Just to confirm I am co-writing the SM Guide.
I've been a bit busy with school since that started, but I have slowly but surely gotten to write most of the meat of the guide down. I should be ready to post a WIP today or tomorrow, where I need to do basic spelling and grammar control, fact check and such.I'll see if he hits me up, if not i'm sure ill eventually think of something else.
sorry looks like we missed the alert for this postIs there any guides on Sun & Moons Pokedex Side Quests (Showing Pokemon to people for rewards), Zygarde Cell Guide (Locations/Useful Information), Pokefinder Upgrades and locations, Festival Plaza Guide or Hyper Training Guide? Or at least any desire to have any of these guides, I'd be interested in writing.
yesIf possible, I'd like to reserve a Pokemon Refresh guide for Sun/Moon.
Winry made a pretty thorough update to this guide a month and a bit ago (posts here and following), what sections specifically need editing? I think the Deerling thing can just be done through a quick SCMS edit, if there's more sections that need revising then tackling those come USM sounds good.Would like to make some updates to the Special Poke Ball Inheritance Guide article here:
The 'Form Differences' section in particular needs updating to reflect gen7 breeding changes since balls are now hereditary from both genders. There are some other sections that need revision as well, but it would probably be easier to wait for USUM to be released because it will change which Pokemon are accessible in Alola.
Mostly minor edits.Winry made a pretty thorough update to this guide a month and a bit ago (posts here and following), what sections specifically need editing? I think the Deerling thing can just be done through a quick SCMS edit, if there's more sections that need revising then tackling those come USM sounds good.
Thanks for these comments, I wasn't sure about Pumpkaboo or Deerling and nobody else mentioned anything so I thought it was cool to leave. You can make changes in the SCMS or I can do it when I get back from classes today, though it'll be a while.Mostly minor edits.
The entire deerling section can be removed since any ability/ball combo is available now.
The Pumpkaboo form difference mention needs rewording. HA can now be in any buyable ball, but only Average and Super Size are available. Flabébé is still correct.
"With the release of Generation VI and numerous events, all breedable Pokémon can now legally have their hidden abilities. This does not, however, mean that all Pokémon with form differences can be bred in any regular Ball and have their hidden ability." This sentence is no longer true. The gen7 starters, Oranguru, and Passimian don't have their HA's released, yet.
The first paragraph was edited for gen7 and I think it would be better to partially rewrite it because I find this section in the intro paragraph to be misleading, "Compiled into lists are the Pokémon that can be bred into Safari Balls, Sport Balls, Dream Balls, and any of the Apricorn Balls—Poké Balls that are unobtainable in Sun and Moon." At the moment it sounds like Apricorn Balls aren't available in SM. Also think a mention of the new Beast Ball should be included in the intro paragraph. Something like...
"This little guide is here to help you find which special Poké Balls the Pokémon you want to breed in your Sun or Moon game can legally be in. Not every Pokémon from Generation IV can be in, for example, a Love Ball, nor can every Pokémon from Generation V be in a Dream Ball. Compiled into lists are the Pokémon that can be bred into Safari Balls, Sport Balls, Dream Balls, any of the Apricorn Balls, and Beast Balls. Additionally it will mention the Poké Balls that are unobtainable in Sun and Moon. This guide won't go deeply into the specifics on how to require the Pokémon you want, but will give you some brief explanations on where to look. If you want more exact info, look for other sources of information."
"As of Generation VII, because both male and female Pokémon can pass down hidden abilities and Poké Balls, it is now possible to have Speed Boost Sharpedo inside a Safari Ball or a Drought Ninetales inside a Love Ball. It is also possible through breeding to have an Alolan Sandshrew inside a Safari Ball even though Safari Balls are not available in Sun and Moon." Thought this was a little misleading about the males passing HA. Makes it sound like males can pass their HA with a non-HA female.
I can't tell if this was done yet. I'm happy to do so if you'd like, I just can't figure out where to go.Thanks for these comments, I wasn't sure about Pumpkaboo or Deerling and nobody else mentioned anything so I thought it was cool to leave. You can make changes in the SCMS or I can do it when I get back from classes today, though it'll be a while.
Dutchie and I had talked about this before. Some of the slang terms we'd rather not see formalized on-site, as they would normally be edited out of analyses by GPers. That said, Lutra's posts here cover a lot of what you're suggesting already. Another post in that thread covering additional jargon would be cool if there are enough terms that you think need defining. If there are just a few, we could simply add them to his existing posts~A project I have started (but would not want to reserve yet due to uncertainty of scope) was inspired by the old BW Pokemon Dictionary. What I'm planning at this moment is a redone, more dictionary-like, different-focus (e.g. less abbreviations, more competitive terminology common in but not exclusive to Pokemon's scene), much more expansive result. It's goal would be to concisely yet comprehensively give new players an immediate resource to turn to that helps their footing and clarifies unknown terms. What do you guys think?
