Finding Respect-The JRank Story

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

From left to right: JRank, lucariojr, mattj, hanging out at the Crestwood, MO Regional

Preface: Introductions

What if I told you that a boy would be nearly destroyed by arrogance, and be forced to turn himself around in a few months to face his greatest challenge yet?

My name's Jonathan Rankin, but if you're reading this, you probably know me as JRank. I hope to make this a more complete story of what has happened since I found out about the Senior division and the controversy I've created since then. I'll try to be as fair to myself as possible, because I while I'm very pleased with my success this past Sunday, I also recognize that I screwed up in a big way this past year, and I want to apologize for my actions. If you've come here looking for a more traditional warstory, you'll probably be disappointed, because (barring me getting lazy, a very good possibility) the battling at each of the three events I attended this year will be but a small part of the story. I am JRank, this is my story.

Prologue: The Road to Failure

Pride comes before the fall

January 27th, 2011: This thread was made. I read it, saw that we would have a new division made of people from the age of 12 to 15 (which I fell into). My eyes went to $$$. I thought no one would stop me. My small successes in my rookie year (Top 16 at Dallas 2010, 22nd (4-3 record) at Nationals 2010) gave me the impression that I would do even better if I didn't have to face older competitors. Right? I posted saying as much, and angered many who saw that I not only wrote off the other Seniors (Cybertron, David and Ryan Arnold, Mosquitox216, and others), but made myself out to be some sort of amazing Pokemon players. As you can see in Huy's quoted responses (I've since deleted the posts), I look like the fool I was. That arrogance would soon spill over into Regionals, in May.

Dallas Regionals

"He was an arrogant douchebag who prompted me to write a fucking essay on modesty"-Aaron "Unreality" Traylor

I came in thinking I'd run the tables. I didn't. The first time I ran into a halfway-competent (by which I mean had EV'd Pokemon) opponent, I lost. Bam. All my words felt very hollow. I'd have to try again at the Nationals Last Chance Qualifier.

Nationals LCQ

I was somewhat less arrogant then, and beginning to regret my actions, but it was too late to get rid of the first impressions"-Jonathan "JRank" Rankin

One game, one loss. I wasn't anywhere near a competitive state of mind, and I blew the first match on two separate occasions, putting myself in a position to lose to a Rock Slide flinch. Easy enough to blame on hax at the time and outwardly, but on the inside I knew it was my fault. I had to watch nearly all of my friends do exceedingly well at Nats, and thought the whole time that that could've been me winning and having a great time (this was partly the reason I was so angry I was "ditched" by the other seniors, I'm sorry I got mad at all of you). Once again I'd have to wait, this time even longer.

Reconciliation and Road to Recovery

"It was time to stop wallowing in self-pity and man up, realize what I'd done wrong, and try and correct it. This would be the hardest part of my journey"-Jonathan "JRank" Rankin

I knew I'd done wrong, I would admit so to myself. What I hadn't done yet, however, was admit it to Smogon and ask for forgiveness. It prevented me from moving up in Smogon. Why wasn't I allowed to be a ***** for ******** ***? (I don't want to point specific fingers) "First impressions," (my earlier words) is what I was told. (maybe I was being trolled, but even so, I know it had a factor in the decision). This and a myriad of other mess-ups had forced my Smogon career to an impasse. I had to do something. I made a somewhat apologetic statement whilst verbally sparring with someone in a thread, but that wasn't really enough. Now that I'm a fully badged Smogon Contributor, I need to set a good example. Here it is:

I'm sorry. I was an arrogant douche who thought he knew everything and was going to win it all. I brushed aside everyone else in my pursuit of glory. As a result, I alienated the other Seniors and now they all partnered up and became best friends, and I don't have one. Sure, I have friends, but no one who I can call best friend and that person calls me best friend, and it probably had to do with what I said. Please forgive me, and perhaps I won't be as much of a pariah as I have been.

Now that I have this written I want to get it off my chest, so I'm posting it now when the actual warstory is incomplete. I will include a traditional warstory below this when I have time, and for those of you wondering I'll put the team I used in St. Louis at the bottom of before I write the warstory.

I want to thank everyone who has made my time at Smogon the best in my life, most notably the occupants of #seniors and #moof, along with all the other friends I've made, too many for my lazy self to count. (so it could be very high, or quite low, ;P)

If you stuck through this to the end, thanks. I hope I'll get back some of the respect I lost through this. I can now respect myself, I hope you can respect me.

