CAP 17 CAP 6 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Knirp I actually like your original design most of all. I am not a huge fan of the nostrils, I don't like the pupils, and I preferred the stouter body frame. It reminded me of the body of a crow or a puffin.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Hells [sic] Angel bird-taur supplementary sketches. Giving a CAP's favorite punching bag a good wallop and being liked by the biker class of Pokemon trainers in Unova (Charles, if you'd like). I miss my scanner. It takes much too much editing to get pictures taken with a cellphone's camera up to half-baked quality. >>; Frustration!

Comments:
  • Doran Dragon: You've heard that I like the thicker limbs and the current face for your shark jet. :) I still love your design, especially since Intimidate works really well for it.
  • Golurkyourself: The new colors are neat. :D A light gray works with both Steel- and Flying-type. I'm still concerned if your design conveys Steel/Flying, but making blue more of a highlight color helps reduce its marine comparisons. The more I look at it, the more the wings seem less wing-like and more like a second set of hands. That isn't bad, per se, but the Flying-type information is a tad more difficult to distinguish.
  • alphsoup: Hmm, there isn't much to comment if you've got a change of plans already. :) I'll just look foward to the next redesign!
  • LimaPro643: The aspects of Steel-type, Flying-type, and Belly Drum are there, though Intimidate cuts the design's viability. I'm going to be subjective here, just to warn you. I think the design is rather awkward, through a combination of its bottom propeller, akimbo arms, and confusing head. Am I missing something in the design that makes sense of the arms, or are they blimp-like for the sake of being blimp-like (I know they're blimp-like, but so what?)? It doesn't work for me. :/ The head: there is one eye and what appears to be bared teeth on it. o3o I guess it works as a head, independent, but not when placed to the rest of the design. Adding the airborne vehicle concepts to the entirety of the design may make it less confusing for me. If you'd like, give it a grimace. :p
  • BlueFrog: Yay, beady-eyed malicious peacock. :D Criticisms I would have would fall more into art style than design, and I shouldn't ask for a person to edit something according to style. Well, I have noticed that the way you've drawn the design makes it unbalanced-looking. The rods of feet the peacock has are toward the left of the bird, but the large, metal hind-feathers would make it seem more weighted there. My nitpick would be to move the legs closer to the middle of the design (or lean everything forward).
  • OldManDugan: I'm with the people who like the engine dog. :D It's a lot more coherent and natural to me than the humanoid aerocraft. I'd just like to say that the eyes are a bit odd from the perspective you've drawn the dog at; they don't appear to have that silly excitement the rest of the design has (which is really well executed; I love the implied shapes on the blue spikes and legs).
  • Knirp: Other peoples' opinions have already gotten to your design, so there's less need for mine, too. :p Other than that, there hasn't been much change to the design, has there? o3o
  • Magistrum: The tail feathers are better for spriters. :D Thank you for that inadvertent assistance to spriters. On an aside, I consider your design to be rivals with mine. Perhaps yours as more as a leader with mine as an anklebiter, eh?
  • Yilx: Hmm, the wooden sticks kinda get lost if you put claws on the end. It's harder for me to see them drumming (which isn't everything, though!). What about a set of more wing-like wings with a second set of wooden appendages underneath those?
  • paintseagull: I've discussed why I had been reluctant to explain my design in detail on IRC, but I'll be doing moreso in this post and future posts. :)

Magistrum, my biggest issue with your design is that it reminds me so much of Honchkrow with a hat on and a couple other small design tweaks. I'm not sure how you could differentiate it more (color scheme maybe?) but it just looks to me a LOT like Honchkrow, which gives me serious reservations about liking it as a design.

psg edit: image removed, we know what honchkrow looks like

Last edited by a moderator:

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
@Quanyails Charles ain't so lonely anymore :D

@Ahhhhhh......Clefable. It has been pointed out to me since the start that it does resemble Honchkrow. However, this does not automatically mean that it affects the integrity and/or originality of my design. If anything, I'm actually glad it resembles a pokemon since we're technically creating a pokemon here. But then again, I believe that my frigate bird has plenty of elements to differentiate itself from Honchkrow. Also if you're curious, there's a reason why I chose the black-and-red color scheme, which is based upon the natural colors of a frigate bird.

