Escavalier

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I actually got 49%-58% for CB Megahorn vs Hippowdon not sure if I got something wrong.
607 Atk vs 368 Def & 420 HP (120 Base Power): 213 - 252 (50.71% - 60.00%)

But theres a big problem with the damage levels of Megahorn, I actually also got the exact same damage figures from an Aianto with +speed nature after one Claw Sharpen using X-Scissor.

Big issue here is it means this thing has competition even for its one niche of ridiculous bug damage + steel/bug typing something it could do without. On one hand you have a slow fairly sturdy steel bug vs a extremely fast steel bug with better physical defense but non-existant s.def with the exact same levels of damage and a non-sucky movepool.
Here's the calculation for +1 Jolly Life Orb Hustle Aianto using X-Scissor on the same Hippowdon.

690 Atk vs 368 Def & 420 HP (80 Base Power): 211 - 249 (50.24% - 59.29%)

It should be heavily emphasised that Aianto needs a turn of setup to get to those levels and that's not going to be very easy with 58 base HP and 48 base SpD. Not to mention he needs to lose 10% of his health every turn due to the Life Orb. On account of that, I don't think your comparison is entirely fair.

Swarm, STAB boosted CB Megahorns coming from this guy... that does not sound like anything any Pokemon would want to switch into.

when i first saw this guy he became one of my fav pokemon of the new gen then i saw his stats and typing and it just kept getting better, and then i saw his movepool. i looked up and down his moves over and over thinking i must be missing something but sadly no he has a horrible movepool. Besides better moves he has everything he needs to be a ou threat but he wont be very useful as he is now without better moves and type coverage.

edit: i am still going to try to use him but i dont expect much

Swarm, STAB boosted CB Megahorns coming from this guy... that does not sound like anything any Pokemon would want to switch into.
Adamant 252 Atk Choice Band Swarm boosted Megahorn vs

252 HP/252 Def Skarmory (+Def Nature)
21% - 24.9%

252 HP/0 Def Skarmory (Neutral Nature)
27.8% - 32.6%

252 HP/136 Def Evo Stone Dusclops (Neutral Nature)
41.5% - 49.3%

252 HP/20 Def Evo Stone Dusclops (+Def Nature)
41.5% - 49.3%

0 HP/0 Def Heatran (Neutral Nature)
36.5% - 43%

That being said outside of these guys just about everything else that can switch into him with relatively 'standard' sets either have a x4 Stealth Rock weakness or a x4 Rock Smash weakness. The only exceptions I can think of been Steelix, Desukaan and probably some more Evo Stone Pokemon. And very few of them have reliable recovery.

Where are these rock smash stuff coming from, you guys are missing out on something...
Let me point it out:

Shubarugo @ Custap Berry
Evs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 Sp.def
Nature: Adamant/Brave
Moveset:

- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Substitute
- Reversal

Megahorn is MEGAhorn. No need for a hefty explanation.
Iron head is your next choice of STAB and useful for scoring flinches in trick room usage.

Now to the point of the other two moves I have listed in conjunction with the chosen item:

The trick here is to switch on the opposition or on the switch that this pokemon walls the other in some way, likely forcing a switch since this pokemon has a scary attack stat, while you sub down. Now there may not be any leftovers on this set because you need this certain berry. If in doubt run a wish set and place it on your team.

Now you can get a free sub and the foe has to break the sub allowing you to retaliate...hard, not so harder with life orb but who runs a life orb set on a sub pokemon? (barring genger, etc). If you ever have the need to keep subbing on a pokemon (Heatran is the perfect example for what I have to say now) you sub down to a point where not only Custap berry kicks in, you also not only get to hit hard with reversal to compensate for the lack of a powerful fighting type move but you also get to keep that sub if you manage to score a K.O on the opposition. Which means the next pokemon has to break THAT current sub and risk getting hit in the process.

But half that explanation is just to demonstrate to people if they really want that one pokemon to get rid of heatran switch in if they fear it so damn much and that they don't have a good counter or switch in into that fire/steel spider.

It should have just the right amount of tools despite a very poor movepool.

This guy needs new moves from 'grey' so much. Although his megahorns are damn powerful he still gets walled by a lot of pokes. Especially Skarm walls the little leonidas to hell until he screams : this is WALLING ...

Where are these rock smash stuff coming from, you guys are missing out on something...
Let me point it out:

Shubarugo @ Custap Berry
Evs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 Sp.def
Nature: Adamant/Brave
Moveset:

- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Substitute
- Reversal
You do realize that running Megahorn/Reversal/Iron Head is just asking the Ghost jellyfish to switch in and laugh at you? All it has to do is sit there spamming Recover till your boosted Megahorn is disabled by Cursed Body than move in for the kill.

