CAP 11 CAP 11 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had some trouble thinking of concepts for this CAP, since Dark/Fighting is a pretty vague typing in that it could be pretty much anything, but I ended up with this 'thief monkey':

I'm not sure what to do with the tail, any suggestions? The entire design could use some more Fighting-influence, too. Maybe I should bulk him up a bit, haha.

Uhh, this Dark/Fighting has been given me some headaches. Here's a rough sketch with generic concepts:

Swarm me with your thoughts.

@BinarySolo
Personally i think it looks a bit tooo much like monferno. maybe give some bulk to it and give it some cooler darker flames. it needs some cool colors as well :P

@Seewell
I think it needs a more kinda Fighting aspect to it.

@Kukem
I seriously love this design, though it needs more Fighting-Dark to it. if you can do that, my vote is yours :P ALSO DO MORE MOVE SKETCHES :D

@Buffalo Wings: I really like your design, I think it perfectly encompasses both types and is very different to what else is going on. Very original and generally awesome design, my favourite so far.

@SEO: Great stuff generally, worth it purely on the cool factor so far, I love this design. My main criticism atm is that it's a bit neither here nor there in terms of typing, but I think if you tried to give it too much personality it would take away from the slightly ghostly mysterious quality it has. Would work exceptionally well as a sort of lower status leggie, like Heatran or Cress.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
puffinhour, boxing walrus? seal? i'd love to get a better look!

alix13, i agree that at the moment it does look very dark (and maybe dark rock) how about raising it up onto its hind legs and bulking up its torso? don't worry about giving it "staple fighting features" etc, people get too hung up on that and colour schemes. if you just make it look brawly, i think fighting as a type would be entirely believable

@Swaggersaurus: Sorry, but your design looks a lot like Lucario. I think it has potential, but if cpkmax1108's rooster supposedly looked like Blaziken (which I disagree with), then I think this one definitely looks like Lucario.
alright, thanks for the feedback

could you be a little more specific? when designing a human-shape dog pokemon, i knew that this would be a risk. i looked at mewtwo, lucario and zoroark, which of all have quite a similar look to them, especially the latter two, and though i knew that's the road i would have to go down "pokemon shape" wise, i don't want to just be regurgiating their design

do you have any suggestions about veering away from that look? something more ninja-esque around the legs/waist perhaps to give it a unique feel?

thanks!

Oh, that could be really cool! You know, if I kept the puny little hind legs, and then the tail could be used as a weapon as well>

Hell yeah, a sketch I actually put effort into!

It's a ninja rabbit/kangaroo! I sorta want it to keep the big rabbit ears, but I'm worried they make it look too much like Lopunny. What do you think?

I think as long as the ears are tied up, it should be enough of a difference. Maybe keep the ears dangling down behind it, like a ponytail.

Also, I'm not sure how the bandages on the tail look, seems sorta of odd to me. It doesn't fit with the other band-style markings that you have included.

Apart from those things, I really like this idea. Obviously fighting, maybe just need to do something to emphasis the Dark typing a bit more. Solid concept though, I want to see this finished.

@SEO: Good work again.....but where are its eyes? 0_o I can imagine them being hidden by shadow in the original pose....but I still miss them, at least in the new pose.

@GraffnTrix: Lol, I like its horns, especially the middle one (reminds me of the top of a christmas tree). *makes your day*

Im loving the Lemur styled design from Seawell. The only suggestion i'd have is to make it look a little more "buff".The other one which I really like is chomzloh's design, I cant wait to see it in colour.

I'd REALLY like some comments on mine, because I feel its missing some Fighting type-ness:) Any suggestions are great

At the moment it just looks like Rock/Dark...

Yeah, the only real formula for making it semi-believable as fighting is that it HAS to be bi-pedal. Get him up on those hind legs and you will have gone a long way.

I think the darkness of the shade of brown you use plays a large part in that. Notice how Pokemon tend to use lighter colors, even those that are obviously black. Lighten up the brown a few shades, use the same red that Darkrai uses for your eyes/claws, and try on something a little more vibrant for the white/cream undertone the badger has. I think those color shifts will be a huge boon for your design.

