Genesect

To be perfectly frank, I run my genesect on a sun team so flamethrower isn't neutered...it's not like genesect is going to survive anything but the most pitifully weak fire attacks anyway, so what's the difference? I realize that rain, of course, would give genesect a better chance against weak fire attacks, but so far it's working really well on my sun team, partnered up with Hydreigon and Victini. In those conditions, Metagross, Jirachi, and Toxicroak all have to watch out for a sun-boosted flamethrower. And if I see a volcarona on my opponent's team, I will make damn sure rocks are up before it gets to come in. Overall, Heatran is the best possible means of dealing with Genesect, there's just no comparison.

I don't exactly know what to think here. Download plus choice specs coming off of 120 sp. Attk. is going to hit walls hard. He also has wide coverage, but yeah, he is pretty predictable. Though, the hone claws set seems a bit gimmicky. I don't see this sweeping anything anytime soon, but I think it will make a good late game cleaner.

Another Porii Sames rant:

As most of you know, I've been an avid Dream World player, previously on Smogon and PBC (i still play beta), for over a year now, and I will say that Gene is one of the most ferocious threats out there.

Scizor is currently (or was previously, i havent checked up on that as much now) the most used Pokemon, but try as it might, Scizor isn't breaking through certain walls anytime soon. Skarm is always going to give it troubles, as is bulky Volcarona, Protect Tran, Zapdos, etc. That being said, Scizor is still a very good poke because it can utilize U-turn to at least dent a few of its counters and not lose any HP itself.

Think about a Poke that retains a strong U-turn, more speed than Scizor, an AMAZING Special movepool, great Special Attack, usable defenses, and even some ways to take down its counters?

Genesect is not something that will completely remedy all of your weaknesses on a team. Genesect is not just a replacement for Scizor; they both have their own uses. Genesect is a monster that has absolutely fantastic synergy with just about anything and if you predict right it literally can threaten 90% of the OU meta. Rachi seems a safe switch in if Gene has the Attack boost, but a U-turn followed by a Flamethrower later immediately stops this.

Even Heatran is never 100% safe vs. Gene. I very seriously laddered with an Earth Gem HP Ground Gene and it broke 1550 and got me into the top 20 on Beta, which isn't groundbreaking but it goes to show that it is clearly viable.

Since Gene can U-turn and can come in on SO many pokes so easily, it can be an entire Voltturn core by itself, being able to hit hard physically and specially while also being a reasonably fast scarfer.

Almost all of Genesect's counters are promptly handled by a Sub Liechi Dugtrio. Rachi, while not OHKO'd by EQ if it is 252/0, takes about 80-90% and then, if it hasn't Wished up (assuming Gene has U-turned on it), it can either be KO'd by Dug alone or used as another target for Gene's U-turn.

I don't even need to talk about Heatran; Air Balloon is shattered by a U-turn and even if it isnt, 200 BP Reversal does a chunk (iirc it doesnt OHKO).

Tenta also takes a huge amount from the Dugtrio assault, whlie Toxicroak(Subbing vs. Sucker Punch is a fantastic advantage) is flat out KO'd. +1 Reversal also OHKOs Blissey and Chansey alike (Chans has a 'chance' to live but it will again be used as something else for Gene to gain momentum against), and Dug can do a large amount of damage to Volcarona as well, beating it if Rocks are down.

And this is ONLY Scarf Sect. I'm not even considering the odds of it being Sash, Expert Belt, or Rock Polish, all of which are great sets in their own rights. RP is one of THE BEST set up sweeper sets in the meta (or at least the DW meta...) and teams without Chansey or a Fire are always at risk from it.

Genesect can also surprise you out of nowhere. You can bring in Tentacruel after switching out your Specs Latios and it can Thunderbolt you and just switch next turn. A Special Attack Download Gene could turn from an easily handled Scarfed to an absolute monster in one turn with a Rock Polish. You could fodder your Gyarados as Gene attempts to Flamethrower and then bring in Tran only to take an HP Ground, or have it be Sashed and completely surprise your supposed "counter". And you never have any idea what exactly it's going to do when it comes in.

Gene is an absolute MENACE and is, in my opinion, THE best Poke in DW, and that was Pre BW2 and Post BW2. It is NOT to be underestimated and it will surely be a force to be reckoned with in OU.

