Hidden Type

I'm currently ranked number two, with the account Alljokesaside. You can ask for proof of my number one peak or you can take my word for it an take a look at the ladder. What I was trying to get across is that bug type is not something you'd want to use, it's something that you'd post on "Don't use this that, use this instead" It has it's niches, as resisting fighting(But you can run poison there as well, since it's not weak to Fighting and is immune to toxic) but all types has it's niches, it goes that way with all pokemon on the ladder, there are very few typings who are purely negative.

• Flying - Chansey is now immune to ground and resist fighting, sure it's alright but it also gaines stealth rock weakness so It's totally a possibility, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because of the SR weakness, Landorus-I will for example "HKO Chansey if it was at 75%. It is immune to spikes though
  • Water - Chansey doesn't really gain anything from water type, though water type in general isn't a bad defensive typing. Grass and electric are both mainly special attacking typings. A fire resist is also nifty in this metagame. It loses to Manaphy now
  • Grass - Grass is okay, I guess. It's immune to spore and leech seed, which is nice. But it gains a ton of weaknesses, not that they really matter since Chansey is super bulky, but stacking the damage with all those weaknesses isn't particularly helpful
  • Fire - Wow, don't use this. Stealth rock weakness, neutral to spikes. Fire is a great offensive typing, not as good of a defensive typing. It loses to Manaphy now
  • Dark - It now resist knock off, which shouldn't be an argument as you should never stay in on a knock off regardless. It's now 4x weak to fighting as well.
252 Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 520-616 (73.8 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • Dragon - Why though? It doesn't gain anything from this, except a couple of mainly special based resistances. It's also weak to dragon, Dragonite, and fairy, Altaria.
  • Steel - Steel is good as a defensive typing on everything. It now has a boatload of resistances and a stealth rock weakness. However... It's now weak to Fighting... Fire... Ground! But yes, Steel is a viable option
  • Psychic - Now weak to knock off, but that's not an argument. Psychic is meh... It doesn't gain anything and it doesn't lose anything in particular, it's neutral to fighting.
  • Ground - Eh, same thing with many of these typings. It resists Stealth, yeah, but thats basically where the list ends
  • Poison - again, I mentioned this. It resists fighting without being weak to SR and having a handful of resistances plus it's immune to toxic, which is neat.
  • Ghost - Here you have it the best typing for this pokemon. It's immune to fighting and resists stealth rock, while at the same time being immune to ghost leaving it with one weakness, dark.
Anything I forgot?

I think my score was like 53-15
Thing you forgot:

Any type other than Ghost has the advantage that the opponent is probably assuming Ghost and will make decisions (mistakes) under this basis.

It's also worth commentary that Psychic provides Psyshock resistance, which is legitimately useful. It's debatable whether it's worth missing out on immunity to Death Pony's Secret Sword, but more things can carry Psyshock than Secret Sword so it's worth commentary, especially since unlike the other protections against Psychic it doesn't produce a double Fighting weakness. Actually, this is honestly the first Pokemon I can see running Psychic add, because Psyshock resistance is really relevant to Chansey.

You also didn't cover Fighting, though to be fair the main thing in its favor is "Stealth Rock resistance", and unless you have a specific reason to not want to run Ground then Ground will usually be the superior choice if you want Stealth Rock resistance for some reason. (The nicest other thing I can say about Fighting is that it's a Dark resistance that is A: possible and B: not producing a double Fighting weakness)

Also, you bizarrely claim that Ghost provides Stealth Rock resistance. No.

There is no Hidden Power Fairy.

Also, I deleted a few posts because they were uncivil or off topic. From a neutral point of view, Jernmax, you don't seem all that knowledgeable or experienced in the art of competitive battling. You claimed to have reached number one on the ladder (in a post I deleted) but anyone could have been number one when the ladder was not populated. What are you ranked now is the real question. If you want to answer that, you can post on my profile instead of here.
There seems to be a bug where deleting posts causes the "watch thread" function to stop. Is this already a known thing?

Thing you forgot:

Any type other than Ghost has the advantage that the opponent is probably assuming Ghost and will make decisions (mistakes) under this basis.

It's also worth commentary that Psychic provides Psyshock resistance, which is legitimately useful. It's debatable whether it's worth missing out on immunity to Death Pony's Secret Sword, but more things can carry Psyshock than Secret Sword so it's worth commentary, especially since unlike the other protections against Psychic it doesn't produce a double Fighting weakness. Actually, this is honestly the first Pokemon I can see running Psychic add, because Psyshock resistance is really relevant to Chansey.

You also didn't cover Fighting, though to be fair the main thing in its favor is "Stealth Rock resistance", and unless you have a specific reason to not want to run Ground then Ground will usually be the superior choice if you want Stealth Rock resistance for some reason. (The nicest other thing I can say about Fighting is that it's a Dark resistance that is A: possible and B: not producing a double Fighting weakness)

Also, you bizarrely claim that Ghost provides Stealth Rock resistance. No.

