Gengarite Tiering Discussion [read post #383]

Do you think that Gengarite should be banned from OU?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something being "uncounterable" is generally not something we ban for. Hydreigon for instance, is technically uncounterable, since almost nothing can switch in on it, but its not Uber. Mega Gengar is a special case since Shadow Tag utterly removes your ability to switch but I still feel very uncomfortable banning something just because its uncounterable, - there are better reasons out there.
Fine, but there are some key differences between Hydreigon and Mega Gengar. First, if Mega Gengar has already mega evolved, then the opponent gets to designate the pokemon they want to finish off, if they can make you switch it in. With Hydreigon, even though there weren't any safe switch-ins, at least you got to choose which pokemon to switch in and die.

Ghost type moves have become powerful due to Steel no longer resisting them, so Gengar can get decent coverage by only running one move. This frees up the other slots for Perish Song, Protect, and Substitute. Like Hydreigon, Gengar has access to many other offensive moves that provide excellent coverage should it not want to run the perish song set, so knowing its moveset is important. Now, Hydreigon could destroy stall teams too, but it couldn't revenge kill in the same set.

Personally, I am not 100% sure that Mega Gengar should be quick banned, and although we have dealt with unpredictable pokemon, uncounterable pokemon, and pokemon that can trap and kill pokemon that would otherwise be a threat to your team, I don't think that we have ever dealt with one that is all three. All things considered, I agree that there is nothing groundbreaking about Mega Gengar, but it has a potent mix of advantages, any one of which is enough to make a pokemon OU just by itself.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Mons that can beat Mega Gengar when trapped or are 50/50s:

- goodra: isnt 2hkod and can 2hko back, but loses to the perish song trap set. 50/50 pretty much
- malamar: wins all the time, whether scarf or not, as it can survive a hit from mega gengar.
- noivern: can take a shadow ball and ohko
- klefki: foul play 2hkos but mega gengar 2hkos first. however it can twave then foul play, sacrificing its own life to cripple gengar. still, dies but w/e crippling gengar is enuff.
- mega alakazam: outspeeds and ohkos
- conkeldurr: can survive a hit and ohko
- donphan: can survive a hit and ohko
- dragonite: can survive a hit and ohko
- garchomp: usually has scarf so outspeeds and kos, can also take a hit
- gliscor: survives and ohkos
- haxorus: can take a hit and kill, can outspeed with scarf
- hippowdon: can take a hit and ohko
- jolteon: 50/50
- landorus: can survive and ohko
- salamence: takes a hit or outspeeds with scarf
- scizor: woo scizor, bullet punch 2hko or pursuit
- toxicroak: wins with sucker punch
- volcarona: can take a hit, set up, and KO
- mega absol: can ohko with sucker punch
- mega aero: outspeeds
- mega scizor: like scizor
- mega garchomp: like normal
- mega manectric: outspeeds and isnt ohkod
- mega mawile: ohko and survives shadow ball
- mega heracross: rock blast wins
- mega ampharos: survives + ohkos
Just expanding on this list of 50/50s, when gengar runs d-bond and taunt, as i have in the last couple of days, the list of non ghost-type pokes who beat it and survive is reduced to:

Klefki
Mega-zam
Garchomp (only scarfed variants)
Haxorus (""")
Mence (""")
Jolteon
Volcarona
Mega-Aero

Still unsure why this is up for discussion...

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
For what it's worth, if you're running 252 HP / 252 Speed for the Perish Trapper you're running a suboptimal set. Here's the set and EV spread I've been using:

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spd
120 HP / 252 Def / 136 Spd is comparatively bulky on the physical side, but we outspeed Timid Starmie & pals at base 115, and Mega Lucario.

252+ Atk Choice Band Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 248 HP / 164 Def Mega Gengar: 240-284 (74.3 - 87.9%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 120 HP / 252 Def Mega Gengar: 218-260 (74.9 - 89.3%)

Did I use that as the main centre piece of argument?

Basically I am saying he has a few flaws. I'm not saying that that is the main reason as to what is pulling him back from Ubers, but I'd still consider it one of them. Personally I find Mega-Kang to be a bigger threat with his boosts, good sweeping potential and bulk, but I don't want to stray off topic here.

