Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKIII *Official Media Only*

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 72193

Excuse the poor quality, the video was only in 360p.

Looks like while you're in Ilima's Trial, you find TM31 Brick Break (かわらわり Tile Break).

Stuff like this is OK to post here, right? how do you do the spoiler tags
I like how they're pretty much handing a win-con to you in for this trial in moon. You get a TM at teaches a 75 power Fighting move and the totem Pokemon is x4 weak against it. I might skip out on using it immediately just to get the gist of totem Pokemon fights

Last edited:
So I had a thought (rare, I know). Since Silvally is a horrifying mish-mash of creatures that can become any type it want, can it use Fly? Will we be able to ride our beautiful Silvally across the sky?

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since Arceus learns it, I'd say it's possible.

But it's a really shaky parallel and I actually don't believe it will learn it. It could make sense, that's it.
The information can't be datamined from the demo though, so we'll have to wait for the full game

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So I had a thought (rare, I know). Since Silvally is a horrifying mish-mash of creatures that can become any type it want, can it use Fly? Will we be able to ride our beautiful Silvally across the sky?
There's a difference between becoming Flying-type and learning the move Fly. There's plenty of Flying-types that don't learn Fly, and since it doesn't look like Silvally can fly/float I don't think so. Best it can do is probably Bounce (though at that point it'll probably be best to stick with Air Slash or Aerial Ace (I'm assuming it may get those) depending on what attack category you're focusing on).

Actually thinking about it why wasn't it given wings? Come on, if you're going to make a hybrid Pokemon you gotta slap wings onto it!

There's a difference between becoming Flying-type and learning the move Fly. There's plenty of Flying-types that don't learn Fly, and since it doesn't look like Silvally can fly/float I don't think so. Best it can do is probably Bounce (though at that point it'll probably be best to stick with Air Slash or Aerial Ace (I'm assuming it may get those) depending on what attack category you're focusing on).

Actually thinking about it why wasn't it given wings? Come on, if you're going to make a hybrid Pokemon you gotta slap wings onto it!
Maybe the part that changes colour on its head is a wing? Welp, naming it Sephiroth now.

That's assuming, first, that we won't all be flying around on a Charizard.

I think we will get information on the 27th. Why do I feel that one will be the last one?
Might be because that after that, the game will be out in about two weeks. Though I think that they'll throw a little more news in November before the game comes out, but it's not likely.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
If I were GF I would release the final bits of news on the 11th, a week before the games are released. Maybe even do a sort of "daily update" thing where they either reveal new stuff or maybe have a guide through the beginning part of the game. Build up the excitement.

Reactions: nv
I like how they're pretty much handing a win-con to you in for this trial in moon. You get a TM at teaches a 75 power Fighting move and the totem Pokemon is x4 weak against it. I might skip out on using it immediately just to get the gist of totem Pokemon fights
To be fair, you're generally given a Pokemon that's an effective win-con around every gym battle anyways. At that point of the game and with the leaked dex, I don't really see -too- many Pokemon being able to learn Brick Break anyways, and the few that I know off the top of my head that do, will probably be able to win rather easily anyways.

To be fair, you're generally given a Pokemon that's an effective win-con around every gym battle anyways. At that point of the game and with the leaked dex, I don't really see -too- many Pokemon being able to learn Brick Break anyways, and the few that I know off the top of my head that do, will probably be able to win rather easily anyways.
Not to mention the access to Makuhita and Crabrawler before the Normal-type trial. You can see in the Sun/Moon NicoNico footage that he catches a Makuhita and in one CoroCoro video it shows a guy trying to take down Totem Gunshoos a few times, only to win after catching a level 10 or so Crabrawler. Honestly, it just comes down to what people use. If they use something that makes it easier, they can't really complain.

The team I have planned for my Moon playthrough doesn't have a Fighting-type Pokemon, nor am I overleveling, so I can expect a little difficulty.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So I watched the various video that have been released recently and here are my observations and thoughts:

2:45: Rotom Dex will update you on your dex completion for both the island you're on and Alola as a whole. This is useful if you want to try completing as much of an island as you can before moving onto the next or telling you where you're missing a Pokemon.
7:48: Beauty? Lady (the Rich Boy female counterpart)? What Trainer Class is she?
10:20: They really expanded homes to make them feel like, well, homes (including having incidental items like golf clubs and trophies). Yet still no bathrooms.
11:21: Ah, so this is the area which the Demo skips over to take you from Hau'oli City to Ten Carat Hill.
14:11: So looks like Team Skull will be encountered early, hopefully they're a persistant antagonist group throughout the whole game.
18:39: Backpackers are back.
24:30: Does anyone know what happened here? What do the cafe in the Pokemon Center do?
28:09: Pokemon Refresh keeps the Affection, Fullness (though replaced the Poke Puffs image with the Poke Beans), and Enjoyment stats. Not a surprise, but just nice to know they probably didn't change around the base Pokemon-Amie mechanics too much.
34:15: There's another tree with a pile of Beans underneath it, is that going to be one way you get Poke Beans?
37:55: So that woods area they always kept showing is a Trial ground for Ilima. You're looking for and battling three Alolan Rattata (in Moon version? Maybe in Sun you're looking for Yungoos) which explains all those caves we've (that's where they're hiding). At least one of them rushes out at you (like you wouldn't be ready for it). You also get TM31 Brick Break, and being this is a Normal-type Trial and you can catch a Makuhita a route before I don't think you should be having any problems. But while the last Alolan Rattata is playing a game of chase you get interrupted by Team Skull. An interesting twist, it would be like while in the middle of a Gym Puzzle the villain team busts in to raid/take over it. Actually, Team Skull "helps" upon defeat by trapping what turns out to be an Alolan Raticate (Gumshoos in Sun?), thus completing the Trial. I hope each Trial gives this sort of twist, not with Team Skull each time but doing something that's sort of outside of the Trial's control but works to the player's advantage.
1:00:15: So looks like the reward for completing a Trial is maybe the Z-Crystal of the Captain's type preference? That's actually a pretty neat idea. Instead of a Badge that does nothing you get an item you can use for battle. So this means that the Grass, Fire, Water, Electric, Normal, and two others are locked off. And if the Kahuna has a type preference, maybe this also goes for their Z-Crystals (which means Rock-type for Olivia and maybe Fighting-type for Hala?).
1:06:18: Pulverising Pancake missing due to the targeted opponent having been knocked out! So in Battle Royale you got to be careful about which target you pick otherwise you could end up wasting you attack.

0:18: Your goal is to become the Champion of the Alola region. So is there a previous Champion you'll need to battle?
1:03: Aether Foundation is set up to be a mysterious organization that no one really knows what they're about aside helping rare/foreign Pokemon to the Alola region.
3:13: Its interesting hearing about different ways the designers make a Pokemon, some even going about things via what would be competitive which explains all the Pokemon getting Abilities seemingly made to have an affect on competitive play.

So the trailer introduces us to 3 new characters:

0:14: A young girl (with long black hair that give Iris's hair a run for its money) who looks like a rancher. She had a Mudsdale so she could maybe be a Ground-type Trial Captain? Then again one of the Poke Rides is a Mudsdale so it could be that she maybe raises the Pokemon uses for Poke Rides, at least Mudsdale. Though if she is a Captain maybe they could have her trail being a horse race.
0:17: A rather imposing man with navy blue hair and beard mustache. He has a Pelipper and is standing on top of a Wailord boat. So he has a Water-type theme but we aready have a Water-type Trial Captain with Lana. The guy could be a Kahuna, only Olivia was said to specialize in a type so it could be the other Kahuna don't.
0:18: A young girl that looks to be a cross between a Fairy Girl and Hex Maniac and the location look to be something I would describe inside of a Gym. I wouldn't be surprised if she was either a Trial Captain or Kahuna, I'm leaning toward Trial Captain but then again one of the Island Guardians might be a Psychic- or Ghost-type if the Oricorio types are anything to go by.

Of course they could just be NPCs that have nothing to do with the Island Challenge. While they're definitely "notable" characters due to their design we've had characters with notable designs before that really didn't have much impact on the story. Not that they need to, unique characters does make the Pokemon world feel bigger and not centered around the main competitions, but if the Demo trailer if focusing on them it does make them seem more important. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

So I watched the various video that have been released recently and here are my observations and thoughts:

2:45: Rotom Dex will update you on your dex completion for both the island you're on and Alola as a whole. This is useful if you want to try completing as much of an island as you can before moving onto the next or telling you where you're missing a Pokemon.
7:48: Beauty? Lady (the Rich Boy female counterpart)? What Trainer Class is she?
10:20: They really expanded homes to make them feel like, well, homes (including having incidental items like golf clubs and trophies). Yet still no bathrooms.
11:21: Ah, so this is the area which the Demo skips over to take you from Hau'oli City to Ten Carat Hill.
14:11: So looks like Team Skull will be encountered early, hopefully they're a persistant antagonist group throughout the whole game.
18:39: Backpackers are back.
24:30: Does anyone know what happened here? What do the cafe in the Pokemon Center do?
28:09: Pokemon Refresh keeps the Affection, Fullness (though replaced the Poke Puffs image with the Poke Beans), and Enjoyment stats. Not a surprise, but just nice to know they probably didn't change around the base Pokemon-Amie mechanics too much.
34:15: There's another tree with a pile of Beans underneath it, is that going to be one way you get Poke Beans?
37:55: So that woods area they always kept showing is a Trial ground for Ilima. You're looking for and battling three Alolan Rattata (in Moon version? Maybe in Sun you're looking for Yungoos) which explains all those caves we've (that's where they're hiding). At least one of them rushes out at you (like you wouldn't be ready for it). You also get TM31 Brick Break, and being this is a Normal-type Trial and you can catch a Makuhita a route before I don't think you should be having any problems. But while the last Alolan Rattata is playing a game of chase you get interrupted by Team Skull. An interesting twist, it would be like while in the middle of a Gym Puzzle the villain team busts in to raid/take over it. Actually, Team Skull "helps" upon defeat by trapping what turns out to be an Alolan Raticate (Gumshoos in Sun?), thus completing the Trial. I hope each Trial gives this sort of twist, not with Team Skull each time but doing something that's sort of outside of the Trial's control but works to the player's advantage.
1:00:15: So looks like the reward for completing a Trial is maybe the Z-Crystal of the Captain's type preference? That's actually a pretty neat idea. Instead of a Badge that does nothing you get an item you can use for battle. So this means that the Grass, Fire, Water, Electric, Normal, and two others are locked off. And if the Kahuna has a type preference, maybe this also goes for their Z-Crystals (which means Rock-type for Olivia and maybe Fighting-type for Hala?).
1:06:18: Pulverising Pancake missing due to the targeted opponent having been knocked out! So in Battle Royale you got to be careful about which target you pick otherwise you could end up wasting you attack.