Here are some sample entries:
1. n. A competition where, to win the competition, a player must win the majority of a set of three matches. - BO5, BO7, etc.
1. n. Base Power, an attribute of moves, the primary determinant of damage dealt.
Earthquake’s 100 BP and perfect accuracy make it a strong and reliable choice.
2. n. Baton Pass, a move bringing the user out of battle and transferring many stat boosts and benefits to an incoming teammate.
3. v. Using Baton Pass in battle.
4. adj. Consisting of multiple Baton Pass users designed to accumulate benefits for an end recipient. - BP Chain
They tried to Roar my BP team, but Smeargle had already set Ingrain, and I could have passed to Magic Bounce Espeon anyway.
5. n. Bullet Punch, a Steel-type priority move.
6. n. Battle Points, a recurring in-game currency used to purchase move tutors, items, etc.
1. n. Damage Calculator, an online calculator used to determine attack damages and (NH)KO ranges.
2. v. To use a damage calculator, often during a match and to determine (NH)KO ranges.
1. n. A Pokemon using support moves like Heal Bell, Aromatherapy, and Wish to keep its teammates healthy.
1. n. Minor damage that accumulates to wear down a Pokemon and make it easier to KO. - chip damage
2. v. To inflict chip (damage) on an opposing Pokemon.
I chipped Tapu Fini with Hydro Pumps to bring it to Gunk Shot’s KO range.
1. n. A Pokemon able to threaten another, generally via offensive presence, but with poor chance to affirmatively switch in, uncertain security, or a risk of becoming crippled.
Ash-Greninja checks many Pokemon with its strong priority, but has no business trying to take the majority of their attacks.
2. v. To successfully check one Pokemon with another.
1. n. A Pokemon able to safely switch into another, securely threatening or thwarting it so long as both remain in the battle.
Mega Venusaur counters Choice Scarf Keldeo; its Giga Drain is able to both severely hurt it and heal what little damage the Venusaur takes.
2. v. To counter one Pokemon with another.
3. v. To generally stop one tactic with another tactic.
4. n. A move damaging the opponent in accordance with physical damage taken by the user in the current turn.
1. v. Sacrifice, to switch in a Pokemon with the expectation that it will be KOd, in order to buy time for a response or to generate momentum. - sack
My Tyranitar wasn’t needed and was crippled by Toxic anyway, so I sacd it to give Ash-Greninja the safe chance to come in and revenge kill with Water Shuriken.
1. adj. Using stall Pokemon and threatening attackers together.
1. n. The combined result of a Pokemon’s move choices, ability choice, nature, and stat investment.
The opponent was helpless against my Calm Mind Blacephalon set.
2. v. To bring a field condition into effect by ability or move.
1. n. A Pokemon that, by virtue of ability or move, sets a field condition such as weather or terrain.
Snow Warning makes Ninetales-Alola the premier Aurora Veil setter.
1. v. To use stat-boosting moves, especially those boosting an offensive stat. - set up
Once my Landorus-T set up both Swords Dance and Rock Polish, the match was basically over.
2. adj. Boosting stats, especially for purposes of a sweep.
3. n. Setup move.
1. v. To use one Pokemon to KO the opponent’s entire team.
Freedom to set up Shift Gear let my Magearna easily sweep.
2. v. To win the entirety of a series of events when only a majority was needed.
Many thought the BO3 would be competitive enough for a 2-1 result, but it ended in a sweep.
3. n. An instance where a sweep has occurred.
1. n. A Pokemon used to heavily cripple or sweep the opponent team by itself, especially via setup moves.
2. n. A primarily offensive Pokemon or set, often preceded by an adjective.
Life Orb Greninja is a classic mixed sweeper.
I'd lean towards making it a unified post/article to be honest. The changes from SM to USUM are not enormous and many of the items are located in the same place as previous. No need to rehash the ground when most of the work is already done and in place.Was wondering if you were planning to do an Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon Tips and Tricks much like all previous games. My Sun/Moon Tips and Tricks is all finished on the editing phase, and if you wanted one for Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, I would love to tackle it. I could either do a full one (much of it will be the same as my current SuMo one), or I could do one solely on the changes and additions in USUM. Let me know.