And likewise, you say "Counters like Ttar amd Psychic-types to a certain extent will most certaintly be taken care of" but not everything goes a person's way in a Pokemon battle, especially if you are versing someone just as good or better. They are obviously going to want to keep them around etc. blah blah blah

I am sorry that I realised this late, but I am not about to go over 23 pages of posts, although I have gone over quite a few and read many of the different arguments floating around. And in the end a lot of this is based on what people have personally witnessed etc. Some people are going to see at as a bigger threat than others, I don't see at as too big a threat worthy of Ubers in the end, you might. I have reasons, you have reasons, and we might both look at them in different ways, I don't find that either points are illogical. There are always going to be debate etc.

And on the topic of debate. The response you made to my first point that the Mega-evolving turn is irrelevant I would have to disagree with. It is like Prankster Mega-Banette, and it does affect the effectiveness of it. "He needs one turn to get the ability up and can threaten/protect during that turn, and most likely switch out, making it a non-factor" I don't quite understand what you meant by that by threaten or protect or the switching out part and so am going to respond as how I read it. The point of a switch will generally be on what you predict your opponent to do, and as quite a few Pokemon can switch in on Mega-Geng without taking over 50% health as long as it was predicted right or is tanky enough to just tank it without much risk, hence I don't feel that it strongly "threatens". I'm not sure what you are meaning by "Protect" that turn, as the only real things he can do to protect would be to Substitute on that turn, granted it is running it, and would be good for it. The switching out part is where you confuse me the most as I read that as switching out on the turn which it Mega-evolves which isn't possible. So I assume you'd be saying the next turn, and that is what I tried to cover. Your opponent may get a free turn if it is forced out for whatever reason, which there are a few because his counters aren't limited, and then can get a free move of setup, whereas Mega-Geng doesn't really have any setup outside of Substitute, which may aid it a lot in the next battle but if the Geng user doesn't setup a sub, there could be problems. In the meantime any counter measure has the ability to setup with entry hazards or a boosting move or whatever, as Mega-Geng isn't a good setup. This in the long run could result in the opponent's advantage.

In your response to my second point. I am by know means saying that his SpA isn't BAD, but it there is still BETTER out there. For those who are using it for SpA sweeping which I have seen the majority using it for, that may not be the best way to go but these are based off of my observations of the sets which I have previously experienced. In the terms of the sweeping spectrum (regardless of whether you don't think that is his best role it is definitely one that he can fulfil well and will be seen around I'd assume) I experienced a Mega-Gengar which switched in on my specially defensive Vaporeon (which was fully invested in SpD so not to Gengar's discredit). I am not sure of what the EV or nature spread of this guys Gengar was but his Thunderbolt did not do more than 50% of Vaporeon's health, whereas a Scald did over 50% of Mega-Gengs health and he was forced out. This may not be the best example, but it shows how even walls and somethings which Mega-Geng can be around to try and be rid of can deal a significant amount of retaliation to it in certain cases. This is an example of a wall which is Mega-Geng's job to get rid of which he isn't up the task for, somewhat showing that he is somewhat drawn back from the role of taking out walls in order to let other Pokemon sweep without perhaps sacrificing himself with Destiny Bond. I just can't see what he shines at so much because of this. I have never really felt overly threatened by Mega-Geng.

And I like how people say "a good Mega-Gengar player should not do this or this" as if the game of Pokemon is just as easy like that. With Pokemon being such a diverse game filled with chance and millions of possible situations, it is hard for you to pinpoint what a user of a particular Pokemon should and should not do. Granted there are some obvious scenarios where it is very unfavourable for you to do something, but it is a lot about prediction and chance as well. You cannot have a perfect Mega-Geng player so please don't make comments like "I would have always gotten rid of so and so first" and that everything will go your way because it doesn't. You can't ignore a Pokemons counters because you have another Pokemon which makes up for it, because it doesn't always match up enough like that.

But basically what I am saying as an end result is that Mega-Geng's counters are not limited unlike for example the 2 pokes who were just banned, Blaziken and Deoxys-N. Those 2 were very hard to stop and got away with too much, Mega-Gengar doesn't do this to the same extent. A good player should be able to take out at least 1 or 2 of his/her's opponents pokemon, but it generally doesn't get too much better for Mega-Geng, and a lot of other OU Pokemon have similar capabilities. A good player should also be able to deal with a Mega-Geng effectively as well. In the end I consider Mega-Geng to be OU material and thing like Blaziken and Deoxys-N to be bigger threats and more ban worthy, out of personal opinion.
Well, there are other sets out there. Mega Gengar is definitely not the most potent sweeper but is THE best team support. I'll use your example as well. If you wanted to get rid of Vaporeon, you can have a couple of sets. One is Perish Song, which when mixed with Sub and Protect, will kill your Vap. Also, I can just run Destiny Bond on the next turn and when you take me out, you're Vap is gone as well. And while you might say it's okay; a Mega Gengar for a Vaporeon, but that Vaporeon may have been the one thing between a sweep for my other Special Attacker to now destroy your whole team as you now have no stops for it. This is why Mega Gengar is too good. Not because it's a sweeper, but as team support. So any arguments around it as a sweeper are practically null as the support options available to Mega Gengar are just that much more superior.

