DP Research Thread #2 ("New")

Status
Not open for further replies.
what has to be said first, in a double battle, revenge, avalanche, payback etc., moves which are affected by how the foe "behaves" get their boost only if the pkmn that is targeted by your attack activates your boost
Sorry to nitpick, but Payback couldn't possibly work that way. Payback doesn't care what the target did as long as it has already done something during the turn.

Good info about Revenge and Avalanche, though.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
well, I´m gonna double check the PMs I wrote to x-act when I tested payback, but I´m pretty sure that I didn´t get boosts when the oponents quick attacked before me or even attacked me unless my partner moves, be it a full restore or a switch in...which, again, means that your target has to move before you (any action)

revenge and technician work like this
1. revenge DOES get the technician boost if the effect is not activated (if in my case hitmontop wasn´t hurt by the target of revenge), revenge has 90 base power (unless there are more base power modifiers)
2. revenge DOES NOT get the technician boost if the target of revenge hurt you, the base power of revenge gets doubled, which means it has 120 base power
I'll confirm this one too I had this experience too since I use a Revenge Hitmontop which was doing normal damage a Intimidate Hitmontop would do with Revenge but without being hit it was doing significantly more damage than usual.

Basically the boosts come in this order.

Base Power -> Move Effect -> Technician -> STAB.

It kinda makes sense since the effect of Revenge is to boost the base power upon being hit. Its not a multiplier of overall power.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Payback has a normal priority modifier. It gets double damage if the targeted Pokemon goes before the user of Payback (even if the target Pokemon just switches out - switching out is done before anything else except Pursuit).

Avalanche and Revenge have a negative priority modifier. They get double damage if the targeted Pokemon did damage to the user of Avalanche or Revenge.

This is especially important to keep in mind in 2vs2. In 1vs1, this isn't too relevant.

Peterko

Never give up!
well after having to PP waste a paralyzed pachirisu (stupid lil thing) quick attacks to prove what I said...well

SITUATION 1: foe pachirisu quick attacks gyarados, gyarados paybacks snorlax, snorlax brick breaks gyarados, NO boost

SITUATION 2: snorlax used full restore, foe pachirisu quick attacks gyarados, gyarados paybacks snorlax, boost YES

SITUATION 3: partner snorlax used full restore (so it went first), gyarados used payback on snorlax, pachirisu charmed, boost YES

payback base power doubles if the oponent "acts" before you - uses an item, attacks before you or even switches, as using an item/switching is done always first, which makes payback a very cool choice prediction move (100 base if the oponent switches)

well, I´m gonna double check the PMs I wrote to x-act when I tested payback, but I´m pretty sure that I didn´t get boosts when the oponents quick attacked before me or even attacked me unless my partner moves, be it a full restore or a switch in...which, again, means that your target has to move before you (any action)
Right. I think we're misunderstanding each other and that we actually agree. You just seemed to be saying that your target must have attacked you to activate the Payback boost, but upon further inspection, that's not what you were saying at all. My apologies!

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
CopyCat is funny. I think I've found that it is guaranteed to use the last successful move of the opponent, as compared to any other possible theory. Just happened to be using it in PBR...
Scenario:
Salamence used Draco Meteor on Ambipom (100%)
Foe sent out Lucario
Salamence used Fire Blast (Miss!)
Lucario used CopyCat!
Lucario used Draco Meteor on Salamence (Pile of Roasted Salamence remains)

Even though Draco Meteor was used before Lucario came in, and Salamence made a different attack before Lucario used Copycat, Copycat copied the last SUCCESSFUL move by Salamence: Draco Meteor.
This is what I call "The WiFi experience that pissed me off most."
Oh, and in case you were wondering... Yes, it was a specsmence. Yes, the god damn monkey used Fling's Rock+Theif as its only two moves before it bit the dust. Annoying >.<

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Stuff Snatch used to work on:

