Eelektross

Someone just tried to use Earthquake on my Eelektross. Twice. I switched him in after my Gastrodon died, and the Choice-locked Landorus used Earthquake even after I Coiled.

seriously? Earthquake? Apparently he chose the wrong move.

-------------------------------------
Um, wait. Maybe we're going too fast.
*whimpering*

seriously? Earthquake? Apparently he chose the wrong move.

-------------------------------------
Um, wait. Maybe we're going too fast.
*whimpering*
Maybe, he was all "what is an Eelektross?" People never use him, so it is no surprise that the dude had no idea it had levitate.

yeah, his gyra' was his only phazor I think. After three coils his bulk becomes amazing, and zap cannon has near perfect accuaracy.

It's like a multiscale dragonite status spreader.

I'm not liking that Coil/Rest/Zap Cannon/filler set. Like pocket said, having an extremely shaky STAB that relies on set up to be even viable is questionable, but on top of that the free turns granted by using Rest will prove fatal to Tross. Latios, SpecsToed, etc can all come in and fire away at Eelektross' uncushioned SpD, knowing that if you switch, your sleep counter will reset.

how well does it take hits with a 252 hp 252 sp. defense sassy spread?
Since Eel has no weakness, you may test it against some of the most powerful special sweepers to get a better idea.

As an indicator of the bulkiness of Eel, 252 Sp.A Timid LO Latios with Draco Meteor can only score a 3KO vs 252 HP / 252 Sp.D Sassy Leftovers Eelectross. That's decent.

I seriously love this Poke; if I want to fit him on my OU team, what kind of support and two/three 'mon synergies can I use to greatest effect?

I seriously love this Poke; if I want to fit him on my OU team, what kind of support and two/three 'mon synergies can I use to greatest effect?
Eelectross effectively comes in on both of Gliscor's and Landorus' STAB attacks, and can somewhat resist Thundurus' attacks. It can also resist Dragonite's Hurricane. I've been using Eelectross as a way against Gliscor mostly (So Eelectross in replace of Rotom).

I've been running Modest 252 HP / 252 Sp.A Leftovers with Tbolt, Flamethrower, HP Ice, and Thunder Wave. I've been very pleased with Eel!

I can't help but feel sad that Thundurus outclasses Eelektross in so many ways. At least Eelektross has the element of surprise and fantastic typing though.

I liked Eelektross early on in Gen 5 but as it went on it became apparent he is only good as a mixed pivot mon especially in Trick Room teams. What I don't like about the Coil set is he has absolutely no resists to abuse it with or recovery. A Coil Eeletross in Sand or Hail is pure liability with no recovery ability and without access to his normally amazing mixed movepool but at least it allows you to get in important switch ins at full health if used as a pivot.

I can't help but feel sad that Thundurus outclasses Eelektross in so many ways. At least Eelektross has the element of surprise and fantastic typing though.
That's not necessarily true. The two Pokemon are quite different. While I'll admit that Thundurus is the more threatening (and better) of the two Pokemon, Eelectross has qualities that distinguishes it in a very positive way from Thundurus.

• Eel is not weak to SR while Thundurus is. Eel's lack of SR weakness while still being immune to Spikes/T. Spikes gives it a greater durability than Thundurus.
  • Eel has higher HP and Defense than Thundurus while they share the same Sp.D. Eel is the bulkier of the two (even though Eel needs it because of its speed).
  • Eel has no weaknesses while Thundurus is weak to Ice and Rock. This is particularly harmful to Thundurus because it can't switch in safely against Gliscor or Landurus without fearing Ice Fang/Stone Edge. Eel's typing also lets it take on Excadrill without falling instantly to Rock Slide such as Thundurus. Furthermore, Eel resists Tbolt while Thundurus is hit for neutral damage.
  • Eel has Flamethrower whereas Thundurus has to rely on the unreliable Focus Blast to hit Ferrothorn and Excadrill. While Focus Blast is helpful against Ttar, Eel has more reliable options such as Grass Knot and Brick Break to counter it.
I've highlighted the main characteristics that make Eel stand apart from Thundurus. The two Pokemon are quite different, as Thundurus is more of a sweeper while Eel plays a lot like Rotom. It would be better not to compare Eel to Thundurus but to compare Eel to Rotom. In this comparison, Rotom is bulkier and hardly has any weaknesses similar to Eel (Wash-form has only a weakness to Grass). Eel keeps from being completely outclassed by Rotom-W mostly by it's potential to be a mixed attacker and in having Flamethrower.

