Complain about your stupid and probably insignificant problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
all my classes are half empty because of ap exams and both people i eat lunch with are taking the test so i'll be eating alone and she won't pull me out of school because "classes are important" BUT WE'RE LITERALLY DOING NOTHING THE TEACHERS DON'T WANT TO TEACH WE'RE WATCHING MOVIES WE HAVE SUBS I'M SO IRRITATED
this honestly sounds like a dream

"Good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people".

Basically the same shit that Disney movies brainwash kids with.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is something that's been bothering me for weeks: do I have to necessarily cross the line of immaturity just to keep friends? Specially, this has to do with my typing style; if I want people to acknowledge that I have a sense of unity and humor, I may sometimes have to use emoticons and words such as "lol." This is a double edged sword for me, since I also appear immature at my age, and this unprofessional and unreliable. When I do type "professionally," it's like I'm not there in the conversation to begin with at all. So I constantly cycle through this.

Am I just thinking too hard?

This is something that's been bothering me for weeks: do I have to necessarily cross the line of immaturity just to keep friends? Specially, this has to do with my typing style; if I want people to acknowledge that I have a sense of unity and humor, I may sometimes have to use emoticons and words such as "lol." This is a double edged sword for me, since I also appear immature at my age, and this unprofessional and unreliable. When I do type "professionally," it's like I'm not there in the conversation to begin with at all. So I constantly cycle through this.

Am I just thinking too hard?
your thoughts, words, and ideas should be what's more important when determining maturity level. i'd rather deal with a smart dude who doesn't really care about capitalizing everything perfectly than an idiot who thinks he'll look better if he uses perfect grammar. as long as you know the rules of spelling and grammar for when you actually do need them professionally, then go with whatever feels comfortable.

Have I complained about straw vulcans / Hollywood rationality in this thread yet? I feel like I can never complain enough about them. "Genius" character who has PhDs in mathematics and engineering has to be told to think outside the box and see several moves ahead. Okay.

Have I complained about straw vulcans / Hollywood rationality in this thread yet? I feel like I can never complain enough about them. "Genius" character who has PhDs in mathematics and engineering has to be told to think outside the box and see several moves ahead. Okay.
You mean Spock? Because that is who Spock is, has been since 1966.

My father told me friends don't exist.
I don't know if he told me that to make me feel better about not having any, or to prevent me from learning how to create and maintain friendships.

Well, that particular description was of Spencer Reid (Criminal Minds). Sheldon is probably a more infamous example to mention, though he's a straw a-lot-of-things.

I haven't watched much Star Trek, but Leonard Nemoy's Spock doesn't strike me as quite as bad as the archetype as it goes these days.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sometimes I wonder why and how the hell I got stuck with a bunch of pubescent guys (or older guys that act pubescently) as friends. I mean, goddamn.

I know you don't have that many friends irl and sometimes life isn't fair, but sometimes, I wish you would just...stop. Stop proclaiming your depression and act like your peeps have to be obligated to share your sorrows with you. Stop being/acting so depressed that you feel like you have to do/say something extreme on the INTERNET (leave the chatroom; suddenly delete your gallery of stuff; draw/write something obscenely stupid like an MS paint of a bear in loli clothes). And most of all, if you're depressed, then do something about it, damn you. Don't proclaim your gonna eat a gallon of ice cream as comfort food just because you're suddenly feeling down. If most people saying that's bad for you, then it's most PROBABLY bad for you. If you're feeling down, just go about it casually and have your mutual friends talk about it with you rather than explain your whole damn story to people who won't give a second thought. Or keep it ambiguous while acting depressed. Jesus, that makes my mind bleed.

And the thing about all this is that they didn't do anything wrong to me. It's just...man. Life isn't supposed to be dramatic. The world isn't that depressing (at least, if you're in a country where you can access a computer and freely chat). Your problems can be expressed in a smaller and more mutually understanding group. Just...please stop acting like the worlds against you, and stop acting cynical when people suggest something that's good/relevant to your situation.

