Pokémon Bisharp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it also largely has to do with the influx of Defog users that were available from the 4 generation HM. More Defog users = more opportunities for a defiant boost = more bisharp
And Sticky Web too. Bisharp doesn't mind Sticky Web.

I'm almost sorry for the necro here...

But I want to use a Bisharp and I don't have access to Knock Off. So, I was considering the following set:

Bisharp @ Dread/Iron Plate
Ability: Defiant
Nature: Adamant/Jolly

-Iron Head
-Night Slash
-Sucker Punch
-Swords Dance

Would this be a suitable set with the lack of Gen V access for me?

But I want to use a Bisharp and I don't have access to Knock Off. So, I was considering the following set:

-Iron Head
-Night Slash
-Sucker Punch
-Swords Dance

I, too, don't have that kind of access. My current in-game Bisharp looks like this:

Bisharp @ BlackGlasses
Defiant
172 HP, 252 Atk, 84 Speed
Adamant
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Low Sweep / Swords Dance

On that fourth slot, I alternate between the two, both moves having their merits.
The 84 speed EVs are for creeping untouched base 80s, who could include Goodra, Togekiss, and Mandibuzz.
So, for your case, just replace Night Slash with Pursuit. You may feel regret when you want to nail bulky waters who try to get around Sucker Punch, but Pursuit brings the utility of pseudo-trapping the Dark-weak threats. It's a tradeoff on which I have grown. Pursuit isn't for everybody's style, but try it?

What about its checks and counters? Is there anything that can check Bisharp while also being able to handle Deoxys-D?

By typing alone, I could name Houndoom after it has evolved, resisting the combination of dark and steel while carrying dual SE stab for both. A superpower from Deoxys might hurt Houndoom, though. But this is after it has evolved, which is not likely early-game unless you lead with it.
I'll think more about it later.

What about its checks and counters? Is there anything that can check Bisharp while also being able to handle Deoxys-D?
Mega Heracross's Pin Missile can OHKO Deo-D even at 252/252+ and doesn't get effected by Red Card. And if the Mega Hera is running Adamant 40HP/252Att/212Spe it speed creeps Bisharp and OHKOs with Close Combat.

Mega Heracross's Pin Missile can OHKO Deo-D even at 252/252+ and doesn't get effected by Red Card. And if the Mega Hera is running Adamant 40HP/252Att/212Spe it speed creeps Bisharp and OHKOs with Close Combat.
Because it's not a contact move? Red Card affects all moves, not just contact moves.

I, too, don't have that kind of access. My current in-game Bisharp looks like this:

Bisharp @ BlackGlasses
Defiant
172 HP, 252 Atk, 84 Speed
Adamant
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Low Sweep / Swords Dance

On that fourth slot, I alternate between the two, both moves having their merits.
The 84 speed EVs are for creeping untouched base 80s, who could include Goodra, Togekiss, and Mandibuzz.
So, for your case, just replace Night Slash with Pursuit. You may feel regret when you want to nail bulky waters who try to get around Sucker Punch, but Pursuit brings the utility of pseudo-trapping the Dark-weak threats. It's a tradeoff on which I have grown. Pursuit isn't for everybody's style, but try it?
I'm not a fan of Pursuit for two reasons: I typically run Hyper Offense teams (with one or two stall walls) and I can't predict worth a damn. However, I am sorta fond of that EV spread. Can Bisharp tank hits better with that spread versus a 4 hp/252 Atk/252 Spe spread?

On a side note, I knew I was forgetting something in my set. I meant to have 4 hp/252 Atk/252 Spe. Lol

-Iron Head
-Night Slash
-Sucker Punch
-Swords Dance

Before I got Knock Off I used

Bisharp @ Blackglasses/Leftovers
Defiant
Adamant
132 HP/252 Atk/124 Speed
~Substitute
~Swords Dance
~Sucker Punch
~Iron Head

I don't remember off the top of my head what the Speed was for, but it's a scary-effective set.

Before I got Knock Off I used

Bisharp @ Blackglasses/Leftovers
Defiant
Adamant
132 HP/252 Atk/124 Speed
~Substitute
~Swords Dance
~Sucker Punch
~Iron Head

I don't remember off the top of my head what the Speed was for, but it's a scary-effective set.
I run the exact same set but with 248 HP, which gives it an odd HP number for an extra sub if I needed it, this set puts a lot of pressure on the opponent, it's actually quite bulky on the physical side with max HP.

the set ive been using lately is

@assault vest
adamant, 252 hp, 252atk, 4 sdef
knock off
sucker punch
pursuit
iron head

bisharp doesn't need SD because he has so many chances to get the +2 from defog or getting the sdef drop from aegis sball. it also frees up a slot for pursuit so u can kill the aegis or latias, etc. assault vest gives bisharp a lot of special bulk with max hp. for instance, ive taken ep from kyube then killed with iron head.

I never really found him amazing in uu. I usually just lol'd at him because I feel he sucks up too much momentum. Hopefully this gen he can shine a lot more though.

Also idk if they fixed it yet on showdown but, I can confirm ingame that king's sheild does not lower attack when you sucker punch.
Lol I take all that back. Bisharp is godlike.

Not really, Knock Off loses a lot of power after the first hit so being locked in it isnt great and who needs a scarf anyway when youve got STAB Sucker Punch?
But Sucker Punch is to easy to play around. The last few times I used Bisharp I found myself using Knock Off or Iron head more than Sucker Punch because people expect a Sucher Punch and either set up, use a status move or switch out.

Bisharp can learn some really good coverate moves that can hurt a lot coming from its base attack.
Knock Off, Iron Head, Stone Edge, Psycho Cut/X-Scissor/Poison Jab/Low Kick.

