Deoxys-A (Skeleton) [QC 2/2]

Sorry for the wait, school kicked into high gear right after I reserved this. This (and forre and skymin) will be done in the next few days.

*Feel free to make comments, but hold off on GPing until I finish the LO set.

[Overview]

The epitome of offense, Deoxys-A is a true powerhouse in every sense of the word. Between its unheard of 180 base attacking stats (the highest in the game), beyond blistering 150 base speed, and fantastic move pool, including the coveted Extremespeed, Deoxys-A has everything it needs to tear gaping holes in the opposing team. Unfortunately, its poor typing and practically negative defenses offer little synergy wise to the team, and as any Deoxys-A user is well aware, even relatively weak neutral attacks will easily knock it out, meaning that extensive team support is usually necessary to facilitate a clean sweep. These faults aside, however, Deoxys-A is certainly a threat to prepare for.

[Set]

Name : Attacking lead
Move 1: Ice Beam / Psycho Boost
Move 2: Extremespeed
Move 3: Superpower / Hidden Power Fire
Move 4: Shadow Ball / Magic Coat
item: Focus Sash
Nature : Mild / Naive
evs : 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[Set comments]

Deoxys-A’s bread and butter set, and one of the tier’s premiere offensive antileads, this set can take on most leads in the current metagame and come out on top. Ice Beam is standard fare for hitting the plethora of Dragon-types in the tier, as well as having good neutral coverage in general, though Psycho Boost, Deoxys-A’s strongest attack, can replace it if brute force is more important to you than coverage; the extra power can make dealing with bulky opponents that you can not normally hit super effectively, such as Palkia, much easier, as it deals a massive 85.4% minimum to the standard Choice Scarf set. Extremespeed is a must for taking out weakened opponents, such as Focus Sash Deoxys-S, and landing a decent hit on Choice Scarf users attempting to revenge kill Deoxys-A after it has scored a kill; it also provides midgame revenge killing utility should Deoxys-A survive that long, which happens more often than you would think, thanks to the advent of team preview. The third slot is a toss up between Superpower and Hidden Power Fire; the first is generally the more useful choice, hitting most Steel-types, Kyogre, Darkrai, Tyraintar, and Normal-type Arceus hard, while the latter quickly dispatches Forretress, Scizor, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn, provided at least neutral weather. Shadow Ball and Magic Coat are both good options to round off the set. Shadow Ball in conjunction with Extremespeed consistently limits Deoxys-S to one layer of entry hazards, which is still an important benchmark, despite its rarity in today’s metagame; it also completes the unresisted Ghost / Fighting combination in tandem with Superpower, and scores major damage on the omnipresent Psychic- and Ghost-types in the tier. Magic Coat, while a bit unorthodox on something as offensive as Deoxys-A, makes Darkrai think twice about using Dark Void, and can shove Forretress, Deoxys-S, and other support-centric lead’s entry hazards back in their face; keep in mind, however, that without Shadow Ball, this set is very vulnerable to Wobbuffet, as nothing else can hope to score a 2HKO without a critical hit.

[Additional comments]

Max Speed and Special Attack with a Mild nature are used to make the most of Deoxys-A’s amazing offensive stats, while only sacrificing its irrelevant Defense, as it will not be surviving any hits, and is utilizing a Focus Sash, anyway; the remaining 4 should go into attack to support Superpower and Extremespeed. An alternative spread of 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Spe allows you to outpace Mewtwo and other base 130 Speed Pokemon with the imperfect Speed IV from Hidden Power Fire. Using max Speed in tandem with Hidden Power Fire is not advised, as the point lost in Speed will prevent a speed tie with an opposing Deoxys-A, the only common Pokemon at the 150 base Speed tier, so dropping to 395 Speed (just above the 130 base Speed tier) and shifting the remaining EVs to Attack is an acceptable choice. Deoxys-A also has the option of running Fire Punch with perfect IVs, but it will not hit as hard due to unequal Attack investment.

