Hydreigon

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
The set in question was Sub/Charge Beam/Flamethrower/Dragon Pulse, which is walled by Heatran. I can see how having another mon walled by Heatran isn't good for a sun team though.

I have mentioned it before, but never in this thread. The ONLY way to run a Charge Beam set with Hydreigon in weather is IF it's rain. That way the coverage plays out much better. Now, a non weather possibility is Sub/Charge Beam/Focus Blast/Dpulse BUT you're risking Beam AND Fblast missing quite often and it's just way too high risk to benefit from it. Whereas with the Surf variant, you check so many things, and Surf is 100% accuracy. It's much more probably to pull a sweep off with.

I just wanted to point out that with the new move tutors, Hydreigon will be getting roost and superpower. Superpower is a viable means of dealing with Tyranitar and Blissey, while Roost will give the black dragon a means of reliable recovery, allowing it to run a bulky set or simply to roost off recoil damage.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
I'm gonna try to run some sort of a bulky offense set with Roost/Superpower/D-Meteor/F-Blast or something liek that.

ss234

bop.
Hydreigon is going to be superb with Roost.

Hydreigon-Timid/Modest-4hp, 252att, 252spe-Life Orb
Roost
Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Focus Blast

This set hits everything for at least neutral damage, and does a nice job of generally destroying stuff. Roost means you can use LO. Focus Blast is necessary for Tyranitar, although I suppose Earth Power could work, but won't do as much damage to Tyranitar. Fire Blast could be used, but I generally prefer Flamethrower for the accuracy. The only reason for Superpower is for Blissey and Tyranitar, and it lowers your defence and means you can't pack as much power.

I was reading this thread and I just thought I'd say that I think Earthquake is great on Life Orb Hydreigon. Even with a Modest nature and no Attack investment, Modest LO Hydreigon OHKOs Specially Defensive Heatran 100% of the time, and it can 2HKO's Specially defensive Jirachi. I wouldn't resort to using Earth Power or HP Ground, as Dark Pulse is too good to give up, and HP Ground doesn't OHKO Spedef Heatran and is much less useful against Jirachi. I guess they are options though. It'd be great if it could have Earth Power and Dark Pulse.
he now get earth power with move tutor so he can have earth power and dark pulse,
i would like a set as follows:
Draco meteor
fire blast
earth power
dark pulse

Hydreigon is going to be superb with Roost.

Hydreigon-Timid/Modest-4hp, 252att, 252spe-Life Orb
Roost
Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Focus Blast

This set hits everything for at least neutral damage, and does a nice job of generally destroying stuff. Roost means you can use LO. Focus Blast is necessary for Tyranitar, although I suppose Earth Power could work, but won't do as much damage to Tyranitar. Fire Blast could be used, but I generally prefer Flamethrower for the accuracy. The only reason for Superpower is for Blissey and Tyranitar, and it lowers your defence and means you can't pack as much power.
why not earth power?? focust blast having 70% accuracy has cost me several matches, while earth power is a safe way to hurt everything in combination with fire blast and dark pulse for at least neutral

After some thought, here it is...the ultimate set for hydreigon. There is no Pokemon that can afford to switch into this monster:

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Nature: Naive/Hasty
4 ATK/252 SP. ATK./252 SPD.
Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
Superpower
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Surf/Earth Power/Dark Pulse/Roost/Sub

EVs are self-explanatory: maximum speed and power. If you want superpower to be that much stronger you can shift some EVs into attack if you want.
There's a lot of options for this set and it all comes down to what you most want to destroy. Superpower is the only thing that should be carved in stone - it decimates blissey and tyranitar, who otherwise could wall the Hydra. Draco Meteor has much more obvious power, but Dragon Pulse can be used if you prefer the Hydra to stay in longer. Fire Blast is another obvious choice - roast scizor, forretress, ferrothorn, and other steel types who think they can wall you. You can use flamethrower if you're concerned about accuracy but you might miss out on important OHKO's.
The last moveslot is the toughest. With Dragon STAB, Superpower, and Fire Blast, you can hit anything in the metagame very hard, so the last moveslot is for additional coverage. For instance, Dark Pulse gets STAB and mauls stuff like Jellicent, Reuniclus, Mew, and Celebi. Surf hits hard and can function as pseudo-STAB in the rain. Earth Power can effectively end the threat of Magnezone or Heatran. Roost is there if you want to keep your hydra around longer, and sub can be used if you want to sweep and avoid status.

