Escavalier

You guys are overlooking moves that AREN'T STAB's like Reversal and Faint attack. I've made a set for Trick room for use in the PO gen 5 Alpha when it gets back up so here it is with my own thoughts on it:

Shubarugo (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Dustproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- X-Scissor
- Faint Attack
- Reversal
- Swords Dance

An offensive beast! 405 Attack coupled with SD and fairly decent bulk means he's going to be cracking skulls. There's no way this bug is living an Overheat from a Shanderaa, Occa or not...

Anyway, X-Scissor is the basic STAB attack, unfortunately it can't learn Faint attack + Megahorn
, while reversal is the best fighting attack it gets which works nicely with the damage it'll take with it's bulk from setting up. A +2 Faint attack will OHKO 0Def/0HP Shanderaa. By how much? Take a look at this beast, 141% - 166.3%. So I decided to use Faint attack over Iron head. Fighting/Dark has near perfect coverage and bug on top doesn't really help it. Though + 2 Megahorn will probably OHKO all that resist it anyway. as long as it's not Skarmory who's taken down by Reversal when his HP is low enough.

a pokemon doesn't have to have a vast movepool, its the moves thats in the movepool.moves like reversal can damage a few steels in Ou. a powerful STAB megahorn, and to boost these moves even further swords dance. look at kingdra for example. its movepool is shallow but its the moves in the movepool. Also a notable is that it can use counter which is good for taking out the abundance of phsyical sweepers in the Ou.

god, i saw this guys base stats (which I think are better than scizors, tho he has a 5 point less BST) and I thought come on, PLEASE have bullet punch/gyro ball, any kind of solid physical move... but he's kinda a let down. but with 20 speed and NO priority moves, it doesn't matter how solid his attack and defenses are, he is going to be eating fire moves all day. Even if he gets up THREE swords dances, he can't even TOUCH ANY fire type or ANYTHING that runs hp fire. This guy might not even make uu, to be honest.

god, i saw this guys base stats (which I think are better than scizors, tho he has a 5 point less BST) and I thought come on, PLEASE have bullet punch/gyro ball, any kind of solid physical move... but he's kinda a let down. but with 20 speed and NO priority moves, it doesn't matter how solid his attack and defenses are, he is going to be eating fire moves all day. Even if he gets up THREE swords dances, he can't even TOUCH ANY fire type or ANYTHING that runs hp fire. This guy might not even make uu, to be honest.
Trick room says Hi. +2 Faint attack OHKO's Shanderaa. And Reversal after taking a few LO recoils will easily OHKO any fire type that isn't flying which Faint attack beats anyway.

yea he's weak to fire so tell me when people used scizor and they seen a fire pokemon. didn't they switch out. its usually common sense to switch out when you see a pokemon that has you weakness. i say that a good partner with this pokemon would be heatran which nulls fire attacks. thats what i did with scizor,and not making it in the uu i would say it will make it to the ou but if not that the uu,but thats up to the smogon council not us.

i would say it will make it to the ou but if not that the uu,but thats up to the smogon council not us.
Umm... that's actually up to us, the players. If we use Shubarugo enough, it'll be OU. The council has no word on this, unless they ban it to ubers of course.

I used to really rave about this poke, when I realized he didn't learn a single Fighting move >__<

What are your chances against Magnezone?

Umm... that's actually up to us, the players. If we use Shubarugo enough, it'll be OU. The council has no word on this, unless they ban it to ubers of course.
oh i got my info wrong. um i made a counter set for shubarugo. this has a HUGE chance of failure do to no recovery moves.
shubarugo:
252 hp,156 def,100atk
item: leftovers
counter
megahorn
pursuit(for when they realize you have counter0
swords dance/iron head

oh and shubarugo Does learn a fighting move which is reversal.

Reversal and Rock Smash. Eh.

Magnezone is 2HKOd by Choice Band Megahorn though.
Eh is right. I should have said relevant Fighting moves :D

Well if you put it that way, I see nothing wrong being locked into Megahorn, since you're bound to switch out after seeing the inevitable Fire-type user.

Okay, I can rave about him again :)

Reversal is relevant. In TR with LO it'll do massive amounts to pokemon that otherwise resist his STABs. I suppose we'll see if TR becimes popular after everyone experiences the Sandstorm wars that are gen 5 standard...

when i seen him i hyped him a lot. thats why i defended it a lot,but back on subject there are a lot of pokemon that can be a huge threat to shubarugo but just like scizor before it it can counter the big threats to other pokemon like the apearence of latias. A CB megahorn can easily ohko it and it cam take out Ttars w/o fire punch. it will be interesting to see how people use it. oh yea it can also be a formiable counter to pokemon locked into outrage, but it will lose a lot of hp.

what set???? really all the sets scream trick room. oh yeah i have a question why didn't no one note counter as a notable move.
Counter has already been mentioned. It isn't that good since it does damage based on HP loss and Shubarugo has a low 70 base HP so even if this guy loses a large chunk of health he'll not be dealing heavy damage with it. Maybe with a Focus Sash against Arcanine but that's about it.

