Grades

Sophomore year High School Q1

AP Government = C...well it IS Advanced Placement.
Wind Ensemble = A
French 3H = A-
Percussion = A
English 10 GT = B (would be A if teacher didn't grade papers like a Nazi)
Chemistry GT = B (see above, only with tests)
Precalc GT = C: I suck at math lol

thats about a 3.1 GPA, compared to my 3.5-3.7 last year. Yikes, my two college level classes are owning me.

Good to see Smogon is full of smart people, though.

This brings up an interesting topic that most of us pokemon players seem to have an average GPA around 3.5 or so. So does pokemon make you smarter or are smart people attracted to pokemon? I remember that back in the days of Red and Blue that pokemon helped me learn some vocabulary.
Well, one reason is probably that if your grades were bad, you might not feel like sharing it with the internet.

We don't have a system like that in Sweden, but I got good grades last year (no mid-term grades). All MVGs except in Music (50p class) where I got a VG.
Some classes are worth more than others, because they're longer.

Well, one reason is probably that if your grades were bad, you might not feel like sharing it with the internet.

We don't have a system like that in Sweden, but I got good grades last year (no mid-term grades). All MVGs except in Music (50p class) where I got a VG.
Some classes are worth more than others, because they're longer.
yea agreed, but what is a 3.5 GPA the equivalent of on a scale of 1-100?
85, 90?

None of my grades have been officially released yet, so I'm going to estimate based on some marked midterms and significant homework assignments, but I don't reckon there will be much error.

Math 180 (Differential Calculus with Physical Applications) - 55%
Econ 101 (Microeconomics) - 55%
Chem 121 (Structural Chemistry with Application to Chemistry of the Elements...whatever that means) - 65%
Phys 101 (Energy and Waves) - 60%
AGSC 100 (Introduction to Land, Food, and Community) - 79%

Advice to current year-twelve students: TAKE CALCULUS IN HIGH SCHOOL. If you're an ordinary student with more interest in having a good time and meeting new people, no extreme zeal for school or academic talent, and the mentality that you just want to scrape through the year with a passing grade without trying too hard, take Calculus in highschool. At least at UBC, first-year students are required to enrol in Differential Calculus and Integral Calculus regardless of whether or not you've taken Calculus before. They make a special Calculus class - Math 180 and 184 - for those who haven't, but it goes at the same pace and teaches the same material as all the ordinary Calculus courses. I've been at the brink of tears endeavouring to learn Calculus in the university environment.

AGSC (acronym for Agricultural Sciences) is pretty much a shit easy writing course designed to weed out the English-deficient pupils. Contrary to what they want you to believe, UBC does not love international students - just their parent's wallets.

Some quick questions: How do you go about converting your grades in percentage to expressing it in the GPA scale and letter grade scale? I remember reading it can vary from school to school, and even programs to programs within school.

Also, how big of a deal are are your grades/GPA? My mentality at the moment is just the scrape by first and second-year uni with barely-passing letter grades, but that will that way of thimking bite me the ass in the future? Is a Bachelor's useless without a aesthetically pleasing GPA to back it up? Will graduate schools (I don't plan on attending, but life is erratic and ultimately "un-plannable") care about my GPA? Will my future employers care?

I know I can get some answers by asking my faculty's advisor, but I figured there are always some "behind-the-scenes" things an uni advisor won't right-out say or even know, whereas you guys will.

Let's see:

Honors Science: 94%
Regular Science: 96.6%
American History: Over 100% (Easiest class ever)
Life Skills: 101.6% Cooking in school is awesome. But sewing isn't.
Honors Language Arts: 95.9%
Spanish 1: 99.2%
Health: 100.8% I missed one point the whole quarter.
Honors Geometry: I think around 98-99% 7&8th grade is in a different school than 9-12, and I take that class with Freshmen.

I need to keep my GPA above 3.75 so I can go to Washington D.C. with National Junior Honor Society!

I got a 4.0 unweighted last year (junior year) (5.0 weighted). I still have a 4.0 unweighted this year (senior year) but I have 1 non-honors class so I can't claim a 5.0 this year. I'd like to go to Stanford or somewhere good but I also want to stay local (southern California) so I don't really know... For getting into medical school, does anyone know how big of a difference the undergrad school makes?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokeguymon:

A+ = 4.33
A = 4.00
A- = 3.66
B+ = 3.33
B = 3.00
B- = 2.66
C+ = 2.33
C = 2.00
C- = 1.00

At least that's how it is in SFU. I'd assume most places are the same. Percentage to Grades is different though. I think in UBC generally 90%+ is an A+ while in SFU it's 95%+. It can also depend by course I think.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
moomoonerd: for medical school, you'll seriously want everything to be perfect. Grades, MCAT, you name it.

