Pokémon Bisharp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that is a good idea, Bisharp suffers highly from 4MSS, so I don't know what you could switch out for SR, maybe Swords dance if you have a baton passer on your team? Honestly I don't know.

It's totally viable to switch out SD for SR. You'll lose out on a lot of power, but if you have a "safe" turn you can surprise people with the Stealth Rocks.

Honestly Bisharp has better things to do than setting rocks, I woudn't say it has 4mss, but it does have 3 moves that are absolutely set in stone, those moves being Knock Off, Iron Head and Sucker Punch, the last slot is usually Swords Dance, which, while important, can be replaced with Pursuit and if you really have to, Stealth Rock, I'd strongly encourage you to find a different pokemon to slot your rocks on though as Bisharp would much rather be dancing or attacking.

Bisharp does have a niche of being able to defog "block" his own rocks with defiant. However, he's got better things to do than set up rocks. Garchomp, terrakion, and mammoswine are better offensive rock setters. Bisharp can't really fit it into a set and expect to fulfill that role better than them.

dont hate or anything but bisharp has a microscopic case of 4-move syndrome. my/the set is:

Bisharp@air baloon
defiant adamant
-knock off
-iron head
-sucker punch/pursuit/low kick/swords dance
- sucker punch/pursuit/low kick/swords dance

air baloon is for (duh) ground-type immunity so you can switch into excadrill or lando-t or ttar or whatever for the predicted EQ and set up or kill cause they can't really do much with their coverage moves. low kick is so you can kill heatran after stealth rock and other stuff, which can really come in handy more than you think but i dont actually run it normally. i run swords dance and sucker punch with a conk for opposing bisharps and heatrans and others.

dont hate or anything but bisharp has a microscopic case of 4-move syndrome. my/the set is:

Bisharp@air baloon
defiant adamant
-knock off
-iron head
-sucker punch/pursuit/low kick/swords dance
- sucker punch/pursuit/low kick/swords dance

air baloon is for (duh) ground-type immunity so you can switch into excadrill or lando-t or ttar or whatever for the predicted EQ and set up or kill cause they can't really do much with their coverage moves. low kick is so you can kill heatran after stealth rock and other stuff, which can really come in handy more than you think but i dont actually run it normally. i run swords dance and sucker punch with a conk for opposing bisharps and heatrans and others.
That's definitely your set rather than 'the' set, Sucker Punch is 100% mandatory, Bisharp is too slow to forego what is the best priority in the tier other than Talonflame's Brave Bird.

Low Kick is an option, but not nearly as necessary as last gen as Dark/Steel gets pretty good coverage this gen.

Air Balloon is hardly needed as Bisharp has plenty of switch in opportunities due to its good physical defense and solid typing, in fact a damage boosting item like Life Orb or Dread Plate is much preferred, even more so when opting not to run Swords Dance.

I decided to forgo Swords Dance in favor of Pursuit and its been incredible. Saved me from a CB Talonflame that was locked onto Brave Bird. Thanks to Defiant, Bisharp has plenty of chances to pump up his attack anyways so I'd recommend Pursuit over SD if you're on the fence about it.

Currently running:
Bisharp@Life Orb
Defiant Jolly
-Sucker Punch
-Knock Off
-Pursuit
-Iron Head

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-ou-98159311
I played like crap but thanks to running max-speed Jolly I beat out an Adamant Dnite and the Ironhead flinch won me the game. (Karma hax for the hax that KO'd my Mandibuzz.) He loses out on some power but with Life Orb and SR support he still hits pretty damn hard. The mind games he creates are hilariously fun to watch play out. He's been my favorite OU poke so far this gen.

slens run blackglasses not life orb. sun glasses give the same boost that life orb does to 3/4 of your set just without the recoil. and the idea of bisharp wearing sun glasses is really cool.

slens run blackglasses not life orb. sun glasses give the same boost that life orb does to 3/4 of your set just without the recoil. and the idea of bisharp wearing sun glasses is really cool.
You make a good point. They do look cool but I actually need the Life Orb boost for Iron Head to pick up guaranteed KO's and 2HKO's on some pokemon.

