CAP 10 CAP 10 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
my first post on the site...

mmn, jellyfish inspired jester of sorts
i imagine it using it's wit to toy with the other pokemon, countering its moves.
the spikes on the body are used to conduct electricity and attack. the tentacles are like arms :]

btw, don't mind the crappy quality of the image...i'm a spriter. i work best in the small scale hehe

A quick design I threw together - mostly just to get back in the artistic mood. :P It's very unlikely that I'll use this as my final submission. Also, the really weird colour scheme is an attempt by me to portray the Water/Electric type combo without blue and yellow, and as you can see, it didn't quite work. :(

aragornbird said:
Here's the Shrimp again. I am undecided as to which pose to use.
I particularly like the bottom two poses. The tusks really detract from the overall feel of the design, if you ask me.

aragornbird: I like the top-left pose the best for sure. The colors you had at the beginning worked but I think you have a lot of room to work there as the design holds its own. Also, I like the tentacles much better now.

taicho: I know you are only allowed one final submission but unless you think it is a waste of time you might want to explore the turtle, dolphin, and cucumber and see what happens. (My favorite is turtle though.)

Scampy: I like it a lot. I think the shell is fine conceptually but is wanting more color.

my first post on the site...
-image-
mmn, jellyfish inspired jester of sorts
i imagine it using it's wit to toy with the other pokemon, countering its moves.
the spikes on the body are used to conduct electricity and attack. the tentacles are like arms :]

btw, don't mind the crappy quality of the image...i'm a spriter. i work best in the small scale hehe
This is my favorite in the whole thread. The entire scope is coming together rather nicely though. Many good works as always.

hark and chomzloh with a cool new submission combo!

The jellyfish jester is a strong design that uses visual puns to merge the two concepts. Electric is sort of the recessive gene of visual indicators; not every Electric Pokemon has lightning bolts coming out of their ass, so don't be too concerned with it not looking the right type. That said, I can see where people might jump right to 'Dark' and I think it has something to do with the kind of washed out, pastel colours you used. Perhaps brighten it up a bit so as to invoke the absolutely beautiful palette you can find in jellyfish and creatures of every scale and size in the sea.

Chomzloh, I think that's a really great submission. It's a well-balanced, appealing design, and it just looks 'right'. I hope people don't overlook it just because it's not some far out concept, but rather, it's something quite regular, a fish, done very well. I look forward to whatever final design you feel led to.

Vulkan, it's not a bad illustration, but I find it lacks severely in character, or at least, visual interest. Up the marketability a little bit with some features we can associate a personality to, even if the target personality is stoic and reserved.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp268/chomzloh/cap10firstdesign.jpg

A quick design I threw together - mostly just to get back in the artistic mood. :P It's very unlikely that I'll use this as my final submission. Also, the really weird colour scheme is an attempt by me to portray the Water/Electric type combo without blue and yellow, and as you can see, it didn't quite work. :(
I concur with Cartoons -- I really like this design, Chomzloh! I'm glad you aren't getting crazy with extreme design elements, like some of the designs in this thread. I know water has been done to death ingame, and it is very hard to do something original, without getting extreme. But sometimes a straightforward design is the right approach, and I think you have done that very well with this design. I also appreciate how you didn't do a standard blue & yellow color scheme. Good job!

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks to Maci12 and Banryu for their comments!
I have the complete evolutive line for the stormcloud:

Basic Pokemon:
http://th01.deviantart.net/fs41/300W/f/2009/046/d/2/Mallowind_by_TheBlueFlames.jpg

1st Stage:
http://th06.deviantart.net/fs40/300W/i/2009/045/5/3/Stormallow_by_TheBlueFlames.jpg

Fully evolved:
http://th07.deviantart.net/fs41/300W/i/2009/049/4/a/Zeustorm_by_TheBlueFlames.jpg

Also I'm working in a third concept and remaking the Jellyfish
I do like this design, it looks simple and beautiful at the same time. Very good work.

chomzloh's design is amazing too, the color and the form are great. This and stormcloud are the ones that I like the most between all.

