CAP 17 CAP 6 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission

Brassailor

Portmanteau of "brass" (the metal the buttons and maybe the beak appear to be made of) and "sailor" (the nautical profession embodied in the design), also with "assail" in there.

Pronunciation: brah-SAIL-er

Final Submission

Ballastian

Ballast (heavy material carried on a ship for balance) + Avian

Pronunciation: "buh-LASS-tee-an"

I think it's a name that is equal parts classy and baddassy... Badasstian, heh. The design looks tough, but elegant, so I went with a name that was both of those things. He could just as convincingly dine with nobility as he could rob them blind in a fit of rum-induced kleptomania.

Final Submission

Hulbatross

A combination of "hull" (the main body of a ship or vessel including the deck, sides, and bottom) and "albatross" (a very large oceanic bird).

Pronounced: hull-BA-tross

Final Submission:

Admirate

Combination of Admiral (Navy rank) and Frigate (bird CAP6 is based on)

Pronounced: "Ad-mer-it"
IPA: ædmərət

Final Submission

Harbird

This is a combination of "harbor" and "bird." It also has "hard" embedded in it, a nod to the CAP's steel typing.

Pronounced: HAR-bird

Final Submission

Naviary

Combination of "Navy" and "Aviary." Also includes "knave" and "air." References both types, as knave is associated with knights, and aviaries are made of metal. Also rhymes with "scary" which includes Intimidate. Knave also brings to mind a rouge/scoundrel personality.

(Knave-ee-AIR-ee)

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Scoldrum

Scold + Doldrums + Drum. CAP 6 looks pretty domineering as a captain and might scold its underlings. Doldrums is a naval term about wind. And obviously, CAP 6 is using Belly Drum.

Pronounced: SKOLE-drum
IPA: skoʊldrʌm

Final Submission

Cawnchor

Caw + Anchor
Pronunciation: CON-ker (conquer)

A simple, brute-sounding name that holds weight to its pronunciation to imply the big belly and how it conquers the high seas in which it inhabits.

Last edited:

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
Final Submission

Ironclave

From ironclad (type of ship) + Aves (birds).

Pronounced: iron - klave (rhymes with "grave")
IPA: aɪərnkleɪv

Ironclads were similar to frigates, but unlike the frigates came before them they had armoured hulls. You could say that they have the same relationship to frigates as our CAP has to frigatebirds. Also the inclusion of "iron" draws attention to its Steel typing. "Ave" is not the real singular of Aves but I decided it sounded better than other options.

Last edited:

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Final Submission

Yohostelio

From Yo-ho-ho (a common Pirate Saying) + Steel

Pronounced: Yo-ho-STEE-li-o

The bird has the ferocity and drastic schemes (Belly Drum) of a Pirate. It is Steel type. Yohostelio is fun to say and invokes the image of the bird.

Final Submission

Seabrawl

A combination of "Sea" and "Brawl".

Pronounced: sea-BRAWL

Rhymes with seagull.
"Sea" for the nautical theme.
"Brawl" since he/she is looking for a fight.

Final Submission

Aerdmiral

Portmanteau of "Aero" (Greek prefix pertaining to flight) and "Admiral" (A high ranking naval officer; the commander in chief of a fleet)

Pronounced: "AIRD-mer-uhl"
IPA: ˈɛərdmərəl

While I feel that Admaero may have rolled off the tongue a bit better, and certainly, while saying it, youu can clearly hear the root word "admiral" hidden inside the word, the word visually obscures that reference too much. It just doesn't look very pretty.

Final Submission

Captalon

captain + talon

pronounced: cap-talon

It looks like a ship captain. I also noticed its large talons. Therefore: Captalon.

Final Submission

Trossnare

Inspired by the albatross bird, which looks pretty similar to our CAP and is also a seabird, along with "snare," as in snare drum. Snare drums give off a very metallic sound, so it fit for a giant Steel bird that uses Belly Drum. Snares are also traps that are used to capture birds, so it kind of goes along with the idea of our CAP injuring itself with Belly Drum.

Pronounced: TROSS-snair
IPA: trɑssnɛr

Final Submission

Frigatross

A combination of "Frigate" as in frigate bird, and "albatross", a large bird.

Pronounced: "FRIG-a-tross"
IPA: frɪgʌtrɔːss

Last edited:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Final Submission

Frigateer

Pronounced: FRIG-a-TEER

Name comes from the Frigate bird, which the CAP art closely resembles, and buccaneer to match the captain's garb it wears.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Sephiroc

Combination of "seraph", referring to CAP6 flying with angels, and "Roc", a legendary bird of Persian mythology. Also contains a humorous double entendre.

Pronunciation: SEFF-i-roc

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Cawptain

A combination of "Caw" + "Captain".

Pronounced: "cop-tain"
IPA: kɒptən

A pretty simplistic combination of two easily understood words. I've always preferred the names that don't take themselves too seriously. Due to this CAP's boisterous nature, I imagine it having a name that's instantly recognizable.

Crux

Banned deucer.
Final Submission

Hindenbird

A combination of "Hindenburg" + "Bird".

Pronounced: "HIN-duhn-burd"
IPA: hɪndənˌbɜrd

Has to choose between Intimidate and Volt Absorb, also will probably learn gravity (not poll-jumping, just based on original concept post). Also this CAP's only weakness is fire.

Last edited:

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Navigat

Etymology: A Combination of "Navy" + "Frigate"

"Pronounced: NAY-vee-gat"

Basically, I wanted to combine Navy & Frigate together to create a name that could also represent a corruption of Navigate, which ties into the nautical theme of the name, & the design. I initially had Navygate, but after getting feedback from here & on IRC, I decided to change to Navigat, since it a) the "i" looked cleaner than the "y", & b) because I was going for the "gat" pronunciation, the "e" was chopped off, also getting that corruption I was looking for.

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Drumatik

Drum + Dramatic

Pronounced: "DRUM-at-tic"
IPA:drʌmætɪk

So named because of the effect CAP6 will have on battle. Worked in #cap with some members to finalize.
GET IN MAI BELLAH DRUM!

Final Submission

Fregaweigh

From Fregatidae, the family to which the Frigate bird belongs and the term "Anchors aweigh" used by sailors

Pronounced: FREG-uh-way
IPA: frɛgəweɪ

Anchors aweigh! I feel this name suits the bird and its firecracker amount of energy and determination. Easy to pronounce and it flows well.

Final Submission

Maravian

From "Marauder" and "Avian"

Pronounced: "muh-RAY-vee-un"

Marauding seems like an entirely plausible task for this CAP, plundering other mons of their treasure. Additionally, the "Mara-" section of the name is somewhat reminiscent of "Marine" another fitting designation for our CAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)