Pokémon Diggersby

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always found Diggersby to be extremely... meh. I won't deny that he's a wrecking ball, but he seems outclassed by other Huge Power users. If we don't take Huge Power into account, his stats are mediocre at best. His STAB combo, while interesting, is really odd and Diggersby finds himself walled by Gengar or any Steel-type holding a balloon, at least on the first turn. I prefer Azumarill or Mega Mawile for my Huge Power users.

I've found the exact opposite. Azumarill, while neat with Belly Drum, was disappointing. I was having a lot of trouble finding opportunities to set up, and Aqua Jet just wasn't cutting it often enough. Diggersby, on the other hand, is unprecedentedly fast for his power (Slaking and Regigigas hardly count) and can further boost it with Agility. I've lost count of the number of times I've been facing down someone's bulky attacking Rotom-W and outspeed and one-shot it with Return. You can't do that with Azumarill. Now, you've got significantly less natural bulk, but you trade that for effectively equal wall-breaking and revenging (compare Quick Attack to Aqua Jet) and MUCH better mid-game sweeping.

I've found the exact opposite. Azumarill, while neat with Belly Drum, was disappointing. I was having a lot of trouble finding opportunities to set up, and Aqua Jet just wasn't cutting it often enough. Diggersby, on the other hand, is unprecedentedly fast for his power (Slaking and Regigigas hardly count) and can further boost it with Agility. I've lost count of the number of times I've been facing down someone's bulky attacking Rotom-W and outspeed and one-shot it with Return. You can't do that with Azumarill. Now, you've got significantly less natural bulk, but you trade that for effectively equal wall-breaking and revenging (compare Quick Attack to Aqua Jet) and MUCH better mid-game sweeping.
Scarf is just as viable and helps to make it such a potent member of a Volt-turn team in that it is quite capable of cleaning up the opposing team once whatever Pokemon that hinders its Normal OR Ground type STAB has been eliminated you're free to go hog wild with one of the other and proceed to clean up. I especially enjoy it when I see a team that is entirely grounded, once I've scouted and eliminated any potential scarfers or balloon holders I just watch the entire team fall to Earthquake from Diggersby.

could u use assault vest on it and forgo agility and Sd for more Defense and attack? You coudl use it in place of life orb , you wouldnt pacc as much of a punch but it would have more survivablility and still get some kind of boost plus the extra defense might let it come in on something a little better

Last edited:
A core of my new team:

RestTalk Azu
Agility Diggy
Specs Magnezone
Mega Venusaur

Azu eats all priorities that his new big bro hates, Specszone shits on Ferrothorn, and Diggy sweeps lategame w/o problems in general

EDIT: Scizor u r died
EDIT: Megasaur stops Breloom cold

Last edited by a moderator:
could u use assault vest on it and forgo agility and Sd for more Defense and attack? You coudl use it in place of life orb , you wouldnt pacc as much of a punch but it would have more survivablility and still get some kind of boost plus the extra defense might let it come in on something a little better
I think Diggersby is lacking key resistances to make that work. He's weak to Ice, Water, and Grass, very powerful special attacking types all and he doesn't have the natural bulk like Goodra or Tyranitar to make it work.

Ignoring the fact that CB Azu is the best set anyway, I refuse to believe Diggersby gets MORE opportunities to set up BD and sweep with it than Azu. It's less bulky, has more weaknesses that are a lot more common with several fewer resistances, and is weak to 3 common priority moves (Aqua Jet, Ice Shard and Mach Punch). Aqua Jet is a better priority move for revenge killing than Quick Attack and Water/Fairy is practically unresisted STAB. If your opponent is not only letting you get off a BD but also an Agility, they're stupid.

Last edited:
just thought it wouldnt ever want to come in on spc attacks and should be played so but wouldn't assault vest give it a good boost without life orbs damage or does the damage not even matter that much
I think Diggersby is lacking key resistances to make that work. He's weak to Ice, Water, and Grass, very powerful special attacking types all and he doesn't have the natural bulk like Goodra or Tyranitar to make it work.

Last edited:

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ignoring the fact that CB Azu is the best set anyway, I refuse to believe Diggersby gets MORE opportunities to set up BD and sweep with it than Azu. It's less bulky, has more weaknesses that are a lot more common with several fewer resistances, and is weak to 3 common priority moves (Aqua Jet, Ice Shard and Mach Punch). Aqua Jet is a better priority move for revenge killing than Quick Attack and Water/Fairy is practically unresisted STAB. If your opponent is not only letting you get off a BD but also an Agility, they're stupid.
Diggersby doesn't even learn Belly Drum. And Belly Drum + Agility? What?