(On a side note, I better not hear anyone saying: "But I wouldn't switch in my Vap in the first place!" Well, I can just force you into switching it in by switching in a Special Attacker, making you switch to your SpD Vap before switching to Mega Gengar. Done. Simple.)

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
What I'm thinking of is whether Mega Gengar fits more at home with Ubers or with OU.

In Ubers, there hardly exists a Pokemon which, against Mega Gengar, is useless. Every single Pokemon stands at least some viable chance against Gengar, whether it's catching it on the switch or hitting it back once trapped. This means that the highly strategical and prediction-oriented atmosphere of Pokemon battling is preserved.

However, in the OU tier (and all of the non-OU Pokemon that are found relatively commonly in OU), there are certain things that will have no choice but to die to Mega Gengar, and not necessarily because of a statistical matchup or type matchup, but because of its arguably anti-metagame ability and countless ways to dispatch a wide variety of opponents. The reason why other Pokemon are in OU is because they have checks and counters in OU. Yes, it is undeniable that Mega Gengar has its counters, but that's irrelevant to its most dangerous role. It can remove other Pokemon's counters with little to no effort, and the trainer whose team has been systematically disabled (no pun intended) by Mega Gengar's tactics will probably end up losing. And no Trainer should ever have to put Psychic on their Blissey just to land a blow on a Pokemon that will end up killing it anyway.

Again, I see this as no problem in Ubers because just about every Uber-viable Pokemon has a way to deal with every other Ubers-viable Pokemon. So, in conclusion, I think Mega Gengar is more suited for the Ubers atmosphere than it is in OU.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for posting this. I don't think most us doubt the offensive prowress of MGengar and his ability to land OHKOs and 2HKOs but the point about him not being able to switch into most pokemons (attacks, boosts and status) and has to wait for the revenge kill or that a lot of pokemon need to be damaged previously or otherwise his 2HKO might cost him his own life is very misunderstood. This is the support the anti-ban side is talking about.

For example (I'm not mentioning the encounters where it is an obvious MGengar win or pokemon MGengar needs 3HKOs to win again):

Aegislash: If SR is on MGengars field then he is dead via Shadow Sneak. If Aegislash keeps his Shield on and attacks with Shadow Claw with enough health, MGengar is dead.

Aegislash is not able to be trapped so obviously this is at a disadvantage to Mega Gengar, but still the fact that MGengar can take a 252+ Aegislash Shadow Sneak with no SR up (not to mention the ones that are specially based) and do a truckload back with SE Shadow Ball to a Pokemon as bulky as Aegislash is not to be underestimated.

252 SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 224-266 (69.1 - 82%)

Talonflame: Guranteed OHKO with SR using BB and a boosting item. If Talonflame loses this match up then it is most probably MGengar will very little HP left to survive another match up.

CB Talonflame, the most common set, not locked in BB is a loss for the bird. It doesn't matter if Gengar has a little HP left since it did its job by killing Talonflame and now your Keldeo or whatever has free reign.

Ferrothorn: If it has T-wave then it is safe to assume that opponent might use it if he predicts a switch of anything from MGengar to a set up sweeper. MGengar is able to 2HKO it but it will lose half of it's health if it doesn't run disable or disables the wrong move.

Prediction goes both ways so that's hardly a good reason. Still in Mega Gengar's favor since it is forcing you to use TWave lest you be trapped by it coming in, and for the record, TWave + Gyro Ball (the only move that can beat MGar) on the same set is a very, very bad idea and I shouldn't have to explain why.

Tyranitar: MGengar's hits are a guranteed 2HKO, but it can't take any of it's attacks in return and will die.

0 Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 134-162 (51.3 - 62%)
252+ Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 180-212 (68.9 - 81.2%)
252 SpA Mega Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 308-364 (76.2 - 90%)

Mega Gengar does too much damage with Focus Blast to non Assault Vest sets and Pursuit does not KO Gengar if TTar mispredicts so this matchup is still in Mega Gengar's favor, not to mention TTar itself can't switch out.

Scizor: SR + BP will put it in the Red zone.

