Ditto

While I feel that Ditto is not a top tier OU threat, it successfully shuts down some of the most dangerous set-up sweepers in the tier. For example, the much hyped DD Outrage Moxie Mence is completely shut down if they opponent has a Ditto, as the player with Mence will not like the prospect of being counter swept by their own Pokemon. Ditto cannot be thrown onto any team, but if you look at your team and realize you're weak to set-up mons, then Ditto is the right man for the job.

What's the point? You can't RNG him thanks to the stupid Hidden Hollow mechanics, so he'll still be outsped by almost all flawless Pokemon he switches in on.

What's the point? You can't RNG him thanks to the stupid Hidden Hollow mechanics, so he'll still be outsped by almost all flawless Pokemon he switches in on.
Transform/Imposter directly copies final stats, regardless of base stat/EV/IVs, so it'll always have the same speed stat as the opponent.

Not to mention you're going to be throwing Choice Scarf on it anyway....

Transform/Imposter directly copies final stats, regardless of base stat/EV/IVs, so it'll always have the same speed stat as the opponent.

Not to mention you're going to be throwing Choice Scarf on it anyway....
Does that include Nature? So, for example, if I have a Quiet Imposter Ditto, and I switch it to a Jolly Haxorus (after another of my pokemon fainted, of course), will Ditto now have the stats of a Jolly Haxorus or a Quiet Haxorus?

Using Ditto as a scout is brilliant. Just now in a battle my opponent was running a special landorus (oddly enough) and ditto was able to scout his moves...no stone edge...so later on i knew my volcarona could quiver dance in the landorus' face without fear of a OHKO. Since often a battle is a battle of information, just knowing the moves of one pokemon can give you a free switch-in...and when the switch-in is something lethal like volcarona, it's worth the team slot.
Thats a really smart way to use ditto. Do you still throw a scarf on him like everyone else as a counter sweeper?

Using Ditto as a scout is brilliant. Just now in a battle my opponent was running a special landorus (oddly enough) and ditto was able to scout his moves...no stone edge...so later on i knew my volcarona could quiver dance in the landorus' face without fear of a OHKO. Since often a battle is a battle of information, just knowing the moves of one pokemon can give you a free switch-in...and when the switch-in is something lethal like volcarona, it's worth the team slot.
I've never been a ditto fan but that could be a very effective use for him.

Does that include Nature? So, for example, if I have a Quiet Imposter Ditto, and I switch it to a Jolly Haxorus (after another of my pokemon fainted, of course), will Ditto now have the stats of a Jolly Haxorus or a Quiet Haxorus?
It copies the exact stats at the moment of the switch bar HP.

So, Iv's, Ev's, natures, stat up moves, the lot.
So basically, it can perfectly revenge kill anything that isn't holding a scarf.
Letting your opponent set up any amount is no longer a problem as long as you have death fodder.

The only problem with us currently being unable to RNG is the fact that while imposter copies stats, it doesn't take on the IV's of the thing it copies, meaning that Ditto will have it's own Hidden Power type, not the opponents.

The only problem with us currently being unable to RNG is the fact that while imposter copies stats, it doesn't take on the IV's of the thing it copies, meaning that Ditto will have it's own Hidden Power type, not the opponents.
http://veekun.com/dex/moves/transform

IVs are copied for the purposes of Hidden Power, but stats are not recalculated.

Essentially, Ditto also copies Hidden Power Type/Power.

Just grab a max HP Ditto and you're set, no need to worry or even RNG.

I have serious reservations as to how well this actually revenge kills as well as people claim it does. Sure, it might discourage some sweepers from setting up, but isn't whether or not it can revenge kill dependent on whether the opponents' mon has a move that can deal sufficient damage to itself? For example, if Ditto were to copy the stats of a boosted Volc, would it not fail to KO while they simply dispose of you due to your low HP?(Assuming Fire Blast/Fiery Dance here, not Hurricane, although would that even KO?)

