Metagame Broken Record

Tranquility

If I can stop one heart from breaking
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Approved by Isaiah and drampa's grandpa
Original Idea by Dratios

D698C40C-7863-4E8C-8B8A-0AE1DF6E8879.jpeg

Art by Daylight

Broken Record

Have you ever raised your fists to the heavens and cursed the limited number of moveslots? Or wished you could make every stall mon ever learn Spikes as well? Or maybe you just wanted Weavile to learn Gunk Shot to bean Clef out of existence? Broken Record solves all of these problems. You hold a TR, forfeiting your item slot, but in return learning the held TR as a 5th move. This allows for more flexibility in movesets; for example, attackers can run more coverage and utility mons can now run hazards.

Example Sets:

:ss/Zapdos-Galar:

Zapdos-Galar @ TR00 (Swords Dance)
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Thunderous Kick
- Throat Chop

:ss/corviknight:

Corviknight @ TR23 (Spikes)
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Banlist:
Pokemon: Calyrex-Ice, Calyrex-Shadow, Cinderace, Darmanitan-Galar, Dialga, Dracovish, Dragapult, Eternatus, Genesect, Giratina, Giratina-Origin, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kartana, Kyogre, Kyurem, Kyurem-Black, Kyurem-White, Landorus-Incarnate, Lugia, Lunala, Magearna, Marshadow, Melmetal, Mewtwo, Naganadel, Necrozma-Dawn-Wings, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, Palkia, Pheromosa, Rayquaza, Regieleki, Reshiram, Rillaboom, Solgaleo, Spectrier, Urshifu-Single-Strike, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zacian, Zacian-Crowned, Zamazenta, Zamazenta-Crowned, Zekrom, Zygarde-base

Items: TR29 (Baton Pass), TR82 (Stored Power)

Abilities: Arena Trap, Magnet Pull, Moody, Power Construct, Shadow Tag

Banned Moves: Baton Pass

Clauses: Sleep Moves Clause, Species Clause, Nickname Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Moves Clause, Endless Battle Clause, Dynamax Clause

Tiering History:
2022/4/29 - Meta created with initial banlist
2022/7/1 - Kartana, Regieleki, and TR82 (Stored Power) quick banned
2022/7/7 - Melmetal, Dragapult and Rillaboom are quick banned

Current Watchlist:
TR00 (Swords Dance)
TR23 (Spikes)
TR51 (Dragon Dance)
TR68 (Nasty Plot)
Zeraora

Council:

:jirachi: Tranquility
Regular Form
Eggs
Instruct
UT
Dratios

FAQs:

Q: Do moves like knock off, fling or trick work on TRs?
A: No, held TRs may not be removed by any means (similar to that of Z-moves or Mega Stones). Knock Off is also 65 BP when used against a TR.

Q: Is a TR added like a fifth move with normal PP and Power?
A: Yes, the move will have the same mechanics as it would have normally, including secondary effects as well.

Q: Can I add TRs to a mon that doesn't normally learn it?
A: Yes, there are no restrictions to which TRs can be used aside from the ones that are banned.

Q: Can a mon hold a TR for a move it learns naturally?
A: Yes, but it can't have the move in its set. You can't have the same move twice, basically.

Q: How many times can I use a specific TR Move on a team?
A: A specific TR move can only be used once per team. So no, you can't just add dragon dance to all of your team.

Q: Do I have to use a TR on a pokemon's item slot?
A: No, and infact some pokemon benefit from sticking to their normal items and not using a TR for their item slot.

Q: Where is the metagame playable?
A: Currently it is playable on ROM, albeit with just a standard banlist.

Resources:
List of TR Moves

Last edited:
:ss/volcarona:
Volcarona @ TR67
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

I gotta make a Volcarona set each time a new OM drops. TR67 contains Earth Power, allowing Volcarona to blow past Heatran and Toxapex, though giving up Heavy-Duty Boots is a steep price to pay.