Scizor does not KO after SR unless it is Banded, and Gengar wins if it comes in while Scizor is locked into any other move. You can also give Gengar bulk investment and HP Fire if you really need to trap Scizor.

Klefki: Has taunt but the more popular parafusion set has T-wave and Foul play, suffice to say MGengar will also lose at least half of his health to win this encounter or get statused otherwise.

Garchomp: Depends on item used. Lead Garchomps use Focus Sash, offensive ones tend to use Yache and revenge killers use Scarf, none of them are good for MGengar who needs his teammates to previously damage it before it can revenge kill it safely.

Already mentioned that these two were 50/50s.

Azumarill: MGengar cannot switch in. If it wants to revenge kill it must take into consideration the (53.3 - 63.3%) damage from CB Aqua Jet and possible SR.

It can switch in on Superpower and Play Rough since it resists Fairy. Azumarill has no chance of living of Sludge Wave. This encounter is never going to end well for Azumarill unless Gengar switches directly in on Waterfall, which is highly unlikely since that is not how you play Mega Gengar.

Rotom-W: Most sets run defense as a counter to Talonflame among others, but MGengar cannot switch in and will take damage if it aims for a kill on semi healthy Rotom. Again, not an ideal situation and probably not MGengars priority for sniping.

252 SpA Mega Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 180-213 (59.2 - 70%)
0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gengar: 129-153 (49.4 - 58.6%)

It can also come in on Will-O-Wisp or Rest or Pain Split. Rotom-W is looking mighty shaky once around 65%, which honestly isn't too hard to do to it. And again, it doesn't matter if MGar takes damage if it kills Rotom-W in the process and opens up a sweep for your Talonflame.

Noivern: MGengar needs Noivern to take SR damage or similar loss of health in order to OHKO it without HP Ice and cannot take any of its choiced attacks in return.

252 SpA Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Noivern: 229-270 (73.63 - 86.81%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Try again.

Alakzam: Needs to have it's focus sash broken.

If it has 1 HP less than full it's dead so this is hardly comforting.

Dragonite: Needs to have it's MS broken.

Because using U-turn or having Sand or keeping SR up on the foe's side of the field is so hard when MGar not only blocks Rapid Spin but easily traps and kills every single spinner in the game. Rey already pointed out stuff like MS DNite was a 50/50 so I do not see your point. Also, there is always Destiny Bond.

Gliscor: MGengar needs HP Ice or Disable.

Totally worth running if you need Gliscor to die. How is this even a counter argument?

MLucario: If SR has been set up on MGengars side then it will be brought down to the brink of death with a BP and cannot switch in again.

If it kills Mega Lucario in the process then it has done its job, not to mention you should probably have better Mega Lucario checks on your team than just Mega Gengar.

MKangaskhan: Must be wary of using PP and Scrappy to get at least +1 boost. Lots of prediction can go on here, Sucker Punch, Sub Disabling, predicting that and using EQ. MGengar prefers to enter this fight with a sub on to reliably dispatch this threat.

Mega Gengar can also simply use Disable without Sub to get rid of Sucker Punch and then proceed to murder MKangs.

CharX:
Can set up on MGengar if it has full to near full health, generally not advised if the opponent has neutral priority though. Needs to be previously damaged.

252 SpA Mega Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard: 219-258 (73.7 - 86.8%)
252 SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard: 184-217 (61.9 - 73%)

With SR, CharX is either screwed or not going to be able to sweep.

Trevenant: Needs to be previously damaged.

252 SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 140+ SpD Trevenant: 294-348 (78.6 - 93%)

lol so much previous damage

Skarmory: Needs have its Sturdy broken or MGengar can be looking at (63.3 - 74.8%) without SR.

Still not a KO, and if Skarm dies then Mega Gengar has done its job. Breaking Skarmory's Sturdy is seriously not that difficult with SR or Scizor U-turn or 1 freaking HP of damage.

Togekiss: Thunderwave can cripple MGengar and Togekiss can go on to parahax it to death. Needs to be previously damaged to get OHKO'd by Sludge Wave.

252 SpA Mega Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 252-296 (67.3 - 79.1%)

See Dragonite for why keeping SR up is so hard for Mega Gengar. Not to mention Gengar can come in on anything that isn't TWave, and if Togekiss isn't fully specially defensive it is screwed.

Volcarona: Bulky versions can set up on MegaGengar and kill it.

Only if there is no SR. See Dragonite.

Mawile: Sucker punch is an issue, but even after a disable, if Mawile isnt sufficiently damaged, MGengar will suffer to it's other attacks.