After some extensive testing of Genesect I can vouch that this is amazing, possibly the best poke in OU at the moment. As Porii Sames mentioned and I think I posted about it earlier in this thread Genesect + Dugtrio make a very good partnership. The opponet would be stupid to switch in Heatran since you can just U-Turn into Duggie and lose Heatran. And pretty much all of Genesect's counter's are destroyed by Duggie.
Another good pair with Genesect is the Landorus forms. They work the same way Duggie does but of course they can't trap Genesect's counters, just threaten them. However both Landorus forms have access to U-Turn making them a great pair with Genesect since you can U-Turn between them all day, forcing your opponent to predict. It can also give Landorus-T a free turn to set up stelth rock's if your running the bulky set. Latly iv been using a Banded Landorus-T with Genesect and had great success, If you send thing in on a Heatran it basically gives you a free turn to hit something hard, or let's you U-Turn out to whatever they send in.

Genesect gets quick attack, which made me think of a moveset that might work:

Genesect@life orb
naive nature
252 speed, 252 sp.atk, 6 atk
quick attack
u-turn
Thunderbolt/ice beam/flamethrower/flash canon/giga drain/dark pulse/hidden power/psychic
Thunderbolt/ice beam/flamethrower/flash canon/giga drain/dark pulse/hidden power/psychic

The viability of the special moves in slot 3 and 4 varies, but all of them should be useful in a few situations and it's always possible to u-turn against a slower pokémon that you can't hurt with the special moves. The ev spread can be altered to give it more atk and less sp.atk, but the special moves will be the main moves for doing high damage.

A mixed rock polish set should also be mentioned. I'm thinking rash nature with ev's in atk and sp.atk. With only 6 ev's in speed, it will have 470 speed after a rock polish, which should be enough to outspeed most scarfers. The ev's in speed can be increased to outspeed certain threats. I suggest that iron head and two special moves are used as offensive moves. Iron head seems to be the best option for a physical move (u-turn is an option), because it hits pink blobs for neutral damage, gets STAB and got a 30% flinch chance. The special moves can also in this set vary, but because it won't do a lot of u-turning it seems more important to have good coverage and I therefore suggest boltbeam.

A bulky set with recycle and rest might be usable as a gimmick. Iron defense is suggested if you want to try it.

It can also use gravity. It easily u-turns to another sweeper after setting it up but can also itself benefit from it with blizzard and zap canon.

A dual-screening set is worth mentioning. It unfortunately doesn't get taunt.

The last thing I want to write about it is that screech and metal sound are not bad options. Especially the combination of screech and u-turn seems tempting.

Do note that I have not tried any of these sets.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
^ most of these suggestions are clearly gimmicks, although i think you know that

quick attack will be way too weak without CB; it's true on terrakion and it's also true here. you're better off scarfing to just get some more speed

gravity is abused much better by landorus who also gets u-turn but can smash stuff with a stab earthquake. indeed if anything landorus is the best gravity abuser in the entire game. much better suited to it than genesect, in any case.

i don't see anything about genesect that sets it apart as a dual screener and there are a lot of mons who could do the job better. there are a crapton of mons that learn light screen and reflect but that doesn't mean everyone can run a dual screen set. latias is faster and has more bulk, plus healing wish. azelf has uturn and rocks and is also faster. espeon/xatu have magic bounce which is a justifying factor in and of itself. magnezone is a bit of a meh dual screener imo but at least it can find free setup opportunities with magnet pull to hold onto steels and drop screens on them. and then there are a ton of mons like bronzong and uxie that have straight up bulk in their favor. i don't see genesect really standing out among them

and there is no way i would run rock polish sets that couldn't at least outrun scarf terrakion, for which you need 104 speed EVs. imo in OU, if you can't outrun scarf rak after a reasonable number of boosts, you shouldn't be running a speed boosting set in the first place, with only a few exceptions

Been testing Genesect in a Sun Team, and it's been working very well. I've been using a team stacking a lot of hazards which means that Genesect can easily rack up residual damage on incoming Pokemon and easily threaten them out with the prospect of a U-Turn, or appropriate Special move. A team which has Genesect / Forretress / Dugtrio means that you very easily gain momentum while being able to trap other weather inducers. This is super important on a Sun team, when Sun traditionally does not have the best matchup against other weather inducers, or other weathers in general.

As for the viability of common Genesect sets, it's easy to see that Scarf Genesect is the superior option, while Rock Polish / Focus Sash variants are still viable, and good at bluffing a Choice Item. As for defensive sets, there's really no need. Genesect has such a great offensive movepool it would be a shame to waste it. There are other bulky Steels such as Jirachi and Skarmory who play a much better defensive role than Genesect, while also getting access to hazards and recovery.