P.S. I would also like to point out that our previous CAP, Malaconda, is a snake that has its fair share of resemblances with Seviper. However, that didn't stop the community from voting for it, right? ;)

Hi guys. Thanks for the helpful words. I've reworked my design so I can still maintain my original vision but with a few changes:
  • My original concept disregarded the animal type entirely--I was aiming for a "it isn't over until the fat lady sings" pokemon that drew inspiration from Brunhilde, from operatic origins. I suppose that's a bit obtuse for Pokemon, so I've abandoned it for more generic Norse origins. I've redesigned the armor to appear a bit more generic and less comical, tho it still has a silly gong-like feel going for it.
  • I've seen a few comments regarding the intimidating nature of my beast. So I tried to make it look angrier. I found the original design pretty dang frightening (in a momma bear sort of way), so I'm probably not the best judge of that.
  • I also added tail feathers! Yay. It should come across as more owlish now.

Here's a high-res version if you want to see it up close: http://i.imgur.com/yeSLzmu.png

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hiya! Back from my long leave of absence. As many of you saw earlier, I'm attempting to revolve my design around a roadrunner. While I liked the idea of it tucking itself in to a cannonball, I think the idea is impractical in terms of Belly Drum. I'm looking for some other potential outlets. I did a few quick sketches below of some very basic ideas:

I want the roadrunner to look a bit more tough now that we have Intimidate as our primary ability. The angry eyebrows (ditched the goggles) and beefy arms help alleviate that. I think I'm gonna work more towards a biker helmet. The idea there would be that it can bonk its head into opponents at incredibly high speeds and not take recoil. Fuzznip mentioned on IRC that rocket boots could make it even faster, which sounds awesome to me, haha. I threw on some rocket boots to be silly, but I might actually go for that if I don't settle on a leg design.

I'm really looking for any feedback you may have here. I've also considered giving it actual cannons on its arms and/or back to shoot cannonballs, a drill for a beak, a jetpack, and a variety of other gizmos. Let me know if there's anything you want to see that would work well. I'm going to be putting up some much more finalized sketches in a few days, so I'd love to toy with any ideas you've got!

Final Submission
Hello. I don't speak very good english because I'm from Belgium. So here's my first project. :)

It has an overall shape of helicopter but the cutting at the front looks like a knight's helmet. It also has two drill for arms.
(lights reflections are bad)

Last edited:
Alright.
At first I toyed with an idea of a mechanical wolpertinger of sorts, but it ended up looking very confusing, so I scrapped it, and somehow ended up with a six-legged ladybug armadillo instead. Hooray!

I couldn't decide which version I liked most. The blue one could be the shiny coloration, perhaps.
This isn't meant to be the final version, by the way.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u445/TotallyJW/Ladydillo_zps47f0b8b3.png
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u445/TotallyJW/Ladydillo2_zps5035774d.png

DJD EDIT: Changed to links. Read the OP rules regarding art posts.

Any feedback would be lovely, especially on the six legs. The front pair aren't actually legs, but arms, but I'm not sure if that's clear enough. Perhaps I should make it stand more upright, like a centaur. I'm also considering desaturating the wings, so the eyes would be the only colourful element on it.

After seeing the possible statspreads, I decided to alter with my initial concept, a satellite/ufo. I wanted to go with that concept in the first place but they where way too cute to go with the ability initimidate.
So I present: the rocketspy

The idea behind it is that it is like this on land and on high altitude. On this high altitude it can also spy on others by using its satellite-arms.
To get there it flies like a rocket: http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r759/grefkevinc/rocketspy3_zps01a22256.png
Also, here is an alternative design: http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r759/grefkevinc/rocketspy1_zpse5f65761.png

I would love to get some comments about the colors of the rocketspy (because after all, I am colorblind).
Here are also some comments for the other designs:
Calad: To be honest, I like the previous design more. I liked it that it was only silver. Also I don't think you should match it to fit belly drum better, because it already seems unlikely to me. Maybe it should learn belly drum in its prevo-stage ^^
Magistrum: Oh god, I start to love it even more. I don't see a problem looking like Honchrow, it looks different enough to me (I mean there is more difference then with pachirisu and emolga for example). The thing that bothers me a bit it that I would more see it as a flying/water pokemon but that is just a minor problem.
Birkal: I really liked the first design but unfortunately it doesn't match intimidate. Even though I like the new designs too (I mean, there are rocket boots!!) I would rather see a more 'scary' version of the first design.
Louis Janquart: Welcome to the smogon forums. I'm from belgium too :D (and my english is pretty bad too ^^). I like the shape of the body, it really matches with the statspread and ability I think. But I don't really like the arms, they seem a little impractical to me.