There seems to be a bug where deleting posts causes the "watch thread" function to stop. Is this already a known thing?
Use psychic, fighting or ghost. As long as you stay in on my Knock off

I'd like to try and bring up 2 niche mons in the meta, that I think are worthy of B rank. Those two moms are Dragon Gyarados and Shedinja.

I'd like to say I was the first to think of dragon Gyarados when it was first OMotM, but that's probably not true. Anyhow, the first thing that comes to mind with dragon is ridiculously powerful outrages once set up with a dd or 2. It has 40 BP over waterfall and 20 BP over EQ. The influx of steel typed doesn't really bother Gyarados too incredibly much, as water provides nice neutral coverage alongside it. For a comparison to ground Gyarados, the elec weakness remains instead of being an immunity, the ice weakness remains on both types, but dragon resists water and grass instead of being neutral/weak to it, respectively, trading off a fairy and dragon weakness. Slight downsides there. Ground is still generally better, but it's something to consider, I think.

I myself haven't dabbled with Shedinja, but those who followed the minitour should know a bit about it. The fact that it can be weak to a different set of types depending on what is added is bound to create major mindgames, provided hazards are kept off the field.

Also, I'd think both grass and flytran should be put in the same rank. Both have developed enough to the point where grass doesn't just have a niche over flying and is otherwise inferior.

I'd like to try and bring up 2 niche mons in the meta, that I think are worthy of B rank. Those two moms are Dragon Gyarados and Shedinja.

I'd like to say I was the first to think of dragon Gyarados when it was first OMotM, but that's probably not true. Anyhow, the first thing that comes to mind with dragon is ridiculously powerful outrages once set up with a dd or 2. It has 40 BP over waterfall and 20 BP over EQ. The influx of steel typed doesn't really bother Gyarados too incredibly much, as water provides nice neutral coverage alongside it. For a comparison to ground Gyarados, the elec weakness remains instead of being an immunity, the ice weakness remains on both types, but dragon resists water and grass instead of being neutral/weak to it, respectively, trading off a fairy and dragon weakness. Slight downsides there. Ground is still generally better, but it's something to consider, I think.

I myself haven't dabbled with Shedinja, but those who followed the minitour should know a bit about it. The fact that it can be weak to a different set of types depending on what is added is bound to create major mindgames, provided hazards are kept off the field.

Also, I'd think both grass and flytran should be put in the same rank. Both have developed enough to the point where grass doesn't just have a niche over flying and is otherwise inferior.
Dragon isn't a great offensive typing in this metagame, for coverage at least. There are way to many steel and fairy types running ramped just to check Dragonite. You'd be better off running Ground, for obvious reasons. Only really good offensive Dragon is Altaria & Dragonite, of the top of my head.

I don't know about Shedinja, it's very unpredictable, but I'm not educated on Shedinja in HT

Another niche thing which I've actually vsed a couple times now is Water Dragonite.
Obviously Steel Dragonite generally outclasses it but is has been a solid pokemon on a couple of HO teams I've bumped into thanks to its double priority in Extreme Speed STAB Aqua Jet.
Maybe B-?

Also I keep seeing these LO Magic Guard Fire Clefables with STAB Fire Blast. I honestly don't see the attraction because even max invested its pretty weak. Am I missing something because I've seen like 4 different people using it. I guess its coverage is decent between Moonblast, Fire blast and Ice beam with Soft Boiled or CM to fill. Maybe somewhere in the Cs?

There's no connection between being ranked high on the ladder and being sensible.

The "Get Rekt" GIF was uncalled for. Or even if not, it was clearly personal. This thread is not to vent out personal anger.

Take it to the PMs if you're that serious about it. And I think that's exactly what TI is trying to tell you: behave.

Gengar with levitate will be a good offender. I think there is no weakness for it(correct me If I was wrong).
1st. Welcome to Smogon :D.

2nd. Yeah Gengar is still really strong in this meta, particularly with Dark typing as I believe it has no weaknesses. Also Dark Pulse is sometimes a more reliable STAB than Shadow Ball as nothing is immune to it. Probably A or A-

Hey guys, I'm new to this meta and i want to try it out, but I don't know of any good teams or anything.
Could someone list some sample sets or even some sample teams? Would appreciate :3

There's no connection between being ranked high on the ladder and being sensible.

The "Get Rekt" GIF was uncalled for. Or even if not, it was clearly personal. This thread is not to vent out personal anger.