Special Coil set is good. Bulkyness (85-80-80) is not bad at all, but Speed is too low, even a Scarf won't help (252 EVs, Jolly/Timid/Whatever + Scarf has less than a non-boost 100 base). A mixed set (Brave-natured with 252 252 on attacks) for a Trick Room may be good, but you must use Trick Room (4 remaining turns), than switch (3), eventually use a Coil (2) and then you may really sweep.
No immunity (except for Ground, thanks to Levitate, but vanified by Mold Breaker of some Earthquake abuser such as Haxorus or Rampardos) and no useful resistances, only Flying, Steel and Electric. Is not something like Sableye, no weakness and A LOT OF moves that you can use for everything (set a weather, Toxic, WOW, Taunt, Torment, Recover, Confuse Ray, Trick and others)
A Choice Band set does not suck, but must carry Wild Charge, and that sucks. No useful Ice- and Ground-type moves for a coverage, and Hone Claws, one of the best boosting moves ever is completely unhelpful, boosting only Rock Slide and Crush Claw. Leftovers and Life Orb are the only good items, but carrying Life Orb you will lose 10% of max HP every attack, too much for its high defences
A Rest + Thunder Wave + Gastro Acid + Dragon Tail set may be good, but, even if has a respectable bulkyness, is too slow, and often it will not resist to so many attacks to use Rest.

Substitute + Charge Beam + Thunder + HP Ice in a Rain Team is pretty good, but Magnezone works well (135 SpAtk and not 105, and has 10 normal resistances and 2 x4, that means you it switch in on everything!). There are other good moves, such as Flamethrower, Grass Knot, U-Turn or Thunder Wave, but there isn't (or i can't find) a good way to use them
Overall: not-so-good

I'm not liking that Coil/Rest/Zap Cannon/filler set. Like pocket said, having an extremely shaky STAB that relies on set up to be even viable is questionable, but on top of that the free turns granted by using Rest will prove fatal to Tross. Latios, SpecsToed, etc can all come in and fire away at Eelektross' uncushioned SpD, knowing that if you switch, your sleep counter will reset.
It doesn't require set up really, its just handy if you can do it.

Mostly I use it as my phazor, and if I can get a coil I can spread paralysis as well. Thunder or thunder wave are equally good opitions to use. I mainly send him out on thats that will naturally switch out on him anways.

Lets make an item that has the effect of Wonder Guard, Eelektross would love it. Anyways I'm surprised that it has Levitate it actually caused me to lose my winning streak on the Battle Subway.

Eelektross is pretty much the worst thing since Electivire. Its far worse than Electivire even. Being outclassed by Electivire is a pretty bad place to be. Hell I'd rather use Luxray. At least Luxray has approximately base 160 attack with Guts or 145 base defense with intimidate. Eelektross is just slow, weak (85/80/80 takes hits about as well as Excadrill) and doesn't hit THAT hard. If you want a usable Electric look to Thundurus, Rotom W, Magnezone and Zapdos to a lesser extent. Eelektross is garbage.

Considering that Electivire was never bad (this anti-Electivire fad must stop) and Eelektross plays in a completely different way, I'm going to be blunt and say that the previous post is full of BS.
Explaining how Electivire was never bad is not a good way to start an argument.

Both the Coil/Dragon Tail and Acid Spray sets have their merits,
No, they don't. Acid Spray is a joke.

and I disagree when people say that it lacks useful resistances because even though they're few they're all useful.
Ground / Electric / Steel / Flying. Not the worst but its not winning any awards defensively.

It can reliably switch into a number of threats, including but not limited to: Thundurus,
lol. Thunderbolt or HP Ice + Focus Blast is a clean 2HKO on max HP after rocks.

Tornadus,
Specs Hurricane easily 2HKOs. LO Hurricane + HP Ice or Hammer Arm also 2HKOs.

Sub Roost just shits on Eelektross.

