International Wi-Fi Tournament - 2012 Spring Friendly - WON BY JIVETIME

Status
Not open for further replies.
MTG uses a similar system for their Arena - 3 points a win, 1 point a loss, players play for X hours, and the most points wins.
I like your magic reference. I happen to be a competitive MTG player as well. But I think the real way to get DC's to stop is change the way their servers work.
Interesting to meet some other competitive MTG players on here lol. I think a system like Planeswalker Points would be a very interesting idea for a wifi event. Make the multiplier x8 or something high and see how high every player can get, no penalties for losing your score only goes up when you win and doesn't decrease upon losing.

In other words, Just jam as many battles as possible for 4 days and try to get the highest point total.

Oh god, I just got haxed out by that Skylark guy that's D/Cing on everyone 9.9 He got a flinch and a critflinch on my Thundurus with Air Slash in the first two turns and basically took it out of the game, and if either flinch hadn't happened I could have easily won. Sometimes I wish that I could lift my no-D/Cing policy for a select few D/Cers...

just played EduCrew? anyone play that person, I wasn't looking when the match was found so idk his location or rating. gg though!

My rating never even broke 1600, and I've had so many people disconnect on me, some of them at the team preview screen. I'm gonna do one more battle, and then call it quits. If I had had more time, had this tournament not coincided with my finals, maybe I'd have done better.

EDIT: And the guy was some noob (Dragonbreath on Altaria? Really?) who D/C'd after KOing his own Gigalith with Samurott's Surf. I'm done with this. I'll post my team momentarily. Ended with a whopping rating of 1505 after 16 battles.

Just wanted to say I agree with a lot of what you guys said on page 82. I've tried not to rage too badly about the rampant DCing but honestly its bad enough when random players do it but when its someone from smogon it feels so much worse. Some have tried to justify their actions by calling "hax" but honestly if the game is programmed to allow it to happen its just bad luck on your part and claiming that someone didn't deserve to win because they got a lucky hit is pretty mean-spirited.

There aren't any prizes for winning or placing high, only bragging rights, and are the bragging rights worth it if you had to cheat to achieve your goal?

Anyhow, my score is considerably low but I can feel good knowing my only DC was an accident before the battle had even started. I won more battles than I lost and I lost with honor (yes, even on some really "hax" battles). So at least I can feel good about my performance as a whole.

--

My Team Evaluation:
Politoed - Drizzle - Lum Berry
Bold - 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.Def
Perish Song
Scald
Ice Beam
Focus Blast
-Focus Blast misses too often to be very useful, may drop in favor of Protect. Perish Song won me a few battles and many rage DC's while cutting down on stall time.

Dragonite - Multiscale - White Herb
Modest - 204 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 52 Speed
Draco Meteor
Thunder
Hurricane
Roost
-Draco Meteor misses when it matters, but the power won me some fights. May exchange for Dragon Pulse. Wish team members as a whole were faster, not winning any speed fights.

Vaporeon - Hydration - Leftovers
Scald
Ice Beam
Rest
Wish
-Wish only came in handy infrequently. Vaporeon took hits very well.

Ferrothorn - Iron Barbs - Rocky Helmet
Relaxed - 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Sp.Def
Leech Seed
Power Whip
Gyro Ball
Protect
-Ferrothorn was an amazing asset to my team, guarded against electric attacks and perfect for easy switch-ins. Protect proved to be a valuable move. Didn't use Leech Seed often but can't think of a better replacement atm. Rocky Helmet seemed to surprise a good number of players and definitely helped bring victories.

Toxicroak - Dry Skin - Life Orb
Adamant - 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Speed
Substitute
Bulk Up
Sucker Punch
Drain Punch
-Sucker Punch proved an asset for quick finishing. Life Orb not a great choice, Black Sludge would've been much better if it hadn't already been in use. Toxicroak takes some set up time that is hard to find in a 4v4 situation.