As a dedicated lead, Deoxys-A does not require much support from the team. Should you forgo Magic Coat, a sleep absorber will be necessary, as Choice Scarf Darkrai will outspeed and incapacitate Deoxys-A with Dark Void before it can use Superpower. RestTalk + Calm Mind Kyogre is a great teammate in this regard, as it does not mind being put to sleep, and can retaliate with Sleep Talk, either drowning Darkrai with Surf, or setting up for an early sweep with Calm Mind; beware of switching Kyogre into a Trick, however, as a Choice item will cripple it. If the set lacks Hidden Power Fire, lead Scizor can also cause problems; fortunately, though, a defensive Kyogre is generally an apt switch in to most Scizor, as well. Though not commonly seen as a lead, Giratina-O can take Deoxys-A out with consecutive Shadow Sneaks, though both Ice Beam and Psycho Boost will deal a crippling blow to it. Dialga can easily switch into a resisted Shadow Sneak and scare Giratina-O off, or OHKO it with STAB Dragon-type moves.

Deoxys-A

[Overview]

• Ridiculous attacking stats and beyond blistering speed
  • Practically negative defenses
  • Fantastic movepool
  • Strong priority in Espeed
  • Adds nothing synergy wise to the team =/
[Set]

[Set comments]

• Can 2HKO everything in the game with this moveset
  • Beats most common leads 1v1
  • Limits Deo-S to one hazard
    • Still pretty important even though deo-s is pretty rare... and barely OU XD
  • Packs priority which can come in handy if it survives the first 3 turns
    • Happens more often that you would expect because of team preview
[Additional comments]

• Even though psychic is terrible type-coverage wise, STAB psycho boost coming off 503 (Mild nature) SpA still tears things apart
    • 85.4% min to 0/0 (The standard) palkia
    • 86.9% min to 252/0 Impish groudon
    • 52.9% min to 252/0 Ho-Oh
    • 61.7% min to 252/0 arceus (Assuming neutrality)
  • Perfect Coverage with Shadow Ball and Superpower
  • Magic Coat is pretty much only for Darkrai, but you outspeed Non-Choice Scarf versions and OHKO with Superpower bar those with focus sash.
  • HP [Fire] cuts through Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Scizor, but is overall less useful than Superpower.
    • I did not mention it because of clutter but fire punch can be used with perfect IVs but it does not hit as hard as HP fire because of the unequal attack investment
  • 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe lets you outspeed Mewtwo when not running HP Fire
  • 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Spe lets you do the same with HP Fire
[Teamates and Counters AC]

• Does not really require much support from the team
  • Generally seizes momentum early so offensive Pokemon like Dialga and Scizor who can keep up the pressure work well
  • A sleep absorber is recommended if you forgo Magic Coat as Choice Scarf Darkrai will always beat you.
    • Switching wob or chandelure (If in DW) in on dark void in this situation is hilarious
  • Although not all that common as a lead Giratina-O beats you with Shadow sneak^2
[Set]

Name : Life Orb
Move 1: Ice Beam
Move 2: Thunder / Shadow Ball / Psycho Boost
Move 3: Super Power / Low Kick
Move 4: Substitute / Hidden Power Fire / Extremespeed
Nature : Naive / Mild

or 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe

[Set Comments]

• Fairly straightforward sweeping set
  • Very customizable depending on the team
  • Substitute eases prediction and grants protection from priority
    • LO and Sub will wear it down really fast, but it isn't going to survive ANYTHING anyway, so go balls to the wall while you can.
[Additional Comments ]

• Max speed (First spread) puts you in an interesting speed tier, sitting above even a +1 rayquaza, but the power from a mild nature (Second Spread) can prove more important than the extra speed when behind a substitute.
  • Grass Knot can be used to deal with Groudon and Kyogre
  • The thing has HARDCORE slash-itis but the teammate choices are pretty crucial in deciding what moves to run.
    • IMO Ice Beam, Thunder, Spower, and sub were the most consistent choices, but there were plenty of times that I wished I had Psycho boost/eSpeed/etc. I will let QC make the call on what the slashes should be, but I think everything there should at least be in the OO section
[Teammates and Counters]

