Homework Help Thread

God knows we all have a lot of time on our hands. But its often wasted i know it is in my case. I also know that the people of smogon have above average intellects and are itching to proudly display their knowledge.
The idea is to simply allow people to show off their knowledge but also help others as im sure many of us would love to do. Sometimes the internet cant provide all the answers but a human can.

However it is crucial that people do not abuse this thread and mislead the people who need the help. Other than that i hope this will be a fun way to get a bit of help when trying to do some homework and will spark a lot of intellectual discussion.

Just PM me if this is innapropriate mods and i'll delete it straight away.

Edit: probably wont be able to as im going to bed.

This thread is fine, as long as it doesn't turn into a "do my homework for me" thread. If you're going to help someone, actually help them. Be a teacher.

Additionally, don't bother asking for help for programming classes, etc., where it is generally expressly forbidden to get help.

I like this thread, so I'll be the first to ask something. Any ideas on staying motivated? I'm a second semester senior and dont do half of what i'm assigned. Though i kinda have to maintain decent grades to not get rejected from colleges. advice?

It is pretty obvious that any motivation has to come from your desire to improve your intellect or to achieve some goal, or perhaps to try to find something that you love to learn otherwise. You are the entire reason for your lack of motivation, and if you do not naturally have a sense of motivation to act, then you need to engage with them until you find one.

Even a fairly superficial goal can really help though, such as "if I can get an A in such and such class, then I will ask this girl out," but that does not address the core problem, which is that you are too lazy to give a shit. Ideally you should stop being lazy!!!

^^^ Take drugs. Caffeine is a decent sub if you don't wanna go with the high end illegal stuff.

(j/k....sorta)

But otherwise, just do what you have always done in the past, just a little less intense. B's are fine; you won't get your acceptance rescinded for a B. A C or lower though is a problem.

Well here is my problem..i just transferred half-way in the year to a magnet school.it has 8 classes instead of 6 and it's harder..i took ap human geography in my other school,pretty easy ap class.A's and B's in mostly everything but they ddint have it in my new school so they gave me ap world history..and now im going crazy, the teacher is super hard and grades essays extremely strictly.He send us to do a DBQ which is like 5 grades and im very worried.Is do next friday after spring brea.. If anybody has experience with DBQ essays please help me..Thanks

That is arbitrary chenman, and not in a way of just trying to bullshit - that is ignorance. A 70 in one class can be worth far more than a 90 in every frivolous class one ever takes. It is about not merely not doing the best one can that he is talking about,but not doing anywhere nearly so.

I like this thread, so I'll be the first to ask something. Any ideas on staying motivated? I'm a second semester senior and dont do half of what i'm assigned. Though i kinda have to maintain decent grades to not get rejected from colleges. advice?
You taking APs? I largely had to keep motivated so I could get good grades on those things in my senior year. I found those end-of-year tests helped in motivating me to one degree or another.

DBQ's...fun fun fun. Since it's a take home (although it shouldn't be), though, it shouldn't be too hard.

I've done them before in AP Euro and AP US. Here's my tips that helped me out:

-Make sure you have 2 statistics somewhere in the essay. They don't have to be exactly true, though you probably should make them true because you have time at home. The stats show that you know what you are doing, and it lulls the overworked teachers into a false sense of security. Before the AP Exams, I memorized 2 stats for each major time period in US history-just 2. Didn't take long, and was well worth it.

-Make sure your thesis is arguable and nuanced. Example:
BAD: The rise of the Nazi Party was caused by poor economic conditions.
GOOD: Poor economic conditions were more influential than revanchist or anti-Semitic sentiment in bringing about the rise of the Nazi Party.

That's the big stuff. Make sure your thesis is good, because in my experience, it determines the fate of your grade.

You taking APs? I largely had to keep motivated so I could get good grades on those things in my senior year. I found those end-of-year tests helped in motivating me to one degree or another.
I'm so unmotivated now that I'm too bored even to play Civilization 4 or Shoddy Battle.

are you fucking kidding me? i made up almost every single one of my "facts" in all of my AP history and english essays and got 5s across the board. as long as you make it sound good the graders will buy nearly anything. if they ask about a specific date you should definitely know your subject matter though, i made shit up mainly for fun because i had already been accepted to the school i wanted to attend. Physics was a bitch though.

are you fucking kidding me? i made up almost every single one of my "facts" in all of my AP history and english essays and got 5s across the board. as long as you make it sound good the graders will buy nearly anything. if they ask about a specific date you should definitely know your subject matter though, i made shit up mainly for fun because i had already been accepted to the school i wanted to attend. Physics was a bitch though.
That's why I said that they didn't have to be true.

The questioner was asking about a take-home essay. I know that DBQ's are supposed to be done in class, but whenever something is taken home, a higher standard of work is required. So it might be worth learning a few stats, if only to forget them later.

But this guy is right. No matter what you do, sound confident. I managed to pull off real crap and still get 5's on Lang and APUSH. But I took Physics C and failed miserably. I blame it on senior year.

Make sure for the AP Euro you use all of them (if you can't use 1 or 2, then that is fine), but if you are taking AP US, then use half plus 1

Can anyone help me so I at least pass Integral Calculus?

I just took a test yesterday, and completely failed it. That is because I have no idea how to memorize integrals of triginometic functions - sin^2, sin ^3, sinxcosx, cos^2, tan^6, sec^7, etc. Any way to memorize them? I still need them for the final, and I will be happy if I get a C+ (4 best of 5 exams, first exam was 57, this one will be a 55 if I'm lucky, I'm doing okay with sequences and series, and the final which counts twice). Please help!