Actually, considering that Agility doesn't cut your HP by 50%, Diggersby has a shitton more chances to set up. Unlike Azumarill, you can be hit with an attack that has more power than a light shrug and still have a shot at sweeping, whereas you MUST have a Sitrus Berry with Azumarill, else you might not even have enough HP to use Belly Drum in the first place. You outspeed up to +1 base 105s after an Agility with max investment and an Adamant nature, whereas Azumarill remains horrifying slow, so if something comes in that can stomach a +6 Aqua Jet (a surprising amount considering the number of Pokemon that resist it) or something that outspeeds you with priority (Talonflame is actually one of the reasons I stopped running Azumarill altogether, much less BD Azumarill) you're quite done.

I'll be fair, I haven't run Choice Band Azumarill this gen, so I could just straight-up being using an entirely inferior set. But you COMPLETELY overlooked the fact that Belly Drum drops your HP by 50% of max, which is exactly BD Azumarill's problem. Hell, so far I've seen more Choice Rotom-W than literally every other Dragon put together, Choice or not, so just judging by that Diggersby has more set-up opportunities in Choice-locked Electric attacks than Azumarill does in Choice-locked Dragon attacks. Belly Drum has been, is, and will always be a niche move because of the HP cost. So yes, Azumarill WOULD have more set-up opportunities, if its lone set-up move weren't Belly Drum.

I'm not even going to get into how, while Water/Fairy MIGHT be better type coverage than Normal/Ground/Electric, Diggersby is more powerful 100% of the time (Adamant LO Return outdamages Adamant CB Play Rough) thanks to superior base Attack and superior BP on its moves, or how Diggersby's extremely efficient base 78 speed (the number of walls you outspeed with the right investment is staggering) means Diggersby is very dangerous even before a boost, whereas Azumarill faces being crippled with status or an attacking move by nearly every wall, while you do a laughable amount of damage with +0 itemless Aqua Jet.

how much does this thing enjoy sticky web being up im tryign to figure out if id like to try and choice mine or use life orb and Agilities messecity is the pivot between the two style

In all honesty, you should fully invest in speed with a Jolly Nature if you don't run Agility. You outspeed base 90's that have a neutral nature by a single point, so if Lucario or Moltres switch in after you killed something, they're more than likely dead after an EQ and Stone Edge, respectively.

I have found Agility to be the best set for me:

Diggersby @ Life Orb
Set: Agility baby guurrrrrrrrrrrl
Ability: Huge Power
Move 1: Return
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Stone Edge
Move 4: Agility
Nature: Adamant
EVS: 0/252/0/0/4/252

With one Agility, Diggersby hits 510 speed - outspeeding pretty much any scarfer that comes to mind (other than timid Heliolisk - which hits 520.5). Life orb, Huge power and Max Atk give Diggersby 619 atk without a boost at all. Basically, this set hits obscenely hard and outspeeds nearly everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excuses me OP? Normal/Ground a bad typing? Normal/Ground is only primarely walled by levitating/flying ghost/steel/rock pokemon. Only notable examples are regular Gengar, skarmory or rotom.

My opinions on Diggersby! Is it a solid OU/UU threat or just overrated because of his ability and decent stats? Thanks and have a nice day!

I have tested a looooot of sets for diggersby and have found this one to be the best

Diggersby @ Life Orb
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 0/252/0/0/4/252
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Return
- Agility

These EVs give a base atk of 232 and a base speed of 255. Huge power and life orb boost that atk to 619, more than doubling it. That base speed goes up to 510 after one agility (765 after 2 - not as stupid as it sounds when you die to residual damage when a pokemon uses rest. Provided they don't switch out (which few do), you can take easily set up 2 agilities which allow you to outspeed ALL scarfers (not just ones with a base speed of 105 or lower - most notable being Jolly Infernape, Timid Heliolisk as well as Hasty Greninja) (still only ine needed if you have sticky web set up and the opponent does not) and hit everything for obscene damage before it dies to Life Orb or Priority. This is not a pokemon that is made to sweep, but it has that huge capability. It is supposed to put huge holes in the opponents' pokemon (2HKO most of the meta - obvs exceptions being Trevanent, Gourgeist, Gliscor and Skarmory) so that powerful priority users can finish off (such as Mega-Pinsir, Standard/Mega-Scizor, Standard/Mega-Lucario [which could also go special with Vacuum Wave] or Conkeldurr [Guts + Bulk-up make obscene Mach Punches]).

