that for gengars that lack focus blast. Now that steel no longer resists dark. It's also perfect against sticky web, as a +2 STAB Choice Banded 97.5 BP move that ALSO removes that item is even scarier coming off from 125 base attack.

I think this could see use:

Bisharp @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Iron Head

Worth note: Choice Banded knock off is a guaranteed OHKO on Defense Stance Aegislash

252+ Atk Choice Band Bisharp (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def (custom): 356-420 (109.87 - 129.62%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Outspeeds all 252 Speed Adamant Aegislash. Gyarados resists fire, fighting and is immune to ground if you need to switch Bisharp out.
To give you a sense of how strong a CB Knock Off Bisharp is in sticky web:

+2 252+ Atk Choice Band Bisharp (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 233-275 (57.67 - 68.06%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That is a resisted move.
-no longer needs a fighting move to deal with steel types
-kills fairies
-Checks and can potentially always counter Aegislash. (my Bisharp has never lost to one)
-Can setup on Choice Talonfame locked into Brave Bird
-Steel/Dark is a great typing this gen.

I've been running Lum Berry Adamant Bisharp with around 172 HP investment, the rest speed
-Sucker Punch
-Iron Head
-Night Slash
-Swords Dance

I been having great success with it. After a SD there arent many Pokemon who can counter Bisharp at that point.

Last edited:

scene

Banned deucer.
Bisharp's incredible in Gen 5 too (I've mostly used it in LU (PO's RU) but it's superb in UU too), merely requires some clever play to cleanly sweep teams. Night Slash+Sucker Punch is a great combo when you know what you're doing to outsmart the opponent. I'll definitely be trying it out in Gen 6, good post.

Your welcome, been trying to keep this as a mini secret but cant help it. Been having too much fun with it. Especially with everyone running Aegislash who is always defeated by Bisharp.
What's your strategy if you see Aegislash? How do you predict King's Shield?

Bisharp's incredible in Gen 5 too, merely requires some clever play to cleanly sweep teams. I'll definitely be trying it out in Gen 6, good post.
Already have some great sweeps. The main difference between gen 5 and gen 6 bisharp is it doesnt need to carry a fighting move anymore.

Thats a huge HUGE bonus for Bisharp, i didnt even realize it til i was playing with it. This set works much better in practice.

And to make it even better i never even battled a sticky web player, which Bisharp makes pay with Defiant thanks to Sora

Oh. Duhh.

Wowzer. That sounds pretty much like a straight counter.
I thought Sacred Sword would be a problem, but it really hasnt. Most Aegislash are bulky and not speedy so Bisharp always outspeeds it, and despite its bulk everyone has fallen to a Night Slash. So far I lost count how many Aegislash Bisharp has slain thus far.

Bisharp's incredible in Gen 5 too (I've mostly used it in LU (PO's RU) but it's superb in UU too), merely requires some clever play to cleanly sweep teams. Night Slash+Sucker Punch is a great combo when you know what you're doing to outsmart the opponent. I'll definitely be trying it out in Gen 6, good post.
I never really found him amazing in uu. I usually just lol'd at him because I feel he sucks up too much momentum. Hopefully this gen he can shine a lot more though.

Also idk if they fixed it yet on showdown but, I can confirm ingame that king's sheild does not lower attack when you sucker punch.

Bisharp was always good, he just needed to wait for the metagame to evolve around him. I guarantee he's got a spot on standard teams that have trouble with sticky web, he can just switch in and turn that weakness into a sweeping opportunity. Neutral damage from faeries is a hell of a boasting point as a dark type as well.

My OCD kind of wants this thread to be made into just a 'Pokemon - Bisharp' thread.
Might that be a possibility?

But yeah, that admittedly-petty/unimportant whine aside, Bisharp sounds pretty cool this generation. It's also nice that they pretty much giftwrap one for you to beat Gym 8 with in-game. ~__~ ...but... in-game... I digress.

Not that he really needs them, but does Bisharp get any noteworthy new toys this gen?

My OCD kind of wants this thread to be made into just a 'Pokemon - Bisharp' thread.
Might that be a possibility?

But yeah, that admittedly-petty/unimportant whine aside, Bisharp sounds pretty cool this generation. It's also nice that they pretty much giftwrap one for you to beat Gym 8 with in-game. ~__~ ...but... in-game... I digress.
Is there any way i can make this a "Pokemon - Bisharp" thread, i cant edit the thread title.

he doesnt have any new toys, just improved ones.

The biggest thing that helps Bisharp is the nerf of fighting types and Dark hitting through steel. Those are massive boons to him. In gen 5 because he needed a fighting move to not be wall'd by steel types he had massive 4 slot move syndrome. That is no longer the case

i wonder how Empoleon will fare this gen. It also has the Defiant ability and has aqua jet.

I know they probably wont be able to counter Aegislash but Gothitelle and Wigglytuff has a similar ability in Competitive. You think they will be used more too?

Is there any way i can make this a "Pokemon - Bisharp" thread, i cant edit the thread title.
It's separate from the post-editor; at the top of the page there should be a dropdown menu for 'Thread Tools' where you can edit the title.

Oh btw guys a +2 Bisharp OHKO's Azumarill with Iron Head after stealth rock damage.

I dont know how important this info is but people always try to switch Azumarill in against Bisharp after a SD like its a counter. Aqua Jet from Azumarill doesnt even get close to OHKO'ing bisharp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)