First off, I don't intend to submit anything to this CAP as I'm just lurking to get an idea of how the process works. However, there are so many great designs here and I wanted to recognise what I think are the best of them.

SEO's is my favourite at the moment, It suggests both types while not being to overt with either. It also looks like it could handle physical and special moves equally well, which suits the way the stats are looking to go far better than if it leant towards one side of the spectrum. I also think it looks fantastic, and the colour scheme for me is perfect.

Caladbolg~'s clown is another brilliant design, which for me is saying a lot since I usually despise clowns. The move drawings of it are great, I can't wait to see them in colour. As has previously been mentioned, I don't think the yellow on it works that well with the Dark type, but other than that it's excellent. It also looks like a mixed attacker in my head.

Finally, Darkmattr's demon-looking thing (can't think of a better way to describe it) and ckpmax1108's badger are both absolute badasses and fit the typings really well. EDIT: I agree with Rising Dusk, those changes would make Badger even better than it already is.

My only problem with this section of this CAP is that only one design can win. There's some truly outstanding art in here and it's a shame most of it won't be used for CAP11.

It's a little out of the blue, and i'll fine-tune it at some point, how about a vampire-based concept? Just a rough sketch to show my thoughts.

For the people that actually want to see more of my artistry.

I revamped A to have the tail and ears match the upper color, making look less like its wearing a shirt:
A

Also D and E

B and C are here:http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2834209&postcount=288
Which one looks the best, colors wise?

Attack art:

Backstory:
"Shazman," the trophy-seeking Pokemon. These pokemon are known to go after big threats to gain a prize of its victory. Bugs and Avians are the "Shazman's" main diet, consisting of Nincada, Pidgey, and Caterpie mostly. Zapdos are these types favored prey, using there large range of tactics to destroy these larger, more legendary avians. Scizor is the next prey, as they are an honorable warrior and a feat to fight. Defeating this foe causes great joy in the "Shazman" communities.
A 'treat' to a "Shazman" are Spinarak and Ariados, and Paras and Parasect. The poison that consists in the Spinarak family is a tasty treat to any "Shazman" as it drifts deeply into poison sacs in its stomach, the sour-liquid can be regurgitated if necessary. On the other side, the delectable tochukasu mushrooms are loved by all "Shazman," and tribes will fight over Paras family grounds. Ranks can be told by the Spinarak/Ariados crest that they wear.
However, "Shazman" can not do everything by themselves, partnering with Togekiss colonies, caring for the young Togepi, and teaching Focus Punch, Drain Punch, and Brick Break classes to lower Togetic and Togekiss. Since Togekiss are not much of an avian but more of a fairy, Togekiss meat taste awful to a "Shazman," making it more beneficial to the two species to help one another than to fight amongst themselves.
The partnership is know of legends, taking down most threats to the tribal-colonies with much ease.

Thank you for your time. :D

alright, thanks for the feedback

could you be a little more specific? when designing a human-shape dog pokemon, i knew that this would be a risk. i looked at mewtwo, lucario and zoroark, which of all have quite a similar look to them, especially the latter two, and though i knew that's the road i would have to go down "pokemon shape" wise, i don't want to just be regurgiating their design

do you have any suggestions about veering away from that look? something more ninja-esque around the legs/waist perhaps to give it a unique feel?

thanks!
Well, the main things that remind of Lucario are the legs and cream colored middle area. Just looking at pictures side by side, I looks like you ripped them off, which I am sure was unintentional. My suggestion would be to change the cream color to something else, and perhaps try to make it a little more dark looking. As for the legs I'm not too sure what to change, but the way it looks like your guy is wearing shorts makes it look very similar to Lucario.

@Seewell-I would lower the left arms fur color by an inch, it just doesn't look right to me, and try to throw some more fighting type in there. Maybe bandages or a fighting pose?

@Zakki- I saw the color schemes you made before too. None of them scremed "This is the one" perhaps make the monkey one specific color and add some tribal makeup?