If you predict a defog, not many Pokemons are gonna enjoy a +2 Knock Off.

But Sucker Punch is to easy to play around. The last few times I used Bisharp I found myself using Knock Off or Iron head more than Sucker Punch because people expect a Sucher Punch and either set up, use a status move or switch out.
You have to learn how to predict what your opponent will do. Against certain threats, like greninja, theres a 99% certainty that its only running attacking moves, so sucker punch is a safe bet. Against pokemon that may try to set up or use faster priority, you gotta go straight for the knock off.

You have to learn how to predict what your opponent will do. Against certain threats, like greninja, theres a 99% certainty that its only running attacking moves, so sucker punch is a safe bet. Against pokemon that may try to set up or use faster priority, you gotta go straight for the knock off.
Does Sucker Punch occurs before Protean? If so Greninja will resist the Sucker Punch. and would proceed to 1hko Bisharp with Hydro Pump. Sucker Punch would be a better option here, but Bisharp shouldn't stay in against Greninja in the first place.

Sucker Punch can be amazing, especially against AV users and Aegislash , but I found myself using it less and less as I go up the ladder. Past the 1400 (Which is not high at all) players started to know how to play around Sucker Punch.
It takes a skill to know when to Sucker Punch, but I found out that people usually except Bisharp to Sucker Punch and proceed to set up only to get slammed by Knock Off/Iron Head, or allowing my Bisharp to set up a Sword Dance. I only Sucker Punch versus weakened Pokemons.

This is why I wonder if a Scarf Bisharp could work, as it has an amazing attack and great coverage moves and can surprise people.

Does Sucker Punch occurs before Protean? If so Greninja will resist the Sucker Punch. and would proceed to 1hko Bisharp with Hydro Pump. Sucker Punch would be a better option here, but Bisharp shouldn't stay in against Greninja in the first place.

Sucker Punch can be amazing, especially against AV users and Aegislash , but I found myself using it less and less as I go up the ladder. Past the 1400 (Which is not high at all) players started to know how to play around Sucker Punch.
It takes a skill to know when to Sucker Punch, but I found out that people usually except Bisharp to Sucker Punch and proceed to set up only to get slammed by Knock Off/Iron Head, or allowing my Bisharp to set up a Sword Dance. I only Sucker Punch versus weakened Pokemons.

This is why I wonder if a Scarf Bisharp could work, as it has an amazing attack and great coverage moves and can surprise people.
Sure, it can surprise people, but it's not worth giving up the ability to change moves, which is very important to Bisharp. Sorry, Greninja wasn't a very good example, I was trying to name a Pokemon that pretty much exclusively runs attacking moves. Sucker punch is a huge reason Bisharp made it to S rank. Reliable or not, having access to such ridiculously powerful priority is amazing in the metagame. After a boost, you're OHKO'ing pretty much andy scarfer including Garchomp....
As someone who's gone far up the ladder with Bisharp, and actually experimented with a Choice Band set, I can definitely say that putting a choice item on this pokemon is pretty pointless.

Sure, it can surprise people, but it's not worth giving up the ability to change moves, which is very important to Bisharp. Sorry, Greninja wasn't a very good example, I was trying to name a Pokemon that pretty much exclusively runs attacking moves. Sucker punch is a huge reason Bisharp made it to S rank. Reliable or not, having access to such ridiculously powerful priority is amazing in the metagame. After a boost, you're OHKO'ing pretty much andy scarfer including Garchomp....
As someone who's gone far up the ladder with Bisharp, and actually experimented with a Choice Band set, I can definitely say that putting a choice item on this pokemon is pretty pointless.

From my experience most Pokemons who only run 4 attacks are capable to ohko/seriously harm Bisharp. AV Conk, AV Azumaril, Greninja, Talonflame, Keldeo,Crawdaunt etc.... Sucker Punch can take care of Scarfed Garchomp, Excadrill and any choice locked Pokemon that doesn't resist Dark.

I'm not saying that Sucker Punch is not a good move, its an amazing move and Bisharp have won me many games thanks to Sucker Punch. but personally I found out that most people expect Bisharp to Sucker Punch, which I don't mind as I usually go for Knock Off, Iron Head or Sword Dance. Having Sucker Punch can put pressure on other players, especially after a Defiant Boost or a Sword Dance.

I need to test scarfed Bisharp more. I've only tried it few times, but I need to adjust the team in a better way to get a better verdict on how good this Bisharp can be. But unfortunately I keep getting the socket hang up error on showdown. h

From my experience most Pokemons who only run 4 attacks are capable to ohko/seriously harm Bisharp. AV Conk, AV Azumaril, Greninja, Talonflame, Keldeo,Crawdaunt etc.... Sucker Punch can take care of Scarfed Garchomp, Excadrill and any choice locked Pokemon that doesn't resist Dark.

I'm not saying that Sucker Punch is not a good move, its an amazing move and Bisharp have won me many games thanks to Sucker Punch. but personally I found out that most people expect Bisharp to Sucker Punch, which I don't mind as I usually go for Knock Off, Iron Head or Sword Dance. Having Sucker Punch can put pressure on other players, especially after a Defiant Boost or a Sword Dance.

I need to test scarfed Bisharp more. I've only tried it few times, but I need to adjust the team in a better way to get a better verdict on how good this Bisharp can be. But unfortunately I keep getting the socket hang up error on showdown. h
Having priority strongly discourages using a choice scarf, while it does have the surprise factor, it loses out on two much power compared to LO and CB sets. Bisharp is a great revenge killer, and like talonflame, uses priority instead of speed to kill.

Im curious if there are any Pokemon he can come in on and KO when running an Assault Vest. Is there an EV Spread/ situation where an Assault Vest would be a viable and useful option on Bisharp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)