Oh lord, it can't switch into and beat a 100% Mega Mawile. Neither can most of the game. At least MGar can still use Destiny Bond.

Clawitzer: Needs to be previously damaged.

Delphox: Loses to scarfed versions.

Gardevoir: Needs to be previously damaged.

You are seriously just grasping for straws at this point by mentioning those three.
Responded in bold.

What are you even trying to prove with this post? Your examples here are either strawmanning hard or have already been addressed by reyscarface and many other posters. Again, you seem to be assuming that Mega Gengar either has to hard switch in, is always trying to kill these Pokemon from full health, or has to have Shadow Ball/Sludge Wave/Thunderbolt/HP Ice/HP Fire/Taunt/Destiny Bond/Substitute/Perish Song/Disable/Tackle/Growl/Cooltrainer/TM52 to trap what the user needs it to trap. These points have already been addressed in other posts from myself, Fuzznip, ginga, reyscarface and many others, and I'm not going to bother repeating them since you apparently haven't read them or just choose to ignore them since you clearly haven't appropriately addressed them. You are only making the anti-ban argument worse by repeatedly bringing up points that have already been refuted by several other people. Seriously, read this post, read the posts that post links to, and then look back at your own post and really consider if maybe "Dang, maybe this point I'm trying to make has already been countered or addressed by someone else! I should either respond to that point or try a new argument." So far, the only anti-ban arguments I have seen that have still held some water are those from Zracknel, Zracknel, and Zracknel, and unless you (and not just you, so don't think this is solely calling you out) can build upon something similar without repeating something that has already been refuted, perhaps you should reconsider bringing it up.

Finally, I just want to say this to everyone: when considering whether or not to quickban Gengarite, please just take a moment to ask yourself "Do I really believe Mega Gengar might not be banned in a suspect test?" Unless you really, truly believe that a Pokemon with Shadow Tag, 170/130 offenses, Ghost/Poison typing and STABs that only got better in Gen 6, a movepool that allows it to customize itself to beat almost any counter to its user's main sweeper or teammates several different ways, and enough bulk to handle priority might not be broken, and you really, truly believe that wasting a month and much manpower and time from the tiering council to run a Suspect Test for such a Pokemon might result in it not being banned, and you really, truly believe you have good reasoning for believing such that hasn't already been refuted, please do not say Mega Gengar should not be quickbanned.

Please forgive me if this post comes off as being rude. It's just kind of frustrating seeing the inability of the anti-ban argument to do anything aside from go around in circles ad infinitum.

1. The first time it comes in whatever it is up against has the chance to escape Shadow Tag, and this delay is very significant. A good Shadow Tag would want to immediately have what it wants trapped and then to dispose of it or greatly cripple it. Mega-Gengar doesn't have this luxury, and the opponent can switch into a counter to M-Geng forcing it out. It will then have the ability to trap whatever it pleases on the next switch in but this will come with drawbacks. This renders his Shadow Tag ability not as good as it what it probably could be, and if this did immediately trap in the turn of Mega-evolving I think this would mean completely different things for it.

I'm partially using this post to challenge this overall issue thats come up time and time again. The problem is that a good M-gengar user will use that first switch in as an excuse to transform and draw out what you have to counter it that, unless it has pursuit, is just going to see M-Gengar retreat again. Now, Gengar will never have to switch again and will be able to instantly trap anything it wants to for the rest of the match. Meanwhile, your counter may or may not get destroyed at this point.

The largest problem with this argument, though, is that it requires you to predict, successfully, perfectly, that ONE TURN in the entire match when you have the opportunity to switch. After that, Gengar is free to move in, and out, and trap and kill whatever it feels like. Your argument about the "significant delay" lasts only one turn. It would be different if it was one turn every time he switched in, but its not. Its just once.

Personally, I play stall, so MegaGar really makes it difficult for me. THis replay:

http://pastebin.com/G2XEkt18

show how perish song gengar just comes in to take out my main walls and pretty much it causes me to play really differently. (other than the fact that i lost chansey on purpose to get rocks up to punish whatever switches come later) It also causes me to pack choice scarf latias (as no one associates latias with choice scarf)

Calculations really are not needed when no damage is going to be done against perish trap. Luckily, as i carry 2 counters to most common threats, i still caused the Mengar user to forfeit :)

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With M-Gengar and saying offence beats it, it's not just centralizing the metagame to use certain pokemon, it's centralizing it to use a certain STYLE.
OU isn't forced into offense because of Mega Gengar, but because that is the most effective way to play the game right now. Removing Gengarite from the meta won't change its overal nature.