Everstone

Now 100% reliable
is a Contributor Alumnus
Pokeguymon: I believe it's dependent on the classes. More often than not the grading will vary from class to class. i.e. in some classes you can get away with a 60%ish and get a C. A C might go even as low as 50% in some cases.

This brings up an interesting topic that most of us pokemon players seem to have an average GPA around 3.5 or so. So does pokemon make you smarter or are smart people attracted to pokemon? I remember that back in the days of Red and Blue that pokemon helped me learn some vocabulary.
Oh I hope you're kidding.
You do realize that:
  • People with low grades tend not to post them in a thread like this one.
  • People are easy about lying on the internet.
Don't underestimate these two facts. Any internetcommunity I've been in so far has had threads like these. And apparently, over 50% of the internet are geniusses!

Holy fuck, my fellow Canadians are so much smarter than I am...(or perhaps I have no motivation since I'm too damn lazy).

I mean, come on, 90 averages? You people are insane! I haven't been able to get a 90 since grade 10, and I see some people with 100s here, and I've never been able to manage that in anything besides Family Studies (yes it was fuckin home ec.). Do you guys just try hard or are you naturally just supercomputers? Perhaps you have been talking with Alakazam...

You guys are up for some pretty fuckin handy scholarships. Just watch, I'll catch up to you guys. :]

By the way, how are you people doing good in ADV Functions? Maybe it's just my teacher since he's a hardass, but I really started the course off on the wrong foot and it's getting really hard to raise my grade. I've seriously found that to be the hardest course in high school to date. Come on tell me your secrets.... -.-
I was pretty much a totally lazy ass before I got into my 1st senior year, where I had to step it up a ton. I work really hard to get the grades I am trying to achieve. :P It's hard sometimes though.

Good luck with uni, I hope to get into one some day for psychiatry. o_o

Blah... posting here because I've been studying my ass off all week for these tests... 4 tests in one week.... College sucks. Worst part is... I think I did well on most of them, despite my lack of sleep, happiness, and social life for the past 2 weeks... ughhh

I'm in the 7 th grade I got

85 in Math
86 in Eng Lit
79in Eng Lang
95 in Geography
95 in Hist/Civics
98 in Physics
90 in CHem
95 in Bio
89 in Bengali
99 in Computrs
94in Enviro Edu.

92% overall ^^

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
By my quick math I was 12 in 7th grade. Meaning you registered on this website when you were 10.

92% average, and not an ounce of common sense.

Anyways, my GPA is probably around a 4. Not quite sure though, my report card for the 1st quarter is not quite out.
Poeple don't usually post their trashy GPAs.

This semester...

AP Physics 92 - Not a hard class just incredibly boring... ugh.

AP Biology 93 - Probably the easiest AP class I have taken. (Never mind Calculus AB was)

AP US History 90 - Teacher grades too hard on essays... AP European history is so much more interesting than this class in my opinion.

Honors American Lit 87 - Same teacher as APUSH, don't think it's possible for me to get an A because it's practically all essays. =_=;

Calculus BC - Haven't started yet; it starts next semester. Yeah my school schedule is weird.

2.68 GPA right now...terrible I know

But I have B/B+ in all my classes but CMSC330: Organization of Programming Languages where I prob have a C- right now.

icepick

she brings the rain
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Wow, some people's schools have weird grading methods. 11th grade Q1 I got:

B World History AP
B English 11 AP
A Calc C AP
A Art 1
A Chem AP
A Stats AP
A Spanish 4 Honors

Only a 3.71, but I can probably pull a 4.0 for the year.

By my quick math I was 12 in 7th grade. Meaning you registered on this website when you were 10.

92% average, and not an ounce of common sense.
Intelligence usually means that the person lacks something else. We have a couple of near-geniuses in my school but their social skills aren't comparable to even a mule.

I meant to sya when I was in the 7th grade >_> now I'm in 9th and our progress report hasent't even come out yet :(

I got 91% avergae in 8th grade though so I'm expecting 90% this year :(

I'm in the 7 th grade I got

85 in Math
86 in Eng Lit
79in Eng Lang
95 in Geography
95 in Hist/Civics
98 in Physics
90 in CHem
95 in Bio
89 in Bengali
99 in Computrs
94in Enviro Edu.

92% overall ^^
woah... you got the same grades as me exept im in 9th grade and i have 96 in math ^^

I'm more of a U.S. History person, obtaining a honorary mention for "Best Conventional Speech". Yeah, I'm a pretty neat public speaker.

Now, Math...XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)