CAP 10 CAP 10 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so, I am a decent artist, beleive it or not, but I have nooo technical art equipment at all, and no real knowledge on how to use any of it anyway. That is, except for corel draw, but I'm so terribad at it that I can't figure out how to colour my design.

http://s639.photobucket.com/albums/uu115/Cyberwulf4/?action=view&current=CAP10thegood.jpg

An old doodle I did, redone. It's not NEARLY as imaginative as the rest, but it seems eel-ee, and got those big ole fins. I think if I can figure out how to colour it it'll look better >.<

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
About the Jellyfish, my third version is a mix of both 1st and 2nd version.
I just took the first Jelly and change the colors based on the second version, and made the helmet bigger and the body tinier (It's that correct? Tinier?).

I want to make it less human and more like a Jellyfish. The final version will be near the 1st and the 3th versions. More plug arms = saturation.

Who is supporting the Jellyfish? Or Do you prefer the Stormcloud?
I want to know if I'm in the right way.

I think the jelly fish looks a bit uninspired. There's virtually no actual aesthetic design to it, it's just a blob with some tentacles and a fish bowl for a head. I think your storm cloud has far more potential than the jelly fish simply because it's a more visually pleasing and exciting concept.

My honest opinion, though, is that I think you should investigate some other concepts. Neither of them really seems quite right for the concept. Good luck to you!

This is my third version of my Jellyfish.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3433/thirdversionbythebluefl.jpg

Any comment?
I actually like the plug arms better... =0 But that's just me. Between the stormcloud and the jellyfishman, I think I'd rather support the latter... just because it's more original. Honestly, I probably wouldn't vote for the cloud (even though it's very good and looks a lot like a Pokemon) simply because of Cyclohm already being a cloud, basically. =\ I support jellyfishman.

@ Garagara: I want to see it in color. D: If you want, I could do a quick color job for you. (Disclaimer, shading won't be great if there's even shading at all, but it WILL be clean.)

@ Banryu: I would absolutely love a quick colouring!! I'd totally appreciate it.

I wish I was at my gf's, she has a scanner T.T

Well here's my preliminary design for my concept, it's supposed to be a very wise and jovial anemone with a glowing orb. While its pretty quickly done, I wanted to get it out here for some criticism so I can redo it probably many times til I find a better version.

About the Jellyfish, my third version is a mix of both 1st and 2nd version.
I just took the first Jelly and change the colors based on the second version, and made the helmet bigger and the body tinier (It's that correct? Tinier?).

I want to make it less human and more like a Jellyfish. The final version will be near the 1st and the 3th versions. More plug arms = saturation.

Who is supporting the Jellyfish? Or Do you prefer the Stormcloud?
I want to know if I'm in the right way.
I think you lost the feeling with the third picture's pose. As with what I have talked with Cartoons! about, the pose does a lot for the Pokemon, especially when we don't have any true data on its stats and movepool. The first poses were more dynamic: it was doing something, striking an offensive pose, which made it stick. Now it's just... idk what it's doing. Try finding a more dynamic pose like the first or simply sticking with the first.

The thundercloud is good, but try a sketch without the lightningbolts in its hands (or just edit your previously made pic). If it just doesn't work for you, stick with the original design as it still works. I'm more for your thundercloud than the jellyfish but both seem viable. Perhaps post both together so people can compare them back to back rather than search through for both.

Update on my dolphin thing:

Spent more time on this, though still haven't nicely shaded everything.

Any suggestions or comments? I was thinking of adding some sort of electric looking horn, would this help or hurt it?

Buffalo_Wings

Abnormally Cruel
is an Artist Alumnus
aahh shalom brothas, another CAP art thread bustling with activity. As usual everyone's contributing some amazing art. I'm pretty much retired as an artist (almost went CAP to CAP without drawing a single picture bzzzt) but you always have to make a special effort when it comes around!
SO I'm gonna post my ruffies like i always do man, all feedback and crits appreciated aiight

These are big, rough as all hell and terrible!

Shittest
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1986/crap101.jpg
-Jellyfish poke i had created already before CAP - idea from spongebob squarepants (yes) and the plum pudding model of the atom (yes)
-Battery pokes , whateva
-Electric catfish fatty

Shit
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/488/crap102.jpg
-Plug lizard, my idea for a "versatile" poke, it can change its tail and hands (formes) to suit its needs, like they plug in to him. The plugs have face shapes for something like intimidate incase it was chosen.
-Submarine "explorer pokemon" A fish, submarine, and flashlight rolled into one. Does it get any better than this? Face on side to ward of predators who catch a glimpse in the dark. (also intimidate yet again)

Shit
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/241/crap103.jpg
-Shapeshifting monster, body made up of a polar liquid (right?) can change its own shape by controlling charge. Flies by using a bubble shape whynot?

Well there ya go. Ill probably go on with the last one if any, unless anyone thinks otherwise.

darkmattr that design is amazing, and I would love to see it win. I know some people have different opinions, but I feel it would still look plenty electric if you took away the lightning effects. I also would like if you could take away the darkness surrounding its eyes. It doesn't make sense for it to be there, since nothing is really casting a shadow over it. As for other suggestions, that depends on what exactly your mon is supposed to be based on. Its shape reminds me of one of those undersea mines...if that's what you were going for, I would recommend shortening the spines on the top a little bit. Of course, maybe you were going for more of a sea urchin influence, in which case those long spines are great!

Actually, Sentret, that's an incredibly awesome concept to be perfectly honest. I think you should attempt to give it more of elbows, instead of just having the arms be tentacle and as if there is no bone structure. Furthermore, you should actually draw the other arm and other whisker and the other half of the concept in general. Only doing the profile like that does look strange.