Possible revision to Rocket dog. What do you think?

Legs felt awkward with the body type I'd given Rocketdog. Heres a quick sketch bringing his design more in line with a Bull terrier. Accentuates the dog over the engine. Nose is elongated, brisket lowered. Slightly longer legs. Please let me know what you think.

Last edited:

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Ok time for a little update (and a birthday post for me
)
...I got older...

Also some links to separate images for front and back views:

Basically a tweak on the anchor beak and the tailfeathers. I ditched the arrows to give it a sleeker look, and to Leviathes's suggestion earlier I reduced the number of tailfeathers to two (which is a good one since frigate birds usually have their tailfeathers split into two clumps when flying). I also added feathers near the tail to incorporate an admiral coat look on the back. IMO it looks sleeker and kinda faster than before, but what do you think? :)

As always, comments, critiques and criticisms are welcome. ;)

Edit:
@noobiess I think I like your alternate design better (the one with the joints to the metal hands). Also yes the tendency to be water/flying on my design was pointed out to me too when I had the initial color scheme (navy blue) so I opted for the black scheme. I think that lessens the water/flying vibe :)

Last edited:

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
@Magistrum Not only is the new tail more realistic, but it also looks more like the tail of a fast flier (we see it on swallows, for example), so that turned out to be a very good idea. Oh, and happy birthday!

@noobiess Seconding Magistrum's suggestion that you use the version with arms. Having hands without arms just looks weird on anything that isn't a ghost. Your design is certainly cute, though!

@OldManDugan Definitely an improvement over the tentacled version.

@Calad The new color scheme is cool.

@Birkal This version doesn't look much like a Steel-type, nor is it especially intimidating. Sorry.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/3548/5j9a.png
So, I decided to make my desing to have feathered wings instead of those pieces of metal. I dont really know how to draw wings so right wing looks bit meh. I'm counting that Motor Drive will be secondary ability most likely doesnt happen though, need to figure out how to make it bit more Intimidating.

Liking this new pose to the revised rocketdog design. Could be "the one". Certainly feels more intimidating than previous iterations, and the legs don't feel so out of place.
What do you guys think?

@ Fuzznip
I'm not that big a fan of the colour scheme you used for the legs and spikes. I just don't find the aqua green-ish colour to be appealing in comparison to the rest of the colours
Hmmm.. I hear you. Color scheme is always touchy. What do you think of a brushed gold/ brass color?

*messing around with colors swaps to see what I like. Possible shiny colors? *

Analysis and opinions of my favorite designs incoming SOON*

Also, where is everyone? Great momentum for the first few pages, and then they up and vanished.

Last edited:
Looks way better than it was before @OldManDugan; however, I'm not that big a fan of the colour scheme you used for the legs and spikes. I just don't find the aqua green-ish colour to be appealing in comparison to the rest of the colours. I'm not exactly sure what colour scheme to suggest either. Maybe you can make the legs the same colour as the body, the spikes just plain old white, and those sleeve things on the legs the same greyish/black colour as the collar strap.

Interesting and creative concept nonetheless.

EDIT @OldManDugan: Agreeing with the user below. The gold doesn't look good, it stands out far too much and gives a general awkward feeling imo. Sorry. :3

Last edited:
@OldManDugan
I'd say try a different colour to the gold because it looks a bit awkward and weird, maybe you could try just using red like the same colour used for the nose and back? Sorry if that wasn't helpful but I don't think either blue or gold suit it. If you are trying to have a metallic colour, it already looks steel type so dont worry about it :) but I like that new pose though

It might be a little late to throw my hat into the ring, but I have a submission.

http://imageshack.us/a/img855/6705/rbpi.jpg

I had two more Poses, this was originally some supporting art, but the damn thing won't upload the others, only this one, multiple times.