None of the moves there even remotely threaten it unless you can show that Swarm boosted Megahorn can 2HKO a physically defensive ghost jellyfish.

It should be heavily emphasised that Aianto needs a turn of setup to get to those levels and that's not going to be very easy with 58 base HP and 48 base SpD. Not to mention he needs to lose 10% of his health every turn due to the Life Orb. On account of that, I don't think your comparison is entirely fair.
Not necessarily, if your figures are correct than theres nothing to stop Aianto switching to a Choice Band and he'll have same levels of damage while keeping his ridiculous speed abeit with less accuracy obviously. Still the figures do show that CB Shubarugo is probably one of its best sets being able to switch in on alot of things and puncture the switch ins even with resistance. With that said the bug could even be considered somewhat of a counter against Scizor I guess?

But yeah, I'm getting a huge Flareon deja vu with this guy either way.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Aianto can't hold Choice Band and Life Orb at the same time though. Choice Band Hustle X-Scissor does 43%-51% to max/max Hippo (and is slightly less accurate than Megahorn).

Didn't say it was a good idea just that its a possibility, I'd still prefer the versatility of LO with its good movepool. Still its slightly sad that this things best strategy is literally spam Megahorn and hope it doesn't get hit by fire but least it works.

he does have the potential to be a beast in trickroom and the swords dance set has a little more I think but, he better somehow, some way get gyroball. If not he still ok.

You do realize that running Megahorn/Reversal/Iron Head is just asking the Ghost jellyfish to switch in and laugh at you? All it has to do is sit there spamming Recover till your boosted Megahorn is disabled by Cursed Body than move in for the kill.
Well you have 5 other pokemon in your party. One should be a counter or check for Burungeru then.

Shubarugo wasn't OHKO'd by a -2 HP Fire from Latios last time I battled. Not sure how much it would take without the -2 but it could just survive a KO.

Well you have 5 other pokemon in your party. One should be a counter or check for Burungeru then.
Except that if you're using a one shot desperation strategy like pinch berries with that speed and low health you don't get to have a counter or check, he is effectively locked in.

If you switch he automatically becomes a lost cause, you can say kill it beforehand but your opponent has 5 more Pokemon in their party too. Its not as easy to Pursuit trap either since it can sit in on unboosted Pursuits all day long till its disabled.

Shubarugo wasn't OHKO'd by a -2 HP Fire from Latios last time I battled. Not sure how much it would take without the -2 but it could just survive a KO.
-2 s.atk is halved damage so only relevant if he took less than 50% from the weakened HP Fire.

It's Dream World Ability, Dustproof, let's it see some use on Hail Teams. Though adding another 4x fire weakness to an ice centered team is rather eh... Shubarugo does have nice defenses and nice typing to help out Hail. It also functions rather nicely on Trick Room teams, and makes a great partner for Rankurusu/Musharna since it resists ghost and dark type attacks aimed at them.

Swords Dance makes it hit like a titan. If you're really scared about Burungeru, you can run Faint Attack with SD, which will probably ease your worries... though outside of TR, I believe Burungeru outspeeds you and might burn you before you attack, which is not good at all.

70/105/105 defences is pretty good considering he is used in trick room

I would Laugh so much if he gets bullet punch in the third game (pokemon gray)

Is banned. As you cannot get it legitly yet.

*FACEPALM*

There is such thing as Dream world OU, Dream World Ubers and Dream World Little Cup

Secondly, it does not matter since:
- there is Pokemon Online
- Everyone and their mother uses Pokesav / PokeGen to create pokemon

*FACEPALM*

There is such thing as Dream world OU, Dream World Ubers and Dream World Little Cup

Secondly, it does not matter since:
- there is Pokemon Online
- Everyone and their mother uses Pokesav / PokeGen to create pokemon
That was posted back in October; where for all intents and purposes it was banned.

I know we are not supposed to be talking about tier discussion...BUT I used all the methods for this bug in PO's "UU" and it has been the most frightening thing of all! Choice Banded Megahorn is just tooo much power that if your not switching a poke that resist megahorn AND has a fire move than you are going to be KOed...I tired him in standard play and it defintely was a let down :/ left too much room for set up baits such as skarmory and heatran...Also the trick room sweeper may seem appealing but surprisingly it wasnt either..the lack of movepool and coverage did it...by far the best set ive used and been my MVP for teams is the simple choice band set and pairing it with a bulky water and wish passer (vaporeon/Mamanbou) are perfect but because of PO's UU i use Mamanbou...