As for the set in the OP, what does 52 Speed Evs Outspeed inparticular? I usually run 84 Speed to outrun base 80s with no investment, most notably Goodra, Mandibuzz, and Togekiss. In testing this doesn't affect the bulk as much, as 172 HP evs gets the job done.

So what do you guys think?
84 Speed > 52 Speed?

Edit:
Black Glasses give a 20% Boost, while life orb gives a 30% Boost. It is still a viable option though.

oh whoops my mistake. i guess life orb is the better option then cause it helps bisharp 3hko mandi after SR with iron head and 2hko at +2 after SR.

What about Low Sweep for a move on a set? It's not exactly the fighting coverage that makes it a decent option. It's that it always lowers the speed of the target. Especially on switch ins, I think the lowered speed will help ease prediction by not having to use sucker punch to go first. At the same time, Iron Head's flinch chance may actually get a chance to shine. A moveset with Low Sweep could go like this:

- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Low Sweep

Any thoughts?

There are a few common checks to bisharp that I've seen. Life orb lucario being one. Especially if he has an SD set up. Yes, bisharp resists extreme speed, but Mach punch hurts. Banded infernape also hits with a quicker priority Mach Punch.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Holy bajesus, Bisharp's usage has literally increased fourfold (sub-OU to 10%) since Pokebank came out. I think many battlers, especially the experienced ones are now understanding the sheer power of this pokemon, especially through its stab Knock Off, Defiant, and its good offensive synergy, especially with Deoxys-S and Co. I wouldn't be surprised if Bisharp ends up cracking top 10 in any particular month because of all the extra benefits it got this generation.

I'm currently using a VolTurn team with Pursuit Bisharp and it messes with the opponent so much that they forget it has Sucker Punch. He forces so many switches and second-guesses and cripples pokes with Knock Off. Bisharp's amazing.

I never thought Bisharp would be that strong, I fucking love using it. But it doesn't last long with a Life Orb.

BlackGlasses/Dread Plate is a fine alternative to Life Orb, as Bisharp is generally spamming dark type attacks, whether it be Sucker Punch, Knock Off or Pursuit.
I guess you're right, I noticed that I rarely use Iron Head and mostly stick to Sucker Punches and Knock Offs.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Holy bajesus, Bisharp's usage has literally increased fourfold (sub-OU to 10%) since Pokebank came out. I think many battlers, especially the experienced ones are now understanding the sheer power of this pokemon, especially through its stab Knock Off, Defiant, and its good offensive synergy, especially with Deoxys-S and Co. I wouldn't be surprised if Bisharp ends up cracking top 10 in any particular month because of all the extra benefits it got this generation.
The stats don't reflect PokeBank being released because they are for simulator only -- Smogon's official OU (on the sim) included bank Pokemon. The increase is more likely due to people "discovering" that it can do great things like counter Aegislash lacking Sacred Sword. King's Shield is the ultimate crutch move for new players and even more experienced players can't put it to good use against Bisharp who laughs at the Attack drop thanks to Defiant nullifying it. Anyway, it's nice to see a cool Poke like Bisharp (and Mandibuzz) getting such fantastic usage this generation. It just goes to show that a Pokemon's usage revolves around the state of a metagame, and XY brought enough mechanic changes and new Pokemon to make these two previous genners quite useful.

The stats don't reflect PokeBank being released because they are for simulator only -- Smogon's official OU (on the sim) included bank Pokemon. The increase is more likely due to people "discovering" that it can do great things like counter Aegislash lacking Sacred Sword. King's Shield is the ultimate crutch move for new players and even more experienced players can't put it to good use against Bisharp who laughs at the Attack drop thanks to Defiant nullifying it. Anyway, it's nice to see a cool Poke like Bisharp (and Mandibuzz) getting such fantastic usage this generation. It just goes to show that a Pokemon's usage revolves around the state of a metagame, and XY brought enough mechanic changes and new Pokemon to make these two previous genners quite useful.
I think it also largely has to do with the influx of Defog users that were available from the 4 generation HM. More Defog users = more opportunities for a defiant boost = more bisharp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)