Hilarious NPC Quotes

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
They wouldn't happen to be Mysterious Sisters Scall & Ion, would they?

Either little sis is just embarrassed about her need of training being loudly announced and we just have our heads in the gutters, or this is a major yikes.

In any case, Sea Mauville is a pretty spooky place, as is its RSE counterpart to a lesser extent. It makes some sense for a Hex Maniac and her Fairy Tale Girl sister to be chilling there, though that doesn't explain Young Couple Lois & Hal (Kira & Dan in Emerald).

Unless...
No it's a completely different set of NPCs with the "Teammates" trainer class models. You don't even battle them

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Here's how its presented in-game:

Them using the Teammates (plus the dialogue) is implication enough. What they were originally called in Gen III, Sr. and Jr., was actually closer to the original Japanese name of the Trainer Class. In Japan the Trainer class is called Senpai and Kohai, which translates in English as "upperclassman & underclassman". In Japanese schools some senior students may take an underclassmate under their wing, sort of being a mentor figure to them. BTW the practice isn't gender specific, though the two members are the same gender. While in real life it's just a mentorship thing, in plenty of yoai and yuri material taking place in a school setting this is a popular pairing method for the leads. :P

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
This isn't so much a quote as it is a funny NPC expression

Right before fighting Olivia in SM, Burnett and Lillie come over with the latter staying to watch the battle. Burnett ends up leaving to go watch an upcoming Masked Royale fight, vocally wondering "who's under that mask?" before leaving. She seems to have a neutral expression while walking off, but if you pay close attention right before she leaves the screen that turns into a blushing smile! Tiny visual gags like that make my bones rattle humorously.

Archie's first quote at Mt. Chimney in Omega Ruby is my new favorite Pokemon quote:
"Get out of my blasted way, ye scurvy Team Magma knaves! Or face a keelhauling!"

While not funny, Archie and Maxie both have great quotes at the end of ORAS, depending on which one isn't the antagonist.

ORAS_Archie_Icon.png

"Someday we adults are gonna have to hand this world off to this little scamp and the rest of their generation. But what kinda world are we adults gonna make? What kinda world do we wanna pass to these kids?"

ORAS_Maxie_Icon.png

"We adults have a duty to pass this world along to the next generation. A world worth passing along."

Making sure the world is in a good state for our posterity is about the best reason for environmentalism that I can think of.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Ok there's no way to really phrase this without getting a few chuckles at my expense so not gonna sugarcoat it

Me and a friend were having a discussion earlier today and at one point ORAS Courtney was brought up. He pulled up some article (I think TVTropes) which mentioned how her very... "interesting" dialogue was apparently far more blatantly sexual in the original Japanese translation. Can anyone confirm or deny this with the "highlights"?

Ok there's no way to really phrase this without getting a few chuckles at my expense so not gonna sugarcoat it

Me and a friend were having a discussion earlier today and at one point ORAS Courtney was brought up. He pulled up some article (I think TVTropes) which mentioned how her very... "interesting" dialogue was apparently far more blatantly sexual in the original Japanese translation. Can anyone confirm or deny this with the "highlights"?
Screenshot_2020-05-03-07-31-18-1.png

Well that was an interesting find...

Makes me a bit happier that I ended up getting AS instead of OR.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well that was an interesting find...

Makes me a bit happier that I ended up getting AS instead of OR.
That's her English dialogue, they're talking about her Japanese.

Though her English dialogue does sound suggestive, at the same time it sounds more obsessive than sexual. Though looking at the script, if there was any dialogue which may be where the most sexual sounding stuff would be, it would probably be the Magma Hideout before you battle her. Notably her comment about a drill walloping a wall & her broken thoughts of obsession of wanting to battle you. That sounds like prime times where in the Japanese version she would have said something a bit more risque.

But yeah, while Matt has his "Oh"s verbal tick, at the very least after that he talks in full sentences even if he talks like a dude bro.

Battle tower postman trainer:

"Postal delivery! I've got a parcel here with your name on it. Oh, look. The contents say "defeat." "

(I wish there were an easy way to just email screenshots to yourself instead of the switch trying to force you to upload to fb or twitter. But there's not, so you get text instead of screenshot)

You know how many games feature Game Freak employees working in an office somewhere? Well, if you show Morimoto's Sun and Moon incarnation a Tauros that came from the Game Boy virtual console, he has this to say:
Tauros used to be real strong, huh? I was the one who thought up that one. But Blizzard was a bit too strong, eh?

Honestly, almost all of his dialogue for different Pokemon is a total mindfuck when you think about it from an in-universe perspective. Especially these three:
You know Mankey, right? I'm actually the one who came up with it! The boss told me to make a Pokémon with a bit of this and a bit of that, and that's what I drew! I'm pretty fond of it myself!
You know Diglett, right? It's actually basically just a character that I had made up when I was a little kid. I even drew up a flip-book featuring it then!
You know Mew, right? I made it. Everything about it. The pixel art, its cry, its Pokédex entry, everything. I just barely finished in time, too! It was right at the very end of the game's development!
"You know that Pokemon you're holding right now? That living creature that you can clearly see is flesh and blood? It's a fictional character that I made up. Oh, and that other Pokemon you're holding? The ancient being of myth that is thought to be the ancestor of all Pokemon? I singlehandedly created everything about it, and I threw it in at the last minute. What's that? "The last minute of what?" Why, creating the Kanto region! We here at Game Freak brought the Kanto region into existence some 20 years ago for a video game. Why are you curled up on the floor and whimpering?"

You know how many games feature Game Freak employees working in an office somewhere? Well, if you show Morimoto's Sun and Moon incarnation a Tauros that came from the Game Boy virtual console, he has this to say:

Honestly, almost all of his dialogue for different Pokemon is a total mindfuck when you think about it from an in-universe perspective. Especially these three:

"You know that Pokemon you're holding right now? That living creature that you can clearly see is flesh and blood? It's a fictional character that I made up. Oh, and that other Pokemon you're holding? The ancient being of myth that is thought to be the ancestor of all Pokemon? I singlehandedly created everything about it, and I threw it in at the last minute. What's that? "The last minute of what?" Why, creating the Kanto region! We here at Game Freak brought the Kanto region into existence some 20 years ago for a video game. Why are you curled up on the floor and whimpering?"
Gen 9 Morimoto: "I AM YOUR TRUE GOD, ARCEUS IS MY CREATION"

Anyways, one of my favorite quotes is the Serena burn on Team Flare. "Did you have to take a part-time job at the Poke Ball Factory to afford that ugly suit?" Burn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)