@Fajironri- I really liked the idea of one of those boxing kangaroos, I am not liking the stuff on the face though, and the way he is sitting on the tail doesnt seem natural. He just kind of looks like a normal type, maybe if you really emphisize boxing gloves on his hands and give him some dark markings and a sinister smile.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, the main things that remind of Lucario are the legs and cream colored middle area. Just looking at pictures side by side, I looks like you ripped them off, which I am sure was unintentional. My suggestion would be to change the cream color to something else, and perhaps try to make it a little more dark looking. As for the legs I'm not too sure what to change, but the way it looks like your guy is wearing shorts makes it look very similar to Lucario.
i think to say the design looks "ripped off" is a pretty unfair critique. i've had a lot of positive feedback on the colour scheme and i hardly think cream fur is a an attribute people primarily associate with lucario

the legs i have been looking to find an alternative for, but nothing satisfactory has come up thus far, and nobody seems to have any suggestions on what would make an improvement

@Zakki- I saw the color schemes you made before too. None of them scremed "This is the one" perhaps make the monkey one specific color and add some tribal makeup?
Were thinking more of the Purple, brown or Black as the solid color. Also can you be more specific with the tribal makeup?

I'm updating with a quick lineart of my design, just so I have something that looks clean compared to the rough sketch I posted before. I'm not really familiar with any sort of digital art program, so I apologize if it looks horrible.

I'm fairly sure I'll be keeping the general form of this Pokemon roughly the same while I tinker about with its design, but I know for sure I'll be giving the arms a good look at - they still look too much like a gorilla's to me. I intended for the Pokemon's posture to be similar to a gorilla's, but I'm not looking for as much similarity when it comes to the arms. I also think they look a bit bare at the moment so I'll be trying a few add-ons as well.

I like the design itself. It maintains a sense of simplicity that pokemon designs should have. The problem I have with it though is that I am having a hard time finding the typing. I'm sure that the dark typing will come along with with the colors, but I really feel that you should make your design more fighting-ish.
I think this probably stems from my decision to think a bit more out-of-the-box for this design compared to most. When I sat down to brainstorm design ideas for a Fighting/Dark type I decided that it would be very easy and unoriginal to just come up with a bipedal human-shaped Pokemon to fit the bill, so I resolved to come up with something a bit more creative (this isn't meant as any disrespect toward anyone's human-shaped designs, there are a lot of really good ones!).

The thing is, the Fighting-type and Dark-type are both fairly ambiguous and versatile as far as their designs go. They don't have any concrete unifying characteristics like types such as Rock and Bug do. They are among a group of a few types that are, more often than not, up to one's own interpretation. Since both of this Pokemon's types are among that group, it leaves a lot to the designer's imagination.

For the most part, Dark-types' only unifying characteristic is that they look fairly menacing, although there are lots of other Pokemon that could be Dark-type on that basis (such as Granbull, Gengar, etc) and some that are Dark-type but aren't intimidating (Sableye, Umbreon, etc). I think my design looks sinister enough to play the part of the Dark-type, and as you say, the colors will help with that. And as far as Fighting-types go, the general consensus is that they must look either bulky or scrappy - that is to say they either have muscle mass (Poliwrath, Machamp) or are designed so they look like they'd have a propensity to get in fights (Primeape, Medicham). Again, these characteristics aren't exclusive to the Fighting-type so the guidelines we have aren't exactly clear. Anyway, I'm trying to portray the Fighting-type in my design's massive muscular forearms, although as I said before, they aren't looking quite like what I want them to yet. So while I'll admit that my design doesn't look a lot like many established Pokemon of similar types, I think the characteristics it has fit well with its types.

Anyway, I'll continue working on this design. I am actually dreading the point when it comes to adding color to the design because while I am no stranger to the pencil I am not familiar with any digital art programs so I don't really know how to color any digital art well. If there's anyone who can point me in the right direction for a good program to use and maybe give me some beginner tips that would be great.

And now I'll finish up by saying that I'm really enjoying this project so far and there are so many good designs going around! I can't wait to see everyone's finished designs!

Here are a couple of sketches that I made for fun this morning. I'm sorry if they are kind of rough, if you guys like any of them in particular I'd be happy t o color them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)