From the following calcs, it seems that Dark Pulse is a useful move for Hydreigon overall, but what do you think?
Some damage calcs:

Superpower vs. Tyranitar (252/0) - 106.93 - 126.73% - OHKO
Superpower vs. Blissey (252/252) - 59.38 - 70.02% - 2HKO
Fire Blast vs. Scizor (in rain) (248/8) - 115.45 - 136.44% - OHKO
Fire Blast vs. Scizor (in rain) (252/216) - 91.86 - 108.13% - OHKO after stealth rock
Dark Pulse vs. Jellicent (252/220) - 58.41 - 68.81% 2HKO after stealth rock
Dark Pulse vs. Reuniclus (192/0) - 89.15 - 105.18% - 56% chance to OHKO
Superpower vs. Heatran (91/0) - 58.18 - 68.57% 2HKO after stealth rock
Superpower vs. Magnezone (36/0) - 71.72 - 84.82% - 2HKO
Draco Meteor vs. Dragonite (No stealth rock) (0/4) - 89.16 - 105.88% 37.5% chance to OHKO
Draco Meteor vs. Dragonite (No stealth rock) (252/0) - 74.61 - 88.6% - 2HKO
Draco Meteor vs. Dragonite (252/252) - 108.8 - 127.97% - OHKO after Stealth Rock, 2HKO if multiscale is active.
Fire Blast vs. Ferrothorn (rain) (252/168) - 71.59 - 85.22% - 2HKO after stealth rock
Fire Blast vs. Amoongus (252/216) - 65.27 - 77.31% - 2HKO...Draco meteor also 2HKO's in rain
Dark Pulse vs. Slowbro (252/0) - 101.01 - 119.28% - OHKO

with blissey and dragonite they can just softboiled on superpower and roost on draco if there at multiscale.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
As I posted in the ginormous thread in general about changes, subroosttoxic Hydreigon can work. Give it a shot. Good bulk and speed. 8 resistances/immunities. For the attacking move, surf works well on rain teams hitting most steels well. Alternatively, Fire Blast can work well on Sun or Weatherless (I don't recommend this in sand at the moment) to hit all steels but Heatran.

As I posted in the ginormous thread in general about changes, subroosttoxic Hydreigon can work. Give it a shot. Good bulk and speed. 8 resistances/immunities. For the attacking move, surf works well on rain teams hitting most steels well. Alternatively, Fire Blast can work well on Sun or Weatherless (I don't recommend this in sand at the moment) to hit all steels but Heatran.
I was thinking about sub/torment with t-spikes support.. It should induce even more ragequits, just like heatran but with roost

Does Roost even have any applicable uses? It's cool that Hydreigon got it and everything, but it sort of seems like Recover on Mewtwo and Slack Off on Infernape, at least to me. In other words, are there any viable Roost sets?

a defensive set is conceivable, since hydreigon has a vast support movepool at its disposal, including stuff like roar, dragon tail, toxic, roost, tailwind, reflect, taunt, and thunder wave...so if you wanted you could run a bulky status/support set...

Whay stopping you from using a Roost+3 attacks set? Hydreigon has the coverage and the bulk to pull it off. He probably does it better than our other special dragon friend Latios, who doesn't support flamethrower which is pretty big for coverage. HP Fire isn't worth it on Latios: it is weak and drops you one point in a critical speed tier.

Superpower seems to be becoming standard on all these special threats, thank God I am running Chansey who can take them.
literally EVERY post on ANY OU thread is "Good thing people run this cause I run this" or you use a specific example that completely walls it to seem "more correct". WE GET IT, YOU LIKE TO PLAY STALL AND TRY TO BE RIGHT, HERES SOME MORE ATTENTION

I have been trying:

Hydreigon (Mild) @Life Orb
Draco Meteor
Superpower
Roost
U-turn

Obviously this misses out on the fire coverage but it is also one of the few dragons who gets U-turn, a great move when you are spamming two moves which lower your own stats and need to switch a lot. Seems to be a great hole-puncher with the right support.

....well I feel proven wrong. I don't mind at all though, bahaha~ Roost is a cool move.

Since Dangermouse mentioned it, I had the thought of a Dragonite-esque set of Dragon Tail + Twave + Roost + Taunt/Sub/Roar... DNite probably does it better due to Sub, but Hydreigon has Taunt that Nite doesn't, so there's that....

Ames' set looks pretty smart, too. What EVs are you using on that?

Just the standard 252 spA and speed, 4 attack. It always 2 hit KOs Blissey and Heatran as well as specially defensive ferro.

A pseudo-tinkerbell set? I know Hydre doesn't have Celebi's bulk, but paralysis is an amazing status and allows Hydre to heal reliably and outspeed threats that switch in (not that revengers would switch in on a possible Draco Meteor). Nevertheless, I think something like Draco Meteor/Superpower/T-wave/Roost would work with the right EV investments. The immunity to spikes and T-spikes is also a plus as it allows her to switch in repeatedly and being neutral to SR doesn't hurt when you have a reliable recovery move. The lack of natural cure hurts, but an additional immunity is always appreciated. The weakness to fighting moves and U-turn really sucks though.

that is a very interesting wallbreaking set my friend, idk how well it would perform but it is very cool.

The thing is, nobody expects a status move on Hydre, and paralysis is just the type of troll status that catches people off guard and brings another level of hax into games. I've used a tinkerbell Celebi before, and I know just how good it feels to keep using Recover until your opponent hits full paralysis. Toxic is an alternative status, but the switch-ins that Hydre will see will most likely be steel-type, so it is not recommended.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)