Hey guys for a diggersby set of:

Abilities: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP, 252 ATK, 4 DEF
Item: Sitrus Berry/Weakness Policy
Moveset:
-Power-up Punch/ Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Quick Attack
-Wild Charge

I was wondering, is weakness policy viable on diggersby; can he take a super-effective hit? Also is swords dance better than power-up punch? Without power-up punch, a steel type with levitate or air balloon (like bronzong) or a ghost (like gengar) could potentially wall you (with the exception of wild charge). I think swords dance is better, because you should have a counter or check to the aforementioned pokemon, but I need more opinions!

I've been running a Jolly + Agility Diggersby and it has worked very well for me... but am I doing it wrong? All I'm seeing is people post Adamant + Agility sets. Doesn't matter to me since I'm just testing out sets on Showdown before I EV train my Bunnelby (have a few of both natures). Can anything unboosted even outspeed Jolly + Agility Diggersby? Haven't ran into a single thing yet, and I've been doing calcs compared to fast Pokemon scarfed and non-scarfed as well.

Been using this so far with success:

Diggersby @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Wild Charge
- Return
- Agility

Just because so many people are taking advantage of my CB Diggersby, I use E-Belt Diggersby. They have Gyarados and Aegislash. They predict me to go for Stone Edge predicting my prediction, so they stay in and set up an SD. Then they proceed to eat some of my shovel hand ears when I use EQ the next turn. The mayhem from the opponent's end after this is too priceless. :D Also, while I'm at it:
#diggersbytho

I've been running a Jolly + Agility Diggersby and it has worked very well for me... but am I doing it wrong? All I'm seeing is people post Adamant + Agility sets. Doesn't matter to me since I'm just testing out sets on Showdown before I EV train my Bunnelby (have a few of both natures). Can anything unboosted even outspeed Jolly + Agility Diggersby? Haven't ran into a single thing yet, and I've been doing calcs compared to fast Pokemon scarfed and non-scarfed as well.

Been using this so far with success:

Diggersby @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Wild Charge
- Return
- Agility
Adamant Diggersby is 510 Speed at +2, which outspeeds base 105s and below (also Deoxys-S). Jolly Diggersby hits 560 Speed at +2. There's not really anything that runs that much speed. Adamant is outsped by stuff like Scarf Terrakion and Keldeo, but those are very rare nowadays.

Hey guys for a diggersby set of:

Abilities: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP, 252 ATK, 4 DEF
Item: Sitrus Berry/Weakness Policy
Moveset:
-Power-up Punch/ Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Quick Attack
-Wild Charge

I was wondering, is weakness policy viable on diggersby; can he take a super-effective hit? Also is swords dance better than power-up punch? Without power-up punch, a steel type with levitate or air balloon (like bronzong) or a ghost (like gengar) could potentially wall you (with the exception of wild charge). I think swords dance is better, because you should have a counter or check to the aforementioned pokemon, but I need more opinions!
It's not like you are going to knock out Bronzong with Power Up Punch(it's a 40 base power move after all), so Swords Dance is better because it gives to Diggersby all the power it needs for such a set. Wild Charge is enough imho to KO the bronze bell. Weakness Policy is not viable, Diggersby has no buisness at taking SE hits.

It's not like you are going to knock out Bronzong with Power Up Punch(it's a 40 base power move after all), so Swords Dance is better because it gives to Diggersby all the power it needs for such a set. Wild Charge is enough imho to KO the bronze bell. Weakness Policy is not viable, Diggersby has no buisness at taking SE hits.
True, I ended up going with swords dance and sitrus berry/silk scarf, although maybe weakness policy is ok for a non-STAB SE move? I've seen diggersby take surfs from vaporeon (obviously STAB) and random ice beams. I just don't know how the weakness policy on this set would hold in the current metagame. Maybe we need a calc for this set taking an ice beam or sacred sword from things like starmie and aegislash

252+ Atk Aegislash-Shield Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diggersby: 148-176 (47.5 - 56.5%) -- 84.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 296-351 (91.3 - 108.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
I really dont see any reason why anyone is claiming him to be a shaky counter. Only relaxed aegislash can take an earthquake, and he can hit for even less than the adamant set. Oh shit.

CB Diggersby > Life:
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 306-360 (100.6 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 366-432 (109.5 - 129.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Roost)
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 848-1002 (301.7 - 356.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Diggersby: 228-272 (73.3 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Shall I go on, or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)