Detective Pikachu (Possible Spoilers)

Detective Pikachu's model reminds me that of Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS Pikachu, just chubbier all around, so I'm not at all bothered by it (actually it makes me want to use him as a Smash Bros costume, especially when I got subtle Smash 4 vibes at about 0:08 in the video).

To be honest, I'm actually looking forward to seeing how this game will turn out. I don't know if I'd get the game myself even if more details arrive soon, but at least I'll be interested in the cinematic scenes and in how this game will fit into the Pokémon universe.

Is that seriously... a Pikachu running for its life on its hind legs?

Never thought the designers had to be reminded of this, but Pikachu is quadrupedal.
Name a time that Meowth ran on all fours in the anime. I would guess that learning how to speak human and being bipedal tend to coincide.

But didn't Meowth specifically teach himself to be typically bipedal, though, as one of the qualifications to impress the female, by being more "human"? Not to say that Detective Pikachu couldn't have done something similar, but even then, his body type lends more to running on four legs, even more so than Meowth's, despite the fact that he can walk on two. The creators probably did it this way to differentiate him further from a normal pikachu, and to make him seem more human. The concept is silly enough that he might as well ignore his instincts if he thinks he's human.

If Meowth can't use attacks because of his specialliized training, I wonder if this pikachu is unable to as well.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Meowth has consistently been portrayed as a bipedal cat, though. Check out all the Meowth sprites, models and artwork on Bulbapedia, only very rarely will you see one on all fours. Meowth being quadrupedal is an "informed ability" at best, since every game freaturing Meowth shows it walking on two legs, though occasionally it sits down with its front paws touching the ground.

I'm not entirely sure how much influence Team Rocket's Meowth had on the design of meowth as a pokémon, but the other notable instances of a meowth in the Gen I anime, Meowzie and Meowth's clone, depict them as quadrupedal in actual movement, rather than bipedal. Meowth was originally quadrupedal as well, but he specifically recounted having learned to walk like a human to impress Meowzie.

At the same time, however, the only ingame reference to a meowth walking in Gen I is in Pokemon Pinball, where it's shown to be bipedal. It might have been Rocket's Meowth, or it might not have been, but Pokémon was fairly inconsistant with how meowth moved in that era. The thing that sticks with me, though, is Meowth specifically teaching himself to walk on two legs, as that is as close to genuine anecdotal evidence as we have on the matter from an actual meowth.

I understand what you mean, though. Meowth is certainly a bipedal pokémon now, particularly after Tyson's Meowth showed that Rocket's Meowth wasn't an isolated incident. I'm just not sure how much of that is the designer's original intention, and how much of it is because of Meowth as an icon. My point was that if Rocket's Meowth could learn to run on two legs, why couldn't Detective Pikachu, ridiculous as it may be.

If this is to be a proper pokemon detective game, they need to add the right pokemon as villains and myterious ghost/dark/psychic/poison/fairy types need to be added.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Boy: So who is the criminal Pokemon that knocked out this poor fainted Pokemon?
Pikachu: How often have I said to you *tapping his cap with his finger and winking* that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?
Boy: You can't mean- *puts hand to mouth in awe*
Pikachu: Elementary! There is only one Pokemon that could have given the fainted Pokemon a ticking time bomb.... *closes eyes*
Pikachu Ace Detective Cornered Theme starts playing in the background
And it has to be you! *points, hand outstretched and accusatory* Delibird! You gave the Tailow a Present!!!
A whiplash sfx is played in the background to add tension
Delibird: *grimacing* you - you have no proof!
Pikachu: That piece of 3M gift wrapping tape on your wing says otherwise!
Delibird: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *proceeds to tear out feathers on head before he collapses, then stands back up and we see his true persona - a bald bird that doesn't look like Santa Clause at all*

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yay! Driftblim balloon ride!!!
Diamond/Y/Alpha Sapphire: It's drowzy in daytime, but flies off in the evening in big groups. No one knows where they go.
Pearl/X/Omega Ruby: It carries people and Pokemon when it flies. But since it only drifts, it can end up anywhere.
Platinum/Black/White: At dusk, swarms of them are carried aloft on winds. When noticed, they suddenly vanish.
You enjoy that nowhere ride to oblivion.

Boy: So who is the criminal Pokemon that knocked out this poor fainted Pokemon?
Pikachu: How often have I said to you *tapping his cap with his finger and winking* that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?
Boy: You can't mean- *puts hand to mouth in awe*
Pikachu: Elementary! There is only one Pokemon that could have given the fainted Pokemon a ticking time bomb.... *closes eyes*
Pikachu Ace Detective Cornered Theme starts playing in the background
And it has to be you! *points, hand outstretched and accusatory* Delibird! You gave the Tailow a Present!!!
A whiplash sfx is played in the background to add tension
Delibird: *grimacing* you - you have no proof!
Pikachu: That piece of 3M gift wrapping tape on your wing says otherwise!
Delibird: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *proceeds to tear out feathers on head before he collapses, then stands back up and we see his true persona - a bald bird that doesn't look like Santa Clause at all*
Well people did say Delibird was a payne.

-You're a loose cannon pikachu, a real live-wire. I want your hat and badge on my desk.
-Which one Chief? Boulder or Cascade?
-Cascade. If I catch you cutting a 'perp again you're fired.
-Aw Chief, I was just roughin 'im up!

In all serious now, do you think Gamefreak will let the story get dark? I mean, not that Pokemon games are entirely squeaky clean but most of the bad stuff is just heavily implied rather than flat-out stated. I don't think they have to go MURDER (say it in a Hot Fuzz voice) but if Ace Attorney and Layton can get away with it (even if Layton games tend to make it mostly all right by the end) then why not here?

I do wonder how it could handle a gritty detective story with a freaking Pikachu as the star though. But at the same time I don't know how intriguing of a crime story you can craft in a town without a little drop of poison (Tom Waits for Pikachu voice dub).

They game is warming on me, although I still think that Pikachu is ugly. Just entertainingly ugly now.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't know what TPCi will allow because this is so bizarre in the first place, but the trailer shows Detective Chu finding what appears to be a dead body.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I don't know what TPCi will allow because this is so bizarre in the first place, but the trailer shows Detective Chu finding what appears to be a dead body.
Well, murder victims are a thing in Japanese detective shows, even in detective anime aimed at children, such as Konan.
But I agree, I would like to see how TPCi censors all these.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
If I was to make a prediction, I'm going to guess the central mystery will probably involve where did the boy partner, Tim Goodman, come from and why did he come to Rhyme City. If there is any murder involved in the story it'll be a background/framing device, something that happened off screen a while ago so not focused on that much but eventually revealed it has something to do with Tim. I don't think we'll get a "we've been put on a murder case, let's examine the body and crime scene" sort of deal but I wouldn't push some kind of murder out of the picture entirely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)