• Bulky Steel-types cause problems if you lack the right move or the weather is not favorable
  • Choice Scarf users revenge you easily if you are not behind a sub
  • Priority users are in the same boat
  • Both Magnezone and wobbuffet can trap select pokes (Steels and scarfers, respectively) and eliminate them
  • Giratina-O, rayquaza, scizor (can also pursuit), and physical variants of arceus (with extremespeed) are the most common priority users, and all can revenge you if you are left without a sub
    • Unfortunately, it is not all that uncommon to find two or three of them on the same team....
  • Requires a fair amount of support but can f**k teams up if used under the right conditions

I honestly think the SR laying lead is a waste of great attacking stats and I would rather leave it to groudon or another supporter, but I will add the set in if QC wants it. I also tested both a Specs (Psycho Boost/shock, thunder, Ice Beam, superpower/trick) and Band (Zen headbutt/extremespeed, ice punch, superpower, trick/psycho boost/thunder punch) set, but both proved to be meh at best. The power sounds really cool on paper, but it already hits hard enough with LO and the ability to switch attacks far outweighs the extra .2 power defference. (Band/specs = 1.5, LO = 1.3, correct?)

[Other Options]

• I will add more stuff here when I get word on what should be de-slashed from the above sets.
[Checks and counters]

• No true counter
  • Most checks have already been listed
    • Most scarfers
    • Most weather sweepers if the weather is in their favor
      • Kingdra and Exadrill are the most common
    • Anything with priority
      • Giratina-O is a decent check with shadow sneak
      • Variants of arceus with extremespeed
      • Lucario... if you ever see one
      • etc
    • Ho-oh can cause problems if Stealth Rock is not present
    • Lugia can survive anything deoxys-a has to offer and KO back
    • Bulky steel types like scizor and forretress if you lack a fire move
    • Deo-S with extremespeed rapes you no matter what (unless you have a sub up) but who the hell still uses espeed deo-s?
    • Choice Scarf Jirachi and Victiti can threaten with U-turn

Max speed (First spread) puts you in an interesting speed tier, sitting above even a +1 rayquaza, but the power from a mild nature (Second Spread) can prove more important than the extra speed when behind a substitute.
Yeah the extra power is useful since Deoxys-A won't survive any decently powerful hit. With Mild you still outspeed Mewtwo so that doesn't matter much. +1 Rayquaza outspeeds you though if it uses a + Speed nature. 317 is Rayquaza's max Speed so a +1 Rayquaza will outrun you.

[*]IMO Ice Beam, Thunder, Spower, and sub were the most consistent choices, but there were plenty of times that I wished I had Psycho boost/eSpeed/etc. I will let QC make the call on what the slashes should be, but I think everything there should at least be in the OO section
Stealth Rock probably isn't needed. We should focus on destroying things with Deoxys-A lol not setting up. Deoxys-S is usually better as a suicide lead. With just 3 Attacks, Deoxsy-A will lose some of the coverage so put Stealth Rock in Other Options or AC.

Choice Scarf users (100 base speed +) revenge you easily if you are not behind a sub
Actually even Timid Scarf Kyogre outspeeds Naive Deoxys-A. You should remove 100 base Speed + part. Kyogre is 306 with Timid so with a Scarf it's 459 > 438.

Choice Specs and Choice Band Deoxys-A probably sucks since it wants to switch moves.

The few Attack EVs probably doesn't matter much. Put Max Speed as the main spread, because it's better to at least tie with other Deoxys for a few Attack points. Fire Punch still kills what Hidden Power Fire kills. Maybe mention Fire Punch somewhere because it doesn't give an imperfect Speed IV.