0:18: Your goal is to become the Champion of the Alola region. So is there a previous Champion you'll need to battle?
1:03: Aether Foundation is set up to be a mysterious organization that no one really knows what they're about aside helping rare/foreign Pokemon to the Alola region.
3:13: Its interesting hearing about different ways the designers make a Pokemon, some even going about things via what would be competitive which explains all the Pokemon getting Abilities seemingly made to have an affect on competitive play.

So the trailer introduces us to 3 new characters:

0:14: A young girl (with long black hair that give Iris's hair a run for its money) who looks like a rancher. She had a Mudsdale so she could maybe be a Ground-type Trial Captain? Then again one of the Poke Rides is a Mudsdale so it could be that she maybe raises the Pokemon uses for Poke Rides, at least Mudsdale. Though if she is a Captain maybe they could have her trail being a horse race.
0:17: A rather imposing man with navy blue hair and beard mustache. He has a Pelipper and is standing on top of a Wailord boat. So he has a Water-type theme but we aready have a Water-type Trial Captain with Lana. The guy could be a Kahuna, only Olivia was said to specialize in a type so it could be the other Kahuna don't.
0:18: A young girl that looks to be a cross between a Fairy Girl and Hex Maniac and the location look to be something I would describe inside of a Gym. I wouldn't be surprised if she was either a Trial Captain or Kahuna, I'm leaning toward Trial Captain but then again one of the Island Guardians might be a Psychic- or Ghost-type if the Oricorio types are anything to go by.

Of course they could just be NPCs that have nothing to do with the Island Challenge. While they're definitely "notable" characters due to their design we've had characters with notable designs before that really didn't have much impact on the story. Not that they need to, unique characters does make the Pokemon world feel bigger and not centered around the main competitions, but if the Demo trailer if focusing on them it does make them seem more important. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

In reply to the trailer found in the demo:

0:14: I think this young lady is definitely the Kahuna of the third island. The Kahunas seem to share something between them all: they greet you when you arrive at their island:
- Hala greets you when you move to the Alola region, and even gives you your starter Pokemon.
- Olivia greets you when you arrive to Aleka Island.

0:17: Definitely another Kahuna. See above statement, except with the final island.

0:18: Definitely a Trial Captain. She's wearing the little Plus symbol medal you see on the other Trial Captains.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So a Kotaku writer, Patricia Hernandez, recently had a few words with Shigeru Ohmori about some of the design choices made. Nothing major, but here's some interesting tibits:
  • Jangmo-o was the first Pokemon designed for Sun & Moon.
  • Alolan Exeggutor was the most fun for the designers to make. The idea that in the sun its neck kept growing and growing. They didn't intentionally meant to troll players, they were just having fun designing it.
  • They didn't intentionally make Kukui any more "sexier" than other Professors. The reason he doesn't have his shirt is because Alola is a hot region.

Random question: Do you think Auto-terrain abilities will be distributed to older Pokemon as well? What about Misty and Grassy, do you think we will see an auto-setter ability too?

BTW

Last edited by a moderator:
At 3:09, it shows Tauros using the Normal type Z-Move (or maybe it was its exclusive Z-Move). I don't remember seeing that before.

In that trailer, Crabrawler is shown using Lucario's Z-move, the one with multiple fists. So, I guess Bewear gets a signature Z-move after all?

e: I'm trying to find a source of Bewear's Z-move (the one giant fist) but I can't seem to find it, does anyone have it?

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
In that trailer, Crabrawler is shown using Lucario's Z-move, the one with multiple fists. So, I guess Bewear gets a signature Z-move after all?

e: I'm trying to find a source of Bewear's Z-move (the one giant fist) but I can't seem to find it, does anyone have it?
I'm pretty sure it's just the fighting-type z-move, not specifically lucario's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)