Expecting to see a rise in offensive teams using Volt Turn, or hazard stacking in general. Genesect benefits greatly from hazards, even if it is just a layer of Stealth Rock. I've found the best way to use Genesect, is to find good offensive partners to deal with its main checks / counters. Dugtrio for example is a great partner, trapping Ninetales, Heatran, Jirachi, Volcarona, Toxicroak, Terrakion, Tentacruel and more. It easily cleans the way for Genesect to sweep late game when all of its checks are gone, as nothing will appreciate a +1 Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Bug Buzz coupled with hazards.

I def want to try out a CB set, even though Genesect is seen as a special attacker, it has 120 base attack, and can do horrendous damage to most pokemon. With a Download boost, its around 45% stronger than CB scizor. The main reasons why you would use it over Scizor is its much faster, and can hit quite a bit harder.

Genesect @ Choice Band
Ability: Download
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Nature: Naughty/Naive
~ U-turn
~ Iron Head
~ Explosion
~ Thunder

If you decide with Thunder in the last slot switch the natures accordingly. With the right prediction, there isn't much that is safe from this thing. Many of Scizor's checks can be koed by the coverage move of your choice (Thunder). Yeah, I know Explosion got nerfed, but with a Download boost, it has the most powerful explosion in the game (even more powerful then licklicky). U-turn will hurt a lot, 2koing almost everything that doesn't resist it. I prefer + Atk/special Atk natures, but a + speed nature would may work out better (espcially since it outspeeds Hydregion)

I think these Choice Band/SPecs sets really put Genesect's offensive potential to real shame. Most people (at least it seems to me) have come to the concensus that Genesect does not have any reason to tank hits, so why try to preserve its health with a choice item? LO seems to be the way to go if you want to go all out offensive and to hit hard. You get to hit hard from both sides of the spectrum and with the ability to switch moves up the oopponent can't rely on prediction as much to check you. Of course Rapid Spin support will be much more necessary but I think it is worth it for power on BOTH spectrums.

I think these Choice Band/SPecs sets really put Genesect's offensive potential to real shame. Most people (at least it seems to me) have come to the concensus that Genesect does not have any reason to tank hits, so why try to preserve its health with a choice item? LO seems to be the way to go if you want to go all out offensive and to hit hard. You get to hit hard from both sides of the spectrum and with the ability to switch moves up the oopponent can't rely on prediction as much to check you. Of course Rapid Spin support will be much more necessary but I think it is worth it for power on BOTH spectrums.
The problem is that an LO set is perhaps too prone to being revenge killed / walled and residual damage will put a big dent on it. If something like Heatran or Blissey comes in to stop you, you're going to take 10% from the U-turn. Unless you somehow manage to pass a Wish onto Genesect, which is unlikely - the guy isn't particularly bulky; especially if it's low enough that it needs a wish.

Scarf seems to be it's best set, from what I've seen. Capable of scouting early, revenge-killing +1 dragons with icebeam. You can also run a +SpA nature to avoid the power drop, but I think outspeeding +1 Salamence and Scarf Hydreigon is well worth it.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Been testing Genesect in a Sun Team, and it's been working very well. I've been using a team stacking a lot of hazards which means that Genesect can easily rack up residual damage on incoming Pokemon and easily threaten them out with the prospect of a U-Turn, or appropriate Special move. A team which has Genesect / Forretress / Dugtrio means that you very easily gain momentum while being able to trap other weather inducers. This is super important on a Sun team, when Sun traditionally does not have the best matchup against other weather inducers, or other weathers in general.

As for the viability of common Genesect sets, it's easy to see that Scarf Genesect is the superior option, while Rock Polish / Focus Sash variants are still viable, and good at bluffing a Choice Item. As for defensive sets, there's really no need. Genesect has such a great offensive movepool it would be a shame to waste it. There are other bulky Steels such as Jirachi and Skarmory who play a much better defensive role than Genesect, while also getting access to hazards and recovery.

Expecting to see a rise in offensive teams using Volt Turn, or hazard stacking in general. Genesect benefits greatly from hazards, even if it is just a layer of Stealth Rock. I've found the best way to use Genesect, is to find good offensive partners to deal with its main checks / counters. Dugtrio for example is a great partner, trapping Ninetales, Heatran, Jirachi, Volcarona, Toxicroak, Terrakion, Tentacruel and more. It easily cleans the way for Genesect to sweep late game when all of its checks are gone, as nothing will appreciate a +1 Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Bug Buzz coupled with hazards.
Seconding this. Genesect on a Sun team is almost unfair at times. The team I'm currently running is Ninetales - Genesect - Victini - Dugtrio - Venusaur - Xatu, and if it's not clear what the team strategy is by now, U-Turn out of threats with Scarf Genesect and Victini, trap and kill them with Dugtrio, sweep with Venusaur and Victini. It's ridiculously easy to use at times, and as of yesterday I was holding the #2 spot on Beta and the #3 spot on PS with the team.

