International Wi-Fi Tournament - Autumn Friendly [OVER - Rankings Released Nov. 1st]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I used the same team that I put together for the Newark regional: Sash Terrakion, Charti Thundurus, Chople Scrafty, Sitrus Musharna, Gem Tornadus, and LO Hydreigon. Movesets and EVs were fairly standard. Officially went 26-1 for a rating of 1750 when I had time to play.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Well after having a nice 2000+ rating. Heres my team:

terrakion@choice scarf
adamant, 180 hp, 252 atk, 72 spe
-rock slide
-sacred sword
-close combat
-x scissor

thunderus@charti berry
bluecookies spread
t-wave,thunderbolt, hp fly, substitute

hydreigon@sitrus berry
252 hp, 140 sp.atk, 116 speed
dragonpulse, dark pulse, substitute, protect

amoonguss@cobaberry
calm 252 hp, 244 sp.def, 12 speed
spore, protect, rage powder, giga drain

Darmanitan@fire gem
adamant 252 atk, 252 speed
flare blitz, superpower, rockslide, protect

Jellicent@water gem
162 hp, 252 sp.atk, 90 spe
water spout, shadow ball, ice beam, protect

Well thats my team. Terrakion was definitely the mvp. I mean it survived Krookodiles EARTHQUAKE, and a few other normal ohko moves. Then amoonguss. OMG this beast of a pokemon. Followed by thunderus who basically parahaxed everything haha.

Talking to my friend by msn and waiting a battle then guess who showed? My friend XD

unfortunately the connection was lost : /

Oh no...I genuinely feel sorry for this girl, Silver*. Her highest leveled Pokémon was 22.

Her rating was something like 1240...How many matches must she have played, hoping for a win...

That one's not going on my win count. I genuinely hope she doesn't lose all love for Pokémon and/or cry after this. I really feel guilty...

What rating do people reckon will get you in the top 100. I've heard people with 2000 flying around, but i've only seen 2 people with that online. Then again, i only played 41 battles. And there seems to be alot of 1900+ players too.

You shoul check better your team members, because a while ago I battled against "PUGalactico - Aioros from Mexico", and it was indeed a tough battle, in which I was going to win. And at the last moment, when it was the final attack, this guy turned off his DS to avoid to lose his points. If this is the way Smogon plays, well it is a shame. This kind of people is making you to look worse before the world's eyes.
Bass from Perú.
I battled him, while he had a 1900+ ranking. I won, 4-0. He did not d/c on me. Maybe I was the lucky one?

Jthreau

formerly DoubleJG
Yep the Ghost Gem Golurk +Excavalier was me :) Thanks for the mention.
Can't fully remember our battle I might have lost, but did I use stone edge then uturn vs your amoongus? If so then yes I lost.

Good game nonetheless, I have lots to learn!

Have another lecture in few minutes, I'll read through this forum later

AZ
If I remember correctly, yes, that is the strategy you used. I believe that I took your Golurk down with my Vanilluxe after the OHKO it dealt my Mienshao, but your Excavalier ended up being a bit tricky. Aside from hitting it with a neutral Rock Slide, I lacked solid counter for Excavalier and Durant this tournament. :(

Yeah, I'm done. My rating is a joke. There is no way in hell I am ever gonna claim victory when the tournament ends tonight and my rating is 1562. I had it over 1600 at one point, but then... Yeah. So, might as well post my team, the team that would have gotten me a lot farther were it not for my busy schedule and the odd lost connection. I mean, I had fun, definitely, but they really need to do something to discourage ragequits.

OK, hold that thought. Pressed buttons absentmindedly, and now I have an opponent. I'll post my team once the battle's done.

EDIT: Won the battle, quit the competition, and here's the team.

Emboar@Life Orb
Brave nature
255 HP/255 Atk
~Hammer Arm
~Wild Charge
~Protect
~Flare Blitz

One of the two Pokémon I almost always led with, Musharna being the other. Between the recoil moves and the Life Orb, made a great kamikaze attacker. And you did not want to be on the receiving end of its Flare Blitz when Blaze was activated, oh, no, you did not. Also, between this thing's Hammer Arm and Musharna's Trick Room, I had no trouble with that "dreaded" TerraCott combo.

Musharna@Mental Herb
Quiet nature
255 HP/255 Sp. Atk
Telepathy
~Charge Beam
~Energy Ball
~Shadow Ball
~Trick Room

The other Pokémon I always led with. I kinda regret not teaching it Psychic, but I do admit that the moves it had served me really well. Originally, Emboar was gonna have Earthquake to take advantage of Telepathy, but when practicing on random matchup, I found the moves it already had worked perfectly for it. Mental Herb surprisingly didn't come into effect too often. It was intended to prevent Taunt from tripping up Trick Room setup. Only had to activate twice, and one of those times was on a Mandibuzz's Attract. More often, the opponent's Pokémon would just gang up on Musharna with attacking moves instead.

Escavalier@Muscle Band
Adamant nature
255 Atk/255 HP (noticing a pattern here?)
Swarm
~X-Scissor
~Aerial Ace
~Swords Dance
~Iron Head

Probably the Pokémon that saw the least use. If the opponent was packing a Fire-type, Escavalier was not selected for the battle. And between all the Chandelure, all the Volcarona, and the occasional Emboar, I didn't use Escavalier too often. When I did use it, however, it wasn't too bad.

