CAP 4 CAP 4 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicely done Atyroki, very nicely done.

I myself am working on a front sprite, it should come soon hopefully.

Can I ask a question? Is this supposed to have 6 arms, or 8? Because in the first draft, it has 6, while the others have 8. This is moderately important, because of how I'm going to place the arms. And to add to that, are the middle arm/s the ones that it doesn't use to walk?

I have finished my front sprites:

I chose to opt for making its hands/arms smaller without making them look too different(I hope), because it doesn't really look right to me when its head is so small. Just so no one is disorientated by the arms, The ones on its left(your right) are (from back to front) as follows:Standing flat, reaching out, standing flat(facing front), underground. The ones on its right from b-f are:Standing flat, up in a fist, standing on fist, underground. The gender differences are that the male has a larger spike on its underside and the female has rings around its wrists. Shiny colors=golden armor+bloody spikes=win. Hoping for some feedback before I start the backsprites.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't really like the shiny pallet that much tbh. The sprites are amazing, but the shiny just doesn't do it for me. Maybe something a bit Darker, like KoA's shiny pallet from Pyroak.

I don't really like the shiny pallet that much tbh. The sprites are amazing, but the shiny just doesn't do it for me. Maybe something a bit Darker, like KoA's shiny pallet from Pyroak.
I disagree. I like the shiny more than the non-shiny; the lighter colors make it seem less cluttered.

Oh my lord. If I have to draw one more hand i'm going to crack O_o;; Just kidding. This is a quick design with basic colours. I'm going to take a break before working any more on it.

Getting all the hands in there was difficult. I had to shift a few around though the basic four on the ground stayed pretty much the same throughout. I didn't try the popular hands in the ground and focused on getting the free hands to express different emotions. The proportions of this is closer to the animation than the actual picture.

I'll wait for some feedback. My hand hurts after messing with this in MS paint for an hour.

I think i'll work on reposing the fist and the leftmost hand on the ground next then work with colours. Sine it's such a complex design it's harder to get highlights to work well.

I love Wyverii's. Well, I like all of them actually. Every design has come out amazing so far.

I think I'll compare them all to pokemon in a later post for my own reference.

Wyverii, that's amazing! Frankly anyone who can sprite this is pretty damn good at what they're doing. I wish I had your abilities.

Ah, I really like Wyverii's.
But does it have eight arms?
I see six...unless two are obscured slightly, which I think might be the case.

Yes, you're right omgthatkid. The two furthest back are slightly obscured and much smaller than the others (due to perspective). Having all eight on full show would be nothing short of awkward but one of them will be a bit clearer after I mess with the fisted hand a bit.

Wyverii, that's an awesome submission. Great work!

I've been pondering the Daddy Long Legs (DLL from here on out) since it became apparent that he'd be the design. I don't know if a post like this is illegal or not for this thread, but if it is, feel free to delete it.

So here's some things to think about when you're spriting.

DLL's a hands guy. That's easily apparent. That's really what people voted on here, the hands. That's what made him look like a "utility" Pokemon, whatever utility Pokemon are supposed to look like.

The funny thing about hands is that they're highly expressive. They're very human, and the way they're positioned expresses a lot. Hell, we have an entire hand-language. We understand hands. A fist shows aggression, an open hand the opposite. The way in which you position him and his hands is going to change the way he's going to come across.

Look at the original picture:

His hands are in fists and coming towards you. It's aggressive, and physically so. The same goes for the stance. He looks like he's going to jump at you. That's why a lot of people were complaining about the high Special Attack, compared to the lower Attack. It's all in the positioning.

Compare that to something like this:

Suddenly the very same design becomes far less aggressive, far more mystical, and the Special Attack fits better. I didn't change a single aspect of the Pokemon, I just changed the body language. Another plus to something like this is that the image becomes a lot more square, and thus easier to fit in the sprite restrictions. The little gem thing on his forehead kinda fits with the whole Hindu god thing going on here too.

By shrinking the arms just a little, the body becomes a lot larger in relation. That was also an issue with the original picture; it looked too frail. By sucking in the arms a bit, the body becomes larger and sturdier in comparison. The super long arms and itty bitty body just look waaay too breakable, and don't fit the defenses.

Another thing you might want to play with is those wrist band thingies. Change that part of the color scheme to something like gold or whatever, and they turn in shackles, like the ones worn by Disney's Genie, which again pulls in more mystical attributes.

I also really like the idea that the DLL can retract his arms. One reason I've already stated; it allows the size relation between body and arms to change, making the Pokemon look less frail. Here's another one:

By retracting its arms all of the way, its hands and spikes can completely protect it, rationalizing those awesome defenses we gave it. Meanwhile it could still, at any moment, pop out those massive arms and slap around an opponent.

All I'm getting at it play around with the concept. You guys get creative license with it.

Good luck everyone!

The mystical posing you have pictured have always had connections (for me) with fighting and psychic types. By its very nature this Pokemon regardless of how inclined to the special side he is is a poison/ground type and i've never seen a ground type that hasn't had some form of aggression in it.