Giratina-O is a decent counter with Shadow Sneak, and it survives at least one hit. Lugia survives everything even Shadow Ball and kills you. Ho-Oh walls you actually unless Stealth Rock is up, it can stomach one Psycho Boost and Roost off.

Arceus is a badass with Extremespeed threatening you. Lucario and Rayquaza can come in on some moves and KO you with Extremespeed.

Victini and Jirachi can survive any attack and KO back. Victini only fears Shadow Ball while Jirachi will only fall to Fire Punch in the sun. Most Ubers Jirachi are Specially Defensive. The Scarf Pixies outspeed and OHKO you first with U-turn.

QC APPROVED (1/2)

firecape said:
trickroom sux he always gets everything ;_;
EDIT: firecape is bad, he bullies small kids with Jibaku. They even mauled my poor baby Hippopotas with a phat Kyogre. I don't get everything :( can't even move analyses. I like to nitpick though :P

Imo, GK should be the main attacking move slashed with Ice beam and psycho boost should only be a slash. Many people often choose to lead with a groudon or kyogre and GK annihilates them both. Groudon and Kyogre, incidentally, are like the top 2 pokes so I wouldn't say that it is "ONLY" getting them. My interpretation of deo-a lead, personally, is GK, SR/ magic coat, Ice beam, ES.

Fire Punch still kills what Hidden Power Fire kills. Maybe mention Fire Punch somewhere because it doesn't give an imperfect Speed IV.
The speed IV may be worth mentioning but

252 SpA mild deoxys-a 70 Fire Special -> 252/252 careful forre =119.8% - 141.2%

4 Atk mild deoxys-a 75 fire physical -> 252/4 careful forre = 76.8% - 90.4%

252 SpA mild deoxys-a 70 Fire Special -> 252/252 careful ferrothorn = 79.5% - 94.3%

4 Atk mild deoxys-a 75 fire physical -> 252/4 careful ferrothorn = 81.8% - 96.6%

HP fire is more consistent damage wise

Otherwise changes made

Edit:
Imo, GK should be the main attacking move slashed with Ice beam and psycho boost should only be a slash. Many people often choose to lead with a groudon or kyogre and GK annihilates them both. Groudon and Kyogre, incidentally, are like the top 2 pokes so I wouldn't say that it is "ONLY" getting them. My interpretation of deo-a lead, personally, is GK, SR/ magic coat, Ice beam, ES.
Leaves you walled by every common steel...

I am aware of that, but it was capable of taking down many leads aside of forry and magic coat already messes with it. Fire punch can be slashed with ES/Ice beam. However, GK is far more important than OC.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd add that anything faster than Deo A can kill it. It'd be better if you also mention Weather Sweepers like Kingdra and co. Also Grass Knot deserves more than an OC mention. Maybe not an actual slash but definitely an AC mention. Groudon and Kyogre are THE top leads now.

I'd add that anything faster than Deo A can kill it. It'd be better if you also mention Weather Sweepers like Kingdra and co. Also Grass Knot deserves more than an OC mention. Maybe not an actual slash but definitely an AC mention. Groudon and Kyogre are THE top leads now.
I will add in the weather sweepers, and I will move GK to AC

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
All of your alternate EV spreads should be in AC not listed below the primary. Be sure to explain them and their purpose and not just list then in AC.

Try to write the actual analysis in a bit more professional manner then some of the comments :p

trickroom sux he always gets everything ;_;

QC APPROVED (2/2)

Amateur GP Check

Add
Delete
My Comment

[Overview]

The epitome of offense, Deoxys-A is a true powerhouse in every sense of the word. Between its unheard of its base 180 in bothbase attacking stats (the highest in the game), beyond its blistering 150 base speed, andits fantastic move pool, including the coveted Extremespeed, Deoxys-A has everything it needs to tear gaping holes in the opposing team. Unfortunately, its poor typing and practically negative defenses offer little synergy wise to the team, and as any Deoxys-A user is well aware, even relatively weak neutral attacks will easily knock it out, meaning that extensive team support is usually necessary to facilitate a clean sweep. Even with Tthese faults aside, however, Deoxys-A is certainly a threat to prepare for. [I just don't think 'however' fits the sentence]

