Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough.
Another question: is it possible to recover purged/deleted threads on Smogon?
I used to have a thread in the Wi-Fi forums (I'm talking 5 years ago) but it seems to have been deleted. Is there a back-up anywhere?
Since its from pre-xenforo there is a chance it isn't here, since a lot of stuff just got wiped away during the forum software switch in 2013. However usually deleted posts / threads are visible to mods that moderate that forum, so you could ask a wifi mod to check I guess.

I'm interested in making a thread along the lines of "if you could have one Pokemon irl, what would it be?". Would orange islands be the right place to put this thread (I don't think it is) or would it go into congregation of the masses or whatever? Also, sorry if this has already been made. Thanks!

I think it is. Not an admin though.

How does Substitute with baton pass work? Is it's HP pool whatever created it and is its defense/typing what ever is currently active?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think it is. Not an admin though.

How does Substitute with baton pass work? Is it's HP pool whatever created it and is its defense/typing what ever is currently active?
Substitute takes its HP value from whatever made the Substitute and retains that value when passed, but the typing is based off of whatever Mon is active with it.

For example, if something with 404 HP makes a Sub, the Sub will have 101 HP when passed until it's damaged (even if passed to Shedinja).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm interested in making a thread along the lines of "if you could have one Pokemon irl, what would it be?". Would orange islands be the right place to put this thread (I don't think it is) or would it go into congregation of the masses or whatever? Also, sorry if this has already been made. Thanks!
I'm not sure myself, actually. I think I recall a thread like this earlier, but it might have been before the founding of Orange Islands. OI is primarily a game discussion forum, though, so I think the thread would suit Cong better.

Generalized question: If an item exists that works like Assault Vest except increasing defense instead of special defense, should I boost the lesser or the greater of the recipient's defense?

Generalized question: If an item exists that works like Assault Vest except increasing defense instead of special defense, should I boost the lesser or the greater of the recipient's defense?
It depends on the Pokemon. Something like Blissey (not that you'd Assault Vest it), boost Defense. Conkeldurr on the other hand, you boost the item-assisted stat. It really depends on team and Pokemon.

Not sure if there is a section on this forum to ask but figured id post here and see if anyone could help / Point me in the right direction.

My friends have gotten me to buy pokemon omega ruby because there is a local battle event that happens near us each week where a bunch of us meet up and have battle tournaments for prize - Trade etc... Usual nerdy stuff :D. Now problem i'm having is getting a team put together to compete with. Now the only real rule they have is no legendaries because they wanna keep things easy for the new players like myself. Now from what i have seen i have taken quite a liking to the sand teams with the two core of either - Hippowdon or tyranitar with excadrill. All i'm looking for is a patient person who could possible spend a little time with me giving me a quick hand on setting a team they think i'd be able to play.

So a sand team with the core of Hippowdon or Tyrantiar with exaadrill that doesn't involve legendaries. If you want to pop me a PM to introduce yourself we can take things from there. Thank you in advance to anyone who is happy to help me out and Sorry in advance if this is the incorrect place to post this kind of message. Thank you.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Quite random, but:

What do you guys think could be, or could have been done to make Typhlosion competitively viable? It's one of my favorite Pokemon but practically useless. :/

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Quite random, but:

What do you guys think could be, or could have been done to make Typhlosion competitively viable? It's one of my favorite Pokemon but practically useless. :/
Well, we don't talk much about "what could have been" here on Smogon. Too much wishlisting, too little substance. The obvious answer to your question is "a good new ability or a Mega", which I believe is what has always happened to crapmons that suddenly turned good (apart from a few select cases of poor movepools that were fixed). But anything beyond that generic description would be speculation or wishlisting, which is in conflict with the forum rules. Also, OI is not the place for competitive talk. We have literally the entire rest of the forum for that.

Well, we don't talk much about "what could have been" here on Smogon. Too much wishlisting, too little substance. The obvious answer to your question is "a good new ability or a Mega", which I believe is what has always happened to crapmons that suddenly turned good (apart from a few select cases of poor movepools that were fixed). But anything beyond that generic description would be speculation or wishlisting, which is in conflict with the forum rules. Also, OI is not the place for competitive talk. We have literally the entire rest of the forum for that.
Thanks for the answer anyway. I tried asking the question in OU competitive discussion but I got told that wasn't the place either. I usually just stick to the Wifi trade forum, don't know my way around Smogon anywhere else, lol.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the answer anyway. I tried asking the question in OU competitive discussion but I got told that wasn't the place either. I usually just stick to the Wifi trade forum, don't know my way around Smogon anywhere else, lol.
If you want to see Typhlosion at its best (and in an OI approved way too), know that it's a beast in Battle Maison Super Triples! Makes a wonderful spread attacker, doesn't use your mega slot, and is best friends with Maison staple Talonflame, which after a first turn Tailwind can boost Typhlosion's Eruption further with BOTH Sunny Day and Flare Blitz (by triggering Flash Fire). At least one team got to 800 consecutive wins with it, and I'm confident that it's capable of quite a bit more. Take a look at our Maison thread here if you're interested!

It depends on the Pokemon. Something like Blissey (not that you'd Assault Vest it), boost Defense. Conkeldurr on the other hand, you boost the item-assisted stat. It really depends on team and Pokemon.
What I meant was that the game has both "Assault Vest" and a counterpart that boost physical defense instead. So, on "Pokemon" with uneven defense (say, 100/65/120, or less extremely 90/100/120), should I equip the item that boost the lower defense, or the higher defense?

What I meant was that the game has both "Assault Vest" and a counterpart that boost physical defense instead. So, on "Pokemon" with uneven defense (say, 100/65/120, or less extremely 90/100/120), should I equip the item that boost the lower defense, or the higher defense?
I already answered that. It depends on the Pokemon. Let me reword my example. Conkeldurr is trained in SpD and is usually given the Assault Vest, the stronger of its defenses. But another Pokemon might be physically defensive and still use the Assault Vest.

I already answered that. It depends on the Pokemon. Let me reword my example. Conkeldurr is trained in SpD and is usually given the Assault Vest, the stronger of its defenses. But another Pokemon might be physically defensive and still use the Assault Vest.
Minor nitpick - Conkeldurr has base 95 Defense but only base 65 Special Defense. Since it can naturally take physical hits well already, it's trained in SDef and given the Assault Vest to bolster its ability to tank Special attacks.

Minor nitpick - Conkeldurr has base 95 Defense but only base 65 Special Defense. Since it can naturally take physical hits well already, it's trained in SDef and given the Assault Vest to bolster its ability to tank Special attacks.
Which after the training IS its stronger defense. :v

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)