My choice was, instead of focusing on the fact that it tends toward special was to display a range of different emotions using its hands to show its utility nature. One is in a fist, an aggressive physical action. One is an open palm, a defensive motion to protect that body and others. One is shaped as a mock gun, a playful motion and sign of its special attacks (must mind to position that a bit further to the right). Finally, one is in the thumbs up position, a sign of helpfulness and well-being. The other four are grounded and provide a sign of stability in amongst those chaotic hands.

Wow, didn't expect to explain myself but there you are. xD I hope you guys now know that I put a lot of thought into that pose.

I hope you guys now know that I put a lot of thought into that pose.
And it shows. Really great posing, Wyverii. The stance has a stable bottom half and a kinetic top. Understandably, all those arms and hands must be a challenge for any spriter, so I'm really impressed about all the ideas you managed to put through.

Absolution, can I borrow that pose?
Of course. Anyone can borrow anything from my post. That's why I posted it :)

The mystical posing you have pictured have always had connections (for me) with fighting and psychic types.
I can definitely understand Psychic, but I don't know what you're getting Fighting from.

By its very nature this Pokemon regardless of how inclined to the special side he is is a poison/ground type and i've never seen a ground type that hasn't had some form of aggression in it.
Quagsire? Wiscash? Claydol? Gastrodon?

When its a duotypes, where the second type is more dominant, and the purpose isn't strickly attacking (unlike most generic ground types), it doesn't seem to be very aggressive. That fits this Pokemon like a glove. Not to mention this guy's face, which is as nonthreatening as you can get.

My choice was, instead of focusing on the fact that it tends toward special was to display a range of different emotions using its hands to show its utility nature. One is in a fist, an aggressive physical action. One is an open palm, a defensive motion to protect that body and others. One is shaped as a mock gun, a playful motion and sign of its special attacks (must mind to position that a bit further to the right). Finally, one is in the thumbs up position, a sign of helpfulness and well-being. The other four are grounded and provide a sign of stability in amongst those chaotic hands.
I actually noticed most of that (though I didn't connect the open palm to defense, nice idea).

Definitely a great sprite all around, Wyverii, I'm certainly not argueing against that at all.

My previous post was just saying that the positioning of the body could drastically change how this guy is perceived due to all the hands, and that different body language might fit his stats a little more. I wasn't saying your sprite was bad at all.

Hmm? I wasn't really arguing against you or thought you were attacking my sprite. I just thought I needed to explain why I preferred my more mixed pose to your zen one in order to justify it in the wake of your excellent argument. My job as an artist is to make sure that i'm portraying something correctly. (By the way, everything except Gastrodon isn't special based in that list, at least I think, i'll have to check. >>;)

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Body positioning in the sprite makes a huge difference. For example, if it was flipping you off while holding another hand in a fist, another hand in a gang sign, and another hand in a gun, you would think it's agressive. However if you put out open palms and hands together in prayer, it's peaceful. Wyverii does a good job of mixing them together.

EDIT: Quagsire is the only Physically based one.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Oh my lord. If I have to draw one more hand i'm going to crack O_o;; Just kidding. This is a quick design with basic colours. I'm going to take a break before working any more on it.

Getting all the hands in there was difficult. I had to shift a few around though the basic four on the ground stayed pretty much the same throughout. I didn't try the popular hands in the ground and focused on getting the free hands to express different emotions. The proportions of this is closer to the animation than the actual picture.

I'll wait for some feedback. My hand hurts after messing with this in MS paint for an hour.

I think i'll work on reposing the fist and the leftmost hand on the ground next then work with colours. Sine it's such a complex design it's harder to get highlights to work well.
Bravo, Wyverii! It's good to see the reigning "Sprite Queen of the CAP Project" is in the race. Beautifully posed picture. Your hands are more "puffy" than the others, which has positives and negatives. It makes the hands less expressive, but it also makes the sprite look more "pokemon-like". I didn't get that the top hand was pointing like a finger-gun, until you pointed it out in your explanation. Maybe only one finger pointing would be clearer? Since there are only three fingers per hand, it's tough to show certain human-hand shapes. Also, the drill bit isn't distiguishable on your sprite. I think this could really help add more "ground" to your sprite, if you can work it in. Plus it makes Rapid Spin much more obvious.

Overall a fantastic sprite. I knew you would make something brilliant, and you came through wonderfully!

Also, the drill bit isn't distinguishable on your sprite. I think this could really help add more "ground" to your sprite, if you can work it in. Plus it makes Rapid Spin much more obvious.
They changed the drill to a spike because people said it made it look too machine like. It's slightly ironic since it already looked like a mechanical spider/harvestmen to begin with. Being mechanical looking isn't a problem because it allow me to use the helicopter trick to explain Rapid Spin.

No offense but this design isn't looking Poison at all... It does look Ground but just adding purple colours doesn't make it look anything more Poison. Couldn't there be some sort of poisonous smoke coming out of it's behind or something? Or maybe some of its hands? Just so people will think it's a Poison type.

Just thought I'd point out that the original pick seemed to have a flavor that it could also attack from underground, but none of the sprites so far have had anything hitting on that. Just reminding anyone who actually CAN sprite, because alas, I can not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)