Responded in bold.

What are you even trying to prove with this post? Your examples here are either strawmanning hard or have already been addressed by reyscarface and many other posters. Again, you seem to be assuming that Mega Gengar either has to hard switch in, is always trying to kill these Pokemon from full health, or has to have Shadow Ball/Sludge Wave/Thunderbolt/HP Ice/HP Fire/Taunt/Destiny Bond/Substitute/Perish Song/Disable/Tackle/Growl/Cooltrainer/TM52 to trap what the user needs it to trap.
First of all, I didn't come with any pokemon from my own, these are all mentioned in these blanket lists produced by the pro ban side. And since you are a fan of Zracknel's post I'll try to paraphrase him:

Oh lord, it can't switch into and beat a 100% Mega Mawile. Neither can most of the game. At least MGar can still use Destiny Bond.
Only if there is no SR. See Dragonite
Already mentioned that these two were 50/50s.

I'm trying to prove with this list your above responses (a sample really). MGengar sounds brilliant in theory but isn't flawless in practice and cannot account for everything with just 4 moves. You also have to play optimally to get those 50/50s or cases where SR is needed or previous damage required or preventing the enemy from boosting prior to your revenge kill or pranksters with status or scarfers to get these results, as many people who are actually using MGengar on their teams will tell you, instead of pure theorymoning and ladder bashing.

As said, MGengar is a great pokemon, there is no doubt he can achieve many 2HKOs and even some OHKOs without any boosts. However, you need to have good play on your part or otherwise you will not only lose MGengar but your mega slot and other consequences. These gurantees are skill dependent. Also as shown, MGengar, a support pokemon, needs to have the team built around him to get any satisfactory results, for example answers to the things he can't cover in his (customized) set, hazards and mid game play to ensure damage has been spread, removing your own hazards in return if it places far more danger than trapping is worth, etc. Lastly, MGengar is taking a Megaslot, and there are others that might provide greater value and can sweep on their own given that their counters are mere handful and might not be worth the trouble accommodating MGengar is.

You mention strawmen and going around in circles, well I'm seeing repeated arguments from the same side ad nausuem.

Edit: ad nauseam cause Haunter knows everything <_<

Edit2: Hopefully none of us are rude, if we both are most of us weren't genuine good players who care enough about a balanced meta both in having less restrictions or more options, we wouldn't care enought to post at all. Whatever the outcome, we are all grown ups to acknowledge that perhaps it is better that way.

Last edited:
OU isn't forced into offense because of Mega Gengar, but because that is the most effective way to play the game right now. Removing Gengarite from the meta won't change its overal nature.
Yeah but stall teams always have a way of working in the meta. Mega-Gengar here turns stall into a game of Perish-Trapping. The replay that Yellow gave happens a lot to me in some way and even with my Rotom Volt Switching and my Scizor U-turning out 4/6ths of my team are HELPLESS against this guy because I don't run Volt-Turn/Baton Pass/Shed Shell on them.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm trying to prove with this list your above responses (a sample really). MGengar sounds brilliant in theory but isn't flawless in practice and cannot account for everything with just 4 moves. You also have to play optimally to get those 50/50s or cases where SR is needed or previous damage required or preventing the enemy from boosting prior to your revenge kill or pranksters with status or scarfers to get these results, as many people who are actually using MGengar on their teams will tell you, instead of pure theorymoning and ladder bashing.

As said, MGengar is a great pokemon, there is no doubt he can achieve many 2HKOs and even some OHKOs without any boosts. However, you need to have good play on your part or otherwise you will not only lose MGengar but your mega slot and other consequences.
The underlined portion is what I want to emphasize. It's been said several times that Mega Gengar doesn't need to account for everything, but only to what your team needs removed. Can it take on everything at once? Of course not. Does it need to? Absolutely not. Say you've got a team that uses Gliscor as its Swords Dance Lucario check, or Skarmory as its Garchomp check. You can customize Gengar to kill these threats one hundred percent of the time. The only way to avoid being trapped by mega gengar is to not switch in at all. This is another one of its abilities, in the fact that it doesn't need to be on the field to "shut down" a member of your team.

Basically, there's literally no way to stop mega gengar from trapping and killing the key pokemon on your team that is your last defense against the opponent's sweepers. It doesn't matter that you can use Talonflame to KO it with brave bird or hit it with Mega Mawhile, it's not going to stay in on those pokemon, it's going to trap and kill something else, which you can't stop it from doing.