Well, you would get the first hit due to scarf, allowing you to get in one extra hit, making up for the small HP difference. Ditto has around 300HP with 252 Evs, while a 252 Spe/Sp.Atk Volcarona has 311HP, so its not a huge difference anyway, and that goes for most pokemon. Especially if Volcarona got some damage prior. I used it on my mono normal team, and it does have a bit of trouble against some Calm Mind/Bulk Up/Curse pokemon though, namely Scrafty and Cresselia were ones I had trouble with. Heracross also caused some problems, being resistant to both his stabs and Stone Edge potentially missing.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is there a possibillity that you have to use transform because imposter doesn't work?
Unless you're referring to some previous post that I missed, if Imposter didn't work then Transform won't either. The two cases where Imposter does't work (unless PO's sim is wrong), are when the opponent has a Sub, or you are trying to copy an Illusion Pokemon. Using Transform against these two cases also fails, so you're just left with a sitting Ditto.

So in the rare case that imposter fails, should you then have speed evs or defensive evs to take hits (lets say in theory they switch, die under sub, or dieing to sand or toxic)? Would you then want maybe a spread of 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Jolly. Or with bulk 248 HP / 100 Def / 150 SpD Bold. (248 to decrease damage from 3 layers of spikes) Im just wondering since I have yet to use and really don't plan on using it.

On a side note I haven't seen much of this thing at all, im rather surprised I thought there would be a lot of hype.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
In the rare case that Imposter fails, you lose Ditto. Since you probably won't be switching it in on a Substitute, Imposter failing means you just switched in on Zoroark. Not a good situation for Ditto.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD would be ideal if your Ditto happens to confront another Ditto in a PP stalling battle, though the chances of this would be very astronomical. Essentially, if you're slower than the other Ditto, then the faster Ditto will lose because it will have Stuggle'd itself to death. Meanwhile, all the defensive investment means taking more Struggles from the opposing Ditto.

tl;dr don't be fast.

Transform will also fail to copy an illusion, so don't try getting into a war when it comes to that (with the Jolly spread. Like, don't ever use it).

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
In the rare case that Imposter fails, you lose Ditto. Since you probably won't be switching it in on a Substitute, Imposter failing means you just switched in on Zoroark. Not a good situation for Ditto.
Not just switching in on Zoroark, either. If Ditto switches in on a disguised Ditto, Imposter fails. I saw this while Nbz was streaming and both him and his opponent were using an Imposter Ditto.

Regardless, Imposter was all Ditto really wanted. Do you for some reason want to trap a Magnezone? Ditto's your man. Theoretically, you could trap Dugtrio in a similar fashion. Salamence up to +3 and your Mamoswine's dead? Ditto can take care of it. It might just be the most versatile revenge killer in the game.

Only thing I don't like is that if you want to use the opponent's Hidden Power against them, you have to set your IVs as such. Normally I want Ditto to take care of offensive Volcarona, so I use IVs for HP Rock. Don't know about other Hidden Powers, though. What do the rest of you guys use IVs on Ditto for, Hidden Power-wise?

Not just switching in on Zoroark, either. If Ditto switches in on a disguised Ditto, Imposter fails. I saw this while Nbz was streaming and both him and his opponent were using an Imposter Ditto.

Regardless, Imposter was all Ditto really wanted. Do you for some reason want to trap a Magnezone? Ditto's your man. Theoretically, you could trap Dugtrio in a similar fashion. Salamence up to +3 and your Mamoswine's dead? Ditto can take care of it. It might just be the most versatile revenge killer in the game.

Only thing I don't like is that if you want to use the opponent's Hidden Power against them, you have to set your IVs as such. Normally I want Ditto to take care of offensive Volcarona, so I use IVs for HP Rock. Don't know about other Hidden Powers, though. What do the rest of you guys use IVs on Ditto for, Hidden Power-wise?
I believe that trapping moves cancel each other out?

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I believe that trapping moves cancel each other out?
It does that with Shadow Tag, so no trapping DW Chandelures. However, I don't think it works the same way for Magnet Pull and Arena Trap.

EDIT: Just checked, and I saw nothing about Magnet Pull or Arena Trap canceling the same abilities out, so I assume they do not.

Oh so Ditto is now released? damn..I remember fighting some guy a long time ago when bw first came out, I was on the verge of pulling a sweep with a Regigigas(I was just having some fun) and he stopped me using Ditto, I spent like 1/2 hour trying to tell him it wasn't released yet. He was trying to somehow convince me it was legal. That battle sorta blew, I won...but I really wanted to win with Regikickass. Anyways back on topic, with Ditto's new ability out I look forwardto see first hand what's it like.

^I wouldn't say perfect, considering a lot of BP teams hide behind Substitutes. So if you don't break the Sub/switch in before they Sub, Ditto can't counter them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)