Sincerely,

JRank

T. Wilson (Politoed) @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Protect

J. Adams (Toxicroak) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

J. Wright (Ludicolo) @ Absorb Bulb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Fake Out
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

ZAPDOS (Zapdos) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rain Dance
- Detect

Scizor (Scizor) @ Occa Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Aerial Ace
- Protect

J Bequette (Togekiss) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Protect

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
JRank -- I take pleasure in the fact that my constant trolling of you has made you into a better, more modest user. Congrats on the victory.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i would like to point out i didnt ditch jrank i texted him after he raged on irc

i am the best 2011 senior

thanks a lot for that kings rock man (unless that wasn't you that gave it to me, don't remember atm)

boss pic @ the top (mostly me though sorry)

this could make a really good lifetime movie
^ first thing I thought of

Congrats on your success! I remember waaaaay back when you let me borrow that Weavile and I got it back.. but with taunt. xD You've come a long way since then, perhaps this is the year!

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Well congrats. I knew you were gonna win this year, and well didn't disappoint. Nats is gonna be fum this year and were was I when you made those post(im late aren't I).

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
As long as I can visit you when I'm in Arkansas.

I never had a problem with your statements, lots of people say stuff like that (I've posted saying that I was going to win every event I've ever played in I think, if I didn't I do it retroactively now). The only reason anyone ever actually cared is cause you were good enough to take notice of. If you go back through that thread there are several other people saying the same thing who I've never seen again, but we didn't expect them to win at the time so it wasn't a big deal.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
JRank -- I take pleasure in the fact that my constant trolling of you has made you into a better, more modest user. Congrats on the victory.
+1

I am retiring my old nickname for you "JWank" and replacing it with "JTank". Good work, kid.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
What an awkward thread title...

jk CONGRATS :D

(also I'll be there whenever you need my help and advice and all that. You've been a very enjoyable person to talk to. There is no need to overly bash yourself for your past actions - I'm sure we all can sense that desire for change deep down. But regardless, I'm glad that you've finally gotten that burden lifted off)

See you at nats~

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Congrats on winning a 12 man tournament I guess?

Maybe I'm being slightly out of touch or a bit of a dick, but I do not see the purpose of this thread, I don't think winning a tournament atones for anything you ever did. In fact I feel its the exact opposite, it seems to me you posted this to say "hey I'm actually as good as I thought."

Come back with a warstory, not a sob story.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
talked it over with jrank, story is a work in progress. firestorm and i agreed to keep this open

In fact I feel its the exact opposite, it seems to me you posted this to say "hey I'm actually as good as I thought."
I feel as though this made too much sense, but at the same time, I can't help but say you did a good job, JRank. Congrats on winning.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Congrats on winning a 12 man tournament I guess?

Maybe I'm being slightly out of touch or a bit of a dick, but I do not see the purpose of this thread, I don't think winning a tournament atones for anything you ever did. In fact I feel its the exact opposite, it seems to me you posted this to say "hey I'm actually as good as I thought."
I feel as though this made too much sense
This was NOT what I wanted to say AT ALL. I'm not trying to say my winning atoned for anything, it just made me feel a little better about myself instead of "wow I really suck balls". I don't think winning a 19-man tournament makes me amazing or anything, I'd have to be crazy to. I wanted to "atone" for my mistakes with the apology included at the bottom of the story. Sorry for any misunderstandings.

And yes, an actual warstory is on the way, I'm working on that right now.

This was NOT what I wanted to say AT ALL. I'm not trying to say my winning atoned for anything, it just made me feel a little better about myself instead of "wow I really suck balls". I don't think winning a 19-man tournament makes me amazing or anything, I'd have to be crazy to. I wanted to "atone" for my mistakes with the apology included at the bottom of the story. Sorry for any misunderstandings.

And yes, an actual warstory is on the way, I'm working on that right now.
JRank, I know you. You know me. I give you a hard time and piss you off a lot, but it's because you're my friend. You need to be more positive, and just try to accept life and roll with the punches. You can't just sit around and feel sorry for yourself because you lost to a flinch in a Pokemon tournament. It's your life to live. Choose how you want to go about that, whether you want to sulk your whole life, or learn from mistakes and strive to become better. And I will await your actual Warstory part.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)