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I've always found the "it sounds great in theory but in reality it can't account for everything with 4 moves" argument to be really dumb. Deoxys-S in 5th gen "couldn't account for everything in one moveset," but the issue was that it put so much pressure on the opponent because there was no way of knowing what particular set it was running until it was too late, effectively making trying to deal with it a dice roll.

I feel like I should start doing a chant of LUGIA! LUGIA! LUGIA! LUGIA! whenever people keep thinking that something has to be able to kill EVERYTHING to be Uber.

Haunter made a very good post on the definition of an Uber in this post.

AJwf made an informational post as to why Lugia, a support mon was Uber in this post.

Yes, MGengar is not Mr. Do it all. Yes, it cannot deal with everything. Well guess what! So can't Lugia! Lugia for OU people!

What you people have to realize is freaking Shadow Tag combined with MGengar's versatile moveset where it can be tailored to beat any threat you have trouble with GUARANTEED (i.e. the player using him is not a drooling idiot) is why he is being pushed for Uber.

The underlined portion is what I want to emphasize. It's been said several times that Mega Gengar doesn't need to account for everything, but only to what your team needs removed. Can it take on everything at once? Of course not. Does it need to? Absolutely not. Say you've got a team that uses Gliscor as its Swords Dance Lucario check, or Skarmory as its Garchomp check. You can customize Gengar to kill these threats one hundred percent of the time. The only way to avoid being trapped by mega gengar is to not switch in at all. This is another one of its abilities, in the fact that it doesn't need to be on the field to "shut down" a member of your team.

Basically, there's literally no way to stop mega gengar from trapping and killing the key pokemon on your team that is your last defense against the opponent's sweepers. It doesn't matter that you can use Talonflame to KO it with brave bird or hit it with Mega Mawhile, it's not going to stay in on those pokemon, it's going to trap and kill something else, which you can't stop it from doing.
I have no problem in agreeing with the part where MGengar can trap defensive pokemon/defensive cores most of the time and making a good stride for his team even though you should never hinge on it getting more than one pokemon. At the same time, as far as MGengar being a sweeper in general or assassinating offensive sweepers/facing offensive teams in general, he needs a lot of back up and could end up being useless if your opponent boosts first or any of the other things I mentioned.

Is MGengars performance against Stall specifically and his ability to take care of defensive cores in general enough to warrant a quick ban even though the large majority of teams are offensive in nature?

Edit: Also whoever you are and whatever side you are on, don't rubbish the ladder. As of today the only legitimate place to play Perish Stall Gengar anywhere is on the PS ladder. PO has banned it, Wifi doesn't even have it. Yes players should refrain from saying "I met xyz in a random match and it clearly sucks/uber beyond words", but at the same time reporting your overall experience and how you think it handles (it's a car right?) is just as important as theorymoning is concerned.

Last edited:
Are you calling stall a gimmick with no place in the meta?
Top #1 Master players only use HO as their style. Anything else is unacceptable. Nein, imposirubu. Hence the smogon unofficial slogan since Gen 5 "HO stronf".

Of course not, stall is not a gimmick and will never be. We are just calling facts as they are right now, a suspect where the community is divided upon generally effects one playstyle more than the other as opposed to clear suspects who steamroll everything in their path.

I really wish there was a way to make it so you can only vote in the poll once you've given a reasonable argument. I've seen pages of anti-MGar posts, and little support for it staying OU, which does not reflect the polls at the moment at all.

Where are the 500 people who think this should stay OU?

I really wish there was a way to make it so you can only vote in the poll once you've given a reasonable argument. I've seen pages of anti-MGar posts, and little support for it staying OU, which does not reflect the polls at the moment at all.

Where are the 500 people who think this should stay OU?
For what it's worth, the poll doesn't actually count for anything. It's there so people have something to push when they don't feel like contributing anything else.

I haven't even voted yet so I can't see how many people voted either way.

Of course not, stall is not a gimmick and will never be. We are just calling facts as they are right now, a suspect where the community is divided upon generally effects one playstyle more than the other as opposed to clear suspects who steamroll everything in their path.
If a Pokemon renders a non-gimmick playstyle unusable in almost any situation I think it qualifies as broken.

For what it's worth, the poll doesn't actually count for anything. It's there so people have something to push when they don't feel like contributing anything else.

I haven't even voted yet so I can't see how many people voted either way.
I know, but it's misleading to come into a thread and see that everyone's split 50/50, when in reality, it's clearly not that way.