:ss/lurantis:
Lurantis @ TR43
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Synthesis
- Superpower
- Substitute

TR43 contains Overheat, allowing Lurantis both powerful coverage and a way to boost its Special Attack. It's still no Serperior.

:ss/regieleki:
Regieleki @ TR05
Ability: Transistor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin
- Electro Ball

TR05 contains Ice Beam, which Regieleki can use to hit the Ground-types that previously walled it.

:ss/regigigas:
Regigigas @ TR40
Ability: Slow Start
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Power-Up Punch / Substitute / Rock Polish
- Knock Off

TR40 contains Skill Swap, which for Regigigas is basically like using Agility, Swords Dance, Cotton Spore, and Feather Dance all at once. Unfortunately, Regigigas doesn't have the best options for abusing the switches this forces.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
:ss/zeraora:
Zeraora @ TR23 (Spikes)
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Volt Switch
- Close Combat
- Plasma Fists
- Taunt

This is a standard Zeraora that abuses the most probably broken TR in this meta, Spikes. Zeraora is pretty great at forcing switches, and now it can just kinda Spike as the opponent leaves.

:ss/landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ TR66 (Brave Bird)
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Explosion / Smack Down / Gravity

STABmons Lando-T strikes again! Immune to the Spikes that are sure to be everywhere and excessively powerful, a double dance set gives it a ton of sweeping potential and Intimidate gives it plenty of opportunities to set up. Honestly nothing new for OMs. Lando-T has at least 3 other sets I could post but I won't for now.

:ss/klefki:
Klefki @ TR30 (Encore)
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Spikes / Defog
- Torment

Setup is gonna be common. You know what's really annoying when you're trying to set up? Encore. Encore + Torment makes them Struggle. Fairy Lock is another pretty memey option but it makes them Struggle for several turns, although them staying in long enough for you to actually pull that off seems unlikely.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Okay this is a lot better than the weird one-liner I was expecting from just the Other Metagames tag alone.

Obv giving up an item slot is bad for a good amount of Pokemon, since many of them really want extra power, Scarf, or longevity to fulfill their role. Basically if you want to give Landorus Brave Bird you have to sacrifice Leftovers, and without passive healing Lando is much easier to wear down. Not that giving it the BB TR is bad: I envision that both offensive (perhaps double dance) and defensive variants will be good.

Anyway a big mechanical point of interest for me is that TRs will work like Mega Stones/Z-Moves, which leads to the inevitable attribute of being advantageous into Knock Off and Trick.

First of all, being able to benefit from your item slot (in this case, a fifth move) while also being immune to item manipulation has a lot of defensive application. For instance:

+2 252 Atk Weavile Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 270-320 (68.5 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

You can just hard into Bro on Weavile fsr and pivot out with like Teleport. Stupid.

Slower setup wincons like CM/Demon Clef sound a lot better here as well. TRs can provide useful setup or coverage to help said sets not be strained for moveslots, while also protecting them against one of the better forms of counterplay available in tricking Choice items. Like imagine this set

Clefable @ TR46
Level: 100
Bold Nature
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder
- Iron Defense

Knowing Clef there's something way more toxic than that but it's a start.

The real big stuff is going to be giving strong coverage to mons that don't need it (ice beam eleki, kartana with like anything really)
or powerful setup on already threatening attackers (sd/np pult, dd chomp, dd or like even agility melmetal LMAO). I could see setup moves in particular getting out of hand quickly and even after the worst offenders get banned it may the case of "okay bring out the next broken in line lol" but it is hard to say at this moment. Having Pult and Melm on the watchlist is a smart move though, Pult can easily run mixed (Phantom Force is not terribly exploitable esp at +2 and you outspeed most defensive switch-ins anyway and can go from there) and Melmetal with any assortment of Attack/Speed boosts sounds awful to deal with. Like at +2 with 252 neutral nature you creep max Speed Garchomp by one point. That's so much more stuff you can smack with Bash before they can attack, and that means it's real flinching hours. Competitive!