My other team also abuses Genesect (sash this time) and a trapper, this time Gothitelle, consisting of Genesect - Tyranitar - Gothitelle - Breloom - Landorus - Sandslash. Again, the idea is simple: U-Turn out of big walls with Genesect and Landorus, trap and kill them with Gothitelle, sweep with Breloom and Sandslash. Genesect does its job so remarkably well that from now on I can't imagine building an offensive team without one. It's unfair how many switches it forces, not right that it has access to Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam coupled with a guaranteed Special Attack boost against half the metagame.

I know we're not supposed to talk about suspecting here, but...

All it takes is one bad prediction for an opponent to wreck your Genesect though. It is still frail and OU is full of powerful frail sweepers. Yes it has great coverage but I'm still able to deal with it on the teams I run with and only one change had to be made on one of my teams to adapt.

^It also has the most troll speed ever. People think Landorus-I and Thundurus-T are bad? Well, they are for your opponent, but shit like this means any base 100 (and seriously, there's about three million of them) ruins your day. I know the last DW team I made before had a Scarfrachi with Fire Punch specifically for this. There were maybe two or three of them that didn't switch out, hoping for an easy U-turn or Flamethrower.

A mixed Genesect is certainly about as difficult to switch into as Mixmence (which if I'm not mistaken, had the "Counter This Pokemon" thread throw up its hands in defeat, there are no hard counters, only smart switching), but that speed is going to hurt him. Unless you Smash Pass, in which case you are going to ruin someone's day.

I really haven't seen to many people mention this, but how viable is using Electroweb on Genesect? It seems that Scarf or Flame Charge is great, because it gives Genesect that +1 boost. But the main thing I feel with Genesect, is that the opponent is going to try and switch into something because of it's wide move pool or expect a U-Turn from it. So if your opponent switches out, they are immediately at a -1 in Speed (unless they are immune to Electric), which means you should most likely outspeed it or they stay in and end up at a -1 anyways. Both of these situations, the opposing Pokemon is of course going to take some sort of damage from the Electroweb as well.

Maybe it's just me theorymoning here, but I feel like it does have it's possibilities.

The problem is that an LO set is perhaps too prone to being revenge killed / walled and residual damage will put a big dent on it. If something like Heatran or Blissey comes in to stop you, you're going to take 10% from the U-turn. Unless you somehow manage to pass a Wish onto Genesect, which is unlikely - the guy isn't particularly bulky; especially if it's low enough that it needs a wish.
I can understand the problems with residual damage however, being revenge killed/walled isn't a problem. Genesect isn't a boosting sweeper so revenge killing is non-issue and it certainly is not easy to wall. As a matter of fact it is one of the hardest to wall threats in OU! Considering Genesect will be at +1 in either of his attacking stats he can certainly be a handful. With the given spread below, you can do 36-42% with a +1 boosted U-turn to Chansey and then send in an appropriate physical attacker. By far I think this Genesect's weather of choice is Sandstorm as it allows it to wear down Chansey and other targets much easier by adding residual damage. In rain you still have fire attacks doing a large amount of damage and have an added water "weakness".

Genesect @ Life Orb
Trait: Download
EVs: 128 Atk / 128 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

A good Genesect lure that raped me on ladder is Scarf Celebi with HP fire. Cause I mean, how tempting is it to use U-turn on a Celebi forcing a switch or just outright killing it? Genesects base 99 speed is just right below base 100 for celebi. People always lead with genesect, especially if you place celebi in the lead spot for team preview. Only thing that would give it away would be if you send celebi in to revenge Genesect. Scarf Celebi isn't a gimmick either and it can be used as a good revenge killer, volt turn counter, and pivot. (although the effectiveness of this will be a lot less if scarf celebi becomes common).

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I can understand the problems with residual damage however, being revenge killed/walled isn't a problem. Genesect isn't a boosting sweeper so revenge killing is non-issue and it certainly is not easy to wall. As a matter of fact it is one of the hardest to wall threats in OU! Considering Genesect will be at +1 in either of his attacking stats he can certainly be a handful. With the given spread below, you can do 36-42% with a +1 boosted U-turn to Chansey and then send in an appropriate physical attacker. By far I think this Genesect's weather of choice is Sandstorm as it allows it to wear down Chansey and other targets much easier by adding residual damage. In rain you still have fire attacks doing a large amount of damage and have an added water "weakness".