Tentacruel - Rain Dish - Black Sludge
Toxic Spikes
Rapid Spin
Hydro Pump
Hex
-Tentacruel proved ineffectively slow to set up and pointless. Ended up being a liability to my team. Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin were moot. Not enough status ailments for Hex and Jellicent wasn't as large of a threat as I thought previously. *Replacement thought: Landorous

I had really great games with a few people from smogon, and I loved being able to match trainers with smogon names. :) This proved to be a fun experience overall and you may see me again soon in random wifi matches.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
man again picollo???? lol.. and of course i haven't play since saturday so good first battle back..

edit: low kick ch (which wouldn't be a ohko without) made that an uphill battle i wasn't going to win (again) but props for attacking your own mon there at the end

Well, looks like the community is just full of little kids. Zach had to shut down the live spreadsheet since people can't seem to grow up.

And power to him for doing it too.

Well, looks like the community is just full of little kids. Zach had to shut down the live spreadsheet since people can't seem to grow up.

Whoever did it is more than welcome to message me and apologize - I would appreciate it and it will be kept confidential. However, if I find out who did it from someone other than the person confessing you will be called out and NOT hear the end of it ANYTIME soon.

It's a complete lack of integrity, and a waste of 3-4 hours of my time, as well as a few others who have kindly put forth their efforts. Grow up.

Eh this is coming to close, so I'll post my crutch team that I used for the first two days:

Abomasnow @ Focus Sash
Quiet, Snow Warning
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
~Blizzard
~Grass Knot
~Ice Shard
~Protect

Hail setter. Didn't use him as much as I should have. Being a -Spe nature really hurts as I don't really use Trick Room nor do I lead with him for weather wars.

Froslass @ Chariti Berry
Timid, Snow Cloak
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
~Hail
~Taunt
~Thunder Wave
~Ice Beam

My gimmick Mon, which is surprisingly decent. It's one of the faster Hail setters, as not a whole lot of stuff can learn Hail. People rely too much on auto-weather. Taunt has screwed over many a Trick Room setter. I may swap out Thunder Wave for Destiny Bond when playing Random Matchup. Snow Cloak saved me a few times.

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Timid, Sheer Force
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
~Earth Power
~Blizzard
~Flamethrower
~Protect

Blizzard spam and Special Attacker. Somewhat slow despite the speed investment, but can get the job done. Loves T-wave support from Froslass, but I think I'll try out Tailwind or whatever.

Arcanine @ Fire Gem
Adamant, Intimidate
252 HP / 78 Atk / 180 Spe
~Flare Blitz
~Close Combat
~ExtremeSpeed
~Protect

Don't ask about the spread, I got this off Pokecheck and was looking for a non-shiny one. Messes with physical attackers, but was pretty weak >.>

Regice **Nick Frost @Chesto Berry
Modest, Clear Body
252 HP / 116 Def / 108 SAtk / 4 SDef / 28 Spd
~Ice Beam
~Thunderbolt
~Amnesia
~Rest

Doesn't give two fucks about Rain teams, so as long as the commonly seen Toxicroak and Scizors are taken care of. If any physical attacks are gone, Regice is free to wall, not a whole lot can OHKO this guy. However, he can go down easily unless they're burned.

Rotom-W @ Ring Target
Timid, Levitate
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
~Thunderbolt
~Hydro Pump
~Trick
~Will-o-Wisp

Will-o-Miss was pretty crutch, and missed when I needed it the most. I thought Ring Target bypassed Abilites, I probably would've packed Garchomp if I had known earlier. Really cool for surprise KOing Gastrodon with Thunderbolt though.

If I play with Hail again, I may consider a Flame Orb Trick Rotom-H, Modest Abomasnow, moar Nidoking, Ally Switch Gardevoir, and perhaps Tailwind support. There's always next time, I kinda missed the Japanese presence in these tournaments

Although I obviously agree with you and whoever is messing with the spreadsheet is being incredibly immature, I don't think it's fair you call out the entire community for being little kids when it's just a select few that are doing it. Meh :/

OK, here's the team I used. Unlike the last two tournaments, this team was not the product of careful deliberation and testing. This team was the product of me going on Serebii.net and going "Oh shit that was today?! Quick, gotta make a team, gotta make a team, gotta make a team", firing up Black version, and throwing six of my EV trained mons in the battle box.