Anyway HO sounds like a mfer now that everything gets stupid setup gl to the meta council

:ss/zapdos:

Zapdos @ TR05
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Ice Beam
wow! zappy with boltbeam! very cool! can serve as a makeshift lando check thanks to ice beam, where it would previously get completely walled by it. only have this set to show off, but its still day 1, so im sure there'll be a ton of creative and fun sets to try out later

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
Since no one has posted it yet I'll do a super obvious one and a pretty good partner for it

Magnezone @ TR43
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- Overheat

Magnezone finally gets a Fire-type move that's not Hidden Power, super epic. This thing should probably be put on the watch list IMO, we have already seen how it can enable other offensive Pokemon in Sketch.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ TR66
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Brave Bird

A likely partner for the set I posted above, Lando-T with a strong Flying move is very strong.
Anywhere there it is guys, sorry if this post was a little short, but I felt like these two sets were pretty self explanatory.

EDIT: I completely missed that drampa already posted Lando-T, oops! And Magnet Pull is banned also, welp...

Ok since Mag Pull is banned and drampa already posted about Lando, I have came up with something else so that this post is not completely useless.

Tapu Koko @ TR15
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Roost
- Fire Blast

Tapu Koko can now get a Fire move to hit the pesky Ferrothorn that can otherwise check it. Also will have use in Broken Record OMMs to hit the VA Steel birds that are always viable when Koko is good. TR05 for Ice Beam is another option to hit things like SpDef Lando, but I feel like Dazzling Gleam into U-turn deals with them enough.

Last edited:
Magnezone @ TR43
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- Overheat

Magnezone finally gets a Fire-type move that's not Hidden Power, super epic. This thing should probably be put on the watch list IMO, we have already seen how it can enable other offensive Pokemon in Sketch.
i regret to inform you that Magnet Pull is banned so this set won't Work. but hey Fire coverage is still amazing on this for analytic.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ TR89
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Weather Ball
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Hurricane

I love this because its legit stronger Zapdos in rain with set up and not having a move that does less damage in rain to hit steels. you could use Thundurus-I but me like strong

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
i regret to inform you that Magnet Pull is banned so this set won't Work. but hey Fire coverage is still amazing on this for analytic.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ TR89
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Weather Ball
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Hurricane

I love this because its legit stronger Zapdos in rain with set up and not having a move that does less damage in rain to hit steels. you could use Thundurus-I but me like strong
I am bad and dont know how to read (I am learning though)

Excadrill @ TR55 (Flare Blitz)
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide / Rapid Spin

With some variety of steel bird on 716% of teams, Sand Rush Driller's fallen off the map - oh whoopsie looks like I dropped my Flare Blitz TM.

+2 252 Atk Excadrill Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 402-474 (100.7 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Excadrill Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 306-360 (91.6 - 107.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock)
+2 252 Atk Excadrill Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Celesteela: 524-618 (156.4 - 184.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Excadrill Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 522-616 (131.1 - 154.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Hatterene (F) @ TR44
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam / Nuzzle
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / Nuzzle

Look upon this and weep. Cosmic Power Hatterene becomes very difficult to stop very quickly: it is immune to Taunt and all forms of phasing (except for Parting Shot), and has a naturally high special attack that allows it to chunk Haze Toxapex after just one boost, quickly running it out of recovery, as well as threaten Dark-types with Dazzling Gleam. It also has the option of running Nuzzle to cripple would-be checks, allowing teammates to take advantage of them or for Hatterene to attempt to brute-force them with some luck. Hatterene is even a natural deterrent to hazards, which is especially valuable in a meta where every single Pokemon has access to both types of Spikes and Stealth Rock. Specially and physically defensive spreads are both fine depending on what you're looking to set up on: physdef does better against most Steel and Dark types as well as Urshifu, while specially defensive is better against Hydreigon, Clefable, Tornadus-T, Tapu Fini etc. Nuzzle sets should run more speed to creep para'd defensive Heatran and offensive Tyranitar.

