CAP 10 CAP 10 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just a reminder for those of you that don't know: Art doesn't affect movepool, stats, or ability at all. Draw whatever you want, however you want. Don't worry about having hands and stuff (Wooper DynamicPunch!).

Give it hands, so it gets the much needed elemental punches.
Wooper can learn Ice Punch. it doesn't need hands.

Anyways, I'm getting in on this.
(EDIT: updated design)

Design concept:
based off a Jelly fish, and a little girl on the beach in her summer dress. This Pokemon is female only. they swim in shallow water near beaches to absorb energy from the sun (which is absorbed through her "dress") which is how they generate electricity. after a full day of absorbing energy, they are often time strong enough to walk on land.

@Taicho, your last design is my favorite. The sea turtle/scorpion design is brilliant. I would love to see it fleshed out

The only problem I have with most of these is that they are all "yet-another-badass-looking-CAP". Needless to say, I'm quite partial to electric shrimp.

Sweet Jesus, 3 pages?! You guys are artistic BEASTS. Here is my modest entry:

The orbs on his spikes thingys absorb electricity. He is actually pretty lumbering like a salamander, yet cunning like an eel. I'm probably gonna add shading and sthe such, but I have so much going on.

When I saw what you all have entered so far, I knew I had to whip up something creative quickly. Because of that, I looked upon the marine creatures you all and Game Freak have made yet, and found one beast that was so humble not even Game Freak has used it (unless they're just being WAY too leakproof with Gen V.) I looked upon it, gave it pity, and took it home to doctor up...

The result was tremendously powerful...capable of calling upon its mighty weapons to blast holes in anything it needed to counter, able to feed itself so long as it breathed, and the literal exemplar of something designed to take damage, I bring you...

THE SNIPONGE!

-Torterra-Infernape-Feraligatr-

wow,cool arts! this is my entry:

is based on a grey heron.since this CAP is electric/water,i pick an electric creature and add some water elements. the heron is a fast and powerful predator (electric),and live near the water (water).

since is a bird,he can learn some flying moves but can also learn fight moves (the "heron" is a type of kung-fu moves.)

support material:
http://i42.tinypic.com/64jfpi.png (original design with various sketch)

These are my favorites so far:
I like this design a lot (I seem to always like your CAP designs =P), and the rain drop head is a good idea. However, outside of the head, the design seems more Ghost/Electric. I wouldn't know exactly how to rectify it; changing some colors around doesn't make sense because the submission is based on a storm cloud. Maybe adding some drops of rain falling from it would give it a Water-type feel. That's just my two cents though. Great job as always, it looks like official art to me!
I like this one a lot too, and its definitely my favorite out of your potential designs. Its a cool concept, but I think you should bring the Electric aspect out a little more; it is present in the eyes and the tail, but otherwise Water dominates it. Again, like I said with Caladabolg's piece, I don't know exactly how you might go about it, but I think that you would have an easier time changing colors than would he, so maybe that's something to experiment with. Good job =]

^ Agreed. I also really like Caladbolg's piece, but the biggest problem I have with it is that it screams of resemblance to Castform. =\ Although, it IS really nicely-drawn and clean and stuff, and definitely LOOKS like a Pokemon.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Thanks to Maci12 and Banryu for their comments!
I have the complete evolutive line for the stormcloud:

Basic Pokemon:

1st Stage:

Fully evolved:

Also I'm working in a third concept and remaking the Jellyfish

@Caladbolg~: I'd say lose the lightningbolts in the 'hands'. The storm cloud alone gives one the sense of an electrical storm. I feel it takes away from the piece and makes it more cartoony than it needs to be.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Well, I tried. My inspiration is from the Dumbo octopus, which are only found in the dark depths of the ocean. Obviously mine only has 4 legs, but I tried. I'm wondering if I should add antenae or not.

My medium was actually just regular Paint, that you'll find on any computer. I suck at drawing, and I don't have MS Paint, so I tried my best with this.

C&C appreciated, this is a WIP, so just go gentle please. ;)

The gray stuff in the middle are supposed to be clouds...

