Other Freed Ubers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Many Pokémon were unbanned with the beginning of Pokémon X and Y. How are they performing in the nowadays metagame? Note that this affects only the Pokébank metagame, because everybody of them, outside of Excadrill, is unavailable in X and Y.

THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR DISCUSSING POSSIBLE BANS.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only ones I've faced in Pokebank are Excadrill and Genesect. Drill is deadly no matter what it runs and Rotom can't even burn it due to Mold Breaker. Genesect in all honesty doesn't seem to bad to me as long as I switch in the right mons and manage to burn it.

I remember Genesect being awesome in Gen V OU, so I'm hoping that in this gen's OU too, Phoine, Excadrill, the trio all fell because of the nerf of perma-weather, Deoxys-D and Deoxys-S were on the verge of falling even last gen, this might be really interesting. I'm looking forward for using Genesect and Deoxys-S in OU.

I wonder if Phione even deserves OU though, he lost everything with the weather loss, unlike the trio who can manage with their therian form in OU. So phione, I don't think will be that popular in OU. Genesect was immensely popular so again, scarf Genesect is so good.

Deoxys-S is just too good in every way possible, suicide lead with psycho boost, super power + Psycho Boost set, Hazards + HP Fire. That thing is gonna be dominant, unlike Doexys-D which has very low usage even in OU.
Excadrill, the perfect Rapid Spinner along with Mold breaker and Earthquake defeating every levitate-r like Gengar and the Rotoms
I think Landorous fell enough to be less useful then his Therian form. However Thundurous Prankster is still better than his therian form (IMO)

I've ran into these guys alot on the ladder the past days but I haven't really had much trouble dealing with them, perhaps because of the players I face or perhaps they aren't as good as they were last gen. Manaphy and Excadrill got obvious nerfs with the non permanent weather, making their abilities very situational.
Landorus, Tornadus-T and Thundurus are still really really good, the only change affecting them this generation is the weather nerf aswell, not letting them spam 100% accuracy hurricanes in rain.
Genesect, Deoxys-D and Deoxys-S are pretty much the same they were in gen 5. Genesect still has the incredibly power U-turns with download boosts combined with a choice scarf or band. Deoxys-D is great as a hazard setter but can also be used for its super defenses. Deoxys-S is still probably the best suicide lead in the entire game with its blazing speed and access to spikes, stealth rock and taunt.

I do feel that these pokemon might be slightly too powerful for OU but they certainly don't scream ubers anymore.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Manaphy's offensive tail glow set is pretty unimpressive. It's not that challenging to revenge kill with unboosted base 100 speed, although bulky, it sitll has to find a turn to tail glow, then take the hits of whatever the opponent has is faster. +3 ice beam without a boosting item cant take out, for example sdef celebi, so it lacks raw power as well. +6 ice beam cant get past ferrothorn.

Heart swap is actually a fantastic move that works through substitutes, and such, I'm thinking of running some kind of bulky boost stealing set, but most boosting sweepers are physical attackers and manaphy's physical movepool isnt even a thing :X

Thundurus can no longer spam Thunder everywhere and Landorous can't use Sand Force any more. The weather nerf affected them a lot

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
while manaphy's tail glow is great, its not really fast enough to sweep a team with it and its hard to run a bulky version without recovery besides rest. heart swap sounds interesting tho

I've ran into these guys alot on the ladder the past days but I haven't really had much trouble dealing with them, perhaps because of the players I face or perhaps they aren't as good as they were last gen. Manaphy and Excadrill got obvious nerfs with the non permanent weather, making their abilities very situational.
Manaphy still has Tail Glow, which can do a number on defensive teams late-game, and Excadrill can eschew Sand Rush for Mold Breaker, which prevents Gengar from coming in for free.

Landorus, Tornadus-T and Thundurus are still really really good, the only change affecting them this generation is the weather nerf aswell, not letting them spam 100% accuracy hurricanes in rain.
Tornadus-T was the only one of these that got Hurricane. Landorus-I will probably be facing the boot soon since the set that broke it was the Sheer Force special attacker which isn't reliant on weather.

Genesect, Deoxys-D and Deoxys-S are pretty much the same they were in gen 5. Genesect still has the incredibly power U-turns with download boosts combined with a choice scarf or band. Deoxys-D is great as a hazard setter but can also be used for its super defenses. Deoxys-S is still probably the best suicide lead in the entire game with its blazing speed and access to spikes, stealth rock and taunt.
No arguments here, but Genesect did get Shift Gear, Blaze Kick, and ExtremeSpeed in between it being banned and XY being released, so if anything Genesect got BETTER.

I do feel that these pokemon might be slightly too powerful for OU but they certainly don't scream ubers anymore.

Thundurus can no longer spam Thunder everywhere and Landorous can't use Sand Force any more. The weather nerf affected them a lot
Yeah totally forgot about that.
The permanent weather really pushed alot of 'mons into the Uber tier, we'll have to see if the weather nerf can bring some of them back. Manaphy and Excadrill are completley different pokemon without their weather and I do feel that they can fit into OU quite well. Don't know about Landorus, Thundurus and Tornadus-T though.

Add Tornadus-T + Hurricane to that list, but Landorus didn't use Sand Force. It was an extremely deadly Sheer Force user, forming an incredible core with its two best buddies, Keldeo and Tyranitar. Landorus lost little in the transition to Gen 6 in terms of its overall power, except that unfortunate castration of its Hidden Power, but it's hardly alone in that regard. I haven't seen much of Lando, and while priority is the name of the game at the moment, and it's not the bulkiest 'mon ever, it still deserves more usage than what it's been getting.