CB U-turn will strip 80% off it after rocks. Bullet Punch is the only attack it takes well. Fuck if all Eelektross does is resist Bullet Punch just use a Magnezone.

Dragonite
lol. Are you kidding. Do you really think Eelektross counters Dragonite. Even Hurricane 2HKOs after SRs. Not that HP Ice would even get close to a OHKO in return.

and Landorus
+2 Stone Edge easily OHKOs. Sub Landorus beats it. Scarf Landorus shitting U-turns beats it.

and then hit fairly hard from either side thanks to its large and unpredictable movepool.
Its not hitting very hard. Its only STAB moves are Thunderbolt and Wild Charge. Its not hitting hard compared to REAL threats like Thundurus, Terrakion and Haxorus. Hell its not even hitting as hard as Electivire who is still fucking terrible.

In short: no, Eelektross does not suck. It's not even close to be a bad pokemon.
No, sorry. Your argument is terrible. Eelektross is easily one of the worst Electric types in the game. If its Speed and one of the attacking stats were switched it might be a bit more usable but as of now its slow, reasonably frail and doesn't really hit THAT hard.

It's ironic to criticize the argumentative force of Rayquaza's defense while making the claim that Eel is one of the worst Electric types in the game. If you want to find a destitute electric type, take a look at Electrode, Plusle, Minun, Luxray, Pachirisu, Zebstrika, Emolga, or Stunfisk. Eel is no Thundurus, but do not exaggerate being generally less useful than 5-6 other electric types as being the worst. This website encourages informative comparison calculations on the top threats of a Pokemon's respected tier rather than throwing out unsupported claims.

Ok, I didn't really consider Pachirisu / other "cute rodents". Eel is still utter garbage in OU. Have you ever seen Eel used on a leaderboarding or tournament winning team? Have you ever heard a good player say ANYTHING about Eel other than it being shit?

Its simply not good. If its not hitting something Super Effective its NOT getting a KO. Its not bulky either. Maybe more so than Infernape, but if Eel takes a strong hit its probably going to be 2HKOed. Its also slow as ASS. Without near maxing speed you struggle to outpace even walls like Skarmory and Impish Gliscor.

Its NOT a good Pokemon. If you want me to wave fancy leaderboard ranks I will but it doesn't take a good player to see Eel is crap. Its common sense. Come on its just a slightly tougher Electivire with a worse movepool.

This pokemon is cool but its horrible speed and lack of reliable recovery hurts (esp. when it tries to set up).
I had an idea about making a set that's very annoying to switch into.

Eelektross@Leftovers
~Discharge
~Flamethrower
~Acid Spray
~Dragon Tail
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def

A pokemon coming in on the lamprey faces a considerable chance of paralysis, taking the next attack with harshly debuffed SpD, or being forced right back out again.
Flamethrower is mainly for discouraging steel switch-ins but it may also inflict a burn on the hax-prone.
Jirachi is a decent partner who can take powerful Dragon attacks and pass Wishes while the lamprey can take EQs intended for it.

EDIT: I just realized this is (superficially) close to the Acid Spray set on site while retaining the ability to phaze.
Still, I think that's essential since it differentiates the eel from Rotom, allows it to rack up residual damage, turn back a Mold Breaker Haxorus etc.
Also, I like electric moves with decent paralysis chance on Eelektross so Discharge over TBolt.
Acid Spray is a trump card to soften Pokemon who think they can wall the special attacks.

About all the talk about Eelektross being a bad pokemon. It's not that he sucks, but he simply doesn't compare to OU threats, as well as having to compete with better options like Thunderus and Rotom. Which is why he is in RU (Right?). When people say he's amazing, they're talking about his effectiveness in the RU metagame.

tldr: He's not bad, he's in RU. :P

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
About all the talk about Eelektross being a bad pokemon. It's not that he sucks, but he simply doesn't compare to OU threats, as well as having to compete with better options like Thunderus and Rotom. Which is why he is in RU (Right?). When people say he's amazing, they're talking about his effectiveness in the RU metagame.

tldr: He's not bad, he's in RU. :P
agreed Eelektross isn't bad at all, no weaknesses + decent bulk allows it to take a hit. As well as destroy some slower walls with its movepool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)