CAP 4 CAP 4 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Rules

1) Sprites should be inspired by the winning design from the Art Poll. It does not need to be an exact rendition of every detail of the design; "artistic license" is granted to all spriters. However, drastic deviation from the selected art design is discouraged.
2) All sprites (front and back) can have a maximum size of 80x80.
3) All sprites (front and back) must have a complete, unbroken, distinguishable outline. It does not need to be a black outline, but it must be clearly distinguishable from the adjacent interior colors of the sprite. Look at the ingame sprites for examples.
4) Sprites must be in PNG format
5) Use 8-bit truecolor (aka 8-bit RGB) or less. This does NOT mean 256 color mode.
6) Use transparent backgrounds
7) Fusions of other sprites are not allowed. All sprites must be scratch sprites.
8) Do not alter, fuse, recolor or otherwise modify another spriter's submission – unless the original artist explicitly gives permission.

Failure to follow these guidelines will result in the submission being disqualified and the post will be deleted.

Sprite submissions for the sprite poll will be selected by the me, based on preference and feedback in this thread. There is no process for overturning the my decision. If you are not comfortable with this stipulation, then do not make a sprite submission. Do not post any complaints here or in later threads.

Additional Information

There are 8 possible sprites:
Front Normal Male
Front Normal Female
Front Shiny Male
Front Shiny Female
Back Normal Male
Back Normal Female
Back Shiny Male
Back Shiny Female

In most cases, spriters submit a Front Normal sprite first. Once feedback comes in and the poll nears, they make the other sprites.

You do not have to make different Male and Female sprites, but it helps. Since there are only minute differences between most ingame male and female sprites, it’s not very hard to tweak the sprite for a different gender. Some spriters have made noticeable changes between genders, and that’s fine too.

Shinies are just recolors, so that’s not too tough. There’s lots of people that can’t scratch, that are willing to recolor your shiny, if you really don’t want to do it yourself. Just ask in the submission thread and you’ll get plenty of offers to help.

Please look at your transparent sprites against different colored backgrounds, not just white. In Shoddy, the sprite will be displayed on multiple background colors in the Team Builder and in battle.

Pure Utility Pokemon
Description: There is a serious lack of Gravity, Rapid Spin, Wish, non Dark weak Trick Room, OU viable Heal Bell / Aromatherapy, Encore, Memento, Non Dark weak Perish Song, Psycho Shift, Safeguard, Magic Coat, Me First, Snatch, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Tailwind and Haze Pokemon in our lovely Metagame. I don't know what type, what stat distribution or even what kind of Pokemon would effectively use all those, but I want to build a utility Pokemon for the useful yet less used utility moves. If I had to narrow the field a bit, I would emphasize Tailwind, Gravity, non Dark weak Trick Room, Rapid Spin, Wish and Encore. The normal utility moves like Reflect and Light Screen go without saying.
Primary Typing: Poison
Secondary Typing: Ground
Style Bias: Mixed, Between -5 and -10 -- Slightly towards defence
Build Bias: Between 5 and 10 -- Slightly towards physical
Base Stat Rating: 300 to 419 -- Very Good
Base Stat Spread: 95 / 76 / 109 / 90 / 80 / 105 = 555 Speed Last.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Imma attempt to make one soon. I'll have 2 weeks off starting Friday, so expect something from me.

THAT

WAS

AN

ORDEAL

*phew*

Subconsciously gave it the colours of Zantimonius' submission

Bottom ones are the female ones

Hard to see it's "head", but that's probably a flaw in the design moreso than the sprite. Took me a while to see the elusive two arms, but I must say I love how the one hand is giving the peace sign / scissors sign.

What's the difference between male sprite and female sprite? I'm not seeing it.

Hard to see it's "head", but that's probably a flaw in the design moreso than the sprite. Took me a while to see the elusive two arms, but I must say I love how the one hand is giving the peace sign / scissors sign.

The lines on the "wristbands".

I agree, if there is a more zoom in on the head, it'll be a very quality sprite. Otherwise, I'm super impressed that someone made such a good sprite so quickly.

Nice job with the sprite Atyroki, it looks good at the moment. The head/body does look too small but one could always say that it's was all those damn arms' fault.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Holy crap, that was fast. I agree that the head should be zoomed in a bit, but otherwise good job. Can't wait to see the other sprites.

EDIT: Yeah, the new sprites look much better. Lovin' it!

Honestly, I sized down the original drawing to 80/80, and the head was
actually SMALLER in proportion to the hands then my sprite, so if anything, the
head should be smaller (but no, cause it'd look... bad)

Edit:

This look better?

much better...but could you screw with the proportions a bit more? i don't think the community or cartoons! would mind if it wasn't as proportioned as the drawing for spriting purposes...just go a bit larger on the head still, without changing the body size too much...it's very good, way to set the pace.

Very cool, Atyroki!

Even I've been pretty inconsistent in terms of proportions, as my animations have the head slightly larger and the arms a good deal shorter. So whatever looks good, flies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
much better...but could you screw with the proportions a bit more? i don't think the community or cartoons! would mind if it wasn't as proportioned as the drawing for spriting purposes...just go a bit larger on the head still, without changing the body size too much...it's very good, way to set the pace.
No offense to Cartoons, but the designer has no real say in how spriters choose to interpret the design. Read the first rule in the OP. The design is merely the inspiration for the sprite. Spriters are specifically granted "artistic license" to come up with whatever sprite they think looks most effective. As long as the sprite represents a reasonable attempt to render the design, then it is "legal". After that, it is up to the community (vis a vis the voting process) to decide if the sprite is acceptable or not.

Of course, I would hope that Cartoons isn't offended by any of the sprites that are submitted in this competition, but the designer's job is done once the art poll is concluded. Cartoons has given us a wonderful design to work with. I look forward to seeing how the talented spriters in the CAP community choose to interpret it.

Atyroki, that is a great sprite. You always do amazing sprite work with your CAP submissions. You have set the bar very high for the other spriters that follow. Good job!

Indeed. I like the new version a lot. No real complaints come to mind beyond things you can't control, like how much you have to cram into a small space.

Yeah, the way mine is shaping up, it's going to be way out of proportion (My hands are currently smaller than the head). As simple as the design is, 80X80 is too small to properly show the whole thing and keep it's proportions the same as they are in the drawing.

Eh, the thing I like most about the design is just how ridiculously big
the hands are in comparison to the rest of it =/

I might make it just a little bigger though

Thanks everyone, I'll start working on the back sprite soon

Like Daddy Long Legs with Levitate? Well actually that's not so far out there if you believe that area in which it's arms are placed rotate independent from it's body. Think of it like this: He stretches it's arm out, do a turbo-charged rapid spin, and take off. Not only will it explain how it can levitate, but will also explain how it uses Tailwind and Rapid Spin.
Now why am I showing you this quote...well there is an idea inside that might be helpful. Have bout a sprite depicting it either rotating it's mid-section, arm outstretched like a helicopter or flapping like a bird. Would be creative and interesting to see. You could also try to sprite the in the ground picture, that seem like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)