It's awesome, though, keep up the good work!

Great design hark, and really original, but I'm not liking that twisty mouth. If it's supposed to be some sort of jester or trickster, how about you give it a big, devious grin like Gengar? Also, maybe you could try having the big hat come down over the eyes...I think it would look sorta cool and mysterious, but of course it's your design and I'd hate to mess with a good thing!

Yadon, that is a cool looking CAP. I think you should do some work on the eyes; right now they're looking kind of plain. Maybe you could have them glowing yellow or electric blue, and take away the pupils? Just a suggestion. Also, I think you should pose it differently. I know you want to show the pads on the ends of its tentacles, but I can't help thinking that it would look better in a more dynamic position. Right now it looks like it's raising its hand to answer a question in school or something. I guess that ties in to the theme of being smart, but it's not that exciting.

A new design for the flying electric eel dude >.< I'll have a bunch more supporting material later tonight when I have access to a scanner. So, the idea is that those huge fins are super stretchy and tough, and can be used to ensnare opponents, be used as a shield, and of course, to swim. The giant spine on its back is where the electricity usually comes from, so to attack it will either hurl itself in a ball at the enemy, like a cannonball, or use its giant fins to propel itself at an enemy reeeally fast, like a lightning bolt.

I caaan't figure out how to colour properly on the stupid program I have, so I'm sorry for the black and whiteness. The body will be purple, wings dark blue, and the spine yellow. The idea being, especially at night, all you see is the spine rushing at you and it looks like lightning.

Huuuge fan of aragornbirds design XD

Cartoons never ceases to amaze me. That fairy mon is odd, yet original, and at the same time just fucking awesome. Not only that, but how can someone compete with your cartoons? You nailed the hell out of this CAP.

edit: WOW Sentret. That is one hell of a first post. Give it a pose with a bit more "action" in it, and that could turn into one of the top contenders :)

That second design is definitely an improvement, Garagara. I like the more agressive pose and higher spines on the back. However, you need to make the wings bigger, and less blocky...wings and fins should fan out or taper to a point, not just end as rectangular ribbons. Still, I can definitely see this guy swooping down out of the night sky to pounce on something...but for Pete's sake, give him a mouth and some teeth so he can actually do some damage when he reaches his target!

I agree Lovebite. I think putting eyes on that thing would look totally out of place...the only way I could possibly see them working is if its eyes were shut, like Whismur or something like that.

Also @SENTRET: Wow, that is one scary looking beast. I love the whiskers, the eyes, and the fins, although I would like it better if the latter were the same yellowish color as the belly. Don't worry; the extra set of eyes and generally weird design keep it from looking like a dragon. I personally think you should keep the fluid, tentacle-ish look of the arms. We're making a Pokemon designed to be flexible, so why should you limit the flexibility of its arms? All jokes aside, I like tentacles better. I could see this guy trailing them behind him while he swims, or flapping them like wings, or bringing them crashing down on top of some annoying opposing Pokemon (preferably Blissey). The one thing I would fiddle with is the tail. It needs to be longer and thicker, or its never going to get this guy moving through the water. Love the lightning bolt on the end of it, though!

@Swordmaster: Yours is probably the best of all the "water molecule" designs that have been submitted...the others look kind of emotionless. I like the central body, but I'm not wild about those jagged minus signs coming off it. I know they're meant to represent electrons, but if they're electrical effects, you're going to need to get rid of them eventually. I think you should make them into long tentacles instead. Keep those orbs on the ends of them, they look cool!

Final Submission

Agility in water and on land gives this Pokémon the edge on its prey... and its enemies. In the water, powerful muscles in its flexible carapace propel it with vigorous tail strokes; on land, the tail becomes a powerful weapon used to lash out and stun the foe. While in use, the tail and back muscles produce acids used in electrochemical reactions within the bulbous 'cells,' giving this Pokémon a means of both illuminating murky environments and paralyzing potential prey by discharging stored electricity. Larger predators avoid this Pokémon not only for its ability to manipulate electricity, but also for the effective defense provided by it's toughened carapace. (My apologies to those who know how electrochemical cells actually work, but this is Pokémon :P)

P.S.- Thank you for your comments and criticisms. I carefully considered and played with all your suggestions, but none of my alterations pleased me as much as this original, sorry if I disappointed you.

Wow Headpunch, that thing is a piece of work. Your story about how you made it is funny too...this guy sure does look like he's about to eat me. I love the colors, the pose, and the various weird lights, but I would get rid of that thing on the end of his tail and just have it end in a point...it seems to me that if he were to curl up, that doohicky would just get in the way. Also, the pink of the tongue seems out of place. How about you make it the same electric green color as the eyes?

this is my second attempt, happier with this one, it's simpler but pretty cool idea behind it, the cloud behind its head is a large "electron cloud" which it can control to form into a 'particle shield' to block attacks or to charge up electric attacks from. Also has a lightning rod on his head can be used to launch special attacks. His long blunt arms used for physical attacking.

If people like this Ill try and illustrate some action with him.

Oh haha, NOW I see it had a face all the time. And I guess all those tentacles (except for the short pair in the front) are the limbs, correct?
The short pair at the front are the "hands", as they have no "plugs" on the end of them. The rest are just he standard man-o-war tentacles (ie they just drift below and shock shit when they touch something). And the knobbly little limb-like things on the body control a polar charge across the body of it and supply power to the tentacles with "plugs".

I'm having trouble making my design anything more than generic, anyone got any ideas as to how I could go about it? =/

Really liking the uniqueness of Cartoon's and Sentret's submissions, has to be my top contenders. Aragon's shrimp just seems like a prevo to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)