Ninetales@Wise Glasses
Drought
Timid nature
255 Sp. Atk/255 Spd
~SolarBeam
~Psyshock
~Nasty Plot
~Flamethrower

You can tell from this I had hastily settled on a sun team. Ninetales led nearly every battle, except if I saw T-tar, Hippowdon, or Politoed in Team Preview, because I knew Ninetales's ability would activate first, only to get cancelled out by Sand Stream or Drizzle. Did reasonably well, though the lack of the usual Focus Sash did hurt a bit.

Hitmontop@Muscle Band
Technician
Adamant nature
*forgot the EVs, but Attack was maxed out, and HP and Speed were involved*
~Bulldoze
~Fake Out
~Aerial Ace
~Mach Punch

Anyone who faced me in the International Challenge will recognize this as one of two Pokémon I always led with. Well, Hitmontop didn't get the top spot every match this time, but I always made sure to lead with it if there was a T-tar in Team Preview. Did reasonably well each time. Never used Bulldoze, though, as it could hit anything else on my team, whereas last time I had it paired with Yanmega.

Leafeon@Life Orb
Chlorophyll
Adamant nature
255 Atk/255 Spd
~Leaf Blade
~Grasswhistle
~X-Scissor
~Bite

Yeah, yeah, I know, Grasswhistle. In my defense, Leafeon's movepool leaves (heh, heh, see what I did there?) a lot to be desired. I did try Grasswhistle twice, as a last-ditch effort, and both times it failed me miserably. B2/W2 better include some sort of improvement to Leafeon's movepool. As far as sweeping goes, though, Leafeon did all right.

Druddigon@Leftovers
Rough Skin
Adamant nature
255 Atk/255 HP
~Earthquake
~Revenge
~Shadow Claw
~Dragon Claw

I'm not sure if I ever told you guys, but I was considering using this instead of the Zweilous that had helped me rock the past two tournaments, and in the end decided to give him a chance. Druddigon turned out to be a huge help. The bulk is incredible, Attack is through the roof, and I don't think many people saw Revenge coming. Rough Skin also bagged at least one KO. Not sure if Druddigon did better than Zweilous, but it's definitely a possibility at the moment.

Minun@Focus Sash
Minus
Timid nature
255 Sp. Atk/255 Spd
~Nasty Plot
~Thunderbolt
~Grass Knot
~Hidden Power (Dragon)

Don't laugh, Minun was far from dead weight, even without a teammate with Plus or Minus. Outspeeds more than you'd think, and even helped me win a battle or two. I know, I know, HP Dragon, yeah. I'm a bit lazy when it comes to breeding for specific Hidden Power types, which is why I consider it nothing short of a blessing when something good just falls into my lap, like...

Tangela@Eviolite
Chlorophyll
Modest nature
*I forget the EVs, pretty sure I maxed out Speed, definitely maxed out Sp. Atk*
~Sunny Day
~Hidden Power (Fire)
~SolarBeam
~Morning Sun

Yeah, you're reading that right. Morning Sun, not Synthesis. I caught this Tangela in XD as a Shadow Pokémon, and it literally turned out to have a Modest nature and HP Fire without me even trying for it. Only reason I never evolved it is cause I saved the game and tried it in Pearl, and it would've changed its ability to Leaf Guard as a Tangrowth. I hadn't gotten around to altering its moveset after EVing Ninetales, even though that was at least a year ago, which is why it still knows Sunny Day. Like I said, I threw this team together in a considerable hurry. But it was still a great help. Tangela really pulled its weight on the team, but its lack of effectiveness against Dragon-types really hurt it in the end.

EDIT: What's all this about a live spreadsheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)