One of the better long-term checks would be Excadrill, as Iron Head has a ton of PP and high flinch chance, it's completely immune to Nuzzle, and it's capable of setting hazards in its face with Mold Breaker. Other options include Melmetal, Galarian Slowking and Aegislash, and of course sufficient offensive pressure can be good at keeping it off the field in the first place. Tapu Fini is great against Nuzzle sets as it removes Hatterene's main way of making lasting progress.

Calcs are +1 for mons you're slower than after para and +2 for mostly everything else. There's quite a few mons here that can deal sufficient damage to Hatterene, but have to trade their lives to do it, potentially allowing Hatterene to Rest on a slower or more passive mon later.

0 SpA Hatterene Stored Power (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 126-150 (41.4 - 49.3%) -- 84% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Hatterene Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 338-402 (99.1 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Hatterene on a critical hit: 219-261 (68.8 - 82%) -- approx. 2HKO

0 SpA Hatterene Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Weavile: 254-302 (90.3 - 107.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. +1 252 HP / 200+ Def Hatterene: 147-174 (46.2 - 54.7%) -- approx. 59.4% chance to 2HKO

0 SpA Hatterene Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 152-180 (44.5 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. +2 252 HP / 200+ Def Hatterene: 108-127 (33.9 - 39.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage

0 SpA Hatterene Stored Power (60 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar: 216-254 (82.7 - 97.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Hatterene: 170-204 (53.4 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Hatterene: 105-124 (33 - 38.9%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO

0 SpA Hatterene Stored Power (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tornadus-Therian: 153-181 (51 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. +2 252 HP / 200+ SpD Hatterene: 118-139 (37.1 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. +2 252 HP / 0 SpD Hatterene: 67-79 (21 - 24.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after trapping damage

252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. +1 252 HP / 200+ Def Hatterene: 93-109 (29.2 - 34.2%) -- 3.3% chance to 3HKO

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
I'm surprised no one has mentioned TR 84 Scald yet, as it can be a great move even without STAB, could be a good alternative for passive mons as Knock Off is not as valuable, it should be fine at punishing physical attackers trying to switch for free, after all you can't give Spikes to all your walls. Also, it may as well be Will-o-Wisp when used by SG Blissey.
TR 30 Encore also seem like a good option here as everyone wants to abuse Nasty Plot, Swords Dance, Cosmic Power and Dragon Dance.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Other options include Melmetal,
No they don’t, that thing’s not gonna last a week. Not even because of Swords Dance, but because of Agility. As mentioned before, +2 Melmetal with 252 Speed and a neutral nature hits 334 Speed, which outspeeds fully invested Garchomp and anything slower. That includes pretty much everything that Melmetal normally fears—Nidoking, Lando-T, Zapdos, basically every Fire-type you’ll see, et cetera. Going for Jolly instead lets you outspeed base 110s. Even if you’re not running coverage for everything, Double Iron Bash is objectively uncompetitive when run on anything that can actually move first and has little counterplay besides switching in Ferrothorn and hoping it doesn’t decide to click Superpower instead, or sending out Volcarona and praying for Flame Body to proc before it can Earthquake you.

ponchlake

cult of personality cult leader
:ss/Kartana:

Kartana @ TR75 (Stone Edge)
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

Standard Kartana stuff here, except now it has an 80% chance (feels like 12% sometimes) to kill its best counter in Zapdos. I'm very on the fence about using Stone Edge over TR55 (Flare Blitz) right now since Corviknight is really good in practically all OM's, especially in one where it gets Spikes. I feel that Edge will be very useful if Zapdos, Dragonite, and/or Volc see a lot of usage . Other than that, Flare Blitz seems to be the more useful coverage move (+ the 10% Burn that almost feels like 80% against you). I'm running this at the moment since my expectation is that I'll see a lot of Bolt-Beam Zap/Thundy + Kart can still potentially muscle pass Corv given enough boosts or prior chip without Blitz.

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Having played this a little it's not the Spikes hell I thought it was going to be... yet.