• Aromatherapy
  • Camouflage
  • Charge
  • Ingrain
  • Light Screen
  • Mist
  • Psych Up
  • Recover
  • Reflect
  • Refresh
  • Safeguard
  • Stockpile
  • Substitute
  • Swallow
  • All self-effecting stat ups (including Belly Drum and Defense Curl)

Stuff Snatch didn't used to work on:
  • Bide
  • Conversion
  • Curse (used by a Ghost or otherwise)
  • Destiny Bond
  • Detect
  • Endure
  • Grudge
  • Helping Hand
  • Imprison
  • Mud Sport
  • Protect
  • Recycle
  • Roll Play
  • Water Sport
  • Wish

Stuff that wasn't tested:
  • Counter
  • Follow Me
  • Magic Coat
  • Mirror Coat
  • Snatch

New moves:
  • Aqua Ring
  • Defog
  • Gravity (unless it effects the whole field, like a weather condition)
  • Heal Block
  • Healing Wish
  • Lucky Chant
  • Lunar Dance
  • Magnet Rise
  • Metal Burst
  • Power Trick
  • Psycho Shift (how would targeting of this work in 2v2 if it is Snatchable?)
  • Roost
  • Tailwind

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Two notes on Copycat. You can Copycat yourself.

Turn #1
Opponent does something.
Lucario used Roar!
Opponent is blown away.

Turn #2
Lucario used Copycat! Lucario used Roar!
Opponent is blown away.

However, you can't Copycat your own Copycat.

Turn #3
Lucario used Copycat! Copycat failed!

I haven't tried using Copycat on an opponent that has used Copycat.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does Recycle restore an item lost to Fling, Nature Gift, Bug Bite, Pluck, Embargo, Knock Off, Covet, Thief, Trick, or Switcheroo?

If a Pokemon uses Rage, the other Pokemon uses Agility, and then hits the Pokemon that used Rage last turn before the Rage user can move again, does it still boost Attack?

What is Psywave's range of power / damage?

Does Fury Cutter still require consecutive hits to boost damage?

How many stages does Stick boost Farfetch'd's CH rate?

What is Focus Band's chance to activate?

Turn #1
Opponent does something.
Lucario used Roar!
Opponent is blown away.

Turn #2
Opponent is blown away.

Turn #3

Also Copycat in 2v2 copys the last move sucessfully used on the field up to the point of its use by its user(not sure of what it won't copy if there is it probably copys the last copyable move on the field)

uses of this if your ally uses a stat up and your copycat user can go after it it also uses the stat up in a sort of makeshift psych up

Does Recycle restore an item lost to Fling(No), Nature Gift(Yes), Bug Bite(No), Pluck(No), Embargo(Need further testing), Knock Off(No), Covet(No), Thief(No), Trick(No), or Switcheroo(No)?

See above.

If a Pokemon uses Rage, the other Pokemon uses Agility, and then hits the Pokemon that used Rage last turn before the Rage user can move again, does it still boost Attack?

Yes.

What is Psywave's range of power / damage?

1-x, x being your level multiplied by 1.5 (round down if decimal). So a level 100 Pokemon using Psywave would have a random base power of 1-150, averaging at 75.5 base power, ie, not worth using.

Yes.

12.5%. (1 in 8)
Hope that helps!

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sleep Talk only loses 1 PP against Pressure opponents as opposed to 2. I recall it being this way on NetBattle; I don't remember if it behaved this way in Advance or not.

Also, Embargo doesn't actually remove the held item, it just prevents its use. So Recycle will not have any effect.

I'm also not entirely certain that Psywave actually deals damage from 1 HP to 1.5x your level - I recall it being between 0.75x your level and 1.5x your level.

Also, Deucalion: did you test this yourself or did you look it up off some other website? We're actually looking for in-game confirmation, and to avoid getting incorrect data.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Mew used Fling! The flung Liechi Berry rises wild Bidoof's Attack.
Bidoof used Tackle!