[Set]

[Set comments]

Deoxys-A’s bread and butter set, and one of the tier’s premiere offensive antileads, this set can take on most leads in the current metagame and come out on top. Ice Beam is standard fare for hitting the plethora of Dragon-types in the tier, as well as having good neutral coverage in general, though Psycho Boost, Deoxys-A’s strongest attack, can replace it if brute force is more important to you than coverage; the extra power can make dealing with bulky opponents that you can not normally hit super effectively, such as Palkia, much easier, as it deals a massive 85.4% minimum to the standard Choice Scarf set. Extremespeed is a must for taking out weakened opponents, such as Focus Sash Deoxys-S, and landing a decent hit on Choice Scarf users attempting to revenge kill Deoxys-A after it has scored a kill; it also provides midgame revenge killing utility should Deoxys-A survive that long, which happens more often than you would think thanks to the advent of team preview. The third slot is a toss up between Superpower and Hidden Power Fire; the first is generally the more useful choice, hitting most Steel-types, Kyogre, Darkrai, Tyraintar, and Normal-type Arceus hard, while the latter quickly dispatches Forretress, Scizor, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn, provided at least neutral weatheras long as rain is not present. Shadow Ball and Magic Coat are both good options to round off the set. Shadow Ball, in conjunction with Extremespeed, [added commas] consistently limits Deoxys-S to one layer of entry hazards, which is still an important benchmark, despite its rarity in today’s metagame; it also completes the unresisted Ghost / Fighting combination in tandem with Superpower, and scoresinflicts major damage on the omnipresent Psychic- and Ghost-types in the tier. Magic Coat, while a bit unorthodox on something as offensive as Deoxys-A, makes Darkrai think twice about using Dark Void, and can shove Forretress, Deoxys-S, and other support-centric lead’s entry hazards back in their face; keep in mind, however, that without Shadow Ball, this set is very venerablevulnerable [venerable=wise/noble] to Wobbuffet, as nothing elseno other attack can hope to score a 2HKO without a critical hit.

[Additional comments]

Max Speed and Special Attack with a Mild nature are used to make the most of Deoxys-A’s amazing offensive stats, whilste only sacrificing its irrelevant Defense, as it will not be surviving any hits, which is why it carries Focus Sashand is utilizing a Focus Sash, anyway; the remaining 4 should go into attack to support Superpower and Extremespeed. An alternative spread of 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Spe allows you to outpace Mewtwo and other base 130 Speed Pokemon with the imperfect Speed IV from Hidden Power Fire. Using max Speed in tandem with Hidden Power Fire is not advised, as the point lost in Speed will prevent a speed tie with an opposing Deoxys-A, the only common Pokemon at the 150 base Speed tier, so dropping to 395 Speed (just above the 130 base Speed tier) and shifting the remaining EVs to Attack is an acceptablethe preferred choice. Deoxys-A also has the option of running Fire Punch with perfect IVs, but it will not hit as hard due to unequal Attack investment. Deoxys-A carries Focus Sash for the sole purpose of attacking at least twice. Its Focus Sash is almost certain to be activated given Deoxys-A's horrendous defenses.