(Note: Most of my problems are either memorization or stupid mistakes - the anti-derivative of 1/(x) is ln(x), I put down 1/(0.5(x^2)) :pirate: )

well for remembering the integral of x^-1 just remember that the integral of f ' (x) / f(x) is ln [modulus of f(x) ] which is an important rule to remember, in general learn the rules instead of the actual integrals like above learn how to integrate by parts and substitution (and probably some other stuff I forget).

I'd like it if anyone could help explain the first three chapters of Gulliver's Travels. We have to do whether it is an effective opening for the novel, and although I think that I understand the rest of the novel quite well, especially part 3 and 4, but I am struggling in the introduction.

Right, I understand that integral of 1/x is ln(x) - thats not a problem.
I sort of understand integration by parts, but thats just as easy to screw up when you get to the cruddy substitutions. And, if I make the wrong one, I screw up even more...

integral of sin x is -cos x - that is understood and remembered. Mainly because the derivatives are understood and remembered.
But sec x and tan x derivatives are difficult (I know that the function derivatives are split next to co-function). And who's a derivative of what.

By the way, what is a modulus?

Right, I understand that integral of 1/x is ln(x) - thats not a problem.
I sort of understand integration by parts, but thats just as easy to screw up when you get to the cruddy substitutions. And, if I make the wrong one, I screw up even more...

integral of sin x is -cos x - that is understood and remembered. Mainly because the derivatives are understood and remembered.
But sec x and tan x derivatives are difficult (I know that the function derivatives are split next to co-function). And who's a derivative of what.

By the way, what is a modulus?
Unless there's anther modulus I don't know about, modulus is a form of division.

The quotient of modulus division is the remainder of integer division.

i.e. 79 mod 3 = 1, 20 mod 2 = 0, etc.
I've never used it outside of programming, and even then I haven't used it much.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
There are quite a few moduluses that you don't know about. The one he meant was absolute value. The reason absolute value (aka "modulus") is involved in this is that the integral of 1/x is log|x|, not log(x).

I have no idea how to memorize integrals of triginometic functions - sin^2, sin ^3, sinxcosx, cos^2, tan^6, sec^7, etc. Any way to memorize them?
Rather than memorising them, just work them out. Memorise these forumulae:

cos(2x) = 2cos(x)^2 - 1
sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x)

and then you can easily derive all of the integrals in your list.

[Edit: fixed typo...]

Alright, so I have a project due today and was wondering if anybody knew some good ways to make the project look good?

When I say this, I mean, how do I make it stick out when compared to the rest?

Can anybody help?

What kind of project? Like a board or a sculpture or what?

In general, easy to read letters that are in a provocative fonts and bright colors work well.

This is probably gonna sound really stupid, but I want to start teaching myself Calculus but I really don't know where to start since I've never taught myself a subject before. I'm pretty good at math and still have all my notes and stuff from Pre-Calc, but other than that, I dunno. Do you guys have any suggestions? Is it even worth it?

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is probably gonna sound really stupid, but I want to start teaching myself Calculus but I really don't know where to start since I've never taught myself a subject before. I'm pretty good at math and still have all my notes and stuff from Pre-Calc, but other than that, I dunno. Do you guys have any suggestions? Is it even worth it?
Go to Border's / Barnes & Noble and go to the Science / Mathematics section. They should have a single variable calculus book there. Also, this is my #1 suggestion do not buy a textbook. Textbooks usually suck at teaching and oversimplify garbage so you don't actually learn anything. That's why I suggest going to a book store, just buy a basic paper-back calc book. They are much better and cheaper! Calculus is very easy to teach yourself (I did it when I was quite young but I'm a nerd so whatever =p).

It's worth it only because if you let a high school teacher instruct you, you probably won't actually understand it because they rarely do.

Edit: College profs are fine to teach it, but I would never trust a high school teacher to teach me any technical subject be it calculus, mechanics, chemistry etc.

Alright, so I need a help with a History Project. I've gotten all the info and pictures, but I still don't know how to make it look good. Like, for instance, I have to glue all the info and pictures on another sheet of paper, which is construction paper, but I don't know how to organize it. I got a B in this class last tri, mianly due to Projects and Presentations, and I'm hoping to end the year with an A.

Anybody?

Alright, so I need a help with a History Project. I've gotten all the info and pictures, but I still don't know how to make it look good. Like, for instance, I have to glue all the info and pictures on another sheet of paper, which is construction paper, but I don't know how to organize it. I got a B in this class last tri, mianly due to Projects and Presentations, and I'm hoping to end the year with an A.

Anybody?
Is the project in a binder? If so, put the project in one of those slick folder protectors if you can, or laminate it with clear sticky paper if you have it. Also, if can draw, teachers like it when you draw/paint your own stuff on your project. And use Rubber cement glue or double sided sticky tape, not elmers glue, if you can. Elmers glue looks...elementary.

You can use your computer to create nice backgrounds and fonts, too. Prettify the construction paper by painting it if you want, but keep it clean and organized. lol art skills come in handy for projects like this. Hope I helped. :/

It's worth it only because if you let a high school teacher instruct you, you probably won't actually understand it because they rarely do.

Edit: College profs are fine to teach it, but I would never trust a high school teacher to teach me any technical subject be it calculus, mechanics, chemistry etc.
There should be community colleges around where they teach Calculus. The classes are quite easy for any semi-assiduous student, and you can audit in the rare event that you are concerned about your grade.

But if you don't want to, that's fine. Up till around Optimization, Calculus is quite easy, and even then it's not overly hard, it just takes a bit of thought beyond the automated math you've been doing thus far.

Make sure you learn to calculate derivatives the hard way.

I mean (f(x)-f(a))/(x-a) or (f(x+h)-f(x))/h

Don't skip ahead to the shortcuts like f(x) = x^n, so f'(x) = nx^n-1 until you have mastered limits and this stuff. The skills you learn early on are valuable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)