Mew used Recycle! Mew found one Liechi Berry!

That info on Recycle is wrong.

I haven't tested Psywave, but I doubt it has variable base power. It probably does what it did before, random damage between 0.5 and 1.5x times your level.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Deucalion2 said:

Did you personally test this yourself? Remember that CHs seem to have changed slightly in DP (high CH moves now are only in domain 1 instead of domain 2, i.e. hit for CH only 1/8 of the time instead of 1/4, and Focus Energy increases your CH domain by 2 instead of by 1).

Deucalion2 said:

12.5%. (1 in 8)
Again, is this data from a personal test?

Forsety said:
I'll confirm this one too I had this experience too since I use a Revenge Hitmontop which was doing normal damage a Intimidate Hitmontop would do with Revenge but without being hit it was doing significantly more damage than usual.

Basically the boosts come in this order.

Base Power -> Move Effect -> Technician -> STAB.

It kinda makes sense since the effect of Revenge is to boost the base power upon being hit. Its not a multiplier of overall power.
Indeed it's not. And incidentally, neither is the Technician boost, since it boosts the move power as well.

Does Recycle restore an item lost to Fling, Nature Gift, Bug Bite, Pluck, Embargo, Knock Off, Covet, Thief, Trick, or Switcheroo?
As I recall Recycle can only recover items which have already gone out of play.

In other words it would not work with Embargo, Covet, Trick and Thief since the item is still in play, not to mention your item slot is full anyway in those scenario's. Even if your item slot is empty the Recycle will fail as long your opponent is still holding your item.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Sleep Talk only loses 1 PP against Pressure opponents as opposed to 2. I recall it being this way on NetBattle; I don't remember if it behaved this way in Advance or not.
I've been playing on Netbattle with Sleep Talk Kyogre for quite some time, and I'm sure that in a Pressure situation, Sleep Talk loses 1 PP if it chooses a support move and 2 PP if it chooses an offensive move. That's how it is on Netbattle, at least.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've been playing on Netbattle with Sleep Talk Kyogre for quite some time, and I'm sure that in a Pressure situation, Sleep Talk loses 1 PP if it chooses a support move and 2 PP if it chooses an offensive move. That's how it is on Netbattle, at least.
That's a detail I forgot to add. Sleep Talk lost only 1 PP using an offensive move against a Pressure opponent.

OK, I've posted this twice on the research threads before, but Fury Cutter does not require conscutive uses to boost damage. I checked it again, just to be sure.

Kricketune uses Fury Cutter on Roselia.
Kricketune uses Sing. Roselia falls asleep.
Kricketune uses Fury Cutter again for twice as much damage (no crit).

I have noted that Fury Cutter's power does reset if it misses.

Will somebody else please confirm this so that it can finally be posted to the main page?

Turn #1
Opponent does something.
Lucario used Roar!
Opponent is blown away.

Turn #2
Opponent is blown away.

Turn #3

Therefore this means that lucario is actually a psuedo hazer. I mean set sr and spikes then let lucario roar without getting hit by opponent who is not fast enough or not has a + speed priority move?

so this means that lucario is actually a psuedo hazer. i mean set sr and spikes then let lucario roar withou gettin hit by opponent who is not fast enough or not has a + speed priority move?
Yeah, but only every other turn. If you try Copycat twice in a row, you Copycat Copycat and get nothing.

It's still a neat idea and potentially very useful.

Peterko

Never give up!
tested PSYWAVE

it does 0.5-1.5 x your level damage, more precisely 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, 1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 or 1.5 x level damage, it is similar to seismic toss/night shade, it doesn´t show a super effective or NVE message

I tested it with a latios lv. 100 which did 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 130, 140 damage, and then a lunatone lv. 28 which did 28 (1x), 14 (0.5x), 19 (0.7x), 36 (1.3x) and 42 (1.5x) damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)