Genesect @ Life Orb
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
I have liked using this set in Sand, but with an Expert Belt instead of a Life Orb. Hitting Chansey hard is never really an issue since Landorus-I and/or Terrakion are there for that (and Ttar to an extent) on a Sand team and Genesect already has enough issues with residual damage from SR and Spikes. Sure, outside of Heatran, there isn't one single Pokemon that walls everything Genesect has, but taking 10% from every U-Turn to escape from a counter or to gain momentum just doesn't seem worth it to me. Plus, running Expert Belt alongside Landorus-I can really play mind games with the opponent since Gene and Lando-I are easily the 2 best Expert Belt users in OU. (imo at least)

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Genesect @ Life Orb
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
I don't know how productive it is to be running 128 Atk EV's when you're only running one physical move. I can understand if you need them to net a certain 2HKO or OHKO but i dont really see any benefit from them except having a slightly stronger U-turn. I feel like this set would benefit from 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe that way your coverage moves hit desirably much harder and dont hinder any possible OHKOs or 2HKOs. Also, this set can work don't get me wrong but the choice scarf Genesect set is superior imo. You're vulnerable to every base 100+ pokemon in the meta and you really dont outspeed anything significant. And the fact that LO recoil appears shows your opponent that you're not scarfed (something thats assumed right now pretty much) so if you want the surprise factor I'd say EBelt would be a better option

haunter

Banned deucer.
Ebelt is definitely the way to go on non choiced sets, if only for the surprise factor and the great SE coverage that Genesect gets. As for the 100 base Spe Pokemon, the problem, in my opinion, is more theoretical than practical. Common base 100 Spe like Jirachi, Celebi, Tentacruel and Mew rarely use a positive Spe nature and 252 Spe EVs as they prefer to invest in bulk, so you still get to outspeed most of them and the rare timid Hydreigon. The only 2 OU base 100 Spe Pokemon that might give you troubles are Salamence and Volcarona (though the latter rarely runs timid and you can't really do much to it so you'd be forced out anyway).

Ebelt is definitely the way to go on non choiced sets, if only for the surprise factor and the great SE coverage that Genesect gets. As for the 100 base Spe Pokemon, the problem, in my opinion, is more theoretical than practical. Common base 100 Spe like Jirachi, Celebi, Tentacruel and Mew rarely use a positive Spe nature and 252 Spe EVs as they prefer to invest in bulk, so you still get to outspeed most of them and the rare timid Hydreigon. The only 2 OU base 100 Spe Pokemon that might give you troubles are Salamence and Volcarona (though the latter rarely runs timid and you can't really do much to it so you'd be forced out anyway).
but the thing is people will react to genosect and use max speed to counter him if he is going to be troublesome

This guy is horrible to face against in the sun. I'd venture to say he's even better in the sun then in the rain since he add's a good set of resistances to a sun team, and can destroy Tyrannitar and Politoed.

haunter

Banned deucer.
but the thing is people will react to genosect and use max speed to counter him if he is going to be troublesome
No, not really. The Pokemon I mentioned all need defensive investment in order to counter specific threats. Things like Jirachi need HP and SpD EVs in order to counter Tornadus, Lati@s and co. The fact is that even if they run max Spe these Pokemon won't be guaranteed to outspeed Genesect given the fact that it often carries a scarf (or it can use rock polish to outspeed them anyway and sweep late game) while, by doing so, they're guaranteed to lose their "staying power". The same argument could have been made for things like Hydreigon and Haxorus, as both sit below the base 100 Spe tier but, as you can see, specially defensive Jirachi and defensive Mew and Tentacruel are still dominant.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
No, not really. The Pokemon I mentioned all need defensive investment in order to counter specific threats. Things like Jirachi need HP and SpD EVs in order to counter Tornadus, Lati@s and co. The fact is that even if they run max Spe these Pokemon won't be guaranteed to outspeed Genesect given the fact that it often carries a scarf (or it can use rock polish to outspeed them anyway and sweep late game) while, by doing so, they're guaranteed to lose their "staying power". The same argument could have been made for things like Hydreigon and Haxorus, as both sit below the base 100 Spe tier but, as you can see, specially defensive Jirachi and defensive Mew and Tentacruel are still dominant.
All true, the only base 100 genesect really has to fear is Victini, because its really the only one commonly used in OU that still threatens it even with a choice scarf

they are hardly common threats like genosect is however, genosect is more than likely to cause base 100 pokemon more grief than any other as bolt beam flame thrower and uturn hits ever single one for super effective damge virtualy, with the exception of tyranitar i think, rock ressists bug right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)