I came up with this little guy:

Inspired by the structure of a water molecule. The two hydrogen nuclei comprise the "hands", using one of the hydrogen's electrons and one of the electrons shared with the oxygen nucleus (the head/body) as "fingers" for each. The remaining electrons float just above the "head", which is encompassed in an "orbital shell". Atoms and molecules are very much electrical, and overall these in particular come together to create water! I just tried to think of something that wasn't a fish/dolphin/amphibian/whatever.

It's pretty rough and simplistic, but if I get any good feedback I'll pretty it up with what photoshop skills I possess. :p

Hello again! I wasn't going to do another concept, but I like squids and thought it would be a good idea :D

Squids are very clever and have lots of tentacles, plus two arms :0
I thought this would make it versatile. Also, it could use the pads at the ends of it's two arms to grab things and shock them :]
The light bulb is there for two reasons, electricity, and as a symbol of smartiness.
Also, I have a strange obsession with light bulbs :S

It's very, very rough, and I did it very quickly. The colour scheme is too obvious I feel, so I might change it, but only if people like it :]

andrea

/me cresselias
@aragornbird- I like the shrimp best without the tentacle/feelers on its face. They're kinda crowded in there a bit.

@Chomzloh- definitely one of my favorite submissions. I love the color scheme and simplicity. It looks fantastic!

@Caladbolg- I really like your stormcloud design as well. It looks very nice. The gray cloud is really colored beautifully.

@pkmn-taicho321- your tortoise and dolphin designs are definitely my favorite out of the bunch.

@scampy- Wow. I love the water globe-ish design. Definitely different from the other entries- and its cute ^_^

Hello again! I wasn't going to do another concept, but I like squids and thought it would be a good idea :D

*pic*

Squids are very clever and have lots of tentacles, plus two arms :0
I thought this would make it versatile. Also, it could use the pads at the ends of it's two arms to grab things and shock them :]
The light bulb is there for two reasons, electricity, and as a symbol of smartiness.
This is a damn good idea. I'm not sold on the lightbulb being the entire head, as bulbs are infamously fragile and CAP10 is supposed to take hits, but you've got yourself a great concept here and I'd love to see you take it further.

I think that maybe a couple of things about the design could be changed to better represent its intelligence. You should definitely try out different variations of eyes, the ones you have at the moment are sorta goofy and don't fit too well with the concept you have. For the pose, perhaps he could have one of his tentacles scratching his "chin" to show he is deep in thought? These are just examples, but I think you have a nice idea here that can be molded into a prime candidate for CAP10's winning art entry.

Hark's entry also catches my eye, it's a very solid design that is both appealing and natural. It's a bit like Chomzloh's in that it's distinctive without really having to rely upon a gimmick. Props to both of you for breaking away from the blue/yellow colour scheme, too.

Cyzir's rendition of Kinesta is great too haha. Very speical

I think the Stormcloud is fantastic-- thinking about it, and it just looks like something capable of using rapid spin and whirlwind. I think it could be rainier though, just to emphasize the fact that it is also a water-type.

Another thing about the Stormcloud design is that it lends itself very nicely flavourwise to Levitate which so many people appear to have been backing as an ability for this CAP.

Also, loving the cleverness of hydrogen molecule design.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Oh wow, a bunch of strong entries are starting to crop up. I'm really liking Scampy's Water Glob and Hark's Jester. The lightbulb squid also shows a lot of promise. I'm working on a very big project right now, one that prevents me from focusing too much on CaP, but as soon as it's done I'll be able to flesh out my other ideas. I managed to alter and clean up Kinesta v2 a bit though~.

I think espacially Hark's design is really fun. It strays away from the standard fish designs but still gives off a watery/electricy feeling.
Chomzloh's design is the only fish so far I feel that actually came stepping out of a pokemon cartridge. It has a really nice pokemon feel to it. Good work!

Thank you very much for your criticism, I agree with everything ^_^

I tried to make it look more squiddyish, rounder eyes, lower-down the head. I also liked the idea of it being in deep thought, so I tried reposing it a bit :]

You're right on it being more defensive, so I'll come up with something to make it less 'fragile'.

Thankies ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)