Take it to the PMs if you're that serious about it. And I think that's exactly what TI is trying to tell you: behave.
I beg to differ. I obviously know more of the metagame by playing around 70 matches, and winning a huge majority of them, than someone who's barely played the metagame at all. When it comes to Get Rekt, I stand by it. You were all poking fun of me before hand, don't deny it, and that's fine. But then I feel entitled to poke fun back. I didn't continue doing so, your complaining is kind of behind, as that was almost a day ago anyways. So yeah, deal with it.

Moldy ground exists in this meta, js
True, mold ground is okay in the metagame. But more pokemon add flying type than levitate, so Gravity Landorus I would be better. Kyurem-B is also a thing.

Gengar with levitate will be a good offender. I think there is no weakness for it(correct me If I was wrong).
Same thing as Isa Simple said, but Shadow ball is also an option as it gives you unresisted coverage.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Also I keep seeing these LO Magic Guard Fire Clefables with STAB Fire Blast. I honestly don't see the attraction because even max invested its pretty weak. Am I missing something because I've seen like 4 different people using it. I guess its coverage is decent between Moonblast, Fire blast and Ice beam with Soft Boiled or CM to fill. Maybe somewhere in the Cs?
It runs a standard CM set, just like it does in OU, that can be pretty good with magic guard. Not saying anything too much since I haven't used it, but it seems solid.

It runs a standard CM set, just like it does in OU, that can be pretty good with magic guard. Not saying anything too much since I haven't used it, but it seems solid.
Yeah that's what I initially thought. But there are just too many opposing set up sweepers in this meta that easily win boosting wars when Clef is using MG over Unaware. It isn't bad, its just so much harder to get the ball rolling with a plethora of Dragon Dancers, Manaphy and Volcarona setting up alongside you.

I haven't played this meta, but what do you guys think of ghost Mega Lopunny? Due to all the extra ghost typings added to Pokemon, a scrappy high jump kick is sure to kill most of these Pokemon, and the extra ghost typing makes you immune to fighting moves, and the neutrality to dark isn't that bad.

I haven't played this meta, but what do you guys think of ghost Mega Lopunny? Due to all the extra ghost typings added to Pokemon, a scrappy high jump kick is sure to kill most of these Pokemon, and the extra ghost typing makes you immune to fighting moves, and the neutrality to dark isn't that bad.
Mega Lopunny is quite the hype, not only threatening Ghost Chansey and Tyranitar, but threatening a lot of walls with its high Attack and high BP STABs, which are very hard to wall given its coverage options and Scrappy.

Use psychic, fighting or ghost. As long as you stay in on my Knock off
Not seeing relevancy.

Dragon Gyarados seems mostly useful as a way to surprise/murder Tail Glow Manaphy, which normally expects Gyarados to be screwed in the face of it/vulnerable to STAB Energy Ball. Given Grass Manaphy is S rank, that certainly deserves some kind of rank. For that matter, it also has superior performance against Dragonite if it isn't killed by Dragon Claw first. So sure maybe some kind of B rank. Seems kinda meh outside of those uses though, and in particular walled badly by the myriad important Fairies.

And yeah Shedinja needs a ranking. Dunno where though.

Another niche thing which I've actually vsed a couple times now is Water Dragonite.
Obviously Steel Dragonite generally outclasses it but is has been a solid pokemon on a couple of HO teams I've bumped into thanks to its double priority in Extreme Speed STAB Aqua Jet.
Maybe B-?

Fire Clefable is a nasty surprise to all the random Steel types out there and basically only other Fire types (Which are rare/non-rare ones often add a type vulnerable to Fire or Fairy) actually wall it reliably. (Also Heatran, which is by far the biggest argument against Fire Clefable) I ran it for a while and it was quite effective at, among other things, actually killing Steel Dragonite (Except when Flinches occurred), its hazard immunity was useful (And hid its typing from the enemy), and it could sponge attacks, Burns, and Toxics fairly well in general.

I dropped it basically because Heatran exists, honestly. If it weren't for 4MSS (Moon Blast/Fire move/Calm Mind/Softboiled or Moonlight, out of room) I'd have just added Thunderbolt and kept it in, but alas.

I have no experience with Water Dragonite.

I beg to differ. I obviously know more of the metagame by playing around 70 matches, and winning a huge majority of them, than someone who's barely played the metagame at all. When it comes to Get Rekt, I stand by it. You were all poking fun of me before hand, don't deny it, and that's fine. But then I feel entitled to poke fun back. I didn't continue doing so, your complaining is kind of behind, as that was almost a day ago anyways. So yeah, deal with it.
I wasn't "poking fun" at you, I was pointing out bizarre flaws in your logic. I'm not big on the humor thing. I'm pretty sure Throbulator wasn't "poking fun" at you either -the fact that you think Bug Chansey is so ridiculous that any discussion must be a joke is on you, not on other people. Nor is "get rekt" even slightly in the vein of "poking fun" at other people, so even if I accept this premise ("It's all in good fun") you still are not justified in your response.