Conkeldurr@Leftovers
Adamant nature
(forget the EVs; I think they're similar, if not identical, to the standard Conkeldurr set, but I can't be certain)
Guts
~Drain Punch
~Bulk Up
~Mach Punch
~Payback

One of the main reasons why I wasn't completely screwed over if I couldn't set up Trick Room. Conkeldurr proved its worth with and without Trick Room time and time again. I originally ran an Eelektross in place of this (Acid Spray/Flash Cannon/Thunderbolt/Flamethrower), but it just wasn't working out. Makes me glad I went for some random matchup practice before I registered the battle box.

Zweilous@Eviolite
Adamant nature
255 Atk/255 HP
Hustle
~Crunch
~Protect
~Fire Fang
~Outrage

Bred this beauty up before the tournament was even announced. Zweilous did OK in single battles without Trick Room, but it was in this tournament where it really shined. Hustle hax was minimal, and it OHKO'd so much stuff. And don't doubt the might of the Eviolite on this thing. Among the attacks it's taken and survived include a Haxorus's Dragon Claw. Yeah. Easily one of the stars of my team. I sometimes led with this in place of Emboar.

Beheeyem@Wise Glasses
Quiet nature
255 Sp. Atk/255 HP
Synchronize
~Shadow Ball
~Psychic
~Thunderbolt
~Trick Room

At first, Beheeyem was slapped onto my team as a last resort, a backup Trick Room setup machine. But this beautiful thing exceeded my expectations and then some, proving on multiple occasions to be more competent at sweeping than Musharna. The only reason I consistently led with Musharna instead is because it had a better chance of actually setting up Trick Room, between its better bulk and Mental Herb.

You shoul check better your team members, because a while ago I battled against "PUGalactico - Aioros from Mexico", and it was indeed a tough battle, in which I was going to win. And at the last moment, when it was the final attack, this guy turned off his DS to avoid to lose his points. If this is the way Smogon plays, well it is a shame. This kind of people is making you to look worse before the world's eyes.
Bass from Perú.
Don´t know what you speak, I have not battled anyone from Peru. Even I started to play around an hour ago or maybe you played with another person does not make sense what you say. I didn´t DC I´m tired from this. I have had a lot of disconections by players around the world during the tournament and you don´t see me making riot here.

I had a 2006 rating and I lost with DTIsra from here and another guy and I didn´t turn off the ds, I hope reach de 2000´s again for stop this tournament.

Ah, I said last night that I was done, however I was tempted to play a few more. Played one 1650+ guy and he didn't disconnect, then played a 1896 guy named Zack, I think he was from Florida and he did not disconnect. Thanks both of you, it was an honor battling people who doesn't disconnect!

Well, that it for me guys for this tournament. I locked in 110 battles and I finished with a win/loss of 103-7 albeit about 5 or so disconnections on my part, I must admit. But what's a completion of a WiFi tournament without a few disconnections? LOL. Anyway, my rating is 2020, I think that's a solid score to land me in the top 100, I hope.

Anyway, hopefully I'll see you guys in the next WeeFee tournament! :)

Don´t know what you speak, I have not battled anyone from Peru. Even I started to play around an hour ago or maybe you played with another person does not make sense what you say. I didn´t DC I´m tired from this. I have had a lot of disconections by players around the world during the tournament and you don´t see me making riot here.

I had a 2006 rating and I lost with DTIsra from here and another guy and I didn´t turn off the ds, I hope reach de 2000´s again for stop this tournament.
So... we are battling now XD

3 more disconnects/3 games.

I seriously cannot wait for generation 6, on the condition that GF fixes the disconnect problem - giving credit to the non-disconnector for the win, and giving losers points regardless of the loss.

Then there will be no reason to disconnect, and no drawback in being disconnected on. IE, everyone will have fun. Even the losers.

Edit: Okay, WTF? I just played fake out against this guy, it hit first, and then HE FAKED ME OUT! WTF? I'll save the video if he doesn't DC.
Edit 2: Forfeited; then DCed!

3 more disconnects/3 games.

I seriously cannot wait for generation 6, on the condition that GF fixes the disconnect problem - giving credit to the non-disconnector for the win, and giving losers points regardless of the loss.

Then there will be no reason to disconnect, and no drawback in being disconnected on. IE, everyone will have fun. Even the losers.
As I previously said in this thread, create an optional isolated Gray ladder where you can apply that, you're going to do the 3rd game on 3DS anyways, might as well do significant improvements for once.

GG Solace,finally got a battle post. I may have lost to a misplay but I don't really care,it was a very good battle.
Edit:It didn't record...
THE OPTION DIDN'T EVEN SHOW UP!

As I previously said in this thread, create an optional isolated Gray ladder where you can apply that, you're going to do the 3rd game on 3DS anyways, might as well do significant improvements for once.
"free" battles like this are better off rewarding attempts than punishing players.

If I play a game against a newb and win in 2 turns, I get 3 points and he gets 1 point (x 2 if I am much higher ranked than him). We've both made out better.

I don't think you can edit how a G5 tourney works... unless you do a seperate ap/DL game.... which would be even more akward than pokeshifting.

So it's G6 or bust. Which is pretty disappointing.

They're a rumor they're doing no 3rd game and remakes of G3. None of which matters.

What they need to do is do a G5 3DS game. significantly more memory, you could easily do a G5 game that has G4, G3, and G2 built in as optional after quests. Revised online battle system. Although I wouldn't mind waiting for this until after G6 comes out... for the 3ds.

Edit: 5/5 disconnects today. Thanks GF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)