As a dedicated lead, Deoxys-A does not require much support from the team. Should you forgo Magic Coat, a sleep absorber will be necessary, as Choice Scarf Darkrai will outspeed and incapacitate Deoxys-A with Dark Void before it can use Superpower. RestTalk + Calm Mind Kyogre is a great teammate in this regard, as it does not mind being put to sleep, and can retaliate with Sleep Talk, either drowning Darkrai with Surf, or setting up for an early sweep with Calm Mind; beware of switching Kyogre into a Trick, however, as a Choice item will cripple it. If the set lacks Hidden Power Fire, lead Scizor can also cause problems; fortunately, though, a defensive Kyogre is generally an apt switch in to most Scizor, as well. Though not commonly seen as a lead, Giratina-O can take Deoxys-A out with consecutive Shadow Sneaks, though both Ice Beam and Psycho Boost will deal a crippling blow to it. Dialga can easily switch into a resisted Shadow Sneak and scare Giratina-O off, or OHKO it with STAB Dragon-type moves.
I have noticed that you like using the word 'however' in the middle of clauses.
Most of the large changes were just for the flow of the sentence in my opinion.

about the fighting move, I know Low Kick it's "better" except when facing Chansey/Blissey but what about Drain Punch? Lower BP than Superpower I know, but ppl used to run Brick Break on him as well. Drain Punch could heal him back to full health.

IMO best set (non-lead actually) is
Tbolt (nails Ho-oh despite the weather)
Ice Beam
Fighting move (Drain Punch/Low Kick for me)
Fire move (I'd go for Fire Punch because most steels invest in SpDef anyways)

With Deoxy's frailty, being at full health isn't really worth using a Fighting move that's only half as powerful as Superpower. If anything, Brick Break is better since it lets Deoxys finish off Focus Sash Dual Screeners.

about the fighting move, I know Low Kick it's "better" except when facing Chansey/Blissey but what about Drain Punch? Lower BP than Superpower I know, but ppl used to run Brick Break on him as well. Drain Punch could heal him back to full health.

IMO best set (non-lead actually) is
Tbolt (nails Ho-oh despite the weather)
Ice Beam
Fighting move (Drain Punch/Low Kick for me)
Fire move (I'd go for Fire Punch because most steels invest in SpDef anyways)
Hmmm I haven't tested it so I can't really say for sure, I will get back to you later tonight.

So I've been using him as a non-lead and it's kinda hard getting a switch-in (more like you can't switch in). Anyways, here is the set I use:

Deoxys-A @ Life Orb
Mild
20 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 236 Spe

Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Drain Punch
Fire Punch

Yes, sometimes you really want the ES but I think it goes well with offensive teams. Speed beats + nature Mewtwo, rest goes into special attack and attack. Notice that even with just 20 Atk EVs it has more attack than a 252 EVs Jolly Rayquaza. The only thing you gotta watch is the Fighting move bait, because most teams have Gira-O which always OHKO with SS. You have to predict most of the times but it OHKOs most Support Groudon without too much SpDef investment. 2HKOs Ho-oh with Tbolt (OHKO with rocks) and Drain Punch 2HKOs Chansey. The ideal situation is against stall where you switch in to Blissey or Chansey and there is only one layer of toxic spikes (so they can't twave you). I feel that is better to run Fire Punch than HP Fire but I guess to each its own.

I found DPunch to be mildly useful on the sub set because it can net an extra turn or two and still get some damage in, but for the most part I found the recovery almost irrelivant without sub on the set, and I feel that the base power difference is not worth it on deo-a, as it literally can not afford to miss out on a KO, or its dead, regardless of the HP it gets back. It was hugely useful for chansey/blissey, though, as they brought me back to at least near health.

Overall I don't think that it needs its own set, mostly because I liked the regular LO set a bit more, but I have no qualms about putting both drain punch and t-bolt mentions in the AC/OC.

I would appreciate it if qc would weigh in on this.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah i agree with gigity, both Drain Punch and Thunderbolt should just get AC mentions. Deoxys-S doesnt exactly need Recovery since it is so frail, full or not, it will be KOed one shot by near everything. Rather Deo-A should try to kill everything as long it lives it short life. Apart from these, the two the sets are almost the same. Also you are missing your <p></p> tags around the paragraphs.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
moving because this hasn't been touched in months. If the author wants to continue working on it, contact one of the mods to move it back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)