And I'm done bitching. I now wonder if people here on Smogon are actually mutual friends with each other, and if this sort of thing applies only to certain groups. Or have I just turned sour?

tl;dr I'm starting to dislike people who proclaim their depression online and act self-entitled to gain sympathy or possibly attention (And yes, even though I'm not actually referring to people on Showdown who think going there is a good way to make good friends daily, it also applies).

kids who lie and exaggerate about their past or present lives and try to belittle everyone else's hard work by pretending they are good at everything. at the moment I am thinking of one kid in particular but this is true across the board.

in my circle of friends we have this one guy who basically is just a huge egomaniac and has to one-up everyone. if you have some sort of hobby or something you like to do, he does it as well. and guess what, he's better than you (or usually, he was better than you until event xyz happened, and that's why he can't prove that he's better than you right now).

anyway we were taking our turns in the squat rack (poverty college gym only has one squat rack) warming up, and this kid starts talking about how when he used to play high school football, the coach had them squatting 320. that's not a lot of weight but my friends and I are pretty weak, so it's impressive to us, especially since he always skips squats when we go to the gym. anyway we are warming up and have 135 lbs on the bar and he starts quarter squatting and we are all like no dude, that's way too high you have to go much deeper than that. he whines about how he's inflexible and physically can't go that deep so we take the weight off the bar and get him to try it completely unloaded. lo and behold, he is able to get down ass to grass, so we add 25 lb plates to each side. this motherfucker couldn't complete a set of 5 deep squats at 95 lbs. I shit you not, he only hit 3 reps. but somehow he expects us to believe that back in high school when he played football (rofl, he is like 6 foot 145 lbs, not a football player's physique), he was squatting 320.

yeah I think everyone does this to an extent, but I could go on for many anecdotes about the same guy. he's supposedly better at physics than the physics majors, better at smash than the smash players, better at track than the D1 track runners (rofl when he challenged my 54.0 400m hurdler friend to a 400, remembering when I once said a 54 second 400 wasn't that fast and not realizing that the guy was a 400 hurdler), it just goes on and on

/rant

On the subject of egomaniacs, recently I read this and it really hit me hard. I already had a vague notion in my mind of selfishness as mistrust and self-protection, but when somebody actually talked about it as something debilitating, it became a lot more real. It's hard to really accept that people who only think about themselves actually have a problem and that they might not have any other choice. We can't just run around blaming each other for problems because we'll never get to the core of those problems that way.

The next part might seem a bit left field compared to the above, but please bear with me.

As someone living in Toronto, the latest scandal and the responses to it have been really depressing. Actually, I don't even really care about the actual drug allegations, but they do reveal many different levels of sucking. I'm disturbed by the very idea that this scandal would possibly trigger the kind of loss in popularity that other, more serious (imo) problems didn't, and it will have been solely because of the international attention and the semantic stopsign of DRUGS ARE BAD YO.

I'm even more disturbed that the responses by the Ford brothers have been the same old paranoid, holier-than-thou hypocrisy that they've relied on for everything. They say they spent about $1 million fighting the various allegations against them, yet they've shown contempt for the homeless, outright denying that there's any kind of sheltering problem. It's as if they can't conceive of not being able to afford what they've spent on election campaigns and lawsuit defenses. They say that the people of Toronto have not had a voice for 50 years (think about the scale of that accusation for a second before moving on), blaming some phantom "social elite" for power-grabbing. This "social elite" seems to consist of homeless people, transit riders, bike riders, gambling addicts, victims of sexual assault... and let's not forget the mayors of every political stripe who've been around for the past 50 years. I suppose Mel Lastman was part of the leftist conspiracy, too? Or maybe he wasn't, but he was too chicken to confront them?

This mayor's approach to every problem other than "taxes" is that there is no problem. Problems are all concocted by those damned leftist elites, even personal problems like allegedly having to read and drive at the same time because he's that busy (he refused offers for a driver). An adviser approaches him for help with a possible drinking problem? Leftist conspiracy. An adviser approaches him for help with a possible cocaine addiction? Fired.

It's not a leftist conspiracy. Other conservative mayors don't get this level of attention. People could easily have voted for the other conservative mayoral candidates. In fact, think of any conservative politician out there and consider how you'd react if someone showed a clear picture of them in drug-related activities. It's hard for me to imagine that happening with Stephen Harper. I'd probably be really skeptical of such a photo. Yet I look at the grainy photo allegedly of Ford, and I can't help but find it plausible.

Yet what I feel about all this is not so much anger (though I guess some of it is), but sadness. Considering the stuff about narcissism I mentioned in the beginning, these people clearly have a problem. They keep trying to make it all about them, but it's not. People with problems should get help, for the community's sake. By trying to lead the community, they're just bringing it down with them.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
The Pokemon Showdown! main chat is full of idiots, with the exception of the moderators and people I know fairly well. Why is the chat this way? I have no idea. We clearly need more people who actually know what they're doing instead of idiots.

The government is shit at funding for schools, they don't pay the teachers enough, and they give more to the special ed, they now make the requirements for special ed too broad, technically I would be in special ed now. They pretty much brainwash you with making everything so innocent. The teachers are utter assholes. They don't care that much about my anxiety, but some kid's learning problems bevause of absymal parenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)