It's ridiculous to assert that other people have "barely played at all" off of zero basis. Even if I accept that numbers of matches=authority on this topic, I (And DinaIsha, and Pikachuun, and...) played Hidden Type when it was OMotM the first time, whereas your account on Smogon is newer than that -it's a reasonable guess that you didn't play Hidden Type the first time around. Heck, your first OMs post is in "Hidden OU", which drew a lot of people who never gave a thought to OMs to it, so I can even reasonably guess that you only very recently started playing OMs at all. This is of course all conjecture, but it's conjecture with a far better basis than you just blithely assuming other people have "barely played at all" because...?

You have repeatedly made very basic, bizarre mistakes in your posts (Ghost provides Stealth Rock resistance, no) and relied solely on "But ladder rank/win rate" to back your opinions. I couldn't care less how high your rank is if you are incapable of providing reasoning better than "I have a high rank and win rate" while actively making mistakes that show you are not, in fact, as hot shit as you think you are. It'd be one thing if you were being a condescending, arrogant prick while having ironclad logic, but the errors in your posts have been astounding.

It makes it very difficult to take you seriously.

Yeah that's what I initially thought. But there are just too many opposing set up sweepers in this meta that easily win boosting wars when Clef is using MG over Unaware. It isn't bad, its just so much harder to get the ball rolling with a plethora of Dragon Dancers, Manaphy and Volcarona setting up alongside you.
You don't have Clefable setup on setuppers, you have it setup on a wall that can't do jack to it. Done properly, with the most egregious threats out of the way, and Magic Guard Fire Clefable can be astoundingly murderous, and impossible to wear down with Toxic, which is one of the big draws of Magic Guard Clefable.

At this point I'd probably sooner argue for Psychic Stored Power+Cosmic Power Unaware Clefable, though. You'd need to wipe out the enemy's Toxic users and non-Dragon Tail force-switchers first, but it's really really really hard to stop it by just hitting it a lot.

Well, that about kills Pangoro's niche. At least it doesn't use a Mega slot...

Now that Mega Metagross escaped the banhammer, I'm planning on using it. How good is it? What's the best additional type for it?
Dark is good, trades Ghost and Dark weakness for bug and fighting. It also gains Stab Tough Claws Pursuit, with is nice. Flying is also good for obvious reasons, other than that I'm not sure.

I'll make a list on what I've seen on the ladder, what I've used myself and what I think is viable/useful
S rank
  • 647.png I've only seen Keldeo with ground, mainly because Keldo doesn't see a lot of usage in Hidden type. But Ground is nice and all, though it's Quad weak to Grass Knot. It checks Thundurus which is nice
  • p4uPcqX.png Metagross uses mainly Flying and Dark, as they directly benefit him instead of adding Stab coverage moves. Dark for Stab Pursuit and Neutral to Dark and ghost, while flying means you're immune to Ground and can nicely check Dragonite if it lacks Fire punch
  • 0vrs5qm.png I guess Sableye runs Steel and Poison, I haven't seen a lot of discussion about him on the forum which would be nice. I've only seen Steel and Poison since they give him a handful of resistances

A rank
  • 184.png Azumarill runs steel, fighting or dark from what I've seen. Steel gives it more resistances, mainly to steel, poison and grass. Fighting and Dark is mostly for Stab Coverage, Superpower and Knock off
  • elvqhTa.png S rank IMO, Altaria runs Fire and Steel. They're both equally good and it all depends on your playstyle. If you're running more offensively you can run Fire giving it Stab Fire blast and Will O Wisp immunity. Steel is also nice as it gives it a stealth rock resist and more resistances I think.
  • 625.png Bisharp runs mainly ground and ghost, which makes Bisharp a serious threat in this metagame as there's is really no way to know what it's running. Be very careful when facing Bisharp, as locking yourself into a fighting or ground move can mean it's gg
  • 006-mx.png There has been some discussion about this on the forums, it mainly runs Dark and Ground for stab earthquake and stab Crunch. But since the metagame is so full of Ground moves it's not A+ Material as it is in OU
  • 036.png Clefable is deadly and unpredictable. It runs Steel and Fire typing, MG runs fire for Stab Fire blast while Unaware run steel to check a ton of the set up sweepers. Definitely good in this metagame.
  • 094.png Gengar is great in this metagame. It has no weakness with Ghost, Dark and Poison. It's incredible deadly with unresisted coverage(I think?) and a huge move pool. I'd just advice everyone to run Dark on it, as it's so amazing. S rank imo
  • WHn0uhM.png Steel, fire and flying is what I've seen. Ground could also be nice but I haven't seen it in action.
I'll add more if I have time

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)