Tornadus t is very underwhelming this gen imo. To do any meaningful damage at all he has to rely on hurricane, which not only is crippled significantly by the loss of rain, but also got hit with a 10 bp nerf. The life orb attacker set also has to run everyones favorite move, focus miss. Sure he can still act as pivot of sorts with u-turn and regenerator, but thats all it can do really. It's mediocre stats of 100 atk and 110 special atk doesn't help it, and it now gets trolled by greninja who has 1 more speed than him.

I've used shift gear genesect pretty extensively and found him pretty underwhelming to be honest. It's physical movepool is just pretty abysmal. I ran a set of shift gear/iron head/blaze kick/extremespeed. It gets walled or checked by any decently bulky water or fire pokemon, as even at +2 extremespeed isn't enough to 1hko alot of things. Not to mention it pretty much has to rely on getting the atk boost from download, as it absolutely needs to be at +2 atk to even have a chance at sweeping.

I certainly hope that moldbreaker Excadrill establishes itself as one of the top threats without being really broken in half. Manaphy is pretty fair, he might even go Underused/BL.

Genesect is still the ultimate pivot, though losing some resistances hinders him a bit. He deserves the most use, as he's pretty easy to use pretty much in any team, and normally it improves your odds.

Tornadus-T will never be near as good as he was last gen, but I'm really liking Deo-D and Genesect. Genesect is always gonna be amazing, just by merit of his coverage, and STAB, +1 Atk U-turns.

I'm very interested in seeing how Excadrill, Tornadus, Manaphy, and the Deoxys forms perform this gen.
  • For Excadrill and Manaphy, it's going to be interesting to see how they function with the overall weather nerf. Manaphy in particular dislikes the removal of permanent rain, as it limits how much Manaphy can abuse Hydration + Rest. As for Excadrill, the set up sweeping set and late game clearer really dislikes this change, but the Bulky Rapid spin set will be fine. The Bulky set works well in any/no weather and could potentially rise in usage.
  • Tornadus loses the ability to consistently spam Hurricane in rain, but probably won't change much.
  • The Deoxys forms will be fun to watch too considering Defogs buff. Even if these Pokemon can reliably set up hazards, the ability to remove them all with a single Defog is very important. Toxic Deoxys-D will probably become the dominant set.
I can't wait to see how 6th gen OU plays out :)

I'm not the greatest at playing slow/semi-stall teams but Genesect seems to crush them, it doesn't help that U-Turn works well in bringing out some of this gens' powerhouses.

I used Manaphy quite a five time and it is very good, especially with support of paralisys or sticky web. Also has a bulk enough survive numerous fast attackers and revenge killers. People lack of knowledge about Manahapy helps it too. People think Rotom can wall it, then energy ball slaps their face. Homever the hydration niche doesn't seem very appealing after rain is nerfed and mega evos came out with monstrous. stats.

Exadrill is one of thePokemon I faced a lot, at least half of the teams has Exadrill. It will be top tier OU for sure.

-I think Excadrill is a lovely addition to OU and will be a solid part of it this generation. I see it constantly. It's so much less obnoxious without perma-weather.
-I think Manaphy will pull a Mew this generation. BL at most.
-I hate the Deoxys froms presence in OU, I really don't know/care how they are doing but I hope they go back to Ubers.
-Genesect is the most 'up in the air' mon on the list. He's still really good but the introduction of Talonflame has really effed with him.
-The Trio seem more balanced this generation so I'm sure they might make it in OU. We'll see with Landorus.

Yeeeeeep.

Genesect is a tremendous offensive pivot who puts the question to the opponent at all times and gives you crucial EV and speed information. He pairs up awesomely with greninja and rotom. A volt turn core like this pairs up awesomely with many teams. Genesect is one of few pokemon who utilize steel's defensive type to take a hit, then fire back with a fast powerful attack across the spectrum.

Excadrill is probably going to stay OU. Most Excadrill I've seen run Rapid Spin/SD/Earthquake/Iron head or Rock Slide with Mold Breaker. Except for a few dedicated Sand teams, Excadrill just isn't an uncounterable threat anymore, but he has enough bulk and might to get the job done efficiently IMO.

Because of the weather nerf and the Steel type nerf, Excadrill is a teensy bit more manageable. Now instead of it being a sand demon with perma-sand and super speed, it has to use those sand turns wisely. It's also very weak defensively as far as stats go, to the point where any neutral hit will kill it. It's still powerful, don't get me wrong, but it's more manageable now.

Has anyone discounting Manaphy actually used it yet? It's incredibly easy to get to +6, especially in the rain where it is immune to status. In the rain, unless the Pokemon it's facing can 2HKO it, it can always get to +6. Because it can get to +6 in a minumum of only two turns, it can certainly afford to fully invest in bulk, making it very hard to take down. Even with the rain nerf, it isn't to hard to find turns for it to set up. 7 turns is more than enough time.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
well I can see manaphy being deadly in scolepede bp teams seeing it could just get +2 speed easily and set up tail glow fairly easily with its good bulk. As for genesect, he will always be good. However, heatran will almost always be a hard counter to it.....unless it uses something gimicky like techno blast water.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Tail Glow variants of Manaphy will certainly be popular, but there is another set I look forward to trying again:

Manaphy @ Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Rain Dance
- Waterfall
- U-turn
- Rest

Manaphy is one of the best pivots on rain teams because of its good bulk, and access to both a slow U-Turn and Hydration-Rest. Additionally, this set has re-gained its niche now that Drizzle is no longer permanent.

Last edited:
Excadrill and Genesect have both been seriously checked by Talonflame. They're probably the two I've seen the most out of this list but neither one poses too much of a problem with him on your team. "This one Poke checks these, so therefore they're no longer a threat" is obviously a tenuous argument, but with Talonflame's extreme popularity at this point there has to be at least some hesitation on the part of anyone who puts one of these two former ubers on their team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)