Anywho, it's a steampunk furnace dragon.

YourFavoriteEgyptian

Banned deucer.
Hello everybody! Sorry to jump on board so late, but I've contributed art concepts to the last several CAPS and I'm not gonna break my streak now.
This is an idea that occured to me nearly the moment I heard the typing of Steel/Flying; a pig that can fly. "Pigasus" has armor in the fashion of a knight and also has some minotaur-like properties. With the knowledge that this CAP will get the move Belly Drum (my bipedal boar certainly looks like it would drum its chest in anger) and the ability Intimidate (I can think of nothing more intimidating than a ferocious, steel-clad muscular pig that can FLY) I think this CAP works well with the concept.
Without any further ado, Pigasus!

psg edit: image removed, please use external image hosting

This design is still new, so it still needs coloring/general refinement, but I like it a lot and hope the community of artists here can give me some ideas on how to improve it.
Thanks! Please comment/critique!

Finally an update from me,
And here he is!
oh dang hollymon what an improvement! I feel like the legs still need work and not be as fat as my left cankle. Give it Blastoise's legs, and it will look amazing 10/10 pokemon design
and done, changed the main design, hope you like it :) are these chunky enough?

Different legs (old) --->
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/5809/hbc7.jpg
Old one for comparisons --->
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9720/i2e7.jpg

Alright after like 4 pages I'm back, with a new and improved copter dragon! I think it is infinitely better than my last attempt, but still keeps the same vibe. Hopefully you can see the body blade, although it might be overlooked as it is such a strange angle. IMO this new pose looks so much more energetic and gives a character to him. Edits to the original include different colours (replacing colours blades, legs, head : actually pretty much everywhere! ) , a new tail, more menacing head, new arms, new legs, markings on belly and a different body structure. I tried to incorporate the belly drum more, which was suggested to me, so I gave it markings to look like a kind of button? Also I changed the claws to make them look a bit more useful like grabbing onto stuff, which couldn't really be done with the old arms. To be honest I am pretty happy with where this design has taken me and this will be close to my final submission. I did loads of comments on one of my other posts but I cba to do them today, I may update at some point? Also comments and criticisms appreciated but I don't think I'll be making that drastic of a change :)

Definitely use the faded blue one, it looks sooooo much better than the rest!

Last edited:
oh dang hollymon what an improvement! I feel like the legs still need work and not be as fat as my left cankle. Give it Blastoise's legs, and it will look amazing 10/10 pokemon design

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
OldManDugan, I recommend you go with the faded blue color scheme. The only other one that looks remotely doggish is the C-3PO one, and that takes away any ability to intimidate ANYTHING in my mind (because of the association with C-3PO).

Hi!
Ok, this is my first concept of the Steel/Flying CAP. An Armored Dodo. I was intended to create a glamorous legendary treasure's bird, but it didn't work. Dodos were fat and clumsy birds, terrestrial creatures, they couldn't fly, but they were fast. Our CAP is fast and uses Belly Drum. I drew this Dodo as a knight, because it's a Steel-type, the ax like nozzle match also with the concept. The right wing is a shield, which is detailed above, and the tails are four swords that moves like Skarmory's wing. Evil face is for intimidate. It always walks with a flag in a lance as if in battlefront.

Last edited:
Hi!
Ok, this is my first concept of the Steel/Flying CAP. An Armored Dodo. I was intended to create a glamorous legendary treasure's bird, but it didn't work. Dodos were fat and clumsy birds, terrestrial creatures, they couldn't fly, but they were fast. Our CAP is fast and uses Belly Drum. I drew this Dodo as a knight, because it's a Steel-type, the ax like nozzle match also with the concept. The right wing is a shield, which is detailed above, and the tails are four swords that moves like Skarmory's wing. Evil face is for intimidate. It always walks with a flag in a lance as if in battlefront.
I like this design alot but it doesnt look much like it can belly drum at all but overall nice work I cant even do that :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)