Reversal is relevant. In TR with LO it'll do massive amounts to pokemon that otherwise resist his STABs. I suppose we'll see if TR becimes popular after everyone experiences the Sandstorm wars that are gen 5 standard...
To be honest, I don't think Reversal is a hugely competitive move on such a slow poke.

Here is the damage it does:

71% - 100% 20
36% - 70% 40
21% - 35% 80
11% - 20% 100
5% - 10% 150
1 HP - 4% 200

So as you can see Rock Smash is better unless you have 35% health or less. Rock Smash is also great because the Def drop eases prediction. If you're planning to use Reversal in Trick Room you'd have to set up TR when Shubarugo is already at low health otherwise by the time Life Orb drops him into powerful Reversal territory (say 15% health) TR will have worn off. That means Shubarugo has to take quite a bit of damage before using Reversal and as such it's a fairly useless move on him.

I don't see why everyone is like ''OMG TRICK ROOM SWORDS DANCE'', TRing and then SDing leaves you with only 3 turns to sweep, after that it falls back to its slow self. It can function outside it, but it has to be bulky enough to take some hits then.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
It's actually only two turns by the time you've switched Shubargo in. But yeah, setting up during Trick Room is generally a bad idea and Shubargo certainly isn't one of the few that can pull it off.

Rock Smash is also great because the Def drop eases prediction. If you're planning to use Reversal in Trick Room you'd have to set up TR when Shubarugo is already at low health otherwise by the time Life Orb drops him into powerful Reversal territory (say 15% health) TR will have worn off. That means Shubarugo has to take quite a bit of damage before using Reversal and as such it's a fairly useless move on him.
Rock Smash is a move in need of more appreciation/consideration when it becomes one of the only Fighting options for a physical hitter. Absol with Rock Smash was quite educational before Superpower.

Shubarook is one of the Gen 5's I've been looking forward to using.
I'd rather paralyze than Trick Room.

I'm of opinion as badass as this bug is its just a retarded Scizor.

As an all out attacker its simply outclassed by Scizor and the only way it can shine is by playing defensively. Problem even then though is its movepool sucks and is a worse supporter than even Scizor and its abilities are ehh at best.

Its not even that much defensively better, only s.def is significantly higher but HP is same and def is only 5 points higher. Good god the bloody thing can't even set up screens, I wouldn't be surprised if this thing fell into Gen 5's equivilent of UU because for all its power its rather underwhelming.

Also any Pokemon which has to rely on Trick Room for a set isn't worth it especially when it doesn't even make good use of it. It needs to be able to do something decent on its own.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
In it's defense it does have great typing and defenses to accomodate a switch-in and just start spamming Choice Band Megahorn. With a CB, Shubarugo's Megahorn is so hideously powerful that it 2HKO's even bulky resists like 248/0 Scizor and 252/0 Machamp.

Sad thing is those two sentences contained literally every good thing I have to say about Shubarugo.

edit: it looks cool too I suppose. Here's some calcs for Choice Band Megahorn:

vs 252/0 Machamp = 52% - 61%
vs 248/0 Scizor = 48% - 57%
vs 4/0 Garchomp = 96% - 113%
vs 252/252+ Suicune = 54% - 63%
vs 252/252+ Hippowdon = 50% - 60%

It actually has an almost identical damage output to Jolly Choice Band Aggron's Head Smash (Shubarugo averages 56% to Machamp whereas Aggron averages 55%).

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
This guy just seems like an inferior scizor to me. Yes, he is bulkier but that doesn't really matter because most pokemon who choose to run flamethrower/fire blast will OHKO him anyways. Today's metagames are built mostly around speed and priority abuse, and this guy lacks both of them.

Here's some calcs for Choice Band Megahorn:

vs 252/0 Machamp = 52% - 61%
vs 248/0 Scizor = 48% - 57%
vs 4/0 Garchomp = 96% - 113%
vs 252/252+ Suicune = 54% - 63%
vs 252/252+ Hippowdon = 50% - 60%

It actually has an almost identical damage output to Jolly Choice Band Aggron's Head Smash.
This actually tempts me (slightly) to experiment with pre-evo stone Golbat, but not quite. This thing is mighty! I think it's liable to cause a bit of chaos if it gets on safely, but only for a turn, as the opponent decides which poke would be okay with losing a majority of their health.

I actually got 49%-58% for CB Megahorn vs Hippowdon not sure if I got something wrong. You're right about it being hideously powerful and I imagine if you get it into Swarm regions it could pull off some ugly KO's.

But theres a big problem with the damage levels of Megahorn, I actually also got the exact same damage figures from an Aianto with +speed nature after one Claw Sharpen using X-Scissor.

Big issue here is it means this thing has competition even for its one niche of ridiculous bug damage + steel/bug typing something it could do without. On one hand you have a slow fairly sturdy steel bug vs a extremely fast steel bug with better physical defense but non-existant s.def with the exact same levels of damage and a non-sucky movepool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)