Instead it's a hell of Hyper-Offensive setup versus coverage, power versus speed. And quite fun.
I was worried this meta wouldn't stand out from Sketchmons, but after a few battles I think it does. The TRs are definitely worth running, but while I wouldn't necessarily call not not centralizing (that's kinda the point of this... the meta is centralized around this concept) if you forget about other items you're in trouble, as stuff like Life Orb, Choice Scarf, and Heavy Duty Boots are still quite powerful.

:ss/alakazam:
Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Alakazam loves how Hyper-Offensive this metagame is. It can stop almost any sweep once, and given how much setup there is that's super helpful. It can also still benefit from Life Orb, but I would avoid TRs in general as it already has the coverage it needs.

:ss/melmetal:
Melmetal @ TR51 (Dragon Dance)
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 248 HP / 56 SpD / 204 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

This is a bit of a weird set. RestTalk received a minor buff in this metagame with Rest being less likely to be chosen on sets with TRs due simply to there being more options in the pool. Rest is one of the four choices being picked from, not one of three. This Melmetal set abuses its insane bulk as it usually does, but instead of just being tanky and hitting hard this time it uses that bulk to set up.
EVs outspeed 252+ Lando-T at +2 and dump into special bulk. 32 Speed is pretty much the minimum I would go on Speed as it outpaces Aegislash at +2 and 252+ base 110s at +3.
Heavy Slam was chosen over Double Iron Bash because Double Iron Bash has no PP. It's really that simple.
I haven't tried out this set yet so it's possible it will get overwhelmed in this meta, but I think it's cool.

:ss/blaziken:
Blaziken @ TR72 (Power Whip)
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz

Blaziken getting Speed Boost is very nice for outpacing its competition, and with Power Whip it can smack around bulky Waters and shizzle. It ends up a little on the weak side, and Dragonite and Latios are very very good right now making it difficult for it to outright sweep, but it can still push through unprepared teams.

:ss/ditto:
Ditto @ Choice Scarf

Ditto does what it always does. For the time being it even gets all five moves of the opponent. In this set-up intensive metagame it is superb and underused, and should be on practically every team.

:ss/blacephalon:
Blacephalon @ TR53 (Close Combat)
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Taunt / Calm Mind / Explosion
- Substitute / Calm Mind / Explosion

Probably the best set I'm posting besides Ditto. Close Combat Blacephalon goes in hard, especially with a little prediction against spinners. It really has no reliable walls and while it's nowhere near a longterm breaker, the games in this meta don't last very long. It has a bunch of other options such as Will-o-Wisp + Hex, Mind Blown, Psyshock, Flame Charge, and even Knock Off, although that's rather niche here. The coverage is perfect, its power isn't lacking, and you need to be able to tank not just its STABs but an Explosion to really be able to wall it. It's a little slow for the meta, which is why I recommend running it with Webs. It's a nice spinblocker and webs abuser.

Hi everyone,

After some discussion, council has decided to quickban Kartana, Regieleki, and TR82 (Stored Power), with the decisions being unanimous for Kart and Eleki and 3-2 for Stored Power.

Quick ban...KartanaRegielekiTR82 (Stored Power)
TranquilityBanBanBan
EggsBanBanBan
InstructBanBanBan
UTBanBanDo Not Ban
DratiosBanBanDo Not Ban
Total5-0 Ban5-0 Ban3-2 Ban

In standard play, Kartana is usually limited by coverage and low BP moves, neither of which are an issue for it in Broken Record. It has the freedom to run powerful coverage to blow past its usual counters, like Flare Blitz or Blaze Kick for Celesteela and Corviknight and Stone Edge for Dragonite and Zapdos. We're certain that the longer it stays in the tier, the more broken sets will be found for it.

I don't think I need to explain Regieleki in detail. Ice Beam was the one best thing it could've received to boost its viability, with the only real answer being Water/Grounds that are sitting ducks for Kartana and are otherwise unuseful. While it's fun to see it can truly excel, the meta will be much better with Eleki gone.