I know, but it's misleading to come into a thread and see that everyone's split 50/50, when in reality, it's clearly not that way.
i'd wager to say it's more people that're just looking into it casually/not really thinking and are more:
"noooo no banning because... because banning is baaaaaad! that's why!"
[not saying all anti-ban people are like this, but it's what i'd suspect personally]

If a Pokemon renders a non-gimmick playstyle unusable in almost any situation I think it qualifies as broken.
How do we define certain playstyles as being supposed to be usable? If stall isn't effective in the current meta, it isn't effective and people should avoid it and can't complain when it loses.

After having read most of this thread (too much posts with too much information, I will apologize in advance if I happen to mimic someone's argument), as well as some playtesting with and against several different Mega Gengar sets, I would like to throw in my 2 cents.

First of all, the Perish Song set appears to be the most devastating metagame-wise so I will focus most of my points around that set. However, here we meet our first point: Mega Gengar is extremely versatile and a lot of "would-be" checks can become completely countered, trapped and killed with the right Gengar set. That's bad because it will force a smart player to run at least 2 Mega Genger checks and causes an overcentralizing of the game. While we have other things that overcentralize the game (e.g. Stealth Rocks), these things have a lot more "counters" and checks than Gengar. Looking through this thread, I only see a handful of Pokemon pop up that can consistently check most of Gengar's sets. This means that Gengar is even more overcentralizing than Stealth Rocks, and I've heard even Stealth Rocks have had their time of no-SR OU playtesting.

Secondly, and I know this has been mentioned many times before but I simply can't stress it enough, Mega Gengar doesn't NEED to 6-0 teams. You have 6 Pokémon in your team, it's not like you're playing Mega Gengar vs Opponent's Team. Mega Gengar's most effective set metagame wise is the Perish Trapper and with the right coverage, you can completely dismantle whatever counter your opponent might have for another sweeper on your team. This has been mentioned exstensively in the Uber Support arguments, so I won't bang on it further. There are enough reasons why this is a bad thing in previous posts.

I'm also getting sick of players saying "Mega Gengar can't OHKO X Pokemon, so it's bad". This kind of brings me back to my second point, Gengar doesn't need to (nor should it) counter EVERYTHING. As long as Mega Gengar can take out your opponent's most prominent wall that's stopping you from sweeping, it will have done its job and most likely secured your win. That's a win-condition that's way too easily met since the Perish Trapper is guaranteed at least 1 kill as long as you know what you're doing. Yes, this is irrelevant against Offensive Teams that don't rely on walls, but that brings me back to the first point again: Mega Gengar heavily overcentralizes the metagame. One of the most fun parts about Pokémon (because let's not forget people, in the end, we're all playing this just for fun) is that you have a large diversity of Pokémon and strategies to choose from. When 1 Pokémon (or item, rather) singlehandedly makes one (and a big one at that) of those strategies unplayable, I find that unhealthy to the game overall.

Yes, Mega Gengar will take skill and prediction to work most optimally, but we can't just assume every player is your average Joe. In the right hands, Mega Gengar is a win condition on its own. People have argued the same goes for Mega Khan and that a player will have to choose between either two, but (and I fear I'm getting too close to being off-topic, but I feel it HAS to be said) when there's only 2 "viable" Megas to choose from, it centralizes the game once again deeper. So yes, if Mega Gengar gets the banhammer, I will heavily advice to do the same to Mega Khan. As Zracknel mentioned before, when Gengar is out of the picture, there's almost no reason not to run Mega Khan. However, I find it an extremely lackluster argument for keeping Mega Gengar OU, due to the fact you're talking about an overcentralization that will happen by removing another overcentralization.

All in all, while I'm principally against the banning of stuff for the reason diversity is what makes this game fun, Mega Gengar is causing the exact opposite and therefore I think it should be removed from OU.

Edit: Also whoever you are and whatever side you are on, don't rubbish the ladder. As of today the only legitimate place to play Perish Stall Gengar anywhere is on the PS ladder. PO has banned it, Wifi doesn't even have it. Yes players should refrain from saying "I met xyz and it clearly sucks/uber beyond words", but at the same time reporting your overall experience and how you think it handles (it's a car right?) is just as important as theorymoning is concerned.
I'm a 1600s player, and I have trouble using Tyranitar in my teams. Therefore, I think he sucks and he's not OU material, but UU. Now, will my experiences hold any water against theorymoning Tyranitar?

Imo if we're taking experiences into consideration, then we should only take an expert's. However, there is no way to handle this without causing drama and going offtopic, so imo we should just count out personal playing experience unless its from someone that everybody else respects and has already proven something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)