CAP 4 CAP 4 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Repositioned the gun and fist hands to make it look more balanced. I tried curling two fingers instead of one for the gun shape but it looked too much of an "aha" expression rather than a mock gun. I changed the spike on it's tail to more of a drill as per request but like always i've kept the original tail in case I need to change it back. (You should see my work area, holy crap, it's a mess!)

Still not happy with the fist. I'll probably end up bringing the elbow down and have the fist pointing upwards and sideways like the open hand.

As for the "it doesn't look like poison" argument... honestly, look at Nidoqueen and tell me you would have guessed she was a poison type from her looks alone. The fact that this is a spider of all things (or some form of arachnid) tells me that it's more of a poison element than Nidoqueen.

Still not happy with the fist. I'll probably end up bringing the elbow down and have the fist pointing upwards and sideways like the open hand.
Probably because of the thumb's placement. Make a fist, the thumb shouldn't be on the side. It should be under the fingers.

Wyverii's is amazing.

On another note, I find it funny that all of the CaP Pokemon either have no hands (Syclant, Pyroak) or massive hands (Revenankh, Daddy Long Legs).

I think the open palm would be more indicative of defense if it were more like a "Stop!" hand than a handshake hand, you know? I mean, that might draw too much attention to that hand and detract from the sprite as a whole, but as it is that hand looks really neutral to me and doesn't seem very defensive at all.

Still, wonderful sprite! Phooey to all those who said that spriting this thing would be too difficult. :D

The other sprites are also good, but... Wyverii's is much better. The sprite is very expressive, the head is visible, and the hands are each one in a different shape. Also, I like the prominent use of the color purple. I think purple is pretty much mandatory in all poison pokémon, all primary poison pokémon have some purple (or at least purplish blue) in their sprites, and many secondary poison pokémon do.

Regarding things I'd change... I'd make the fingers slightly less chubby, since right now the hands resemble more of a baseball glove than a hand. But that's basically the only thing I'm not completely satisfied with that sprite, really.

I've been lurking a bit and I really like your sprite, but one thing that bothers me beyond articulation are its bottom left ( our bottom right ) hand; it looks very awkward, especially at the thumb area.

You could perhaps fix it by bringing the thumb further back and towards the rest of the hand, or making it less chubby ( speaking of which, the open "defensive" hand is also very chubby --- try making it more like the "OK" hand or the "Bang bang" hand in thickness ) .

Other than that, great work; I think this is my favourite sprite so far.

Just so everyone knows, I'm also doing a draft. Though, I plan on posting it before it's all colored in to show my progress and so I can get tips on how to sprite the pose. I'm currently a little over halfway done (minus the evil coloring and shading).

The big hands are hard... though the hands in the background are just as annoying.

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm, I've looked through all of them and I have to say that Wyverii's is the best so far. But I do have to agree with Poopazing, nobody has yet showed a poisonous aspect to the sprite other than just putting the color purple on him. Maybe somebody could draw like a poison blob on his hand, or something of the sort to show his poison typing. The purple really just isn't cutting it, imo. I would also like to see one hand breaking through the ground, and comming out at different location, like how Cartoon drew in one of his drawings.

But still, great work all of you, I can't wait to see what other people will submit.

EDIT: Can somebody tell me what you guys are using to sprite, I would like to try an make one of these. Thanks =]

Wyverii's is amazing.

@Son of Thunder: MS paint probably.

I think it looks poison enough, besides, the art has already been decided so there's no use in arguing that.

Moreover, some may want to try it being fully burrowed underground like in Cartoons! original submission? It probably won't look very good, but who knows.

Here's an update of what I've done so far:

I based it off of the pose Cartoons had. It's one of the ones under the animations in the second post. In the picture at the bottom right he's picking up dirt, but to make this guy more poison I was thinking I'd make it sludge.

If you noticed, one of the legs is sticking into the ground, but it doesn't come back up, unlike in the picture. I couldn't figure out how to make it come back up to to my inexperience at this. The legs near the top right also aren't exactly as they should be, but I liked it more this way and it was easier to fit them into an 80 by 80 grid.

The hand near the bottom right isn't very good looking. But it was like this in the picture and I wasn't sure how it was supposed to look.

Comments would be nice.

EDIT- Please note that the legs and stuff aren't just one shade black because it helped me figure out what was what while it wasn't(and isn't) colored. It won't be like that when it is colored. Also, the outline on the eyes will just be white (which wouldn't work atm), and the dot on his head will be purple.

I will posting a sketch of a pose I am trying to work with tonight (hopefully). If someone could please critique it then I'd appreciate it.

I like Wyverii's sprite and Elevator Music's sprite the best. My only concerns with Wyverii's sprite are the brightness of the color scheme and the awkwardness of the thumbs and hands in general. In my opinion it could go a bit darker, but I have no clue on the hands reallys. I think I'll wait until EM finishes the sprite to comment on it though.

Please don't wait on comments. I can change the pose anytime if there's any problems with it. Magmortified said he'd like it if the grin was gone. What do you guys think?

And a question. How do I get something in 8-bit RBG? Better yet, what IS 8-bit RBG?

Probably not the best but hey, it's something!

To be honest, I actually like Wyverii's and what Elevator Music has so far more than mine, but who knows? :D;

I'll do the back sprites later, if anyone likes these.

Also Dane, thumb curled under a fist + punch = broken thumb. ; ;

I'll deal with the chubby hands tomorrow, it's like, past midnight for me now and I need sleep. As for the colour scheme, it's not exactly final but i'm not dulling the colours. I'm trying to go towards Nintendo's style and means bright colours. By the way Nasty Pass, I think Dane meant resting under the fingers not between them and the palm.

I fairly like Elevator Music so far, but I don't like how similar it is to what Cartoons! has done. I hope it gets changed enough.

To be honest, I actually like Wyverii's and what Elevator Music has so far more than mine, but who knows? :D;

The pose idea seems good but that hands are disproportionate to where they actually are. If the blockiness of the hands and the sizes are fixed
it can be much better. Thats all the critique I have for not, but this sprite has a lot of potential with a bit of editing.

I will be uploading my sketch shortly.

Wyverii's and Elevators Music sprites are the best to me so far. Please make the shiny more poison looking when it comes to the color palette. Neon purple and green are good colors that scream poison, a lot like the frogs and snakes you find in the amazon rain forest that have colorations that genuinely look poisonous.

The pose idea seems good but that hands are disproportionate to where they actually are. If the blockiness of the hands and the sizes are fixed
it can be much better. Thats all the critique I have for not, but this sprite has a lot of potential with a bit of editing.

Yeah, I guess they did get a bit disproportionate in my bad attempt at perspective. xD; I'd fix it now, but I can't be assed to at the mo'. :V

I think I'm going to have nightmares about those hands tonight. D:

I'm sorry for such a large image but I can't get it any smaller from my scanner. Anyways, here is my pose.

Nothing to special but hey its what I got to work with. Any suggestions?

It's not so much that the hands are disproportionate and more that they have five fingers instead of four like the drawing. If you took off the extra fingers the hands would be perfect.

Also, the colors you picked for the shiny looked a bit like vomit. Not trying to be rude, just suggesting you could pick some colors a bit less … video-game alien blood-colored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)