Last edited:
Just something to say. Don't quote whole images in your post, it's unnessessary. The picture's already been posted once you don't need to do it again. Use a url instead. Much cleaner.

Thanks, oh and if you do this past this point you'll be infracted. Yeah, you've been warned.

I saw this... And I was just like "this seems so goddamn familiar..."
I thought "Electric... Didn't he post this in Cap 8?" So I did a quick search, and, I found this. You did make this a long time ago. o.o

Not complaining or anything, it's a pretty cool concept, bit personally, this nostalgia is just making a little tick in my head say "it looks Electric/Dragon-Type" (Or maybe Electric/Dark-Type).
...Even when your post infers it wasn't originally so in the first place... I'm just crazy, I think.

I'm only addressing the concepts I liked the most, as there's too many to properly evaluate.

@Caladborg~: It seems to be slightly inspired by Castform, from my opinion. A ThunderDance Castform. Which, IMO, is cool. Still, if no-one else saw that, that's epic cool. I love Castform, so it's a compliment, not a criticism.
Oh, similar to how certain Pokemon suggest a tertiary typing, such as Gyarados is a "Dragon" Pokemon, this suggests tertiary Flying type to me. That's no bad thing - after all, Gyarados reinforces the image of being a Dragon Pkmn with it's ability to learn Fire Blast, Thunder and DD.

@pkmn-taicho321: I prefer, of all the submissions you've made so far, the Sea Cucumber. It's original, and it looks quite good. But I agree with an earlier assessment, in that it's main colouring looks a little off, and that sea-green may look better.

@aragornbird: That's just awesome. A kick-ass shrimp slaughtering millions.
Seriously though, that's a winning concept - it has the appearance of being able to use Physical and Special moves without seeming ridiculous. It also has a fairly Pkmn feel to it, not looking too evolved either - which sometimes seems to be a problem with new Pokemon, both GameFreak-made and fan-made.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus

New version for Jellyfish:

Bigger helmet [more like a Light Bulb... with a pale face]
Cute, Tiny Body, connectors arms, better color-scheme IMO.

What do you think?

Also, I made the Stormcloud like a year ago. It resembles Castform, yes... but I tried to use the same concept to get something different. It's like Ekans/Seviper or Squirtle/Torkoal/Turtwig.

EDIT: I added shadows and light.

Cap10: Drown Rat Pokemon

While it looks frail, ship captains and exterminators alike know these "Weavile of the Sea" to be MUCH more resilient than they seem.

It is said to only hunt one type of prey at a time. While it can train itself to become perfect at catching nearly any type of prey, it will be more clumsy at catching any other sort of prey.

Aragornbird: Your shrimp is AMAZING, and at this point easily my favorite. I cannot wait for an updated version of it!

Caladbog: I am loving your original "jellyfish" entry. But, the new colored version is not quite as good as your second entry. I feel as if the shape of the uncolored revision is almost perfect, and I would prefer a different color scheme. Regarding the stormcloud concept, to me it feels as though you are attempting to make it too cute and yet too angry at the same time, which really leaves it undesirable. I love the prevos, but I feel as if the jellyfish entry is much more deserving of your time.

Cartoons: Although your poke does not succeed in the slightest at being badass, it is just so darn cute and original that it has certainly garnered my support :) Keep up the great work.

EDIT: I missed P_K's design completely. Please color it, because you are now tying Aragornbird for my favorite entry!

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
All my support goes to CyzirVisheen's Kinesta v2
seconded.
Also, Caladbolg~, I swear to god I have seen that before. Was it just sitting in your art thread and you figured it fit the water/electric typing, or am I just a lunatic?

seconded.
Also, Caladbolg~, I swear to god I have seen that before. Was it just sitting in your art thread and you figured it fit the water/electric typing, or am I just a lunatic?
No, turns out Calad submitted it for both CAP8 and has had it lurking in his Art Thread too. Doesn't diminish the design in any way, but you are correct in seeing it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)