All in all its a simple bread and butter poke that not too hard to use...the trick is just learning how many hits it can take then just spamming megahorn and use other moves if your feeling lucky.. lol well that's my experience using it..one of my fav of Gen V. so far, and hopefully it gets upgrades in the next game

I just realised this guy is one of few Pokemon who learns all of Endure, Flail and Reversal. >_>. Unlike Vigoroth/Heracross this guy just doesn't have the speed to pull it off. How sad.

Also this is stupid, but I think you should include the exclusive moves Shubarugo gets from Kaburumo.

Code:
Lv8: Endure
Lv13: Fury Cutter
Lv37: Take Down
Lv40: Scary Face
Lv49: Flail
Lv56: Double-Edge

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hmm. I see him countering nattorei and reuniclus fairly well with that megahorn.

How about this?

Shubarugo @ leftovers
Adamant
Swarm
220 HP/252 Atk/36 SpDef

Substitute
Megahorn
Knock Off (hopefully legal?)
Aerial ace/Double-Edge/Rock smash

Switchin to something you can force out, sub and attack the counter while they break it. Knock off is a great move here, disrupting the opponents pokes and possibly causing switches.

Just checked PO, and knock off is legal, and rock smash has 40 BP! I thought that it was 20. 40 is pretty decent actually. Can someone do calcs please? How much does it do to heatran?

The CB set is the way forward. Spamming Megahorn into tomorrow is very fun, and effective in this metagame. I really like the natural bulk this guy has to back up his obscene attack and he paired up well with Wish Vaporeon and Shandera (Flash Fire obv).

Switchin to something you can force out, sub and attack the counter while they break it. Knock off is a great move here, disrupting the opponents pokes and possibly causing switches.

Just checked PO, and knock off is legal, and rock smash has 40 BP! I thought that it was 20. 40 is pretty decent actually. Can someone do calcs please? How much does it do to heatran?
Its worthless, on most Heatran spreads Rock Smash is a 3HKO at best even with defense drops accounted for. CB Rock Smash however nets a clean 2HKO on Heatran but anytime Shuba runs into Heatran he wants to get the hell out of there.

There is literally nothing useful Shuba can do to it as it just stops it entirely stone cold dead.

Ok, so this round of suspect testing had me looking into Shubarugo what with all the talk of Latios and Reuniclus, and I came up with this set.

Shubarugo@Choice Band
Sassy; 176 HP / 156 Atk / 180 SpD
IVs: 0 Speed

- Pursuit
- Reversal
- Megahorn
- Iron Head

Before you laugh or sneer at the use of Careful nature, keep in mind that the Choice Band, high base power of Megahorn, and Shubarugo's naturally high attack stat has Megahorn (the only move you'll really be using) hitting harder than several things:

344 Atk CB Megahorn vs. 404/361 Suicune: (46.04% - 54.21%)
394 Atk CB Scizor U-Turn vs. 404/361 Suicune: (30.69% - 36.39%)
405 Atk CB Gross Meteor Mash vs. 404/361 Cresselia: (44.80% - 52.97%)

In other words, don't hate. In exchange, you get:

-The most solid Lati check in the game (OHKOs 6/0 Latios as he switches out and does 90% minimum to 6/0 Latias as she switches out). It avoids being even 4HKOd by Specs Latios' Draco Meteor, avoids being 2HKOd by Specs Latios' Surf with rocks/spikes (1 layer), and will always 2HKO with Pursuit should Latios stay in.
-The most solid Reuniclus check in the game (OHKOs 252/252 Bold Reuniclus, outruns Quiet Reuniclus in TR and OHKOs, takes a mere 42% max from +1 Lefties Bold Focus Blast)
-A great check to psychics/ghosts/dark types in general.
-A powerful attacker who hits harder than CBGross without even close to maximum investment.
-Generally bulky tank.
-Powerful Anti-Trick Room pokemon, trapping the psychics and ghosts that reside there and using the field condition to its advantage.
-Ridiculously powerful Swarm-boosted Megahorn.

I think this set finally grants Shubarugo the niche it has been looking for in OU. At 100 base power, Reversal will OHKO 4/0 Heatran, which I assume is at about 50% health since that's half the possible base power, making the slug a non-issue. Its barren movepool is actually just enough!

For those of you interested, I found that it pairs well with the following pokemon: Garchomp, Latios, Latias, Rotom-W, the list goes on. Basically anything that resists fire, but dragon-types work with it especially well. Vaporeon gets special mention, as its Wish support will keep Shubarugo healthy throughout the match and it isn't particularly susceptible to grass- and electric-type moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)