Stored Power is being banned because this meta solves the number one issue with relying on it: opportunity cost. You can now run Stored Power /coverage/recovery/boosting move 1/boosting move 2 as needed, and by virtue of how the move works, users can muscle past fat mons and Unaware with relatively little difficulty. While normally unreliable and unlikely to be chosen over better moves, its addition as a fifth move specifically reduces the opportunity cost drastically as there is plenty of room for other attacking moves.

Tagging Kris to implement whenever possible, thanks!

:ss/shuckle:
Shuckle @ TR99 (Body Press)
Ability: Sturdy Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Iron Defense Shell Smash
- Rest

Was thinking about this. Coballion ends up dealing a little less damage with STAB, and... yeah. Late game sweeper but you have to take care of the obvious ghost-types/special attackers. Get's screwed by ditto.

Edit: Retro pointed out this significantly better change. Now it's less likely to die at the small price of losing sturdy (which wasn't exactly that important). If you pair this with some hazards, I can see situations where a defog can raise evasiveness which is very theoretical and probably won't happen but is still nice to consider.

Last edited:
Just gonna make a post about some mons I’ve been having fun with on day 1 of ladder.
:ss/rillaboom:
Rillaboom @ TR55 (Flare Blitz)
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- High Horsepower
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

Flare Blitz is nice for hitting steels like Corviknight and Melmetal pretty hard. Otherwise it just does SD Rilla things, glide is really nice in such a frail, hyper-offensive meta and U-Turn is fun for being able to form a VoltTurn core with Eleki. (RIP)

:ss/Urshifu-rapid-strike:
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ TR00 (Swords Dance)
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- U-turn

Swords dance is just a really good setup move. Main perk of ursh over something like zapdos-galar is aqua jet which allows it to ko frail mons (namely Eleki lol) attempting to revenge kill it after it sets up. I opted for U-Turn over Thunder Punch to add to the pivotspam with Eleki and Rilla. Dragon dance is probably better here, but the dragon dance slot was taken by the next mon I’m gonna talk about.

:ss/melmetal:
Melmetal @ TR51 (Dragon Dance)
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Dragon Dance allows melmetal to boost its speed and actually outspeed stuff while also getting an attack boost. Other than that not really anything of note here, double iron bash is a broken move if you outspeed with its epic 51(?) percent chance to flinch. Opted for ice punch to hit lando here.

:ss/landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ TR66 (Brave Bird)
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge

Pretty much just standard double dance Lando but with good flying STAB, it’s really threatening if it gets both setup moves off but it’s kinda hard to setup in such a hyper offensive meta. I usually prioritize rock polish as most things in the meta are hit pretty hard by Lando anyways. Lando can also provide some emergency defensive utility against the likes of melmetal and rillaboom if needed.

:ss/zapdos-galar:
Zapdos-Galar @ TR51 (Dragon Dance)
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Thunderous Kick
- U-turn

Gapdos has a great stab combination and dragon dance allows it to outspeed almost everything in the meta (except Eleki) after a boost. It’s a really great breaker that was hindered by getting revenged by Eleki, once Eleki goes this gets a lot better.

:ss/tapu koko:
Tapu Koko @ TR68
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot
- Roost

I used koko on an eterrain team paired with Eleki to allow Eleki to just blow things up with rising voltage. After Eleki gets banned Koko is looking like the prime Eleki replacement, either nasty plot sets or an ice beam set are really threatening and can fulfill about the same role as Eleki, except with a slightly worse speed tier and instead a better movepool plus a secondary STAB.

:ss/ditto:
Ditto @ Choice Scarf

Ditto is so good more people need to use this thing, it’s really underrated. It does a great job at revenge killing in such a hyper-offensive and setup-focused meta. Ditto is particularly nice in this meta since as of now, it gets the 5th move of the mon it copies even if it holds a choice scarf.

oh yeah I also got 1300 on the ladder here’s the team(click on mons for paste):
:ditto::regieleki::rillaboom::Urshifu-rapid-strike::landorus-therian::melmetal:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)